DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #16
DenLo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anal Annie View Post
. . .

Question for those who have been recently - how's the parking situation? Do we need to allow any extra time to park & walk in or anything. Since we've only done hired tours before we were dropped off by the entrance. I've never had to park there. Does my plan to leave Aulani at 7:00 sound reasonable for an 8:45 reservation? We chose a Saturday morning hoping to avoid some of the rush hour traffic problems.

OP - GOOD LUCK!!
Yes, you need to give yourself time for parking and checking your bags and purses*. The parking is spread between three or four lots all but one are beyond the area where you got on and off your bus. We had a 11:00 AM ticket and was told to pick up the tickets by 10:00 AM or they would sell them to walk in traffic. I picked the later time to miss the rush hour traffic, know we had to get there an hour earlier. We left Aulani around 9:15 and got there around 10:05 by time we parked and walked to the entrance.

I think 7:00 AM will work if you are actually driving out of the resort at the time. They do sell unclaimed tickets to walk-ins, but do not say what the cut off time is. I would assume it's in time for for the movie and they line you up for that 15 minutes before your ticket time.

Quote:
*Bags
Bags are prohibited at the Pearl Harbor Visitor Center due to strict security measures, so visitors are encouraged to pack lightly. Cameras, cell phones, wallets, and other similar personal items are allowed, but not if they are concealed in a purse, handbag, fanny pack, diaper bag, or camera bag. Although law enforcement and security bike patrols monitor the parking lots, do not leave items of value in your car. You may store your bags in the storage facility near the Visitor Center entrance for a nominal fee of $3 per bag. This facility is open daily from 6:30 am to 5:30 p.m.

DenLo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:05 AM   #17
Sir William
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenLo View Post
Yes, you need to give yourself time for parking and checking your bags and purses*. The parking is spread between three or four lots all but one are beyond the area where you got on and off your bus. We had a 11:00 AM ticket and was told to pick up the tickets by 10:00 AM or they would sell them to walk in traffic. I picked the later time to miss the rush hour traffic, know we had to get there an hour earlier. We left Aulani around 9:15 and got there around 10:05 by time we parked and walked to the entrance.

I think 7:00 AM will work if you are actually driving out of the resort at the time. They do sell unclaimed tickets to walk-ins, but do not say what the cut off time is. I would assume it's in time for for the movie and they line you up for that 15 minutes before your ticket time.

Bags, etc: we put all our bags, purses, etc in the trunk before leaving Aulani, just taking wallets and cameras in with us. Even though the parking lots are patrolled thieves watch to see if visitors put anything in the trunk when they park.

Parking gets tighter during the day. We had no trouble finding a space but when we returned after a couple of hours it was like a school of sharks circling to find a spot.
DL 1956; DL 1961; DL 1963; DL 1972; WDW 1979; DL 1983; WDW 1994; WDW Mar 1996; WDW (SOG) Aug 2000; WDW (SOG) Jan 2001; WDW (SOG) Jan 2005; Disney Magic, Western Caribbean, Jan 2011; WDW July 2011 (off-site); DVC (SSR) July 2010; Disney Magic, Bahamas, May 2012; WDW (SSR) May 2012; DVC (Aulani) May 2012; Aulani Apr 2013; DVC (SSR & BWV) June 2013; WDW (VWL) Mar 2014; Disney Dream, Bahamas, Mar 2014
Sir William is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2013, 06:22 AM   #18
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenLo View Post

Trying to minimize traffic problems is one reason we chose to go on a Saturday. I haven't been there since 2006 but thought I remembered there being several parking lots. I know if you're late they can / will / do sell your tix to walk-ups. I had called to see if there was a grace period on that hour and all they would say is be there an hour before your time if you don't want that to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir William View Post
Bags, etc: we put all our bags, purses, etc in the trunk before leaving Aulani, just taking wallets and cameras in with us. Even though the parking lots are patrolled thieves watch to see if visitors put anything in the trunk when they park.

Parking gets tighter during the day. We had no trouble finding a space but when we returned after a couple of hours it was like a school of sharks circling to find a spot.
Sounds like trying to find parking in the economy lots at Dulles! I will try to allow 15 minutes for parking.

I know all about the no bags rule. I got caught in there the last time and NEEDED something out of our bag (that was already checked). It was a real pain and we nearly missed our time for the movie while I was trying to work around what I needed out of the bag. DH has a money belt thing that he used in Europe when we went that we can bring and both he and DS will likely wear cargo shorts so we can stash some crackers or something to snack on. I also wear RX sunglasses and sometimes I use his big cargo pockets to stash my eyeglass case as I won't want to wear those when we're indoors shopping or during the movie. I will just have to keep my big DSLR around my neck for 5 hours.

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (Still a work in progress.)
Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #19
travelbug
DIS Veteran

OP here. Thanks again, everyone, for your replies and experiences. It's all helpful! I think we'll go for it by trying to arrive by 7:00 AM when the ticket office opens. Wish us luck!
2005 - Feb.-BCV & POFQ; Mar.-BWV & SSR
2006 - Feb.-BWV & ASMo; Apr.-BCV; Nov.-BCV
2007 - Feb.-BCV; Apr.-Grand Cayman (DVC pts.)
2008 - Jan.-BCV; Dec.-BWV; 2009 - Apr.-SSR
2010 - Feb.-BCV; Apr.-Cabo San Lucas (DVC pts.), Dec.-BWV
2012 - Feb.-AKV; Apr.-BWV; Dec.-BWV & BCV
2013 - June-Aulani; 2014 - Jan.-BWV
2015 - Jan.-BCV & BWV
travelbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #20
Sir William
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anal Annie View Post
[COLOR="Navy"]
Sounds like trying to find parking in the economy lots at Dulles! I will try to allow 15 minutes for parking.
Actually, it was WORSE!!!

Fortunately, I insisted we return earlier than DW would have liked, so we were able to find a spot before we missed our time slot.

I was there 2 years ago, before the new visitor center opened, so was a bit confused at first as to how the new system worked. Except for parking, all went smoothly though.

Just allow extra time to get there, find parking, and then spend some time either exploring the museum. Or, if you go out and return, allow extra time to find parking (and be nice to the visitors who are leaving - they may let you take their spot!).
DL 1956; DL 1961; DL 1963; DL 1972; WDW 1979; DL 1983; WDW 1994; WDW Mar 1996; WDW (SOG) Aug 2000; WDW (SOG) Jan 2001; WDW (SOG) Jan 2005; Disney Magic, Western Caribbean, Jan 2011; WDW July 2011 (off-site); DVC (SSR) July 2010; Disney Magic, Bahamas, May 2012; WDW (SSR) May 2012; DVC (Aulani) May 2012; Aulani Apr 2013; DVC (SSR & BWV) June 2013; WDW (VWL) Mar 2014; Disney Dream, Bahamas, Mar 2014
Sir William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #21
shrinkydinky
Disney Dreamer

We're going in June, and when i went to the Parks and Recs website, they are sold out until July. My husband wants to see the Arizona, Missouri, and Bowfin with his son, and i didn't want them to be disappointed. i spoke with a woman at the Missouri to get the low down on what to expect. She said that you can always get tickets for the Missouri or Bowfin on a walk-up basis. But it's a more difficult getting into the Arizona. i asked how the tour companies can have tickets when you can't get them at the actual site. She said they have caches of tickets, and she sees the Aulani tour bus there all the time.

So i spoke to the Aulani and they have two tours. One is for just the Arizona, leaves the resort at 6:30am and returns at 9:30am. You see the visitor center museum, a movie, and go over to the memorial. It cost $51.95 per person.

The other tour leaves at 7:30am and returns at 1pm. It includes the Arizona, Punchbowl, and an hour guided tour of the Missouri. It costs $79.57 per person. The person i spoke with at the Aulani said she has been on the tour and it was really nice. She said the guide was informative and entertaining. i opted for that one for my husband and step-son. Figured it would be better than them driving over, standing for hours, and maybe missing out on tickets. It doesn't include the Bowfin, but it sounded like they could drive over there on another day if they really wanted to see that.
shrinkydinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:16 AM   #22
travelbug
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkydinky View Post
We're going in June, and when i went to the Parks and Recs website, they are sold out until July. My husband wants to see the Arizona, Missouri, and Bowfin with his son, and i didn't want them to be disappointed. i spoke with a woman at the Missouri to get the low down on what to expect. She said that you can always get tickets for the Missouri or Bowfin on a walk-up basis. But it's a more difficult getting into the Arizona. i asked how the tour companies can have tickets when you can't get them at the actual site. She said they have caches of tickets, and she sees the Aulani tour bus there all the time.

So i spoke to the Aulani and they have two tours. One is for just the Arizona, leaves the resort at 6:30am and returns at 9:30am. You see the visitor center museum, a movie, and go over to the memorial. It cost $51.95 per person.

The other tour leaves at 7:30am and returns at 1pm. It includes the Arizona, Punchbowl, and an hour guided tour of the Missouri. It costs $79.57 per person. The person i spoke with at the Aulani said she has been on the tour and it was really nice. She said the guide was informative and entertaining. i opted for that one for my husband and step-son. Figured it would be better than them driving over, standing for hours, and maybe missing out on tickets. It doesn't include the Bowfin, but it sounded like they could drive over there on another day if they really wanted to see that.
This is great information! Thanks so much for posting it. It gives us an option to consider.
2005 - Feb.-BCV & POFQ; Mar.-BWV & SSR
2006 - Feb.-BWV & ASMo; Apr.-BCV; Nov.-BCV
2007 - Feb.-BCV; Apr.-Grand Cayman (DVC pts.)
2008 - Jan.-BCV; Dec.-BWV; 2009 - Apr.-SSR
2010 - Feb.-BCV; Apr.-Cabo San Lucas (DVC pts.), Dec.-BWV
2012 - Feb.-AKV; Apr.-BWV; Dec.-BWV & BCV
2013 - June-Aulani; 2014 - Jan.-BWV
2015 - Jan.-BCV & BWV
travelbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #23
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

Thank you, everyone, for the useful information posted here. Seeing the various Pearl Harbor elements is high on DH's list for our upcoming trip.

Appreciate the information!

- Dreams (and DH)

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #24
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dreams View Post
Thank you, everyone, for the useful information posted here. Seeing the various Pearl Harbor elements is high on DH's list for our upcoming trip.

Appreciate the information!

- Dreams (and DH)
I booked awhile back for August. Not sure what you are doing wrong but times ARE available through October. (I entered the combo one that includes the USS Missouri.)

http://www.recreation.gov/tourDetail...&tourId=317599

Try again...

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (Still a work in progress.)
Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #25
Debbie Jean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkydinky View Post

Did the second tour last February. It was excellent! Well worth the money... no worries about tickets, driving, etc. so it was possible to really enjoy the experience. BTW, we had plenty of time to see the Bowfin on our own. I'd definitely do another tour with this company in the future

Well worth the money
Old 06-18-2013, 01:50 AM   #26
WDW_Diane
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelbug View Post
Bummer, bummer, bummer. I went online to reserve tickets for Pearl Harbor, and they are all sold out until about 2 weeks after we've left. I could kick myself. I understand that they keep a very limited number of tickets back for walk-ups. There will be 3 of us. We'd be willing to get up before dawn and arrive early to be able to get tickets.

Any thoughts on how early we should get there? Any particular day of the week give us a better chance? Anyone reading this been successful recently at getting tickets as a walk-up? We will be at Aulani the last week in June.

Another thought. Is it possible that some of the tickets that have been sold are in the hands of tour operators? Should we consider trying to get on a tour, even though it would cost us more to do it that way?

Thanks for any thoughts. Gotta return to kicking myself now.
We are at Ko Olina now and were in the same situation. Our family of three got to Pearl Harbor at 7:10 on a Wednesday morning and he parked the car while I joined the end of the line, which looked to be 100 people. It went fast and we got our tickets to return at 12:45, I think the last ones are for 1:30. Get there a little earlier than we did.
I'm sitting on my lanai listening to Starlit Hui right now.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #27
gumbypee
Mouseketeer

What exactly is starlight hui?

Thanks
gumbypee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #28
Debbie Jean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbypee View Post
What exactly is starlight hui?

Thanks
The Starlit hui is Aulani's "luau" without the food... it's shorter and includes some Disney, though, is very respectful, I think, of native tradition. It's done several times a week so you need to check the schedule. Depending on where your room is located, you may actually have a balcony view

YouTube has lots of clips, e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiU1XAF0ino
Old 06-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #29
gumbypee
Mouseketeer

Awesome! Thank you for info!
gumbypee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #30
princesscinderella
Mouseketeer

We just returned from a week stay at Aulani, we were very sad to go. We did get walk up tickets to see the Arizona. We got in line and it was already almost to the street at 6:45. It moved quickly once the park opened and we got tickets for the 9:15 time. We were told that there were no more tickets available for the day for the Arizona as of 7:30. I would recommend seeing the bowfin and the Arizona too, you have to pay for admission to those but they are well worth it. Our kids especially loved the bowfin submarine.

As for the starlight Hui the show was held on Monday and Thursday night during our stay. We planned to do a bunch of sightseeing things on the island and only ended up seeing pearl harbor and weimea falls as we were having too much fun at the resort to leave.
Disney Dream cruise on 7/29/2011, 1/26/12, 7/21/13
Disney Fantasy on 7/28/12 and 3/30/2013
Epocot F&W 1/2 marathon 2012
Aulani 6/13
princesscinderella is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: