Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
mlayton14
Mouseketeer

Ever do a DCL Sandwich?

Thinking about spending 3 days at wdw, then 4 on dcl, then back to wdw for 2 or 3 days. I know others must have done this before. Was it too much hassle packing and unpacking and with the bus transfers to and from port canaveral? We will have a 6 yo and 5 yo in tow.

Other option would 6 days at wdw then a 3 day cruise which many say is too short on ship
Would love to hear others opinions, either option would be on disney magic ship

Thanks
mlayton14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

To help lessen the packing/unpacking, i'd split my clothes into WDW clothes and DCL clothes and pack them in different bags. Then I wouldn't unpack any of the DCL clothes while at WDW and then i'd leave the WDW bag at bell services when I went on the cruise.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
mlayton14
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly
To help lessen the packing/unpacking, i'd split my clothes into WDW clothes and DCL clothes and pack them in different bags. Then I wouldn't unpack any of the DCL clothes while at WDW and then i'd leave the WDW bag at bell services when I went on the cruise.
Ooh this sounds like a good idea
Old 04-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
TiggerBouncy
Mouseketeer

Our table mates did this. 3 days on dream, 4 in park and 7 on fantasy.

They said they loved it!
TiggerBouncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
abdgeek
DIS Veteran

I always do a DCL sandwich whenever I do a DCL cruise. Most of the time I spend 3-7 days at WDW before the cruise, do the 7 day cruise, and then spend 2 days at WDW before going home. I always get the ME and DCL transfers so that my transportation is seamless.
abdgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #6
poohbear luvs grumpy
Mouseketeer

We did this. We loved it and plan on doing it again. Our five kids were with us, ages 2-11. We made sure they had clothes that would work for both. Fun skirts for cruise dinner and leggings to wear underneath for the park. The only problem we ran into was when we got back to disneyworld after the cruise we had to wait for our room to be open. But bell services held our luggage. We had one child get car sick on the way back and we were fortunate enough to have a change of clothes with us. We had all of the kids walk off the cruise in their pajamas planning on letting them change after the bus ride. Just be prepared to not have a room for several hours after the cruise. It's better than getting "dropped" off the cruise and waiting hours at the airport.
poohbear luvs grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #7
mlayton14
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdgeek View Post
I always do a DCL sandwich whenever I do a DCL cruise. Most of the time I spend 3-7 days at WDW before the cruise, do the 7 day cruise, and then spend 2 days at WDW before going home. I always get the ME and DCL transfers so that my transportation is seamless.
I was planning to use DCL and ME transfers as well to port, resorts, and airport as well, sounds good
Old 04-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #8
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayton14 View Post
Thinking about spending 3 days at wdw, then 4 on dcl, then back to wdw for 2 or 3 days. I know others must have done this before. Was it too much hassle packing and unpacking and with the bus transfers to and from port canaveral? We will have a 6 yo and 5 yo in tow.

Other option would 6 days at wdw then a 3 day cruise which many say is too short on ship
Would love to hear others opinions, either option would be on disney magic ship

Thanks
After our 1st cruise (2 days at WDW pre-cruise) when we drove straight home (11 hours) we were totally whipped. 9 cruises later we now do at least 2-3 days at the parks before the cruise & usually 3-4 days after to just kick back before our long drive home. If you can do this way, I'd say go for it.

We started doing this when our DDs were 8 & 10
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #9
I❤MICKEY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdgeek View Post
This is exactly what we are doing in October. So excited. I was surprised by how many coworkers think its crazy. I've been asked multiple times -- isn't the cruise enough? When your paying $2000 to fly 4 people to Orlando you make the most of it.
I❤MICKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #10
Stitch'sCousin
DIS Veteran

We are doing 2 nights in Cocoa Beach, 7 night Eastern DCL cruise, 3 nights at the Poly.
Stitch'sCousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #11
angela1044
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I❤MICKEY View Post

This is exactly what we are doing in October. So excited. I was surprised by how many coworkers think its crazy. I've been asked multiple times -- isn't the cruise enough? When your paying $2000 to fly 4 people to Orlando you make the most of it.
$2000 to fly to Orlando! Where r u coming from?
Old 04-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #12
I❤MICKEY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela1044 View Post

Salt Lake City, Utah

$466 per person on Southwest (2 free bags). The other airlines are more and you have to pay for bags.
I❤MICKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #13
ksloane
DIS Veteran

We did this on our first cruise. As a previous posted mentioned, I highly recommend packing for the cruise and wdw separately as much as possible and just leave your wdw bags with bell services. We even stayed at a separate resort before and after and WDW moved it to the new resort.

Also already mentioned, but weren't able to get into our rooms either upon checkin from the cruise so we left all of our bags and went to a park for the day. I've also read of others packing their swimsuits in the stuff they bring off the ship and spending the day at the resort in the pool.
WDW: July 2006 - POR; December 2007 - POP; August 2008 - POP; June 2010 - ASMovies & POP; November 2010 - Global Resort Home; June 2011 - POP; October 2012 - ASMusic; June 2013 - CBR & AoA; October 2014 - Pop
DCL: June 2010 - Wonder; June 2012 - B2B Magic; December 2013/January 2014 - B2B Wonder; March 2014 - Dream; August 2015 - Wonder
ksloane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #14
Weedy
DIS Veteran

If you need to do laundry I suggest doing it at the resort or do it the first day on the ship. The laundry facilities on the ships can get very crowded.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #15
alaskanabbott
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela1044 View Post
$5000 for us to fly down. And we are thinking about doing the "sandwhich" too. 5 days in the parks, cruise, then one more night @ the parks but probably not going TO them...just as a way to wind down before heading home
TR-THE WEEK OF YES!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2428215
GKTW-3/10 ASMO-2/11 Disney Wonder-2/12Disney Wonder-11/12Disney Magic-1/13
alaskanabbott is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: