Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
paintedbison
Earning My Ears

Freaking out! Trip in 3 weeks and I just realized I'm supposed to plan for a year!

Please, please, please take mercy on me. I have stayed up until 2 am every night for the last week reading old threads. I'm getting lost in details. I think I've read 2000 responses on the best bag to carry...

We are taking our first ever, real family vacation. And, we chose Disney! We have an 8 year old, turning 6 during the trip year old, 4 year old, and 1 year old. Our travel dates are May 20-27. I hate that it is falling on memorial day weekend. But, there doesn't seem a way around it without delaying the trip for at least 18 months... and I don't really want to do that!

Can you please help me with what to plan next? I'm very confused and I feel like I don't have time to make this trip a success... but we don't want to delay either!

We are driving 22 hours to get there, so we will have a car. We are staying offsite in a hotel that was highly recommended on a hotels website. It has a full kitchen and living area and a separate bedroom. We did not want to be in one big room with all four kids for an entire week! The hotel includes a hot breakfast.

We are planning 7 days in the park. I am planning on basic tickets... not planning on park hopping. Is that okay? I thought we would do magic kingdom, one day in each of the other parks, back to magic kingdom for DS's birthday, and then 2 free days to go back to whatever park we wanted.

I have made one breakfast reservation for Crystal Palace for DS's birthday. Other than that, we are planning on counter service. However, it seems like dining is a big thing? Are we missing out doing almost 100% counter service? I thought my kids would rather be out riding rides instead of eating!

We have a McClaren stroller. I was tentatively planning on bringing an Ergo sling in too. Then, we could sling the 1 year old to let the 3 year old take some breaks.

We've bought Keen sandals for everyone. We have some cheap rain ponchos. I have a rain cover for the stroller.

I have the Unofficial Guide and was planning on seeing what rides they recommend hitting first and getting fast passes for. Overall, our family is more on the laid back side. If we have too strict of a schedule, it could kill all six of us! I'm willing to sacrifice some short wait times to be able to stop and smell the roses a bit. Is this dynamic overall a bad thing for planning Disney? I'm wondering after reading all the planning threads if we aren't cut out for this!

Is it better to arrive early or stay till closing? I'm not sure that my kids will be able to get there early and leave for an afternoon nap. My older three think daylight sleeping is cruel and unusual torture. I realize Disney might make them tired enough that it works... but I was thinking we might just plan on arriving early and stay till everyone melts. Or, sleeping in and staying to close the place down.

I have an SLR camera. Should I definitely plan on bringing it? Could I get by with photopass and a cheap digital? I don't want to add to much to our load since we are already going to be carting the baby and his stuff around.

Please help me. I want our first family vacation to be awesome!
paintedbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
DznyPrnces
Mouseketeer

Relax. It's a vacation, it's supposed to be fun!

I think you will be fine. We are not a rope drop family. I have young kids (4 and 8 months) and my kids do not do well being woken up. So we will head to the parks once everyone is awake. Then we stay until the kids are done, and we head back to our room for the night. We don't leave for mid-day breaks. My kids would fall asleep on the way back and then be wide awake by the time we got to our room, so it's a waste of time for us. They take stroller naps instead. Also no park hoping for us. Since we get there late (to Dis standards) and leave before park closing, the time spent hopping is not worth it to us.

As for ADRs, this is the first time I have made any. I made 1 for lunch and 1 for dinner, with the thought that if we don't make it, it's ok. It's really just to see if making ADRs even works for us.

One thing I do recommend is checking out a crowd prediction site like easywdw.com. Planning which park on which day and picking 2 or 3 must dos for each park is about the extent of my planning. We always have a great time.

Have fun, take advantage of fast pass whenever possible and go with the expectation that you won't see it all. There is just too much to see and do.

Of course, it's all personal preference and many will tell you you have to make rope drop, etc. Just know there is not a one size fits all solution. We have never once made rope drop and I've never gone home upset that there was something I missed.

ETA: About the camera. I personally don't like to bring my DSLR. I took it to Disneyland once and it got banged around a lot, I almost broke it once, and I lost the lens cover. It could just be that I needed a better way to carry it. I spent more time worrying about my camera and I decided it just wasn't worth it. I just bring a point and shoot now, much better and the pictures are good.

Also, take advantage of child swap. The whole party has to go to the cast member at the entrance so they can see the kids that are too short to ride. They give you the pass. One parent and the older kids ride (stand by line unless you have a fast pass) while the other parent waits off with the younger kids. Then you switch, and the non riding parent +2 can ride, bypassing stand by line.

Last edited by DznyPrnces; 04-26-2013 at 11:50 PM.
DznyPrnces is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2013, 05:49 AM   #3
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Deep breaths. You're doing great!!! For some of us (Like me ) obsessive planning is a hobby; it adds to the trip. It's most certainly NOT mandatory!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedbison View Post
Can you please help me with what to plan next? I'm very confused and I feel like I don't have time to make this trip a success... but we don't want to delay either!

We are driving 22 hours to get there, so we will have a car. We are staying offsite in a hotel that was highly recommended on a hotels website. It has a full kitchen and living area and a separate bedroom. We did not want to be in one big room with all four kids for an entire week! The hotel includes a hot breakfast.

We are planning 7 days in the park. I am planning on basic tickets... not planning on park hopping. If you hit, say, a monsoon one day at Animal Kindgom, you can always add parkhoppers, and hop to an easier park like Epcot. So try to leave money in the budget, just in case. Is that okay? I thought we would do magic kingdom, one day in each of the other parks, back to magic kingdom for DS's birthday, and then 2 free days to go back to whatever park we wanted.
That sounds great. Take a look at either EasyWDW or touringplans.com for their recommendations on which parks to see which day. (They may offer conflicting advice, but for the most part you'll be OK with either.) They'll have you hitting the parks least likely to be crowded.

I have made one breakfast reservation for Crystal Palace for DS's birthday. Other than that, we are planning on counter service. However, it seems like dining is a big thing? Are we missing out doing almost 100% counter service? I thought my kids would rather be out riding rides instead of eating!One big perk to the table service dining is the opportunity to get pictures and autographs with the characters without waiting on line. Take a look at the character meals, and see whether you want to add Chef Mickey's, and perhaps a princess meal at Aukerhaus or 1900 Park Fare.

We have a McClaren stroller. I was tentatively planning on bringing an Ergo sling in too. Then, we could sling the 1 year old to let the 3 year old take some breaks. That makes total sense!!!

We've bought Keen sandals for everyone. We have some cheap rain ponchos. I have a rain cover for the stroller. Perfect!

I have the Unofficial Guide and was planning on seeing what rides they recommend hitting first and getting fast passes for. Overall, our family is more on the laid back side. If we have too strict of a schedule, it could kill all six of us! I'm willing to sacrifice some short wait times to be able to stop and smell the roses a bit. Is this dynamic overall a bad thing for planning Disney? I'm wondering after reading all the planning threads if we aren't cut out for this!We don't follow a strict plan (though, as the aforementioned obsessive planner, I print up zillions of them ahead of time.) But what's key for us is a plan of attack when we enter each park. We split up-- my husband hangs back with the kids as I go closer to the front-- as a single that's easier. I have everyone's park tickets. Once the park opens, I go ahead and get our first set of fastpasses, then meet them all at an agreed upon location. So, for example, I'll get us FPs for Peter Pan, then meet them at Big Thunder Mountain. We'll do Big Thunder and Splash Mountains, then use those Peter Pan FP's. That's 3 big rides done within the first hour. (I haven't considered the new Fanstasyland yet-- for kids as young as yours, that will be a priority) I'm our FP runner all day-- I get a kick out of it, and it really does make things easier than shlepping all 5 of us to get a set of FP's.

Is it better to arrive early or stay till closing? I'm not sure that my kids will be able to get there early and leave for an afternoon nap. My older three think daylight sleeping is cruel and unusual torture. I realize Disney might make them tired enough that it works... but I was thinking we might just plan on arriving early and stay till everyone melts. Or, sleeping in and staying to close the place down. We stay on site, so that will color my answer. But we're at rope drop-- park opening-- every single day. We stay until lunch, then go back to the resort for an afternoon in the pool. (We're teachers, so we go in August.) We don't nap, we swim!! And it makes a world of difference!!! Then we return to the parks, happy and rested, at dinnertime.

I have an SLR camera. Should I definitely plan on bringing it? Could I get by with photopass and a cheap digital? I don't want to add to much to our load since we are already going to be carting the baby and his stuff around.My husband works part time in a photographer's studio-- he has some amazing equipment!!! So there's no chance we would leave for Disney without a pretty decent assortment. But we get Photopass, and it really takes the pressure off. He's actually IN the pictures, and can relax about getting every shot. If you are considering Photopass, make sure you pre-order the CD. It will save you some money.

Please help me. I want our first family vacation to be awesome!Two things: it WILL be awesome!!!! You're in Disney World, after all!! And you've actually done quite a bit of planning-- far more than the average first timer who thinks it's all one big park and has never heard of a Fastpass And know that, no matter how much you plan or how long you stay, you simply won't be able to see it all. So, at some point, get some input from everyone as to what they most want to see, and make those things a priority. Anything else is extra.

Way up on my list of the best advice ever is this: No one show, no one ride, no one anything should have the power to make or break your vacation. If any member of your family is near the meltdown stage... and it WILL happen, even in Disney... then it's time for a break. If that means you miss something else, then so be it.

Oh, a few more things: If your little ones are likely to be able to stay awake for Fireworks, see if you can get tickets to the Tomorrowland Terrace Dessert Party-- it's lots of fun!!! (ANd if not, then oh, well, something to save for next time.)

Since you're driving, make sure you leave room in the car for a case or two of water. Trust me, you'll need them!

Get the kids autograph books before you go. And include the click Sharpies; much easier for the characters who wear big gloves.

The Previous Poster is right...read up on the baby swap. If one of your kids balks at a particular ride, you can tag-team it. It's in the Unofficial Guide.
Have a fabulous time!!!

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)

Last edited by Aliceacc; 04-27-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:02 AM   #4
bear_mom
DIS Veteran

Take a deep breath, repeat. Relax!

Dining - if you want to stick to all counter service meals, then stick with all counter service meals. I would look at the different menus online and find the ones that have different foods you want. There are lots of different options. Personally, we like a sit down meal every night. Not for everyone though.

Rope drop - we are a rope drop family. I have an early riser dd and once she is up, we are all up so this helps. We have found that we get more done in the first few hours vs. later when it is more crowded. To counter the early mornings though, we don't stay at the parks late at night. I still try and get dds to bed around normal bedtime - 9, which means we leave the parks around 7. Works for us. Lots of other families sleep in and stay late and have a great time.

Crowds - take a peek at easywdw.com and take a look at the crowd calendar and plan your park days that way. Know you won't see everything in 7 days.

Touring plans - I cringe when I read how some people plan their park days. We know our must dos and make sure we fit those in by being at the parks early and using fast passes accordingly (learn how to use fast passes!). There have been times that we have done a ride multiple times in a row because dds have wanted to. We have skipped the next planned ride because someone wanted to do something else instead. Other people hate to tour the way we do.

Camera - I bring my DSLR and our point and shoot. There are days I bring the bigger camera and there are days I don't. If we are staying for a night time show, I bring my DSLR. If I know I want to take pictures on a dark ride, I bring my DSLR. Some days I want to be free of my camera bag (speaking of bags, I have this http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Passpo...ywords=lowepro and it is perfect for me. I have taken it on every ride with no issues and there is room for a few snacks and holds my water bottle also.

With the ages of your kids, can you bring 2 strollers? I only say this because there is A LOT of walking, way more than you think. With two strollers you have more options of letting the younger ones rest.

Make sure you all wear your Keens lots before your trip. Shoes should be broken in to make sure they are comfortable and hot spots recognized.

Keep in mind that there are many different types of people on the boards and just because you read in one place that X is the best and only way to do things, you will find someone else that says Y is the best and only way to do things. The best way to tour is what is best for your family.

My best advice for travelling with kids - snacks, lots and lots of snacks!!!!! I am surprised at how many snacks my dds eat. Hungry kids = unhappy kids.

Emily
bear_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:14 AM   #5
trewin
Mouseketeer

We went in 11' for a few days and again last week. My kids are 2/5. In 11' we didn't plan anything or get to parks till noon. That's part of the reason we went back- we were clueless!
Last week we made ADRs daily and didn't make it to one because we were so hungry before! It was better for us to go day by day. Anyways, I didn't think the food was *that great*.
We didn't park hop- I also planned out the first few attractions, the things we had to do before lines got long (like splash mtn/expedition Everest/ toy story mania/soarin'/test track). We got to the parks by 9:20 everyday- but never before they opened. In my opinion getting there early made a huge difference! We also didn't stay all day! The longest line we waited in was 40 minutes- Soarin'. We only used fast pass 3x.
I only took a cheap digital and got a photo pass. It was fine for us.
I don't think excessive planning is good for anybody! Lol, sounds like you got everything under control- relax and enjoy your trip!
trewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:15 AM   #6
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

it sounds like you have done a great job planning your first trip!
Don't stress! The fact that you have found these boards before your first trip is awesome!

My one piece of advice for you is rope drop. Do as much as you can in the morning. Hit the most popular rides first and use fastpass as much as possible.

Then tour at a relaxed pace in the afternoon. Eat where you want, browse through shops, etc... go back to your hotel if you want and come back later in the day, or stay until 5 or 6 if your family feels up to it and then call it a day.

Good luck and have fun!
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:27 AM   #7
jlsmith376
Mouseketeer

You will be fine! We vacationed the week you are going the last two years and we loved it. The weather is great and the crowds are lower until Memorial weekend. You'll hit the tail-end of flower and garden at Epcot. Also recognize that it is Star Wars weekend at HS and it is very crowded. It is worth going if you are a Star Wars fan but if not then plan to go there during the week.

Since you have a one year old I recommend the baby care centers. Each park has one or two. They have nursing rooms, full changing tables,feeding tables and high chairs, baby supplies, and are air conditioned.

I totally agree with you about counter service for meals with kids. Our last trip was the first time we did a lot of adr's and it was really too much. The counter service meals were much easier. Some of our favorites were Cosmic Rays at MK, Flame Tree BBQ at AK, Pizza Planet at HS, and there are so many choices at EP. You can eat counter service lunch at Be Our Guest in MK but it is very popular right now. Plan to wait in line for about 30 minutes.

We are rope drop people but we have done a few days where we arrived at 11ish. That works fine just recognize there are some rides that you won't be able to get a fastpass for until evening. Soaring at Epcot and Toy Story Mania at HS in particular. Try touring plans.com. You can put in your date, arrival time, desired rides and attractions, and it will optimize the best plan of attack. It was really helpful on our last trip.

jlsmith376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:03 AM   #8
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

It looks like you have done very well!

A couple thoughts:
A designated stroller for both of the youngest two. A wrap is a GREAT idea but you will need somewhere for them both to sit. If one of them is out, the young 6 year old will want a quick ride. It's going to be hot.

Staying off site and eating few TS, I think you are ok with out hoppers. Avoid the park with the EMH , always.

Rope Drop is your friend. You will get so much more done in the first two hours than the rest of the day.

Play with taking breaks. If the kids are wiping out by noon, go back and chill (don't have to nap) and return later in the day. This could save on food with a late lunch at the resort.

IF money is not a huge issue, I would add a few more TS meals but I know it's expensive with a large family.

Read and understand FP and use it to the max. Don't be afraid to spit up for rides too if older kids want to ride things little ones can't.

I would plan to bring my SLR for one day ( the second time) to the MK at least. Plan that day with the best outfits and get your really special picture that day!

RELAX you are going to be fine!
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #9
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedbison View Post
We are planning 7 days in the park. I am planning on basic tickets... not planning on park hopping. Is that okay? I thought we would do magic kingdom, one day in each of the other parks, back to magic kingdom for DS's birthday, and then 2 free days to go back to whatever park we wanted.
You mentioned basic tickets, but you will need to add the water park and more option to your tickets for the water parks.

For what you wrote here (2 days MK and 2 days in other parks with visits to the water parks) then you would need 4 day tickets with the water park and more option. You would get 4 days in a major park and 4 visits to the water parks/disney quest. You can go to a major park on the same day as a water park and/or disney quest without the hopper.

You can always add more days one you are there if you decide you want to go back to one of the major parks again.

I wasn't sure by the way you posted if you were clear on what kind of tickets you needed, so just thought I'd mention it, just in case.

Dec 2010 Pop Century
Feb 2013 POR Riverside
momof2gr8kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #10
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

May have missed it, but I didn't see OP mention the water parks. So, I assume they are skipping them.

We did a total of one Dinner reservation for our first trip and it was a giant pain as far as I was concerned. Yes; it was fun and the food not bad (nowhere near worth the price). But it chewed up 2 hours of our day by the time we dropped everything to get there on time, and actually had the meal.

So, I wouldn't swear it.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #11
plutolovr
DIS Veteran

No one mentioned that Disney announced that Magic Kingdom will be open for 24 hours beginning May 24 at 6a.m. to May 25 at 6a.m. If you were planning a MK visit on this day it will be CROWDED!!!
Old 04-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #12
lukikam
Mouseketeer

Just remember, this trip will be tailored to you!! If you don't have early risers, and you try to make them get up early, then everyone will be cranky!!

Stroller swap and fast passes will be your best friends, use them as often as you can!!

Bring souvenirs from home (glow sticks, autograph books, etc.).

Don't forget about the dole whip, ice cream sandwiches - fun, cooling treats.

Most importantly - Relax! I know you want to try to do it all (everyone does) but in my opinion it's better to stop at a playground for 15 minutes and let the kids enjoy themselves than have a schedule that no one likes. It's the un-planned stuff that my kids always remember. (It's very hard, though, when you're thinking to yourself - I spent this much money to _____?!? You can fill in the blank!)
Old 04-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #13
wishicouldgomoreofte
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2gr8kids View Post
You mentioned basic tickets, but you will need to add the water park and more option to your tickets for the water parks.

For what you wrote here (2 days MK and 2 days in other parks with visits to the water parks) then you would need 4 day tickets with the water park and more option. You would get 4 days in a major park and 4 visits to the water parks/disney quest. You can go to a major park on the same day as a water park and/or disney quest without the hopper.

You can always add more days one you are there if you decide you want to go back to one of the major parks again.

I wasn't sure by the way you posted if you were clear on what kind of tickets you needed, so just thought I'd mention it, just in case.
OP never mentioned water parks. Are you trying to confuse her?
Old 04-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #14
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishicouldgomoreofte View Post
OP never mentioned water parks. Are you trying to confuse her?
I think it was probably an error-- the person who posted it thought that "the other parks" included water parks.

OP, just to clarify: Disney also has 2 water parks in addition to the 4 amusement parks (Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios.) I can't tell you anything about them, since in the past 3 trips we've never found the time or the inclination to go to either of them (Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach.) The Seniors at my schoolw were at one of them-- I forget which-- on Thursday night, and I'm sure they had a blast. But if it's not already on your radar, no big need to include it. If it IS something you're considering, know that the water park tickets are extra, above and beyond the tickets to the basic 4 parks. And, again, we've never felt the need to go.

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #15
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

Sounds like you are doing great so far! We've gone 4 times now and for us until this point we've felt park hoppers are a waste. As a newbie you can easily spend a full day in each park (2 days in MK). So IMO park hopping isn't necessary. However for our next trip, we don't feel the need to spend a whole day at EP or HS, so maybe we'll park hop next time or skip these parks.

We're not into TS eating. We did breakfast at Ohana a couple years ago and it was nice. This year we did breakfast at Rainforest Cafe at AK (this will be a future must do every trip!) and Sci-Fi cafe at HS. TS is more expensive and can be extremely expensive depending on where/when you go. We don't mind QS....there's plenty of options and their portions are most of the time huge! I know a lot of people complain about QS but for us, we like it...guess it depends on what you order.

I'm an avid baby wearer and we went a few weeks ago and let me tell ya...it was way too hot to baby wear! I'm glad we rented a stroller as well! I wore him maybe 10 minutes our whole trip. So keep that in mind.

We also drove and it took us 20 hours in driving time. We stopped overnight there and back. Good luck!

Anyway...have fun and enjoy!
DS~2
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: