Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
Daydreamer64
DIS Veteran

Our food allergy experience at DL/DCA 4/18-4/25

We just returned from a wonderful trip to Disneyland with a child who has several food allergies and thought that I would share some of our experiences.

DS is allergic to peanuts, eggs, tree nuts, all crustations like shrimp and shelled sea food, peas, and green beans.

The complete trip report is in the Disneyland community board under - "We just got back from a wonderful first trip to Disneyland 4/18" .

We compared the WDW parks to the Dl parks for hopping and other things but I knew that you guys with food challenges would probably be interested in this part of the report for sure.

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3102560

A benefit of being able to quickly hop between Dl and DCA, at least for us, with a food allergic child was that certain places had foods that DS could eat without having worries that he would have an allergic reaction. We could go to either park, play for the morning and then go to any rest in either park to eat with less then an average of a ten min walk.

We were surprised that all of the rest didn't have the same food venders. It seemed that if one had a good food substitute such as rice pasta- some pastas have egg white in them, that all of the pasta serving places would have that but we were told many times by different chefs that each rest had their own "stuff".

Also, WDW used to have the egg free Mickey Waffles. We asked in several places for the EF waffle and were told that DL does not offer this item. DS was disappointed to say the least. DS was looking forward to having one of these for breakfast instead of his usual cereal and bacon choices while traveling.

This caused us a bit of frustration as some of the food places had egg in their pasta, for example, and did not offer an alternative, and other rest. could offer the alternative for our DS to eat.

It seemed that as a whole, DL and DCA rests should have been more uniform in their suppliers and able to attain or carry similar items but we were told not so.

I can't for the life of me figure this out but we were told several times at different places that the roast beef was roasted in ovens with peanut products????

So, even at sub places he couldn't have just the meat unless it was turkey. He loves turkey but not for a week at every meal-

Also, he couldn't eat several buns/breads for dogs, burgers, or subs as the bread is made out of house and therefore couldn't be guaranteed to be egg free.

We ate at Goofy's Kitchen- the chef fixed him pasta with marinara sauce and cheese pizza- it was on the food bar but so was peanut butter pizza and the chance of cross contamination was VERY HIGH so he had his own slices taken from a fresh pie before it went on the bar.

Red Rockets had cheese pizza again and he enjoyed the bread sticks with sauce as well.

New Orleans Square had a rest. that served the rice pasta and my DS loved having something different from burgers and dogs for one afternoon. Pasta isn't the only thing that he eats but that was just a real life example that we ran across.

New Orleans Café fixed a beautiful plate with pasta, fruit, broccoli, and apples mixed.

We found this place on day four and so son was sick of the same foods- turkey!!!!!

Judging by the practically clean licked plate and the comment by DS that he wanted to "kiss the cook"- - which he did, as he asked to speak to the cook after his meal, to tell him that the food really tasted good.

I am sure that Chef Jose was quite surprised to get a hug and kiss from our child- at which point we tried to stop DS as even though the chef's apron looked very clean, it probably had food allergens all over it!

No harm came from it as we had instructed DS to hug the characters if he wanted to at Goofy's Kitchen, but to make sure that he turned his face sideways to avoid all the food contaminate containing kisses from the other kids, so he remembered safety first with his food allergies.

We still had him wash off his face immediately and take a Benadryl for good measure. We were as surprised as Jose about the hug and kiss - he blew the kiss just for clarification!

How's that for gratification? Jose was gracious and accepted the thank you with a big smile on his face. I know it takes some time away form the chef's duties to cater to food allergic people and I am sure that he was happy to get such a heart felt thank you from DS.

We felt bad as we thought that up to that point, we were serving DS different foods each meal but in hindsight, it was a lot of turkey.

The Hungry Bear Café served DS a bunless hamburger with sweet potato fries. If we get to go back we will get the adult portion burger as the kids version was all bun- no bun for DS and so there was a sorry bit of meat patty about the size of a White House/Krystle burger and so not enough food for a 7 year old boy. Add that to the fact that he was not impressed with sweet potato fries and he left hungry.

We made it up to him, as soon he had a frozen lemonade in his hot little hands. No, he did not eat a very balanced diet this trip but what the heck our hands were tied and he had a good time so it's vacation.

He will get in his fruits/vegis and so on at home this week. Isn't lemonade a fruit choice- I guess he got in some vegis too as popcorn counts as a vegi, doesn't it?

Rainforest Café was more then helpful and DS was quite happy with his bunless (big) hotdog and side of corn.

We had dinner at Naples in DTD one evening were DH had a business meal that included all the family of the conference attendees. This was a very nice set up but unfortunately the food allergy police had to be in full force again this evening.

DS was not able to eat the app of bruschetta, so the chef made him pizza dough, cut it and added garlic butter for bread sticks.

The Italian meats and cheeses were just fine for DS.

The salad was skipped as DS does not have a taste for bitter greens yet. Come to think of it, neither do Dad and Mom but we ate them anyway to be polite as this meal was very expensive and we were having it for free, so manners were important.

The main courses were very good. DS was able to have the beef with potatoes, the asparagus, and the pizza.

Dessert was so great for DS. Usually he ends up with fruit if we eat out but the chef had some type of Italian ice-cream in which he put sprigs of mint and a cherry on top.

DS was in his glory- ice-cream is almost always a no-no for us as it contains eggs and nuts. The kid was in heaven and we heard over and over how good this was. Mom and Dad had "other" beautiful desserts but would have like to have the ice-cream for sure. Yummy!

So, all in all, as you have read, the trip overall was a good experience for our family.

We felt were able to find something for DS to eat in most places and if not, we just hopped back to a rest that we knew that he could eat the food from.

Last edited by Daydreamer64; 04-27-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Daydreamer64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

I'll definitely read through your TR. You're certainly re-enforcing my decision to book a hotel with a full kitchen. No allergy waffles or rice pasta? Each place ordering their own stuff? Seriously? UGH!!! I knew DL was different than WDW but that much different? I need to read your TR closely. Thanks for sharing!

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
Random Ninja
DIS Veteran

Yikes, this is a bit worrying for me too. All different vendors for each restaurant; how does that work? I would think there would be a lot of waste that way. All I have is a fridge and microwave, a hotel change may be necessary if there is poor allergy dining service in the parks.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #4
Daydreamer64
DIS Veteran

Sorry to worry you. We stopped at the Walmart just off of Euclid and it was only a few mins drive to DL to stock up. We had a mini fridge only in our room.

We bought a loaf of white bread, some individual packages of Budding meat, jelly, and individual bags of chips. We got raisen bread and cream cheese, cottage cheese and pineapple, small cups of fruit like manderian oranges and peaches, along with bananas. My spelling is bad lol, and the nook does not have a spell check but you can get the idea of our food choices without the correct spellings, sorry. Carrots and string cheese were also snacked on in the room late at night

Water, gatorade and juice were our drink choices. Breakfast also included kid's Gogurt and cinnamon toast crunch cereal and a half gallon of milk. Cheese filled crackers, rice crispie treats, and fritos went to the parks for snacks for us.

I can say that ds had dogs and burgers, and chicken/turkey, along with his pasta and pizzas. Do not forget plates, spoons, bowls, and baggies to store opened food items in if you buy food for the room. We did not miss the micro or stove and were happy with our supplies. I am not sure that I want to fully cook meals while on vacation and so was happy to fix quick and easy food choices.

We have visited WDW with a great deal of more variety available for food choices for ds then DL offered. I wondered why we were told that there was not similiar food offerings accross the parks. It just seems odd to us. We did ask at several different rests for the no egg pasta for example. The chefs were very helpful and cautios but it still came through that ds could not eat in many places unless he only had fruit for example.

Last edited by Daydreamer64; 05-01-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:24 AM   #5
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Many venues in DL are "sponsored" by different companies, so that can change what is offered.

Just so people know - there is a super Target within very short taxi distance, if you do not have a car but stay in the area. It is at the corner of Harbor and Chapman.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

You didn't worry me. I'm grateful for a realistic idea of what to expect. I desperately need that in order to be able to plan correctly. I already knew that DL is nowhere near WDW when it comes to food allergies but I was surprised to hear that there's even so much inconsistency and just how few options your DS seemed to have. I'll definitely need to spend more time researching dining options. I'm not quite at that point in my planning yet. I'm close though. I'd better hurry up; my trip's getting closer.

There's no way I'm going to DL without planning for cooking meals. I'm not going to subject my kids to bunless burgers (in restaurants) or sandwiches (in the hotel) the whole time we're near DL (we'll be in another part of LA the rest of the trip, also with a full kitchen). We've got laundry lists of allergies so I'm sure there must be more options for others but at this point I'm not expecting much.

My plan is to order groceries from Vons to be delivered to my resort rather that spend vacation time grocery shopping. I know there are meals that I can make with very little effort so I'll build my trip menu around those kinds of things (simple roasts, meat loaf, tacos, frozen french fries, frozen veggies, bagges salads, fresh fruit, frozen fish fillets, etc; foods I throw on with less than 5 minutes of prep at home). I will plan for some park dining but again I'll do research to be sure that there should be some kind of option that they'll like before including it in the plan. Hopefully I'll be able to find enough info about each location to have some idea ahead of time. Last time I tried planning a DL trip I ended up cancelling because of the anxiety that I got over Disney refusing to send out info. I've found more resources since then so hopefully I'll be able to find info for planning even without help from Disney. I'll still try contacting them but I'm not counting on much info from them.

Katy, do you by any chance know which venues are operated by Disney and which are "sponsored" by other companies? When you say sponsored by, is that different from how at WDW there are restaurants operated by other companies such as several of the WS restaurants and the Landrys restaurants?

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
Old 05-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

I know it's not relevant to anybody else around here but so I don't have to search for this again later, I'm linking it here. I found a superthread about gluten free at DL. I haven't read through it yet but I'm hoping it also addresses other food allergies and offers info about what's available where. When WDW wasn't sending out info I got a lot of great info about products and availability here so I'm hoping I'll be able to get the same kind of info from the DIS regarding DL as well.

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...ht=gluten+free

Old 05-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
Random Ninja
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
I know it's not relevant to anybody else around here but so I don't have to search for this again later, I'm linking it here. I found a superthread about gluten free at DL. I haven't read through it yet but I'm hoping it also addresses other food allergies and offers info about what's available where. When WDW wasn't sending out info I got a lot of great info about products and availability here so I'm hoping I'll be able to get the same kind of info from the DIS regarding DL as well.

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...ht=gluten+free
I started reading that thread when I first decided to go back to DL. I haven't looked at it in months because it only had GF reviews. Guess I'll have to check back and see if there's anything new. I do hope to see one your dining reviews when you get back. (My trip is after yours.)
Old 05-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #9
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

I just emailed DL Special Diets with a list of questions. Lets see what they say. I'll definitely do a dining review when I get back.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #10
Daydreamer64
DIS Veteran

OP here, just for the record, my son does not like bread and prefers his burgers without a bun. We were not privilaged to get a free room with a kitchen as DH had the room paid for through work, for a business conferrence that he attended. We were happy to have the fridge.

By all means, please cook to your hearts content when you are on vacation if that suits you, I cook enough at home, had no car after the first night, and just wanted to warn anyone who might have needed the heads up that DL is not, in our food allergy experience, as well prepared as WDW for alternative food choices.

Just for the record we enjoyed our sandwiches in the room, we were tired after opening and then closing the parks each day and so an easy meal like sandwiches and chips suited us just fine. The comment that you were not going to subject your child to bunless burgers and sandwiches in the room made it sound like we were bad parents for subjecting our child to cold foods, apparently food is not fit for consumtiion unless was slaved over all day and hot at each meal, please. I did plan, called, emailed the DLH and found out that they do not offer rooms with kitchens for conferrence attendes at the standard rate. Not everyone an afford to rent an apartment with a kitchen when on vacation.

Gosh, my post was not put out there so the food critics could pass judgement on what I fed my child but to inform those who needed the information to allow them to make their OWN choices.

By the way, just for the record, cooking in a room that is not set up for cooking will get you a hefty fine. The room was free and so we planned not to cook

Last edited by Daydreamer64; 05-04-2013 at 10:16 PM. Reason: le
Old 05-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #11
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

I am so sorry if I implied that you were doing something wrong with your food choices. I definitely did NOT mean that. It was my frustration with DL coming through, not with anything you said. You've obviously put a lot of time and effort and love into the care of your son and I'm sorry if I made it seem like I was criticizing you or your choices because that was not my intention in any way.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #12
Daydreamer64
DIS Veteran

Thank you or clarifying the comment.

The comment about subjecting and planning did strike me the wrong way. We worked hard planning and brainstorming.

I looked into rice cookers, renting a small microwave, and other assorted cooking devices.

I emailed DLH to request microwave access possibly in the conci area but was told none were available.

Just ask me how to cook a seven course meal with an iron and the coffee pot-lol!!!! I even brushed up on those options.

Sorry, but no matter how desperate we were, I was not going to go there!

After I found out that some room detectors can detect steam and temperature changes I decided that it was not in our best interest to cook in the room as it was not set up to do so. We did not need to pay an extra fee for cooking in a non-cooking room.

So, again, I am glad that you shared your frustrations about Dl and that it was not aimed at me.
We have three allergy kids and usually have emergency supplies in the van if we need to feed them on the run. In this case a trip to the local store fixed the issue and we had a variety of healthy, and some not so healthy but yummy, alternatives available as needed.

After your reply I can see how hard it is to get the meaning of some posts when you cannot hear the intonation meant by the comment posted.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: