DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
Jonell
DIS Veteran

Less "Magic" at BWV

Sadly Brian Staron's contract has not been renewed at the Boardwalk. This was a decision made soley by Disney. Although his ratings are the highest of all the performers at the Boardwalk this was done to offer guests "a new entertainment experience" . His last show will be May 20th. Brian is the hilarious magician that rides the 3 wheeled bike and wears those colorful suits. He has been creating magic and laughter at the Boardwalk for the last 5years. We stay only at BWV because our DS doesn't want to miss a minute of Brian's shows. I guess we will now be able to stay other places but we are disappointed in Disney and heartbroken to see him go.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Disney changes live entertainment, shows, attractions and rides ever so often. Nothing is really permanent at WDW. While we may miss our favorites, Disney has to remain fresh and new, the competition isn't static. It is the nature of the tourism industry. If Disney didn't change, it would eventually go the way of the dinosaurs.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
Jonell
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
Disney changes live entertainment, shows, attractions and rides ever so often. Nothing is really permanent at WDW. While we may miss our favorites, Disney has to remain fresh and new, the competition isn't static. It is the nature of the tourism industry. If Disney didn't change, it would eventually go the way of the dinosaurs.
I agree there are many things at WDW that need changing especially attractions. Although, IMO seeing familiar faces during our trips is one of the nice things about WDW that truly makes it feel "like home". As long as the live entertainers keep coming up with new and fresh shows I see no reason to change them.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
bighoo93
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Yeah, this is really true, though we all have our favorites. Every time we went to Disney, I took a picture with my kids next to Mickey's mailbox outside Mickey's house, or whatever attraction that was. It was only a couple times, but still was fun to see us in the same place and how things had changed. So I was looking forward to taking a picture there with my youngest kids on our last visit, since it was their first trip to Disney. And of course, Mickey's house is no longer there. A minor bummer for us, but it isn't like it was a signature attraction that you go there for, just happened to be the photo spot we'd chosen. Probably should just have done Cindy's castle like everyone else. That isn't going anywhere...
bighoo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
crisi
DIS Veteran

I expect their are tax reasons - when you contract like that, if you've been showing up year after year, the IRS starts saying you aren't a contractor, you are an employee.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

I found Disney to take a long time instituting most any change! Of late, however change seems to be happening all over! We enjoy the Boardwalk for its livelyness and look forward to visiting the renevated bakery and to see what new entertainment they've lined up!

Who knows, maybe after a bit of a break, Disney may bring Brian back!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonell View Post
Sadly Brian Staron's contract has not been renewed at the Boardwalk. This was a decision made soley by Disney. Although his ratings are the highest of all the performers at the Boardwalk this was done to offer guests "a new entertainment experience" . His last show will be May 20th. Brian is the hilarious magician that rides the 3 wheeled bike and wears those colorful suits. He has been creating magic and laughter at the Boardwalk for the last 5years.
i've seen him several times and really enjoyed his shows. that's too bad...

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:49 AM   #8
marie1981
Mouseketeer

This is so sad... Brian is the best, I always look for him when I arrive at the BW... I am at the BW now, I guess I will say good bye next Time I see him... Very sad news....
marie1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:28 AM   #9
Sur
Love the Dis

Quote:
There's great value to going back to things that one remembers from their youth. Walt loved trains as a boy and that carried into his adult life, event making scaled down trains for DL. Without this mindset, I doubt there'd even be a Disney... as Walt wanted to create a place for kids to enjoy and adults to bring out their inner kid. The classic 1955 rides at DL show that people don't want everything to change.... though there's not room to keep it all (like removing "Little Einsteins" and replacing with "Sophia" at a character meal). Improvement is not getting rid of old.... it gave some major companies a real lesson when they thought it did (Coke anyone?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighoo93 View Post
Yeah, this is really true, though we all have our favorites. Every time we went to Disney, I took a picture with my kids next to Mickey's mailbox outside Mickey's house, or whatever attraction that was. It was only a couple times, but still was fun to see us in the same place and how things had changed. So I was looking forward to taking a picture there with my youngest kids on our last visit, since it was their first trip to Disney. And of course, Mickey's house is no longer there. A minor bummer for us, but it isn't like it was a signature attraction that you go there for, just happened to be the photo spot we'd chosen. Probably should just have done Cindy's castle like everyone else. That isn't going anywhere...
There's a thread that started here and moved to DL thread on this very thing. It's pictures (then and now) of various places around DL back in it's youth, then now (with the tiny trees grown, with Walt in them)... very cool!
Sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sur View Post
There's great value to going back to things that one remembers from their youth. Walt loved trains as a boy and that carried into his adult life, event making scaled down trains for DL. Without this mindset, I doubt there'd even be a Disney... as Walt wanted to create a place for kids to enjoy and adults to bring out their inner kid. The classic 1955 rides at DL show that people don't want everything to change.... though there's not room to keep it all (like removing "Little Einsteins" and replacing with "Sophia" at a character meal). Improvement is not getting rid of old.... it gave some major companies a real lesson when they thought it did (Coke anyone?).

This is getting off topic for the DVC Forums. Suffice it to say that many things will continue to change...there have certainly been changes to OKW since it opened, as well as many MORE things removed from 1955 at DL than what remain. I remember far more rides that are now gone than what remain.

The same will be true for all Disney parks and resorts as they mature and as the audience requires more and more sophistication to achieve the "WOW" factor with ever changing technology. Disney has, to some extent, been too lax in keeping up with the competition, even at the resorts. Magical Express and the DDP have helped Disney keep people on property. If people had to rent cars, you'd like see far more folks venturing off to non-Disney venues.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
Theaberdeenkid
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
I expect their are tax reasons - when you contract like that, if you've been showing up year after year, the IRS starts saying you aren't a contractor, you are an employee.
I don't think so, I work in IT and I have been a contractor working at the same place for years with no issues about the IRS categorizing as anything else.
Theaberdeenkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #12
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighoo93 View Post
We have a similar situation. We always took a picture on the A in front of California Adventures entrance. Never thought in a million years, Disney would take that away (they even decorated the letters during the holidays). But alas, with the re-imaging of California Adventures, the letters spelling out California are gone.
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #13
chepic
I tear up whenever I hear "Welcome Home." Some people say I have "issues."

We always looked forward to going over to the Boardwalk and have the kids chant.....Go Carlo, Go Carlo.....didn't see him this time around...

che
Old 05-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #14
granmanh603
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chepic View Post
We always looked forward to going over to the Boardwalk and have the kids chant.....Go Carlo, Go Carlo.....didn't see him this time around...

che
Carlo had been gone for awhile.... years ago his wife did a rope act but she has not been around in years now... Brian was my favorite. I would laugh at his same jokes every night...yes every night I would go down and watch him. he interacts so well with the people... Actually he is the only one I will always stop and watch The other acts are mostly boring and some magician is awful. There is a guy on a unicycle that is ok but lately the others are lame. Next they will be removing the guitarist over in DTD Marks can't think of his first name right now.

granmanh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #15
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theaberdeenkid View Post
I don't think so, I work in IT and I have been a contractor working at the same place for years with no issues about the IRS categorizing as anything else.
The company you work for is willing to take the risk. A lot of companies don't. Microsoft got nailed about twenty years back. The company I work for current does not take the risk, my husbands company did and had contractors for years. Disney may have decided not to take the risk of have the IRS back date contractors and employees.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: