Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #16
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishicouldgomoreofte View Post
OP never mentioned water parks. Are you trying to confuse her?
I clearly shouldn't post before I've had my full cup of coffee.
Sorry OP, I honestly read "water parks" LOL. Even though it clearly says other parks.

Dec 2010 Pop Century
Feb 2013 POR Riverside
momof2gr8kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #17
paintedbison
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2gr8kids View Post
You mentioned basic tickets, but you will need to add the water park and more option to your tickets for the water parks.

For what you wrote here (2 days MK and 2 days in other parks with visits to the water parks) then you would need 4 day tickets with the water park and more option. You would get 4 days in a major park and 4 visits to the water parks/disney quest. You can go to a major park on the same day as a water park and/or disney quest without the hopper.

You can always add more days one you are there if you decide you want to go back to one of the major parks again.

I wasn't sure by the way you posted if you were clear on what kind of tickets you needed, so just thought I'd mention it, just in case.
We were not planning on going to any water parks. We have some really amazing water parks in much closer proximity to us. I also have two non-swimmers and one weak swimmer. I feel like water activities are very stressful.

We were planning the following:
Tues - Magic Kingdom
Wed - Epcot
Thur - Animal Kingdom
Fri - Hollywood Studios (it's Star Wars weekend, which will increase crowds... but 6 year old is big SW fan)
Sat - back to Magic Kingdom
Sun - open to return to whichever park we would like more time at
Mon - open to return to whichever park we would like more time at

Is this too many days at the parks? I don't really want to do water parks. I was under the impression that you could easily spend 3 days at MK.
paintedbison is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #18
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

Our first trip we didn't do water parks and were fine. Did ten days in the parks - some were half days. Some were early morning, some were later in the day. 3 days (not all full) were magic kingdom. I think you have a good plan to leave a couple of days open to go back to your faves.

Dec 2010 Pop Century
Feb 2013 POR Riverside
momof2gr8kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #19
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

I think you have a great plan. There is no way to know which parks will be your family's favorite, so I like the open agenda for days 6 & 7.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #20
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedbison View Post
We were not planning on going to any water parks. We have some really amazing water parks in much closer proximity to us. I also have two non-swimmers and one weak swimmer. I feel like water activities are very stressful.

We were planning the following:
Tues - Magic Kingdom
Wed - Epcot
Thur - Animal Kingdom
Fri - Hollywood Studios (it's Star Wars weekend, which will increase crowds... but 6 year old is big SW fan)
Sat - back to Magic Kingdom
Sun - open to return to whichever park we would like more time at
Mon - open to return to whichever park we would like more time at

Is this too many days at the parks? I don't really want to do water parks. I was under the impression that you could easily spend 3 days at MK.
That sounds perfect. There is no such thing as "too many days at the parks."
Take a look at the crowd calendars wbefor you decide which day in whick park, especially if you're not planning on parkhoppers. Weather can be a factor here, too. Animal Kingdom is miserable in the rain; Epcot is great.

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #21
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

We are rope drop people,we can get so much done but I think you will be ok.

We do like at least one TS meal a day. And the rest is CS. We like the character meals for getting pictures and autographs so we dont have to stand in line.

Your plan is fine, but I agree with others, you may have to switch gears if the weather is rainy for a long time and not just the once a day rain shower.

If you are not staying onsite, avoid the parks with EMH, We always go to the park that had EMHpm the night before.

Look at maps and menus, look at FP and how it works.

Lots of water.

Ice cream saved many a meltdowns and kept it possible for our family to keep going
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Aug 2014 DVC DCA
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #22
DznyPrnces
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMissy View Post
Sounds like you are doing great so far! We've gone 4 times now and for us until this point we've felt park hoppers are a waste. As a newbie you can easily spend a full day in each park (2 days in MK). So IMO park hopping isn't necessary. However for our next trip, we don't feel the need to spend a whole day at EP or HS, so maybe we'll park hop next time or skip these parks.

We're not into TS eating. We did breakfast at Ohana a couple years ago and it was nice. This year we did breakfast at Rainforest Cafe at AK (this will be a future must do every trip!) and Sci-Fi cafe at HS. TS is more expensive and can be extremely expensive depending on where/when you go. We don't mind QS....there's plenty of options and their portions are most of the time huge! I know a lot of people complain about QS but for us, we like it...guess it depends on what you order.

I'm an avid baby wearer and we went a few weeks ago and let me tell ya...it was way too hot to baby wear! I'm glad we rented a stroller as well! I wore him maybe 10 minutes our whole trip. So keep that in mind.

We also drove and it took us 20 hours in driving time. We stopped overnight there and back. Good luck!

Anyway...have fun and enjoy!
I second the part about baby wearing. I wore my DS at Disneyland in February and I was so hot. And that was CA in February. I do plan on wearing him in lines at WDW because he's heavy and my arms can't take holding him for all lines for 4 days of parks (the length of our trip).

My suggestion is to rent a double stroller if you don't have one. That's a lot of walking for those little legs and if you don't plan on leaving the parks for a mid-day break at least your 2 youngest can take stroller naps. I rented from baby wheels Orlando, but there are other companies that rent as well. I can't comment on the rental yet, since our trip is still 2 weeks out. But they get good reviews. I do know the the stroller they rent, the city mini (single or double) is a good one. I have the single and I love it.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #23
keri125
Mouseketeer

You are going to have so much fun!!! I went with my son for the first (and so far only ) time in 2010 when he was five. We had planned four days for the parks and one day for Universal. Wound up letting go the Universal day for a second MK day. We bought park hoppers and I don't think we used them ONCE! I did a ton of research, too, before we went, and the ONE piece of advice that actually meant the most to me was DON'T EXPECT TO DO IT ALL!! Such great advice! We went in October (and back then, October still meant all rides were basically walk-on) and STILL didn't do half of what we wanted to do. BUT it was because I took the advice of other DIS'rs and just let my son lead. We had the best vacation I have ever had. I want to go back so badly - hoping maybe for a second trip in 2015 but we'll see. Anyhow, all the advice you have received here is great, but I did just want to emphasize the "relax and remember there is no way to do it all, so just enjoy what you can do!" advice! Have fun!
Old 04-28-2013, 12:40 AM   #24
wishicouldgomoreofte
Mouseketeer

I typed a long post, apparently not fast enough, and it logged me out. So I will have to make this quick.
Pick up a birthday button for your son at guest relations first thing your Magic Kingdom day. Cast members and other guests will wish him happy birthday all day. It really does feel great.
Enjoy yourself, and don't worry about rope drop or other counter-intuitive stuff. You know what is right for you family.
Take some small baggies of snacks that don't melt & aren't messy each day in your park bag. Being hungry leads to meltdowns too. Expect meltdowns. Everyone has them, at least one every trip. It happens. You will walk so much more than you think you will. Take advantage of the child care center. Know it will rain--alot, maybe every day.
The MK opening ceremony is really wonderful, if you are able to make it one morning.
Your counter service & one Crystal Palace sounds great! Stick with that plan. You can great free ice water at any CS place, ask for a CUP of ice water. If you just ask for water, they will give you a bottle & charge $2.50. The ice cuts the Florida water taste. If you are coffee drinkers, bring some Via or Folgers or whatever packets with you in your park bag. You can ask for hot water and sip coffee or cocoa or tea while resting, watching parade, taking a break.
Do you know about Jedi training? I don't know if they do that on Star War weekends.
You will make wonderful memories. Have fun!
Stick with a point & shoot camera. You will have more than enough to keep track of, without your camera being one.
Read the map you pick up at entrance. It really is full of usefull info. Amazing how many people don't look at them, think they already know it all, and miss things because of that.
Everything is so beautiful---try to enjoy the details of the buildings, landscaping, set decorating, rides.

Last edited by wishicouldgomoreofte; 04-28-2013 at 01:10 AM.
wishicouldgomoreofte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #25
Jewel3k
Mouseketeer

I also suggest renting a double stroller from one of the offsite companies. With our three kids it felt that two seats wasn't enough. The heat in September exhausted them.
Jewel3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #26
Fiveisaparty
Mouseketeer

I think you have done a great job! I also echo the need for a double stroller the sling will be too hot after a while (I did use one with my 1 year old first trip, but also used a stroller and it was winter so the two of melting wasn't an issue ) Have a great time!

Fiveisaparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #27
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

It's fine eating just one TS for the week. Sit down meals take up a lot of time and it can be a pain to have a planned time for a meal that you can't change. We have had trips eating just a few TS and other ones with TS every night. Our last trip in June we ate all counter service. That's what my kids wanted. They would rather have more time on rides and they don't eat much for one meal. Some advise I would give you is to make sure you bring or buy snacks and drinks and have breaks throughout the day. I don't know the ages of your kids, but mine always eat small frequent meals through the day at the parks b/c they are walking so much and burning calories.
Christmas 2009-CBR and RI Seaworld,June 2012-POP
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA
ADisneyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #28
Coconuts
DIS Veteran

I think it sounds like you are doing great so far.

A few things:

Since you won't be on the dining plan, TS can be very expensive, especially with 4 kids. Keeping those meals down to a minimum is a good choice. Many CS are fairly big meals. You can certainly get more for your money outside the parks, which you can do since you have a car. I suggest if you leave the park for a break, eat dinner before you come back.

We never bring our heavy camera. It's much easier to put a small digital in a fanny pack. But know that picture quality isn't as good. You might want to conserve on what you bring to the parks with 4 kids.

We always get park hoppers but have done our first trip without. I like having the flexiblity to not be strapped down to one park for the day. But it is doable without them.

We never really plan out touring the parks, except to try and hit a fastpass as soon as we get in for the most popular attractions, i.e. Soarin, Space Mountain, etc. That just takes too much effort and away from my fun to plan my day that much.

Since you aren't staying onsite and can't do EMH, just make sure that the parks you visit don't have EMH that day. The crowds won't be as bad. We always do this even though we always stay onsite, since we are not EMH people. We never get up early for rope drops.

We brought Keens on our last trip but I felt that they rubbed my feet a little. Sneakers with socks have always been best for us.

Walking at WDW is a lot more than at home so your 4yo might need a stroller more than you think. I would either bring a double, two singles, or rent from Orlando Stroller.

Hope this helps and enjoy your trip!

Last edited by Coconuts; 04-28-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #29
Queen2PrincessG
DIS Veteran

Relax! You will be fine!

Don't let the obsessiveness of some scare you!@

You are fine! You will be fine. Just know going in you will not do or see everything AND THAT IS OK!!

NO one suggestion I have is that while keens are comfortable you should bring a pair of sneakers too. If the keens get wet or don't dry in time you will want a back up of shoes!

Your dining choice is fine and you will have a blast! Its DISNEY!!

Queen2PrincessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #30
garjanjones
Mouseketeer

Relax. Have a blast! Everything will be fine. There is no "right" way to do Disney. Make it your way.
garjanjones is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: