Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
disney is my life
DIS Veteran

Hello, i am looking for ideas on ways to bring back the magic for dd7. She's so logical about everything that she doesn't believe in anything at disney world. I love reading those posts about little girls who meet cinderella for the first and are totally starstruck and believe that that really is cinderella 100%. I've always wanted my dd to have an experience like that. The closest I've gotten to convincing her of anything was this trip on the first night i put out a display of new things on the table for her to use on the trip and told her they must have been from mickey. One of them was a disposable camera and she LOVED it and talked a lot about how mickey brought it to her. So I'm open to any ideas you may have of how to convince her all the characters are real and that magic kingdom really is magical. Thanks

My Photobucket (Disigns, Autograph Book pages & Covers) : http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/di...?sort=9&page=1
Personalized Autograph Book Cover Request Thread: http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/di...?sort=9&page=1

November 2011-All Star Movies
March 2013-POP Century
November 2013-Caribbean Beach Resort
March 2015-All Star Music
disney is my life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
Hayliesmom
Mouseketeer

I'm not sure if this helps but my daughter is 7 and she knows that people go to work at Disney but she believes that once you go and work there that you BECOME that princess. She actually plans on becoming Snow White at Disney World when she grows up. To me its like she has mixed together being logical about it along with the magic.
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2013, 06:04 AM   #3
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

I don't think you can change your daughter's fundamental nature. If she's logical and doesn't believe in the characters, then that's who she is.

But, as a 54 year old mom, I don't believe in the characters, and still have an amazing time! I think you just need to focus on all that's REALLY amazing at Disney... all the things they do like nobody else.

Hit the Fairy Godmailer thread and have someone send her a postcard from Disney, anticipating your arrival.

Get her a book on Hidden Mickeys and challenge her to find 100 of them.

If she's not into Princesses, consider meals at places like the Coral Reef, where the magic is real. Or a place like 1900 Park Fare, where the inteaction between the Stepsisters is utterly hysterical. Or the Hoop De Do Revue, where the jokes are fabulous.

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
msmama
DIS Veteran

My 5 year old, before our trip LAST YEAR (so at 4) told me he knew that everyone was just people in costumes. I tried to convince him that they were "helpers" like Santa's helper at the mall (Which he also figured out on his own).

That said, the longer we spend in WDW, the more he seems to "forget" that he knows that. I find that he does much better with characters at the END of a trip then at the beginning. In fact, he LOVED the characters at our last night Garden Grill dinner. Wouldn't let go of Chip and Dale (where earlier in the week he hid under the table at our princess meal).

I don't think you can convince her of anything, but Disney is still a magical place and you can show her that!

msmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
disney is my life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmama View Post
My 5 year old, before our trip LAST YEAR (so at 4) told me he knew that everyone was just people in costumes. I tried to convince him that they were "helpers" like Santa's helper at the mall (Which he also figured out on his own).

That said, the longer we spend in WDW, the more he seems to "forget" that he knows that. I find that he does much better with characters at the END of a trip then at the beginning. In fact, he LOVED the characters at our last night Garden Grill dinner. Wouldn't let go of Chip and Dale (where earlier in the week he hid under the table at our princess meal).

I don't think you can convince her of anything, but Disney is still a magical place and you can show her that!
That's the strange thing though she still believes in Santa (not the ones at the mall though) the Easter bunny and the tooth fairy but for someone reason she has something against the disney characters

Sent from my iPod touch using DISBoards

My Photobucket (Disigns, Autograph Book pages & Covers) : http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/di...?sort=9&page=1
Personalized Autograph Book Cover Request Thread: http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/di...?sort=9&page=1

November 2011-All Star Movies
March 2013-POP Century
November 2013-Caribbean Beach Resort
March 2015-All Star Music
disney is my life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Seven is a little old to believe story tale characters are actually real people (yes I think it's great when kids believe in Santa and other characters, but they eventually grow up!) and I'm not sure why you want to lie to your daughter or try to change her.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #7
Jonathan Swift
I'm being sarcastic...or am I?

Don't fight it. Maybe she's the kind of child that would love the tour on how Disney works?
Jonathan Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #8
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Swift View Post
Don't fight it. Maybe she's the kind of child that would love the tour on how Disney works?

Find something she would like, not what you want her to like.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

I agree with the others--you can't "make" her be a certain way, just go with the child you have. Less time with characters means more time for rides and shows. Fewer character meals means eating at other interesting venues. Her logical mind would find much to love about Epcot, particularly.
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #10
lukikam
Mouseketeer

She sounds like she might enjoy pin trading or finding hidden mickeys.

However, even though she's not excited about it now, doesn't mean she won't feel the magic once she gets there! And if she sees YOU skipping and dancing to the music (like most of us do! ...she might get into "believing" again!
Old 04-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #11
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Like the PP said pin trading and hidden mickey's.

There is also a program where DD can go and learn about the behind the sceneces. They have stuff for engineers, animals and other stuff. Sorry, can't remember the name of the program off the top of my head

Epcot and the fun of learning and seeing new places and people.

Make a game out of trying to trying to find out where everyone(CM) if from.

Have her stop and look at the sceenary of Disney. Have her describe it to you in detail.

Give her a camera and have her take pictures and journal her trip.

DD is 15 and not into princesses, was not even into them that much when she was younger, but she loves going and seeing and doing.

Edit:The program I was talking about is YES

Chrissy

Last edited by chris31997; 04-30-2013 at 01:03 AM.
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #12
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

My 15yo has high functioning autism. She's very logic oriented. She's never believed in these kinds of things. She loves the magic of Disney. It's kind of like role playing; you don't actually believe that you're the character you're pretending to be but that doesn't mean it's not fun to do it. Does she play any kind of make-believe with her toys? That's what all the characters and attractions at WDW are all about. You don't have to believe that they're real to let yourself be immersed in the fun of it.

I do think that my DD15 has spent as much time over the years trying to figure out the mechanics of how the attractions work as she has interacting with characters and submersing herself in the attractions but boy does she love WDW. That's just what she chooses to get out of the experience.

Despite what I just said, she's had some great character interactions. She loves getting into the role playing aspect of it and pretending that it's all real.

We never actually discussed whether or not the characters were real until one day she quietly whispered to me that she needed to make sure that we don't let her sister know that they're not real because that would ruin her fun. I think that was probably her way of acknowledging that she finally realized that others do think they're real. I don't think she ever did believe that.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #13
Pesky
"Who's the monkey?!"

Agree with pps. Instead of trying to make her believe in something that her age alone will not let linger for long, maybe focus on new ways to bring the magic to her. Like pps suggested, tours, pin and/or vinylmation trading, special photo scavenger hunts, etc. Magic isn't just believing the characters are real. FWIW, my 5yo has already announced that they are people in costumes pretending to be characters but she is still excited to meet them.

DH, the Disney doubter Me DD6 DS4
DLR Plan #2!: Coming soon to a DLR near you
WDW Plan: October 2016 (so very, very far away )
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #14
jadelane1
Mouseketeer

I did see that you can order a welcome package from the Disney florists and they leave a tinker bell shadow on the wall in glitter or something like that. Its expensive but I would look into it, maybe that would help? I know how you feel, my son is ten now but has been like that since I can remember. We have pictures of him on the rides trying to look at how the ride works rather then having fun when he was five, lol. It's just the way he is so we just try and roll with it. We look for hidden mickeys and trade pins (He has been trying to collect all chip and dale cast member pins). Like I said he is ten and will be eleven by our next trip and he still finds Disney to be a magical place but just in a different sort of way. There are many little secrets to find in the parks too, we have a list to find in September. Good luck
jadelane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #15
GoldieLocks5
Mouseketeer

My 6yo son is starting to question characters being real - and has decided that any character that can't talk is just a person in a costume, but the ones who can talk (princesses, etc) are really them he's also good about only WHISPERING this info to me- so his 3yo brothers don't hear it.

He is still excited to meet characters he knows are not real. Hell my 18yo niece who came with us last year was SOOOO excited to meet characters. She was happier than the boys!

[/url]
Mom to 1+Twins, all boys
Planning our 3rd Disney trip! 1st was March-April 2012, Suite @ ASMu. 2nd was May 5-11 at Beach Club, and 3rd will be early May, Beach Club again!
GoldieLocks5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: