Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #31
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzrich View Post
A friend of mine posted a pic on Facebook of the new vacuum her DH had bought her for Mother's Day. I was raised in a home, where if my Dad had given my Mom housewares he would have slept outside. Housewares were not a gift, they were a purchase that was made for the home. My DH would never by me a vacuum as a gift.

I must admit, that when I saw the pic of the vacuum, I thought to myself, "How awful" but I dare not post . My mother on the other hand is now 80 and has lost much of her filter. Apparently, she's FB friends with my friend. She posted exactly what she thought of that vacuum! While I agreed with my Mom's sentiment, I had to cringe when I saw her post.
How would I feel about it? I would be wondering why my husband is buying me a Mother's Day gift when I'm not his mother!

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #32
kirstenb1
DIS Veteran

I'd be cheesed off. Last year, dh bought me a lamp. It was a nice Mission-style lamp, but still.....really, a lamp? I'm practical all year long. This one day, I want something very impractical and indulgent.
kirstenb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #33
mrzrich
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom_Rides View Post
I'd be ecstatic! And DH would hate every minute of it with his whole being. I almost always ask for practical gifts. And most of the time DH obliges but he really wants to splurge and buy me some piece of impractical jewelry or fancy perfume or purse that I will never use. That's just not me. I wear the Pandora he bought me because it makes him happy and I smile and thank him when he buys me new beads for it because it makes him happy but I'm not overwhelmed with the thing. !

Thing is, jewelry and perfume aren't my thing either. It doesn't have to be either or. There are other gifts beside girly girl impracticalities and household necessities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
How would I feel about it? I would be wondering why my husband is buying me a Mother's Day gift when I'm not his mother!

In this particular case her child is under two yo, but I was using Mother's Day as a generality. I would hate a vacuum for Christmas or my birthday too.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #34
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

I'm really enjoying this post because in my life the shoe is on the other foot- a few birthday's ago I got DH a new vacuum. I have honestly never seen him so excited about a gift before or since. He ripped it right out of the packaging and began putting it to use immediately. He was positively giddy about how much better it cleaned than our last vacuum, and was so excited to show me how much it was picking up.

Yup, my husband is a clean freak and to him the vacuum was the best thing I possibly could have bought him. Maybe your friend is like my DH, personally I hate cleaning, but you never know what floats someone else's boat.
CandleontheWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #35
Maryr1
DIS Veteran

I received a Oreck vacuum from my brother and sister in law as a hostess gift last year. I honestly cried I was so happy! I had been asking for one for a few years and my husband just kept getting my old, totally beat up canister vacuum new parts..... I LOVE this vacuum. Love it. That being said, I would have been happy with it for mothers day too. I don't think I will be getting a "gift" this year, we made a Mothers Day donation to my daughters school instead.
Maryr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #36
DISNEYNV
Cats don't talk

I think if that is what she said she would like for Mother's Day then that is fine. Or if she is the practical type that likes that kind of gift too. I am one of those who also loves the occassional pots and pans, outdoor garden supplies, plants, or anything for the home as a birthday or special holiday, but then again my husband does not do flowers or expensive jewlery either! Its what you like and what you can afford I guess
Old 04-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #37
happygirl
DIS Veteran

I'd be on cloud nine, practical gifts are my favorite type of gifts
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #38
Totoro
Mouseketeer

I would be happy with a vacuum or anything. I like practical gifts. This year I am hoping that I get a hedge trimmer!
WDW 1997 Coronado Springs| 2001 Hampton Inn LBV | 2008 Sept: All-Star Sports · Nov: Pop Century | 2009 Sept: Pop Century | 2010 Sept: Pop Century | 2011 Aug: Pop Century| 2013 July: All-Star Movies | 2014 Feb: All-Star Sports
DLR 2007 Sheraton Anaheim | 2012 Best Western Park Place Inn
DCL 2011 Magic Eastern Caribbean | 2013 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #39
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

I appreciate practical gifts, however I do want them to be enjoyable as well. I'm not a jewelry-and-flowers kind of girl and I have a lot of household hobbies that I really enjoy. Cleaning isn't one of them, though. So a vacuum would land DH in the doghouse but a Kitchenaid mixer was one of the best birthday gifts he ever got me.

Around here Mother's Day isn't a gift-giving holiday, though. The kids make cards and usually a handprints stepping stone to add to my gardens, and DH either BBQs or takes us all out to dinner so I don't have to cook or clean up.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #40
3boymthr
DIS Veteran

I've gotten the expensive jewelry and I've gotten the vacuum cleaner and I'd be thrilled with either. Though most of the time I'm thrilled with cards from the kids. OTH - I'd HATE a GC for a day at the spa or a massage or a maniture as all would be a huge waste. It's all in what the person asks for or wants.

Of course, I'm very happy with just a "Happy Mother's Day" because really to me, like Valentine's Day, Mother's Day is just a made up holiday anyway promoted by the card and retail industry to make money.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #41
CF'er
Mine's so padded I'm afraid the heat would melt them

My best Valentine's Day gift was a garbage disposer. I loved it. To each his own. If it was the vacuum I wanted I would love it. Looking at a central vac system now and if I got that I would be thrilled.

CF'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #42
grafxgirl
DIS Veteran

I laughed when I saw this thread because my husband usually buys me Pandora beads, but I asked him to buy me a new vacuum for Mother's Day!!!

grafxgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #43
grafxgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofthehive View Post
Everyone and every couple is different. If she is happy and she obviously is, then that is all that matters. My husband and I tend to be "practical" gift type people. I have gotten pots and pans for Christmas and I love them!! I have also given my husband tools, work bench, chain saw etc.. as presents in the past. Personally, if I had a choice between expensive jewelry or something for the house, I would pick something for the house.... Everyone is different. Just be happy for her.
We're the same way here. I bought my husband a new leaf blower for his birthday back in the fall and he loves it. For Christmas we've bought microwaves, dishes, silverware, new items for the bathrooms, etc.

grafxgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #44
disykat
DIS Veteran

I also like practical gifts, so I'd probably be happy. The only reason I'd be unhappy about it is if my old vacuum was perfectly good or DH bought one that I thought cost too much money!

DH knows I really don't enjoy getting gifts so we usually go out to dinner or plan a family outing. My favorite gifts are usually experiences or practical things I specifically asked for. I'm not a big "thing" person, don't wear jewelry, allergic to flowers and perfume.

DH likes practical gifts too, so we're both on the same page. We're just as likely the get the vacuum for his birthday or Father's Day.

I have sons, so we've been very careful to make sure they know that I'm unusual in my gift aversion!

Last edited by disykat; 04-27-2013 at 11:09 PM.
disykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #45
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

Given that I loathe vacuuming, do not particularly consider vacuuming my responsibility any more than his, and he know that appliances of drudgery aren't gifts, he'd know better.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: