Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #31
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpersfriend View Post
This is what friends said to me when we asked them to go with us in 2015. They have no idea about the cost because they have never been. We would love to have them come with us, but we will be staying at the cabins and we know they would love it like we do. So now they are thinking we should price the values or stay offsite. How do you explain that they have 2 years to save up ? Do any of you run into this and what have you said. They almost made me feel foolish for spending that much money for a vacation.
The number of years they have to save has no bearing on what they want to spend on the trip.

Why does it have to be the cabins for them just because you want the cabins. Let them stay where they want.

The first thing that we talk about is how much is the max you want to spend. Then I ask, where would you like to stay and on. If their hotel/resort choice is more than they can spend, then we discuss that.
ilovemk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:48 AM   #32
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy Belle View Post
I'm planning a four day trip to Branson Missouri and its going to be close to what a Disney trip is! Maybe they don't vacation at all? Seriously...hotel room, a show ever day, mini golf, go-carts, wax museum... it all adds up. Disney is expensive, but vacationing, in general, is expensive! Part of it is just that people tend to stay longer at Disney!
Branson is expensive for all the same reasons as Disney - almost everything you do comes with a price tag. Same is true of Wisconsin Dells, and I assume the same of Gatlinburg, Sandusky, and other similar vacations. There are lots of places though that can be done MUCH cheaper.
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #33
Fire14
Spartan Living in land of Buckeyes.

I personally have issues paying more for less at Disney cabins. I will usually stay Value as I am rarely in room except to sleep and Shower, I occasionally will spluge on a moderate but I have a hard time spending more to stay in cabins. Granted in nondisney world I'm happy with super 8, the few times I stayed at marriot I hated it, felt really out of place.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #34
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
You make a lot of great points, but I did want to address the idea of "rather stay home than do it on the cheap". While I understand the sentiment, I also think that's usually the kind or statement that comes from someone who has the means to travel more luxuriously. When you're actually faced with the possibility of perhaps having to stay home instead of vacation, it really changes your priorities
Actually I think it's comes more from experience and knowing what works.
I've been on the "no" vacation side many many times and truthfully I've always been the type where I rather wait than just go to say I went on vacation.

For example, I know my family tried the values. We were absolutely miserable Now what sense is there to spend a thousand dollars to take a cheap vacation and be miserable?

Nope, we quickly learned that we'd rather wait 2,3, 4 years and stay how we want.

For us we have some things that we feel are "non" bendable. Now other areas are totally wide open, off site is totally wonderful so that's one area that we can compromise on.

We have had times when staycations were what we did simply because from experience we knew that if we made cuts we were always left disappointed.

I think just over the years we've figured out what issues made our vacations memorable and what items made our vacations stink.

Another example happen early last year, dh was feeling pretty good and some one gave us the opportunity to do the Alaskan cruise which we both wanted to do. We really couldn't swing the type of cabin we wanted. We toyed with the idea of moving down 2 cabin grades to an interior but in the long run we knew that we would both be unhappy with that cabin. We passed.
I'm still planning on doing the cruise with my sons but I'll save until we can get the cabin we like
Old 04-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #35
PatsGirl
Kids will write the darndest things
I'm a fan of the Red Sox and anyone who beats the Yankees
I can't believe my parents lived through my shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post

So yeah a Disney vacation can be costly. It depends on how you travel.

See that's the problem sure I can go rock bottom but I would be miserable. I hate the values, I'm not lugging snacks, water and lunch to the parks and we love to eat a big breakfast.

I listen to some suggestions on the budget board and truthfully I'd rather stay home if I had to do some of the things people do to get to Disney. NOT saying it's wrong just that in my world "cheaply" does not always equal a good vacation.

I absolutely agree that you need to compare apples to apples and I am also one that believes "cheaply" does not always equal a good vacation. That being said, while we most often stay in values at around $69/night (try to beat that price anywhere!), we do not lug our water, snacks, and lunch with us at WDW although when we do a beach vacation we often pack a cooler for lunch because that's what we LIKE to do and it is rare for us to stay in a resort atmosphere if we are doing amusement parks commando.

I'd have a hard time skimping the way some do but no problem at all with sharing meals with DD so we can both have appetizers and dessert...rather share than throw away honestly and its more about that than the $$.

So, it is a matter of personal preference and of course, like another pp relayed, each persons' idea of luxury and/or fun is subjective. My only point was that you can do WDW without splitting a pb&j between two kids, drinking foul bubbler FL water, and sleeping three to a bed and still have a great, not so expensive, vacation.
Last night my sister and I were sitting in the den and I said to her, "I never want to live in a vegetative state, dependent on some machine and fluids from a bottle to keep me alive. That would be no quality of life at all. If that ever happens, just pull the plug!" So she got up, unplugged the computer, and threw out my wine.

Brenda , Ed :Jacob 24 Alexandra 17 and two steps ~ Shawn 25 Nichole 24

SO turned husband March 2013

Next up ~ Halloween Horror Nights 2013 at Universal

F&W/FD for September 2012 with DD and SO who's a Disney virgin...this could be a dealbreaker

Celebrated my 50th with DD at Disneyland April 2011
PatsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #36
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

No rule says you have to stay at the same place. I went on a friend's birthday trip and our group stayed in 3 different places. She and her family stayed at FW in their RV, sister and husband stayed at All Star, me and another friend stayed at AKV. We just met up at the chosen park each morning.

Also, no rule that everyone has to do the same thing the whole time. I think a mistake alot of people make with group trips is expecting everyone to want to do the same thing. When I go with friends, even though we are in the same room we have a rule that everyone is free to do something different at any time, no hard feelings.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #37
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
Actually I think it's comes more from experience and knowing what works.
I've been on the "no" vacation side many many times and truthfully I've always been the type where I rather wait than just go to say I went on vacation.

For example, I know my family tried the values. We were absolutely miserable Now what sense is there to spend a thousand dollars to take a cheap vacation and be miserable?

Nope, we quickly learned that we'd rather wait 2,3, 4 years and stay how we want.

For us we have some things that we feel are "non" bendable. Now other areas are totally wide open, off site is totally wonderful so that's one area that we can compromise on.

We have had times when staycations were what we did simply because from experience we knew that if we made cuts we were always left disappointed.

I think just over the years we've figured out what issues made our vacations memorable and what items made our vacations stink.

Another example happen early last year, dh was feeling pretty good and some one gave us the opportunity to do the Alaskan cruise which we both wanted to do. We really couldn't swing the type of cabin we wanted. We toyed with the idea of moving down 2 cabin grades to an interior but in the long run we knew that we would both be unhappy with that cabin. We passed.
I'm still planning on doing the cruise with my sons but I'll save until we can get the cabin we like
True enough - everyone has their own lines to draw about what is and isn't acceptable, and what sacrifices are too much before the trip is no longer desirable. Hopefully, you and your sons will get to do that cruise before long and to do it up right just as you and your husband would have liked
Old 04-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #38
rebeccalizzie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
You make a lot of great points, but I did want to address the idea of "rather stay home than do it on the cheap". While I understand the sentiment, I also think that's usually the kind or statement that comes from someone who has the means to travel more luxuriously. When you're actually faced with the possibility of perhaps having to stay home instead of vacation, it really changes your priorities
Not for everyone We are a single income family, and my DH is a police officer, so we obviously don't have the means to travel luxuriously

There is no WAY we would squish our family of 5 into one small room and bring PB and J into the park. That's not a vacation, that would be just miserable for us, so I truly would rather stay home if that's the only way we can afford Disney. And that's what we've done so far--This is our first big family vacation since we got married 12 years ago
rebeccalizzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: