Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #16
sweetdana
DIS Veteran

I would counter with 500$ more in concessions and no repairs. (except required).

500$ is nothing, but it will get them 500$ less at closing. ( as sellers concession bring down required cash to closing, where changing price will not.)

152K plus 4K in concessions. You will both win.

sweetdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #17
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

This is your only offer in 6 months, I would make some minor cosmetic repairs if it keeps the deal on the table.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #18
*JoGo*
DIS Veteran

I think it depends on what the cosmetic problems are. New carpet? Nope. Wall color? Nope. If something is not up to code, it should be fixed. But code issues are not the same as cosmetic issues, IMO.

We are buying a house. The inspector pointed out a few things we didn't notice- one being a couple holes in the siding, probably from rocks thrown by the mower, and there's a ripple where they put a grill too close to the house. Another was some side pieces (i dont know what its called) missing up by roof. Neither things will cause any damage structurally, but are things we did not notice.

To a PP that mentioned GFIs by sink- that's not up to code and should be fixed by seller.
*JoGo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:05 PM   #19
Mad4Mickey
All SINGLE Firemen have a MARRIED wife at home
Well loved by the Tagliarchy
It makes me wonder who is in charge of the yellow stickers

when we listed our other house we got some crazy offers but the one that I wouldnt even think about was the one that wanted to pick out new paint colors and have us hire someone to do it . The house was painted the week we moved out into our new house , so it didnt need it at all . They also asked for us to have the pool painted blue and for us to leave ALL the patio furniture and lighting including some torches I bought to match the furniture that I paid 100 bucks each for !By the time I got half way through the paper I called and told our agent to tell them we were not even going to look at the offer any further.

They wanted about 15 -20 things that were crazy . Leave our freezer in the garage ?? on top of that it was not even a full price offer .

They put in another offer and I never saw it because I told our agent I didnt care if they offered full price they were nuts . LOL They were first time home buyers and thought they could get everything
Mad4Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #20
Srbright
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki02

I find it odd and not very decent, that they didn't discuss the cosmetic in the offer. How appropriate is it to do it at inspection. ?
That is what the inspection is for .....
Feb 2008 - ASMo (3N/4D)
Srbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:07 PM   #21
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by *JoGo* View Post
I think it depends on what the cosmetic problems are. New carpet? Nope. Wall color? Nope. If something is not up to code, it should be fixed. But code issues are not the same as cosmetic issues, IMO.

We are buying a house. The inspector pointed out a few things we didn't notice- one being a couple holes in the siding, probably from rocks thrown by the mower, and there's a ripple where they put a grill too close to the house. Another was some side pieces (i dont know what its called) missing up by roof. Neither things will cause any damage structurally, but are things we did not notice.

To a PP that mentioned GFIs by sink- that's not up to code and should be fixed by seller.
Yes. Of course you are right. It's been a long time. I wanted specific GFI outlets and my brother is an electrician so I preferred that he put them in.
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
LuLuO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #22
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashoreCM View Post

You mean you did agree to pay for the last modifications to the garage that the buyer/contractor wanted?
No we did not. We did the legally required repairs to dry rot in one bathroom and told him no on the addition changes, because the code violations are not visible. Only someone who saw, or did the additional would know they were there, and HE was the one who built the addition. But it was a Probate sale, and Probate sale disclosure rules are different. DW hadn't lived in the house in close to 20 years, and never owned it prior to inheriting it. She had no idea what was done with the garage conversion, she was 14 when it was done.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #23
TheRustyScupper
Seeing isn't Believing. Believing is Seeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlzmom View Post
. . . Its tough to separate the emotion from the business of selling your home, but it is critical. You can not take it personally that someone is criticizing something you haven't noticed or didn't care to deal with while you lived there . . .

1) THE BEST ADVICE.
2) Wish I had remembered to say that!
3) Remember, this is business, not personal.
4) Plus, a house is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
5) Not what you, neighbors, realtors, or appraisers think it is worth. *

* We have sold houses for less than the appraised or comp value. But,
on the other hand, we have sold houses for far more than the appraisal.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #24
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #25
rbork
DIS Veteran

I thought inspection was for safety, malfunctions and building codes not cosmetic?

We always plan a couple grand for items on the inspection to allocate to repairs. We have even started to just offer the buyers a flat rate and they fix it themselves.

Do u walk away or not? Well, why did you go through he process to begin with? Once I list a house, I'm done and checked out. Just get me to the closing table.

Good Luck and do what's right for you.

WDW 1978, 1984, 1990,
Wilderness Lodge 1996
Fort Wilderness 2004
Disney Magic Cruise 2006
Wilderness Lodge 2009,
Fort Wilderness 2011
Fort Wilderness 2014

Great Memories
rbork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #26
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clh2 View Post
What does your realtor say about their counter offer? My first inclination would be to fix the radon - and the buyer can fix the rest at their expense.
I agree. Radon's a reasonable request. Cosmetics are in the eye of the beholder, and if they didn't see it as they toured the house earlier, it must not've been too important to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbork View Post
I thought inspection was for safety, malfunctions and building codes not cosmetic?
And you're right. The inspection is to check out things that the average person couldn't accurately inspect. If the buyer doesn't like the ceiling fan in the bedroom or the tile in the bathroom, that's cosmetic and he should note it himself as he tours the house. On the other hand, if the electrical wires are shoddy old aluminum and might catch fire or if the tiles look good but are hiding water damage, that's the kind of thing the inspector should disclose to the potential buyer.

One note of importance: IF the inspector finds something actually wrong (as in, your roof has a leak, not as in I don't like blue carpet), and the sale falls through, you -- the seller -- once informed of this actual problem -- are legally required to either fix it or make it known to the next buyer.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #27
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

I will add, some code violations are either not going to be visable to an inspector, or they miss them.

I've been in my house 30 years (next month), it seems everytime we undertake any project we uncover some other violation that should have been caught during construction, that weren't, and weren't by our inspector.
Things that only turn up when you tear something up.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #28
richmond282
Trumpet players don't have egos, we're just better than you...

I agree that it depends on what the "cosmetic" requests were as to how I would handle it. When we sold our last house, there were some things the buyers requested that we fixed (changing out some wiring, for example). There were some things we didn't fix (they wanted us the elevate the water heater 6 inches off the floor which would have required cutting the pipes etc. It was located in an unfinished portion of the house and we just flat out told them "no".) When we purchased our house, we made some requests too (GFI outlets in the kitchen, new bathroom fan) but nothing too outrageous.
richmond282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #29
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I'll first say that I'm not in the market for a house yet, I never have been. I feel that I've learned a lot from friends (and watching their struggles and bad decisions is what has helped keep us from jumping into home-mortgage-ship). I've been checking out redfin for our area for about a year, seeing how fast things go, etc.

From this total amateur point of view, if I see a house that's for sale for more than 3 months in my area, I'm seriously wondering what is wrong with it.

So I'm really wondering what these cosmetic issues are. If a house isn't attractive to buyers, it's not attractive to buyers. And you might end up lowering the cost even more, or making the decision to fix them, to make the house more attractive.

Quote:
This was our first ever offer, but there are no houses in the area we are interested in for sale. ... We aren't in a rush since there aren't any houses available that we are interested in
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSorority View Post
...and if they pull out of the deal, that's ok because there aren't any other houses that have our eye to move in to yet. I just don't want to lose them- what if no one else gives us an offer??

And those things make me wonder "why are YOU selling?" You are staying in the area, you don't have a house in mind to move to. What's the matter with the house that YOU want to leave? Is it the same set of issues that maybe others are seeing?

I'm probably totally and completely off (maybe it's just the wrong size for your family), but it's worth asking. "If I were wanting to move into this house, what do I see wrong with it?"
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:01 AM   #30
Jenny3
DIS Veteran

I also would like to know what cosmetics they are asking for. In my area, the home inspection is for structural, safety or defective items, nothing cosmetic, so that Reply to Inspections wouldn't fly around here.

I would definitely remediate the radon; any Buyer would ask you to do so. Other than that, I would offer a small credit in lieu of the repairs - less than half of the estimate cost - and this is just to keep the peace. If the Buyer is being this picky on small cosmetic items, I'm sure they will be particular on analyzing the work and reviewing the receipts. Best to just give them a credit at closing so they can hire their own contractor, choose their own fixtures, etc.

Nov 2012 - IA & US Orlando, SW, DC
Dec 2011 - WDW, Boardwalk Villas
Feb 2004 - WDW, IOA, Fort Wilderness Cabins
April 2000 - DL & US Hollywood
Jenny3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: