Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #31
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I am going to Maui again next month, staying club level with ocean view room. I stayed club level BWI in December.

With all costs totaled, I estimate Hawaii will be about $2000 less than WDW.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #32
shells4
Mouseketeer

We rent a house, less than a block from the beach. We like the privacy, kitchen, washer and dryer. We can do 3 week long trips to the beach for less than 1 week to disney, staying on site, park hoppers, and dining.
shells4 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2013, 06:34 AM   #33
DawnM
Dawn

No, beach is cheaper. Mountains are cheaper.

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:11 AM   #34
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnM View Post
No, beach is cheaper. Mountains are cheaper.
We can rent a house at the beach or the mountains for less than the wdw tickets. And food is far cheaper
Old 04-28-2013, 07:24 AM   #35
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

The place that we rent for a week at the Jersey Shore costs almost as much as a week in a moderate resort at Christmas time. But, we don't do boardwalk games or rides, miniature golf or any of the other "tourist-y" things when we go to the shore. We sit on the beach during the day and play cards with friends at night. I cook most of our meals, which I would also do at home. We *might* go out to eat a couple of times during the week.

So, when you consider the total cost of the a Disney trip (eating out every day, tickets to the parks, airfare, rental car), the Disney trip comes out to be far more expensive than the trip to the shore.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #36
kellietony
WDW Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey View Post
I am going to Maui again next month, staying club level with ocean view room. I stayed club level BWI in December.

With all costs totaled, I estimate Hawaii will be about $2000 less than WDW.
Where do you stay and where do you rent through?
kellietony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #37
Dizisfun
Mouseketeer

We are in Maryland. When the kids were younger we would go to Ocean City. It def cost us more to go to the ocean than to do wdw. We have paid as much as $1600 a week for a nice place on the boardwalk. (I don't camp). Than you have to find "stuff" to do with them. Parasailing, jet skiing, even jolly Rogers can put a real dent in the budget.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #38
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizisfun View Post
We are in Maryland. When the kids were younger we would go to Ocean City. It def cost us more to go to the ocean than to do wdw. We have paid as much as $1600 a week for a nice place on the boardwalk. (I don't camp). Than you have to find "stuff" to do with them. Parasailing, jet skiing, even jolly Rogers can put a real dent in the budget.
Agree. Our Rehoboth long weekend a few years ago cost about the same as a short trip to Disney because I calculated it out after the fact.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #39
plutospalforever
Statler & Waldorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
Agree. Our Rehoboth long weekend a few years ago cost about the same as a short trip to Disney because I calculated it out after the fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizisfun View Post
I was just thinking along those same lines. We usually do WDW one year and Lido Key, Sarasoto the next; except for one year we went to Ocean City, Maryland and all I kept saying was Lido Key would have cost half as much and WDW 1/3 as much and we only stayed there 4 days compared to 7. We go to Lido Key during the summer and stay on the ocean for one full week and it costs significantly less than the World. Of course our children love the beach and we spend sun up to sun down on it. We go out for 2-3 meals, we have a kitchen and stock up on food when we get there and BBQ several meals or walk to a nearby beach front counter service eatery. We pay less than $900 for full week rental at Lido Key and
food is about $500 for a family of 6. There is no way we can do Disney for that cheap!

Last edited by plutospalforever; 04-28-2013 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Left out how many days
plutospalforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #40
likescarrots
Earning My Ears

We have found Disney to be much more expensive the past few years, and because of this, we have traveled elsewhere. Last year we traveled to hawaii for 2 weeks, and including airfare, car rental, and accommodations (studio apartment), it was much much cheaper than the same two weeks at disney (without car rental and in a smaller hotel room). We also had a kitchen so we were able to make breakfast and lunch in the room when we were around, which saved us more money.
likescarrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #41
plutospalforever
Statler & Waldorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by likescarrots View Post
We have found Disney to be much more expensive the past few years, and because of this, we have traveled elsewhere. Last year we traveled to hawaii for 2 weeks, and including airfare, car rental, and accommodations (studio apartment), it was much much cheaper than the same two weeks at disney (without car rental and in a smaller hotel room). We also had a kitchen so we were able to make breakfast and lunch in the room when we were around, which saved us more money.
Wow! I would have never guessed that. That's great! If you don't mind me asking how many people could you fit in a room? And how close to beach? That is my oldest DD's dream vacation. I just don't know if I can get over flying that far.

plutospalforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #42
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovedonald View Post
Did your beach vacation cost more than your Disney vacation?
Not until my son and his friend cracked up the rented wave-runners.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #43
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
Not until my son and his friend cracked up the rented wave-runners.
Bummer, did they actually crash into each other?
Old 04-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #44
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Many years ago, we rented condos in Ocean City, Maryland. Then I found we could go to Disney for less that OC, so we made the switch.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #45
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

A beach vacation is SO MUCH cheaper that I find this idea laughable. A beach (or mountain) vacation costs about 30-40% the cost of a Disney vacation.

At Disney you pay whatever Disney charges for the room, and even at the value hotels, that's pretty high. Tickets, restaurant meals, etc. If you do free dining, they make it up on the hotel cost. Disney is one of the most expensive vacations we ever take. Cruises are in the same ballpark, but everything else we do it cheaper.

In contrast, at the beach you can get a really nice condo or house from any number of sources, which'll include a money-saving kitchen and washer/dryer. Beach activities are largely free: Walking on the beach, lounging with a book at the pool, board games and movies in the condo/house in the evenings. In a one-week vacation, we'd go out to dinner a couple times, but mostly we'd enjoy cooking big meals together.

If you've paid more at Disney, something's unusual about your situation: Either you didn't have to buy tickets or something else . . . or you seriously over-paid at the beach.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: