Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
mj23cj
Earning My Ears

Disney Dream Cabin Category Question

I am thinking I am going to book a 4 night cruise on the Disney Dream for this September. We are 2 adults and 2 kids ages 5 & 1. I can book a category 11C if I don't have my 1 year old on my itinerary but if I add her the cheapest category is 11A. Why is that? The only difference I see in these categories are where they are located so why can we not do a 11C with the 1 year old too? Also I am wondering about sleeping arangements as it says this cabin is for 3 or 4 people but only some have the upper berth pull down bed. Do they expect us to put our 1 year old in the queen bed with us? How do you know what cabins have the pull down bed? She will be almost 23 months when we sail so not sure she would sleep in a pack and play but do they have them & is there room for them in the cabin? Also I was looking at prices on travelocity and they don't even have a way to put in a 1 year old.....anyone booked this way? How do I add her on travelocity? And one more thing....considering just doing a room with veranda as it is only $250 more but I am nervous about having one with a baby that loves to climb. Should I be? Thanks for everyones help!

Last edited by mj23cj; 04-26-2013 at 03:49 PM.
mj23cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj23cj View Post
I am thinking I am going to book a 4 night cruise on the Disney Dream for this September. We are 2 adults and 2 kids ages 5 & 1. I can book a category 11C if I don't have my 1 year old on my itinerary but if I add her the cheapest category is 11A. Why is that? The only difference I see in these categories are where they are located so why can we not do a 11C with the 1 year old too? Also I am wondering about sleeping arangements as it says this cabin is for 2 or 4 people but only some have the upper berth pull down bed. Do they expect us to put our 1 year old in the queen bed with us? How do you know what cabins have the pull down bed? She will be almost 23 months when we sail so not sure she would sleep in a pack and play but do they have them & is there room for them in the cabin? Also I was looking at prices on travelocity and they don't even have a way to put in a 1 year old.....anyone booked this way? How do I add her on travelocity? And one more thing....considering just doing a room with veranda as it is only $250 more but I am nervous about having one with a baby that loves to climb. Should I be? Thanks for everyones help!
There must not be any more 11C rooms available that will sleep 4. When you are booking with 4 people in your party, you will be shown availability for only those rooms that will accommodate your party size. Some of the cat 11 rooms don't have the upper berth, which means they will only sleep 3 people. The verandah doors are pretty tricky to open -- even for adults. If you keep it locked you shouldn't have any problems. I've never booked using Travelocity, so I can't help you there!

ETA: For that price difference, I'd definitely go with the verandah room. Besides having a verandah, they are bigger than the cat 11 rooms and have the split bath.

Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014
Lisa Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
mj23cj
Earning My Ears

Thanks Lisa! So you are saying they will definitely put us in a room with the upper birth since we are a party of 4 even though my daughter is still considered an infant? Thanks so much for all your answers!
Old 04-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks Lisa! So you are saying they will definitely put us in a room with the upper birth since we are a party of 4 even though my daughter is still considered an infant? Thanks so much for all your answers!
I don't have any experience cruising with an infant/toddler. Maybe give DCL a quick call and see what they say?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014
Lisa Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
baleeve
"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere -- I want it more than I can tell

Quote:
I am thinking I am going to book a 4 night cruise on the Disney Dream for this September. We are 2 adults and 2 kids ages 5 & 1. I can book a category 11C if I don't have my 1 year old on my itinerary but if I add her the cheapest category is 11A. Why is that? The only difference I see in these categories are where they are located so why can we not do a 11C with the 1 year old too? Also I am wondering about sleeping arangements as it says this cabin is for 3 or 4 people but only some have the upper berth pull down bed. Do they expect us to put our 1 year old in the queen bed with us? How do you know what cabins have the pull down bed? She will be almost 23 months when we sail so not sure she would sleep in a pack and play but do they have them & is there room for them in the cabin? Also I was looking at prices on travelocity and they don't even have a way to put in a 1 year old.....anyone booked this way? How do I add her on travelocity? And one more thing....considering just doing a room with veranda as it is only $250 more but I am nervous about having one with a baby that loves to climb. Should I be? Thanks for everyones help!
This shows that category 11c only sleeps 3?

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-cruise...ard-inside.htm

The Verandah comes with a child safety lock on the door that is way up high and apparently pretty hard to open even for some adults. I feared the same thing with 2 curious boys but I have been reassured its child proof.

Dance Team WDW Jul 80 Navy Graduation EPCOT Mar 88 Disneyland Mom 1 day trip April 88 Carnival Jubilee Aug 91 MK 1 day Mom Mar 95 Johns 1st visit POR Apr 96 WDW FWC Trip with Papa Sep 97 WDW FWC Family trip Dec 98 WDW POFQ/FWC - Work trip Mar 01 Sovereign of the Seas Sept 00 Owens 1st visit FWCG March 03 WDW 8 months prego w/Brady Jan 05 Carnival Fantasy Jun 07 WDW 1 day AK trip Mom Jan 08 Brady's 1st visit/Mardi Gras POFQ Feb 09 First Xmas at WDW/1st year remission celebration POP Dec 10 WDW AKL 4th yr remission celebration Aug 13 Magic/LBV/DTD Feb 2014
baleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Yes your 1 year old will get her own bed.
They will place you in a cabin with separate beds for all.
Well the queen bed counts for two travelers.
Which beds will vary depending on category booked.

Queen for two, couch, ceiling bunk, wall murphy for one, are all possibilities.
Exactly which extra beds you get does vary a bit related to the two pull downs.

Actually wall murphy only in cat 4a-d.(Dream Class) Not true. Some OV have these too.

In other words some cabins sleep four that don't have a ceiling bunk, it has the murphy instead.

So if booked in lower than cat 4, yes you will have the ceiling bunk for the fourth passenger.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #7
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Like PP said, if the 11C option disappears with the 1-year-old it is likely that all the rooms in that category that sleep four are booked, or the muster station for that room's lifeboat can only fit three more people at this point. (FWIW, 11C on the classic ships ONLY sleep three).

Yes, they will always put you in a room that sleeps four in beds even if one of them is an infant. DD first sailed at 21m (technically still 1-year-old on the reservation) and she ended up on the sofa bed with rails because we didn't want to use the pack'n'play. We love the secret verandah rooms on the classic ships but we can no longer book them now that we have two kids, even if DS doesn't need a bed for the next year or so.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #8
mj23cj
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone!

What is a secret veranda?
Old 04-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks everyone!

What is a secret veranda?
A room classified as a 7A enclosed verandah with an open-air porthole that is actually a 5C with a full plexiglass verandah that is barely obstructed. There are four of them on each classic ship (Magic and Wonder).
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
lpizzuro123
DIS Veteran

I would try to book a veranda with a child. This way if they go to sleep early, you can hang out on the veranda and not have to keep as quiet as if you were in the same room.

Linda

lpizzuro123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: