Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #16
toystory1130
Mouseketeer

We got smart after Jr. prom last year and scoured the Goodwill's for tux's for this years prom. We lucked up and found a great basic one for 15 bucks. He had a white dress shirt, found the shiny shoes in "perfect" condition for 5 at a yard sale. Add in cleaning for the tux at the dry cleaners and we spent maybe $30 bucks total. Oh and add a vest and tie new from eBay, we just sold something to buy it so that was a wash. He already had his prom last weekend, he had a blast and we didn't have to spend a fortune.
Caribbean Beach 2004 * Old Key West 2005 * Pop Century 2007 * Port Orleans Riverside 2008 * All Star Music Christmas 2008 * Beach Club Villa June 2009 * All Star Music Oct 2009 * Port Orleans Riverside June 2010 * Caribbean Beach June 2011 * Coronado Springs 2012 * Residence Inn at Seaworld 2013
toystory1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #17
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I was surprised how much it cost - we got the basic black tux, vest, tie, shoes, hankerchief, white shirt, suspenders - it is 187.50 to rent. That includes the 20.00 rush fee because we rented it on Monday and Prom was tonight.

I wish he'd known he was going earlier so we had time to shop around but we didn't. Once I heard the price I wanted to just buy him a suit but he wanted the tux because that's what all the other guys were wearing. He was very happy with the tux and said he looked awesome so that's a good thing.

On the plus side, we looked around the store and he liked their dress pants and dress shirts and ties so we'll probably go back there when they have a sale on those. He needs a few of those for upcoming events.

Connie

Not sure when my next trip will be

WDW: 16 family trips, 9 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #18
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA View Post
Men's Warehouse is pricey. My son's high school has some sort of relationship with them, so he had received $40 off coupons in the mail a few months ago. Plus, school sent them home too. I had been warned by other moms to avoid it. The place we went is a local place that rents for all occasions, but it is a popular place for wedding parties, and has been in the area for years.
Yeah, that's what I'm not figuring out but they were the closest to the house, and then there was the big bridal place. Otherwise, I didn't know where to go. Guess I should have researched this one better. Sheesh. I did have the $40 coupon and I got that because my husband has bought a few suits there.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #19
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaSleepingBeautyFan View Post
I was surprised how much it cost - we got the basic black tux, vest, tie, shoes, hankerchief, white shirt, suspenders - it is 187.50 to rent. That includes the 20.00 rush fee because we rented it on Monday and Prom was tonight.

I wish he'd known he was going earlier so we had time to shop around but we didn't. Once I heard the price I wanted to just buy him a suit but he wanted the tux because that's what all the other guys were wearing. He was very happy with the tux and said he looked awesome so that's a good thing.

On the plus side, we looked around the store and he liked their dress pants and dress shirts and ties so we'll probably go back there when they have a sale on those. He needs a few of those for upcoming events.
The only positive thing I have to say about getting ripped off is that at least my son's sleeves will be long enough. He is thin with LONG arms. When I had to buy him a suit a few years ago, I had to scour the stores just to find one where he didn't look ridiculous because the sleeves were too short. I actually doubt there would have been any way I could have gotten some deal on a tux-like suit for him and found one with long enough arms. The person at Men's Warehouse was emphatic that the jacket would have long enough sleeves.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 04-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #20
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
The only positive thing I have to say about getting ripped off is that at least my son's sleeves will be long enough.
I bet your son agrees. I hope he has a wonderful prom!
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #21
PlutoPony
DIS Veteran

Don't feel bad, my son used Men's Warehouse too
$140 out the door with the $40 off coupon.

This is gonna be an expensive weekend. Big group is going to Sequoia in Georgetown for dinner first. But hey, Senior Prom only comes once
PlutoPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #22
disykat
DIS Veteran

Around here, people can pay 140 - 200 to rent a Tux.

For senior prom, we bought tuxes for both the boys since they are musicians and would need them for music ensembles in college. I just got a tux recently for 50% off at JC Penney's plus using an extra 20% off coupon. I was out the door for $145, with the pants, jacket, ruffled shirt, cummerbund, and bow tie. I am THRILLED. We didn't get a vest since he won't need it for concerts and we don't know what color his date's dress is yet. (His prom isn't until June) I've been watching sales for a while since I knew the drill from shopping for his older brother.

Prior to that, my kids wore a dark suit to all the dances. Then all we had to do was a new tie to match their date. Other kids rented tuxes and spent about what we spent on the suits that they've worn over and over.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #23
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoPony View Post
Don't feel bad, my son used Men's Warehouse too
$140 out the door with the $40 off coupon.

This is gonna be an expensive weekend. Big group is going to Sequoia in Georgetown for dinner first. But hey, Senior Prom only comes once
Don't schools do proms in the gym or local hotels anymore?? My DS's prom (it is Jr/Sr combined) is on a NYC cruise on the Hudson River. While that is a really cool place to have prom, it is also not cheap. $130 a ticket. It does include dinner, but since DS isn't working right now, I paid for his ticket. My DH and I don't even spend that much when we go out! And since DS has a steady girlfriend, we thought it would be the right thing for him to pay for her ticket too- but she said no. She said she would pay for his if he would pay for hers.
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #24
maslex
DIS Veteran

My son is a sophomore but is going with his girlfriend to her junior prom on May 11.

We just rented his tux last week. It cost us $84.50 out the door. Pants, jacket, shirt, vest, regular tie and shoes. We could have driven about an hour away to the mall and spent well over $100 OR I found out that a local dry cleaner rents tuxes. So needless to say, I went with the dry cleaner.
maslex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:52 AM   #25
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

Quote:
Don't schools do proms in the gym or local hotels anymore?? My DS's prom (it is Jr/Sr combined) is on a NYC cruise on the Hudson River. While that is a really cool place to have prom, it is also not cheap. $130 a ticket. It does include dinner, but since DS isn't working right now, I paid for his ticket. My DH and I don't even spend that much when we go out! And since DS has a steady girlfriend, we thought it would be the right thing for him to pay for her ticket too- but she said no. She said she would pay for his if he would pay for hers.
Our school does their prom in the school commons. Tickets are still $40 per person and I am still trying to figure out what they did with all that money. There was the DJ and croc pot food the teachers put together in the morning at the school on a long table the kids serve themselves from. The tables have simple plastic table clothes no other decorations. McDonalds donates the plates and cups. They get 2 liters of Aldi's soda. Most of the stores donate the food too. The kids clean up after themselves and take down the tables to dance.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:12 AM   #26
Christine

Quote:
Don't schools do proms in the gym or local hotels anymore??
I graduated in 1981 and my Prom was at The Mayflower Hotel in Washington, DC (I lived in a suburb about 20 miles outside of DC). Since I lived in a town that had NOTHING, we drove to Virginia for dinner, and then over to DC for Prom. Oh, it was "the prom" back then.

My son's Prom in its entirety is being held at the Quantico Marine Base Officer's Club so the $100 includes dinner and the dance. I can't really complain about that!

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 04-28-2013, 05:14 AM   #27
Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslex View Post
My son is a sophomore but is going with his girlfriend to her junior prom on May 11.

We just rented his tux last week. It cost us $84.50 out the door. Pants, jacket, shirt, vest, regular tie and shoes. We could have driven about an hour away to the mall and spent well over $100 OR I found out that a local dry cleaner rents tuxes. So needless to say, I went with the dry cleaner.
When I was in high school, my part time job was working at a dry cleaners. And we rented tuxedos!! I looked around my area for that and no one does it anymore. I was poking around the internet last night to see where else I could have gone and it looks like Jos. A. Banks does it; however, their introductory price, just for the tux, was $69. Men's Warehouse has $59, so I don't think I was going to do better than the awful price I got. I think I'm just a victim of a high cost of living area!!! No mom and pop outlets at all.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 04-28-2013, 05:35 AM   #28
maslex
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I graduated in 1989 and our senior prom was down at the Marina. Beautiful outside prom.

My son's girlfriend's junior prom is going to be at our Town Hall. I'll have to ask him how much the tickets are though, never thought to ask.
maslex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:42 AM   #29
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Last year, men's warehouse, with the coupon, under $100 for all of it. Thankfully, he wanted simple classic no fancy anything no vest simple black bow tie. He looked adorable and it took all of 15 minutes.

His date wore a gold dress. They looked so good together. Too bad she turned out to be a train wreck. Or, actually my son may have been the train wreck in that relationship.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #30
MidgeD79
DIS Veteran

Tuxes around here rent for $200+
MidgeD79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: