Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #16
kevschickee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillenkl

We do the same thing! I'd like to know what beach campgrounds you like - we like trying new places!
We stay at a KOA I like how it's always clean, well taken care of, a bunch of kids activities, best pancakes ever and they have a trolly to the beach. We go to Old Orchard Beach in Maine.

Danica 5 DH 32

http://
kevschickee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #17
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

We pay more to stay on the beach than we do for offsite at Disney. But everything else is so much cheaper it winds up being cheaper overall. Of course part of that is also the fact that 4-5 nights at the beach is more than enough for us.
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #18
kevschickee
DIS Veteran

We actually booked our site a couple of weeks ago. We go every year the week after 4th of July. So we will be going July 8th and coming home the 13th. We like this week it isn't as busy and they still have fireworks at night on the beach.

Danica 5 DH 32

Old 04-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #19
emsstacey
Earning My Ears

We are much cheaper at the beach. We eat most breakfasts in the condo and eat out every other night. LEftovers for lunch a lot. Our condo is $950 for a week... much cheaper than we are paying for POR this fall. (Unless we get a promo code!)
emsstacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #20
mistysue
DIS Veteran

What I'm noticing everybody compare is the lodging cost. I think what you really need to look at is what your family wants to do. If I rented a campsite and tried to get my kids to hang out in the forest and on the beach for a week we would be miserable after the first hour.

Our disney vacations are significantly cheaper than our other trips because we have to keep finding things to do. My kids won't even go on a beach because the sand creeps them out. Then we end up going to putt putt golf, looking for entertainment places, going shopping, and doing tons of crap that adds up fast and doesn't last long. My family has a cottage on a beach and we spend more THERE staying for free than we do per day at Disney. The per day cost of entertainment at Disney saves us money because we like to go for long periods... Short trips just aren't worth the hassle for us.
Then my son has a bunch of allergies so we really have trouble even finding places to eat out if we aren't at Disney.

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #21
kevschickee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistysue
What I'm noticing everybody compare is the lodging cost. I think what you really need to look at is what your family wants to do. If I rented a campsite and tried to get my kids to hang out in the forest and on the beach for a week we would be miserable after the first hour.

Our disney vacations are significantly cheaper than our other trips because we have to keep finding things to do. My kids won't even go on a beach because the sand creeps them out. Then we end up going to putt putt golf, looking for entertainment places, going shopping, and doing tons of crap that adds up fast and doesn't last long. My family has a cottage on a beach and we spend more THERE staying for free than we do per day at Disney. The per day cost of entertainment at Disney saves us money because we like to go for long periods... Short trips just aren't worth the hassle for us.
Then my son has a bunch of allergies so we really have trouble even finding places to eat out if we aren't at Disney.
My kids love the beach. We go in the morning plop our stuff down and will get some thing there for lunch then have dinner at the camp site. We do dinner out once and it is always lobster and clams. It rained real bad one day so we did movies and bowling. I can see how some kids can get board with it. Maybe when my kids get older they will start to not like it. Right now they are 7&5.

Danica 5 DH 32

Old 04-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #22
crisi
DIS Veteran

For us, the beach can mean different things.

We are in Minnesota - our annual "beach" vacation is the North Shore of Lake Superior. Its a friends "cabin" We give them a little cash to help cover taxes and utilities, and bring groceries. That plus gas money is the total cost.

We've done Hawaii, that was much more expensive than Disney, but from Minnesota, airfare is really expensive.

We've done All Inclusive Mexico and a private Villa in Mexico, both were cheaper than a week in Disney.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #23
disykat
DIS Veteran

The beach is definitely cheaper for us. While we might do something that costs money occasionally, most of the stuff we enjoy at the beach is free. Beach-combing, hiking, biking, etc.

If we're just hanging out on a more secluded beach area we stay close to the beach, but if it's an area with lots of touristy activities we tend to stay a short walk inland to save money.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #24
DISNEYNV
Cats don't talk

We rent a house in OBX right near the beach and it is a little over $3000 for six of us. A bit more than Disney, but we drive to NC from PA, and make meals to take and also cook at the house. It is a full sized beach home with large bedrooms, pool, hot tub, full kitchen, decks, and short walks to the beach. It is very economical for a family that splits the bill, but as much as I love it I would rather spend the money at Disney. The kids love the beach though and the relaxed vacation so it is worth it to us.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #25
pigletto
DIS Veteran

We came back from our last Disney trip determined to go somewhere else this summer. I spent about a month putting trips together. We want to go to Europe.. way out of budget. Alaskan cruise? Way more. Royal Caribbean cruise.. a thousand more and that was going to islands I've been to already and didn't really want to see again. D.C. and Williamsburg? About the same as a Disney trip for us. Yellowstone.. way more (flights were a killer). Banff.. way more.. again, flights.
So I laid out all our options and was willing to spend more. I asked the family to help me choose. And they all picked... Disney

A few other things came into play like the fact that we really want to do the D.C. trip but not in the dead heat of August. And we still really want the Alaskan cruise but not when our budget means we'll have to scrimp on shore excursions.

So the end result was we went with the popular vote. It's hard to give up on somewhere that I know we'll have a good time. We really aren't beach people. We'd die of boredom and dd and I are so pale we're practically translucent
Disney *can* be as expensive as you want to it to be but for us, it always comes in under the magic number in the budget. This time we're trying offsite and more offsite activites so the budget is even lower. I do think it is one of the reasons it's so popular.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #26
Cobern
DIS Veteran

Ours was about the same but we took a beach vacation in high season (4th of July weekend). We only stayed 3 nights versus 4 nights at Disney. We also have another kid added to the mix now so I guess Disney is cheaper for us. We are FL residents though so they do make it a bit more affordable for us
May 2014 - Coronado Springs
May 2014 - Villas at Wilderness Lodge Studio
Cobern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #27
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovedonald View Post
It looks like we need to go camping or get a house at the beach. I think the hotel is making our cost go up. Sadly we can only travel in the summer. We are both in the education field. It is sad how much hotels cost! We will definitely look into a house next time. Thanks for the tips! I know we all still love disney!!
Spring break falls in off season at most beach rental agencies.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #28
3boymthr
DIS Veteran

The beach is definitely cheaper for us.

Our beach vacation is costing us less than $1,500 this year including house rental, gas to OBX from MA and tolls. We cook at the house so I don't count groceries because I'd buy those anyway - I'll spend MAYBE an extra $50 in grocery costs but that's a big maybe as I don't buy things like cleaning supplies and flour and sugar. The house/cottage we are renting is one house back from the water with direct beach access about 50 feet away. We spent about $1,700 for our Cape Cod vacation a couple of years ago. That house was right on the water with spectacular views but had no direct beach access. Of course, I think the biggest difference is when we go to the beach we don't do a ton of activities with cost besides the beach. One night of mini-golf (maybe), a bit of shopping. We also tend to stay in areas that have National Seashores so there are lots of free or almost free activities.

By comparison our trip to to WDW cost over $4,000.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #29
a1tinkfans
Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

Disney is never cheaper for us................just never is...

Our beach vacation weeks (and we have not done it the last three years) are always about 2500-2700 for the Monday arrival and Friday checkout...yeah four nights three houses from the beach....
tho none of us wanna go back....................
sadly there were several unsolved murders and bodies found in the general area and uh..................then the storm damage
so no one has even thought about returning...........very sad

And those beach days were Fun, tho expensive...but like everything else....it costs when you get the amenities that we/family required....
Disney regardless of when we go always seems to cost more overall, but IMHO its always worth it.....................its just the "feeling" I get when I go there, like Im at my second "home"
Old 04-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #30
bellebud
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1tinkfans View Post
Disney is never cheaper for us................just never is...

Our beach vacation weeks (and we have not done it the last three years) are always about 2500-2700 for the Monday arrival and Friday checkout...yeah four nights three houses from the beach....
tho none of us wanna go back....................
sadly there were several unsolved murders and bodies found in the general area and uh..................then the storm damage
so no one has even thought about returning...........very sad

And those beach days were Fun, tho expensive...but like everything else....it costs when you get the amenities that we/family required....
Disney regardless of when we go always seems to cost more overall, but IMHO its always worth it.....................its just the "feeling" I get when I go there, like Im at my second "home"
omg! where was that????
bellebud is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: