Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #16
medicjch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaRae87 View Post
Taking 60 is certainly the most DIRECT route and shortest mileage wise to get to Clearwater Beach.. But during peak season I prefer a less direct route which tends to have less traffic but is technically a further drive, it usually takes less time than sitting in stand still traffic over the bridge though.

Take SR 60 to US 19-turn left (south).. Take US19 to the East Bay exit-turn right (west) onto East Bay and follow that all the way, it takes you to a bridge (Belleair Beach Cswy) which will hit Gulf Blvd. Turning Right on Gulf Blvd will take you to Clearwater Beach, turning left will take you in the direction of St Pete Beach, it can be a nice drive to explore a little as well. Going this way also avoids the dreaded round-about that nobody seems to be able to drive.

I personally prefer Clearwater Beach over the other local beaches because of the amount of things to do, shops to visit and places to eat.
Thanks a TON! I will certainly give that route a try as I'd rather drive a little further if I can get there faster. I can't stand sitting in stop and go traffic! Also, you are certainly correct about roundabouts, we have a ton in my town and people still can't seem to figure them out!
medicjch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:30 PM   #17
ceecee
DIS Veteran

DH wants to stay in Tampa because we have to go to my BIL's at Palm Harbor Sat morning and he says it's closer. We can't check in at the Sea Captain until 3:00, so he thought we could visit Tarpon Spgs first, any idea about the miles from Tampa to Palm Harbor to Tarpon Spgs?
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2013, 05:27 PM   #18
LisaRae87
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
DH wants to stay in Tampa because we have to go to my BIL's at Palm Harbor Sat morning and he says it's closer. We can't check in at the Sea Captain until 3:00, so he thought we could visit Tarpon Spgs first, any idea about the miles from Tampa to Palm Harbor to Tarpon Spgs?
Tampa to Palm Harbor is about 30-45 mins unless traffic is terrible and and Palm Harbor to Tarpon is not much at all. The sponge docks are a great place to visit. Plenty of Greek food options and fun places to shop, I would plan a few hours to spend there.

LisaRae87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #19
ceecee
DIS Veteran

THANKS so much! Is it closer for us to stay in Tampa then go to Palm Harbor or just go to Clearwater? Is it backtracking?
Old 04-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #20
LisaRae87
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
THANKS so much! Is it closer for us to stay in Tampa then go to Palm Harbor or just go to Clearwater? Is it backtracking?

In this area most "cities" are fairly close and an easy commute.

Essentially - leaving Tampa you will have to drive through Clearwater (just not the beach) to get to Palm Harbor and Tarpon Springs..

Clearwater Beach is almost a direct shot from Tampa once you get onto 60 so TECHNICALLY going anywhere else would be "out of the way" but not terribly so.

LisaRae87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:02 AM   #21
disneyfan'ole
Hand over the chocolate and no one gets hurt!!

There is an easier way to get to palm harbor from Tampa than through clearwater and having to navigate us 19. I would just Google directions.

Also I see a lot of people use fox rentals for cars. I don't know how much they are but every time I pass it they are always packed. They are not inside of the airport and that may make them less expensive. I do know they have a shuttle that picks you up. Just an FYI.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: