Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
thumpersfriend
DIS Veteran

Disney vacation costs HOW MUCH!!!!!!

This is what friends said to me when we asked them to go with us in 2015. They have no idea about the cost because they have never been. We would love to have them come with us, but we will be staying at the cabins and we know they would love it like we do. So now they are thinking we should price the values or stay offsite. How do you explain that they have 2 years to save up ? Do any of you run into this and what have you said. They almost made me feel foolish for spending that much money for a vacation.
thumpersfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpersfriend View Post
This is what friends said to me when we asked them to go with us in 2015. They have no idea about the cost because they have never been. We would love to have them come with us, but we will be staying at the cabins and we know they would love it like we do. So now they are thinking we should price the values or stay offsite. How do you explain that they have 2 years to save up ? Do any of you run into this and what have you said. They almost made me feel foolish for spending that much money for a vacation.
Everyone has a different level of what is acceptable for vacation planning. For some, Disney is once-in-a-lifetime, for others, the priority is to go often. I don't think you can change anyone's mind about that. They either want to do it or they don't.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpersfriend View Post
They can probably figure that part out. Like the PP said, everyone has a different amount that they are comfortable spending.
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Maybe they could stay at a value and you could still stay in your cabin? Or have them price the moderates. Even those are quite a bit less than the cabins if I'm not mistaken.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
DeaverTex
Smelling like a horse doesn't make you a cavalryman
I'd wear a pair. I might even be able to get Mrs. Tex to wear some
I need to provide sufficient background in every post to make sense

There is absolutely nothing you can say to a person who has never been to WDW, and is horrified at the cost, that will change their mind. In a way they're right, ya know. Spending a couple of grand (or several couples of grand!) on a week of vacation makes no sense to most of the people I know.

And saving for vacation doesn't work for some (many?) people, because something always comes along that requires just exactly the amount saved so far, plus a little more. Your car's transmission locks up and you need $800 to fix it, a hailstorm destroys your roof and the insurance cancels because there are too many claims so you're out $1,500, the water heater dies and it costs $3,000 for a new one because the installation has to be brought up to current code, a 30 year old sewer line collapses (the part in your yard) and it costs $7,000 to replace it, and on and on. Those things are common experience, and they put people off of saving money for something special.

Don't try to convince your friends. If the cost of a WDW vacation shocks them, it doesn't matter how you try to show that it's not very much per month, or that it compares to something else. All they'll hear and think is that somebody wants them to drop the cost of a small car on a vacation -- and that person must be either rich, or very foolish about money.

If your friends take one trip every two or three years, and spend less than a thousand bucks on it, then you're probably better off dropping the subject. If they take a small, inexpensive trip once a year, why would they want to give that up for a couple of years so they can afford a big trip to a place they know nothing about?

If your friends don't want to go to WDW as much as you do -- and maybe more if they've never been and seen what it can offer -- then I would say to drop the subject.

Deaver Tex Mrs. Tex Tex Jr.

7-10 October 2012 - POR
Nothing else planned right now.

DeaverTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #6
carrie1626
DIS Veteran

TIP: Keep reading these boards!!

IMHO, I would cabash the idea considering their reaction. Give in once, and by the time you're packing, it'll be their vacation with you going along
2000 NOV Polynesian 2001 OCT AS Music 2002 AUG Grosvenor DD 2003 AUG DoubleTree DD 2004 NOV Port Orleans French Quarter 2006 NOV POP Century 2010 AUG Animal KingdomLodge 2011 NOV Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 NOV HGVC Internat'l Dr 25th Anniversary trip DEC 2013 POP/Caribbean Beach Resort I have to wait until 2015!
carrie1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
PeterPanic
DIS Veteran

Or you could look into a Large Vacation Villa just offsite. It would have everything you needed, with more luxury, and be a third (I'm guessing) of the cost of the Cabins onsite. I took my family a few years ago, rented a 6 bedroom villa, for around $1800 for a week, total, plus they threw in a free car rental.

The place would make the Grand Floridian look like a slum. There are other options besides the cabins. I'm sure you like them but you have to understand that not everyone is willing to, or can, spend that kind of money for a vacation. I'm thinking a compromise is in the line of a reasonable expectation and compromise means concessions on both ends. I honestly don't think you would regret it at all if these are people that you feel would be enjoyable traveling companions. Course, there's not always a guarantee of that either.
PeterPanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPanic View Post
Or you could look into a Large Vacation Villa just offsite. It would have everything you needed, with more luxury, and be a third (I'm guessing) of the cost of the Cabins onsite. I took my family a few years ago, rented a 6 bedroom villa, for around $1800 for a week, total, plus they threw in a free car rental.

The place would make the Grand Floridian look like a slum. There are other options besides the cabins. I'm sure you like them but you have to understand that not everyone is willing to, or can, spend that kind of money for a vacation. I'm thinking a compromise is in the line of a reasonable expectation and compromise means concessions on both ends. I honestly don't think you would regret it at all if these are people that you feel would be enjoyable traveling companions. Course, there's not always a guarantee of that either.
I was going to suggest renting off site but I know people can be diehards about that.

I have gone on WDW trips with friends and I really, really wanted to go with these friends so I compromised and rented an offsite home. It is TONS cheaper, very relaxing, and my friends got to experience Disney for the first time at a cost that was comfortable to them. After they went for the first time and got "the fever" they were more amendable to looking at on-site places.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Also remember op, that you're posting on a Disney board so many folks here are use to the price.

No matter how you cut it, Disney is an expensive vacation. Period, yes it can be done "cheaper" but it is always expensive.

So if I were to try any thing it would be to try and point out value for the dollar. I'm a Disney fanatic and there are areas that I still think are not worth the money.

500 bucks for a deluxe? not in my life, not because that's expensive but because Disney's deluxes are glorified marriots and I know what else I can get for that price.

I would simply point out why you enjoy the world and why you think it's worth the price.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
Jill in Chicago
DIS Veteran

I would let the whole idea go, and instead plan an inexpensive weekend trip with them, maybe all stay at a hotel with a great pool....

I really like the idea of major family vacations to be just family. That way the focus is on family and togetherness. Once you add in extra friends, then family tends to break up into non-family units. For instance if you are all by the pool the adult focus switches to the adults all talking and the kids playing together, versus if it is just the immediate family you tend to all play together.

Of course this is not every family, it is simply what I see.
Jill in Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #11
carissa1970
DIS Veteran

I've been following a post on here about biggest WDW mistakes people have made, and probably the number one is traveling with friends and family. They all say that they weren't allowed to vacation the way they wanted to. Perhaps reconsider.

carissa1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #12
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpersfriend
When we were getting ready for our first trip in 2009, I had an idea that it would be expensive so we really didn't have sticker shock.

We went with my brother's family and early into the planning stages sil told me abt this site, mouse savers.com and the disney site. These all helped me plan and understand the costs involved. We stayed onsite and now would have a difficult time staying offsite.

We had a truly magical first trip with them.

Good luck!
Southernmiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #13
Katie Dawn
DIS Veteran

If your priority is to take a vacation in 2015 with your family, and you want to stay at Fort Wilderness, then I would let it go. It IS a very expensive vacation and I would not be motivated to pay anywhere near that much if I had never been to Disney before. And even DISers have to admit not every person that visits Disney walks away with the same affection that we do.

If the most important thing you are hoping for this trip, though, is to show your friends how great Disney is because you know they will love it, you could absolutely rent a vacation home or condo off-site. You could even visit Fort Wilderness during the vacation.

Since we're talking about a trip that is 2 years away, though, though I doubt you are willing to sacrifice your long-planned and hoped-for vacation in order to talk your friends into going. I don't think there's anyway to convince them that the current plan is worth the price. They will have to experience the "magic" first and even then they might never want to (or be able to) spend that much on one vacation.

As you plan, remember... there's nothing magical about being exhausted.

January 2010 Trip to the World: Absolutely Wonderful! Thank You Disboards!
Katie Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #14
Katie Dawn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill in Chicago View Post
I would let the whole idea go, and instead plan an inexpensive weekend trip with them, maybe all stay at a hotel with a great pool....
Ooo... Now that's an idea!

As you plan, remember... there's nothing magical about being exhausted.

January 2010 Trip to the World: Absolutely Wonderful! Thank You Disboards!
Katie Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #15
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

This doesn't work for everyone, but I have a tendancy to start with worst case scenario and then work down from there.

Maybe that's what your friends are doing. You start them off with a $7,000 trip, they get sticker shock, then they start looking for ways to trim that back to $6, $5, maybe $4,000 or less. Now all of a sudden that sounds doable. So, they get fired up about it, make the arrangements, and then as time gets closer, they realize they have a little more $ available, so they decide to splurge on a few things. Sometimes, it's easier to swallow the price if you can shave a little off the top.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: