Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #16
akcire
Mouse expert, computer challenged
I am flushing myself to Disney

I'd love a vacuum from my husband. As long as he planned to be the primary operator. That would be like me buying him a lawn hose for Father's Day. Not going to happen.
akcire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #17
mrzrich
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizMe View Post

ETA: I don't really see why anyone would feel the need to post anything negative about a gift someone else got that they are happy with. What would be the point? Why try to make them unhappy with it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledisneyprncess View Post
I personally would be annoyed if I was sharing a nice picture and someone had to throw in their 2 cents in and be rude. That happens often on FB and that's why I deleted my FB... I am too sensitive of a person and little things that people say kind of bother me. lol

As I said before I cringed when I saw Mom's comment. She really has lost her filter.
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #18
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

I love practical gifts! I would be thrilled!
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #19
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

Most of the "gifts" I receive are practical items like this. Sure, I'd love a new wardrobe or something fancy, but if I get frivolous things then I can't have the items I might truly need, like a vacuum. I don't have kids so I don't celebrate Mother's Day for myself but I did get a vacuum for my birthday a few years ago. One year for Christmas I received a dremel tool to grind my dogs' nails. Exciting, I know...but I would rather have those items to make my life easier than have something fancy and still not have what I need.

Me-30: -&- DH-34:
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #20
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

If I "wanted" a nice vacuum for Mother's Day, b-day etc that would be fine. Better - if my DH was going to be the principal operator (not going to happen).

Throughout the years - I have specifically requested 2 gifts that DH was so reluctant to buy me - one was a power washer, the other a hedge trimmer. The original hedge trimmer recently bit the dust - and DH suggested getting a replacement hedge trimmer for a gift. NO - that wasn't going to work, not as a replacement. (The replacement needed to come out of general household funds - not as a gift.)

DH has a lot of leeway when it comes to gifts. He can only get me a corded appliance if I ask for it. And - in the rare instance where he forgets the rule - he needs to be gracious if I opt to return it. (After we were recently married - he got me some kind of electric razor that could be used in the shower...ICK.)

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #21
ceecee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by powellrj View Post
I would like it. I would much rather have something useful than some trinket. I never have much use for jewelry, flowers and such, but give me a kitchen gadget and I am a happy gal!
Well, maybe not a kitchen gadget as I hate to cook, a vacumn would be great. I got a steam mop for Christmas and a new set of cookware!
Old 04-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #22
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

I'm very practical, so I'm okay with DH giving me a vacuum or similar, as long as I had asked for it or said we needed it. If he just dropped a vacuum in my lap without me saying I'd like one, I might be a little iffy about it.

I ask for sides of beef or pork from my mom for Christmas though, so I may not be the best one to ask
Old 04-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #23
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzrich View Post
A friend of mine posted a pic on Facebook of the new vacuum her DH had bought her for Mother's Day. I was raised in a home, where if my Dad had given my Mom housewares he would have slept outside. Housewares were not a gift, they were a purchase that was made for the home. My DH would never by me a vacuum as a gift.

I must admit, that when I saw the pic of the vacuum, I thought to myself, "How awful" but I dare not post . My mother on the other hand is now 80 and has lost much of her filter. Apparently, she's FB friends with my friend. She posted exactly what she thought of that vacuum! While I agreed with my Mom's sentiment, I had to cringe when I saw her post.
I wish I could read what your mom posted! As far as I'm concerned, an 80 year old can say whatever they please.

I agree with this :

Quote:
Originally Posted by akcire View Post
I'd love a vacuum from my husband. As long as he planned to be the primary operator. That would be like me buying him a lawn hose for Father's Day. Not going to happen.
I do not consider an appliance or something I can use to clean the house a gift; I just buy these things when we need them.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #24
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by powellrj View Post
I would like it. I would much rather have something useful than some trinket. I never have much use for jewelry, flowers and such, but give me a kitchen gadget and I am a happy gal!
I'm the same way.

However, I might be upset if he didn't get the absolute best price. I'm the one who buys things like that because I will wait for a really good sale and use coupons and get free shipping. LOL After 22 years together he's finally learning that about me and would just tell me to get it for myself.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic 2004, 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014 DCL Fantasy 2015
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #25
mjantz
DIS Veteran

Not in this house. Things that are necessary for the successful running of the household are not appropriate gifts. My DH took a bit to get this but he totally knows now.
mjantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #26
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

I don't want any gift that entails me doing more work.

If my dh wanted to buy me a vacuum, it better have a maid attached to the end of it.
eliza61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #27
BlueStarryHat

Just picture everyone sitting at the computer in their underwear

I remember one Mother's Day when my Dad bought my Mom a handheld dustbuster. He was later able to use it to clean out the doghouse he was in.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #28
chobie
Fish are friends, not food
My beautiful, smart, awesome daughter changed my tags!
Would you please stop making my head hurt today?

Vacuums, mops, cleaning stuff? No way, I would rather get no gifts. Fancy kitchen gadgets, I always love. I was not happy the year he got me a salad spinner for my birthday, however any gadget for baking makes me happy. Last year I got a cupcake decorating kit with an thing to fill the cupcakes insides -- loved it.

We only buy each other small, token gifts. We usually do a weekend at WDW to celebrate our birthdays.
chobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #29
Mom_Rides
DIS Veteran

I'd be ecstatic! And DH would hate every minute of it with his whole being. I almost always ask for practical gifts. And most of the time DH obliges but he really wants to splurge and buy me some piece of impractical jewelry or fancy perfume or purse that I will never use. That's just not me. I wear the Pandora he bought me because it makes him happy and I smile and thank him when he buys me new beads for it because it makes him happy but I'm not overwhelmed with the thing. Now when he bought me my Kitchenaid stand mixer...oh buddy was I happy!

So yes, a Dyson would thrill me because to me that is a splurge that I could enjoy!

Our first trip! June 5-11, 2010 @ POR
A short trip just for our Princess! April 17-19, 2012 @ POP
Mom_Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #30
CTdiznymom
DIS Veteran

If it was a new Dyson (mines 8yrs. old) and he said HE couldn't wait to use I would be thrilled!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: