DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
travelbug
DIS Veteran

Aulani visitors - Who has toured USS Arizona without reservations?

Bummer, bummer, bummer. I went online to reserve tickets for Pearl Harbor, and they are all sold out until about 2 weeks after we've left. I could kick myself. I understand that they keep a very limited number of tickets back for walk-ups. There will be 3 of us. We'd be willing to get up before dawn and arrive early to be able to get tickets.

Any thoughts on how early we should get there? Any particular day of the week give us a better chance? Anyone reading this been successful recently at getting tickets as a walk-up? We will be at Aulani the last week in June.

Another thought. Is it possible that some of the tickets that have been sold are in the hands of tour operators? Should we consider trying to get on a tour, even though it would cost us more to do it that way?

Thanks for any thoughts. Gotta return to kicking myself now.
2005 - Feb.-BCV & POFQ; Mar.-BWV & SSR
2006 - Feb.-BWV & ASMo; Apr.-BCV; Nov.-BCV
2007 - Feb.-BCV; Apr.-Grand Cayman (DVC pts.)
2008 - Jan.-BCV; Dec.-BWV; 2009 - Apr.-SSR
2010 - Feb.-BCV; Apr.-Cabo San Lucas (DVC pts.), Dec.-BWV
2012 - Feb.-AKV; Apr.-BWV; Dec.-BWV & BCV
2013 - June-Aulani; 2014 - Jan.-BWV
2015 - Jan.-BCV & BWV
travelbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

My personal opinion is that you'll be able to get the tour. We went on Sunday, December 9th. We actually had a special harbor tour reserved for the afternoon that they operate only a couple of times a year so we didn't arrive until 10 or 10:30 am. When we purchased the tickets to also go see the Missouri we were asked if we wanted to do the Arizona at 11 am with what would have been a walk up ticket.

December is a different time than June but if you're planning on being there right when they open I'd give odds that you'll be fine. I've toured the memorial 3 or 4 times now and never have reserved for it but it had been a couple of years since the last time.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
stitchandco
Earning My Ears

We went in march. We arrived around 9 and they were out of tickets. We got very lucky however and were put on standby. We made it on the 9:30 tour.
stitchandco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
abdgeek
DIS Veteran

I went to Pearl Harbor in June of 2011 without a reservation and got a ticket for the Arizona. I got there around 10am and the earliest tour I could get was at 12:30. I used the extra time to see the USS Missouri and Bowfin.
abdgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
kvichi
Mouseketeer

We went in March on a Monday and tickets were sold out by 9:30ish. I would plan on being there as soon as they open the box office. There is still lots to see without actually going out to the Arizona, but it wouldn't be quite as meaningful.
kvichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
izzy
"It's not the heat -- it's the stupidity"

I did this last May on a Friday. Don't quote me on these times, but I think I got there just a few minutes after 8 and got a ticket for around 9:30. Be sure to factor in the heavy traffic!!

izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelbug View Post
Bummer, bummer, bummer. I went online to reserve tickets for Pearl Harbor, and they are all sold out until about 2 weeks after we've left. I could kick myself. I understand that they keep a very limited number of tickets back for walk-ups. There will be 3 of us. We'd be willing to get up before dawn and arrive early to be able to get tickets.

Any thoughts on how early we should get there? Any particular day of the week give us a better chance? Anyone reading this been successful recently at getting tickets as a walk-up? We will be at Aulani the last week in June.

Another thought. Is it possible that some of the tickets that have been sold are in the hands of tour operators? Should we consider trying to get on a tour, even though it would cost us more to do it that way?

I am planning on booking online for August (I keep checking the date we want every week to be sure there are still tix left). Since we are also planning on doing the USS Missouri too which costs a lot more I keep putting off actually buying the tix as I don't want to pay for them just quite yet. They recommend arriving an hour before your reservation time. I called to ask what happens if you're late and they told me those are the people who forfeit their tix to the walk-ups. So anybody who's late runs the risk of losing their reservation time. I have been to PH 4 times before but have always booked a tour on the spur of the moment (that picked us up from our hotels in Waikiki). I am sure that tour operators have their own stash of tix because we've always done it last minute. This will be our first time going on our own and planning ahead... The line to get in is long regardless.

(OP - FWIW I sort of know how you feel. When we went to Paris before our DCL Med cruise I kept putting off pre-buying tix for the Eiffel Tower 'cuz I couldn't decide on a time. By the time I DID decide they were sold out online (for the WHOLE DAY) and I was so mad at myself. I really didn't want to waste 90 min. standing in line just to buy tix to stand in line for the elevators again so I ended up finding a behind the scenes tour to book that went underground to see the elevator workings and which included tix to the 2nd level. (From there we were able to buy tix to the summit with only a 30 min. wait.) Yes, it cost a lot more but it was so neat and it saved us a LOT of precious time.) GOOD LUCK!!

Come join me for my 2nd ever trip report now in progress for DisneyLAND and Aulani and Maui 2014. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post52179607

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (ALMOST but not quite finished)

August 2014 - 3 n @ VGC & DL followed by 7 n @ Aulani follwed by 3 n on Maui / Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[/url]IMG]http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/uploads/21406/ssrgroup.jpg[/IMG] [url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

Last edited by Anal Annie; 04-26-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #8
MMcCarthy
DIS Veteran

We did the your through aulani. It cost a little more but the drive and tickets were worth the expense. Our driver definitely enjoyed his job and made the travel time entertaining and informative.
Offsite 12/1998 mini honeymoon--first time I had been to WDW, All Star Sports 8/98-20+ family mbrs--first time for our kids, OKW 8/2000--brother & his family with our kids--commando style, DCL 4 night wonder 11/2003--just the four of us--absolutely paradise, DCL 3 night wonder 4/2004--mother & sister & nephew--too little time too much to do, VB 6/2004--first time home--should have bought much earlier, OKW April 2005 with inlaws--best vacation ever, WLV Aug 2005 with neice & nephew--hottest every, SSR April 2005 with inlaws and neice--wonderful trip, Disney Magic Double Dip Dec 2006--paradise found, BCV Dec 2006--MVMCP--wonderful, AKV August 2007--Daughter's 16 birthday trip, April 2008 VB--most relaxing vacation yet, August 2008-OKW--inlaws & DF--1st time home since losing mom, December 2008 (New Years)--HHI--almost whole family, nice & relaxing, April 2009 AKV & VWL-Girl Scouts Senior trip--extremely hectic, March 2010-AKV-first time at the lodge with inlaws, what a trip, April 2011-AKV-had to see Harry Potter world, disappointed, December 2011-SS-inlaws at Christmas-priceless

MMcCarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
Sir William
DIS Veteran

We went a few days ago.

Arrive early. They open at 7am and by 9 tickets are usually gone. When we arrived at 8am they only had 5 tickets left, and those were for 10.45.

The Rangers said in the summer months they are out of tickets within minutes of opening.
DL 1956; DL 1961; DL 1963; DL 1972; WDW 1979; DL 1983; WDW 1994; WDW Mar 1996; WDW (SOG) Aug 2000; WDW (SOG) Jan 2001; WDW (SOG) Jan 2005; Disney Magic, Western Caribbean, Jan 2011; WDW July 2011 (off-site); DVC (SSR) July 2010; Disney Magic, Bahamas, May 2012; WDW (SSR) May 2012; DVC (Aulani) May 2012; Aulani Apr 2013; DVC (SSR & BWV) June 2013; WDW (VWL) Mar 2014; Disney Dream, Bahamas, Mar 2014; Disney Magic, Mediterranean, May-Jun 2014
Sir William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #10
travelbug
DIS Veteran

Thanks for your replies, everyone! Sounds like we may have a chance if we arrive there super early and beat the others arriving super early. I have a couple follow-up questions below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMcCarthy View Post
We did the your through aulani. It cost a little more but the drive and tickets were worth the expense. Our driver definitely enjoyed his job and made the travel time entertaining and informative.
Can you tell me a little more about the tour you arranged through Aulani? Do you remember the approximate cost? Did you arrange that with Aulani before you arrived there, or after you got there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir William View Post
We went a few days ago.

Arrive early. They open at 7am and by 9 tickets are usually gone. When we arrived at 8am they only had 5 tickets left, and those were for 10.45.

The Rangers said in the summer months they are out of tickets within minutes of opening.
So the box office opens at 7:00, or the tours start at 7:00? Trying to figure out how early we'd need to arrive to be "safe", and how much drive time to allow early in the morning. How long did the drive take you from Aulani at that time of morning?

I'm fuzzy on how some of this works. I visited Pearl Harbor before, but it was literally 20 years ago. I don't remember the area clearly (though visiting the Arizona itself is etched in my memory), and I'm sure things have changed in some ways since then anyway.

If we arrived early (7:00 or so?), were lucky enough to get tickets for a tour (let's say a few hours later), what could we do in the meantime at that early hour? Anywhere to have breakfast there? Do the other museums open that early?

Again, thank you to everyone! I appreciate your help as I try to make this work. The family members going with me have never been to Hawaii, and they REALLY want to see Pearl Harbor among other things. I feel badly for goofing this up already by not getting advance tickets.
2005 - Feb.-BCV & POFQ; Mar.-BWV & SSR
2006 - Feb.-BWV & ASMo; Apr.-BCV; Nov.-BCV
2007 - Feb.-BCV; Apr.-Grand Cayman (DVC pts.)
2008 - Jan.-BCV; Dec.-BWV; 2009 - Apr.-SSR
2010 - Feb.-BCV; Apr.-Cabo San Lucas (DVC pts.), Dec.-BWV
2012 - Feb.-AKV; Apr.-BWV; Dec.-BWV & BCV
2013 - June-Aulani; 2014 - Jan.-BWV
2015 - Jan.-BCV & BWV
travelbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #11
Anal Annie

I "think" the first tour of the day is at 8:00 so when they say the tix window opens at 7:00 that is for tix distribution.

BTW I have literally been checking every for several weeks now for the date and time that we want to go in August. Last week the entire morning was still wide open. But seeing your thread reminded me it was time to look so when I went online I found that ALL of the time slots for the 9:00, 10:00 and 11:00 hours were GONE already!! Completely!! There were still 8 slots left for 8:45 and then nothing else until Noon so I quickly grabbed 3 of the 8:45 ones!! We had decided we wanted to go around 9:15 or 9:30 so 8:45 isn't too far off from what we wanted. We just figured with needing to arrive an hour early and it being almost an hour away from Aulani we didn't want to go TOOO early (DH doesn't want to get up at 5:00). Hopefully this way we can get up at 6:00, leave by 7:00 and be there by 7:45.

Question for those who have been recently - how's the parking situation? Do we need to allow any extra time to park & walk in or anything. Since we've only done hired tours before we were dropped off by the entrance. I've never had to park there. Does my plan to leave Aulani at 7:00 sound reasonable for an 8:45 reservation? We chose a Saturday morning hoping to avoid some of the rush hour traffic problems.

OP - GOOD LUCK!!

Come join me for my 2nd ever trip report now in progress for DisneyLAND and Aulani and Maui 2014. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post52179607

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (ALMOST but not quite finished)

August 2014 - 3 n @ VGC & DL followed by 7 n @ Aulani follwed by 3 n on Maui / Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[/url]IMG]http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/uploads/21406/ssrgroup.jpg[/IMG] [url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

Old 04-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
Mamiamjo
"M-I-C... S-E"

Where do you check online?

We will be going in September and would really like to visit PH. Can you tell me what website I can go to, to buy tickets online?
Mamiamjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #13
Anal Annie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamiamjo View Post
We will be going in September and would really like to visit PH. Can you tell me what website I can go to, to buy tickets online?
As part of the National Park Service you go to Recreation.gov

http://www.recreation.gov/tourList.d...O&parkId=72369

If you're only going to visit the USS Arizona it's free but there is a charge to also tour the USS Missouri which is currently docked there along with the other museums ($55 adult / $30 child 4-12). They do charge a $1.50 convenience fee tho for the tix. Note that no bags of any sort are allowed in - they will let you check them for $3 each so travel lite!!

Last edited by Anal Annie; 04-28-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #14
LvCruzin
Earning My Ears

Quote:

Aloha....I live in HAwaii and just went to the Arizona this past Saturday with family from out of town. We got there around 9 and got the last 4 tickets for the 11am boat. My husband and friend went there a couple of months ago and went before 8am and got tickets right away. Its a hit or miss but if you get the tickets for an hour or two later there is a wonderful museum to go thru at the visitors center. Good luck and if you have any other questions please feel free to ask. You are gonna love the Aulani.
LvCruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #15
Sir William
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for your replies, everyone! Sounds like we may have a chance if we arrive there super early and beat the others arriving super early. I have a couple follow-up questions below. Can you tell me a little more about the tour you arranged through Aulani? Do you remember the approximate cost? Did you arrange that with Aulani before you arrived there, or after you got there?

So the box office opens at 7:00, or the tours start at 7:00? Trying to figure out how early we'd need to arrive to be "safe", and how much drive time to allow early in the morning. How long did the drive take you from Aulani at that time of morning?

I'm fuzzy on how some of this works. I visited Pearl Harbor before, but it was literally 20 years ago. I don't remember the area clearly (though visiting the Arizona itself is etched in my memory), and I'm sure things have changed in some ways since then anyway.

If we arrived early (7:00 or so?), were lucky enough to get tickets for a tour (let's say a few hours later), what could we do in the meantime at that early hour? Anywhere to have breakfast there? Do the other museums open that early?

Again, thank you to everyone! I appreciate your help as I try to make this work. The family members going with me have never been to Hawaii, and they REALLY want to see Pearl Harbor among other things. I feel badly for goofing this up already by not getting advance tickets.
First tour starts at 8am. You view a film about the attack and the creation of the memorial, then take a boat to the Memorial. You can stay as long as you like but most stay about 15 minutes or so.

There is a museum on WWII in the Pacific and of course the gift shop. The submarine USS Bowfin next door opens at 7am. The battleship USS Missouri and Pacific AvIation Museum both open at 8am, but they are on Ford Island and you need either military ID to enter, or be part of a tour.

I didn't see any restaurants in the immediate vicinity but anyone can eat at the Navy Exchange food court off Radford Drive just south of the Memorial.

Figure at least 1/2 hour to get there, more for a weekday due to traffic buildup as you get closer in, but I didn't think it overly heavy and it did move along, just a bit slower than the speed limit.
DL 1956; DL 1961; DL 1963; DL 1972; WDW 1979; DL 1983; WDW 1994; WDW Mar 1996; WDW (SOG) Aug 2000; WDW (SOG) Jan 2001; WDW (SOG) Jan 2005; Disney Magic, Western Caribbean, Jan 2011; WDW July 2011 (off-site); DVC (SSR) July 2010; Disney Magic, Bahamas, May 2012; WDW (SSR) May 2012; DVC (Aulani) May 2012; Aulani Apr 2013; DVC (SSR & BWV) June 2013; WDW (VWL) Mar 2014; Disney Dream, Bahamas, Mar 2014; Disney Magic, Mediterranean, May-Jun 2014
Sir William is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: