DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
disfanforlife
DIS Veteran

What is the best week to go in January?

We have never been to Disney in January before. Our daughters will be off from college for three weeks in January. At first I didn't think that I wanted to go then because I thought it would be cooler, and also because we are going in November. So, I wanted to book in March (which is when they have Spring Break) and also to have longer between our two trips. But now after everything I have been reading I think March will be too crowded for us. We are used to going in November when it is quieter. I heard that it is best to avoid Martin Luther King weekend and also the Marathon weekend. So, I am thinking the week of January 6th. Anyone gone then and what was it like?
Old 04-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
robinb
DIS Veteran

I just peeked at Touring Plan's historical crowd calendar and it looks like the crowds are very low in that week between the Monday after NYE and the Marathon. It gets busier on Sat/Sun of the Marathon but the week before looks like clear sailing! Make sure to book your room NOW as the Thursday and Friday of Marathon weekend are already sold out at some resorts (BWV for instance).
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
disfanforlife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
I just peeked at Touring Plan's historical crowd calendar and it looks like the crowds are very low in that week between the Monday after NYE and the Marathon. It gets busier on Sat/Sun of the Marathon but the week before looks like clear sailing! Make sure to book your room NOW as the Thursday and Friday of Marathon weekend are already sold out at some resorts (BWV for instance).
Thanks, is the Marathon weekend the 11th? I booked at AKV because we own there. We just added in at BWV (resale) but the points haven't loaded into our account yet. I was hoping to be able to get at least half or our stay booked there and the other half at AKV - maybe I will be able to book it for the first half of the week. Was everything booked at BWV? Or just studios? Because we would want a one or two bedroom.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

We unknowingly arrived on the marathon day last trip, and ran into a bunch of closed roads. I feel like the parks, especially the magic kingdom was busier than other weeks in january when we have gone. It was warm enough for us to swim everyday, other years it has been way to cold to swim. That first week after nye is a great week to go.

Sent from my phone using DISBoards Ap, please excuse any typos and autocorrect mistakes.

Trip report from our first DVC trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864556
Plus our Anniversary Vacation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954701
Trip report with a potty training toddler: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412
I survived a trip with MIL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040750
A Magic Kingdom Ultimate Tour Adventure http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=1
First trip with Magic Bands http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3170056
Post Holiday Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201404
Non-Fancy Fanatics at VGF http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3268362
Sept '03 (All Star Sports, DH's first trip) || March '04 (Travelodge) || March '05 (Star Island) || XMAS '06 (All Star Vacation Home) || March '07 (POP, Deluxe Dining Plan) || March '09 (POP) || June '09 Disney Land || April '11 (All Star Vacation Home, DS's first trip-14m) || January '12 (OKW, first DVC trip) || July '12 (Boardwalk, Anniversary Trip) || Sept '12 (AKV) || Jan '13 (AKV) || July '13 (SSR, Anniversary Trip) || September '13 (SSR) || January '14 (Boardwalk, AKV) || May '14 (VGF and Expedition Everest Challenge)
DisneyRegulars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
aes74
visiting wdw since '74 (as a baby!)

If you can avoid the week the Brazilian kids tour group comes on their winter break that would be a plus. They are a nightmare. If you can't, go to whichever park they are not in that day.
aes74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #6
disfanforlife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aes74 View Post
If you can avoid the week the Brazilian kids tour group comes on their winter break that would be a plus. They are a nightmare. If you can't, go to whichever park they are not in that day.
I have no idea when that is. We are planning to arrive on Sunday January 5th and leave on Saturday January 11th. We would arrive a day earlier but don't know if that is better or worse. The Marathon I believe is 11 th so that seems like a good day to leave to me!
Old 04-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
disfanforlife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRegulars View Post
We unknowingly arrived on the marathon day last trip, and ran into a bunch of closed roads. I feel like the parks, especially the magic kingdom was busier than other weeks in january when we have gone. It was warm enough for us to swim everyday, other years it has been way to cold to swim. That first week after nye is a great week to go.

Sent from my phone using DISBoards Ap, please excuse any typos and autocorrect mistakes.
Thank you. I want to avoid that if possible. I hope it's warm. Even if its not warm enough to swim, just as long as we don't have to wear winter coats I will be happy!
Old 04-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #8
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

The marathon weekend starts on Wednesday, Jan 8, with the Expo, on Thursday the 5K race, Friday the 10K race, Saturday half marathon and Sunday full marathon. And the family runs will be somewhere in there, too.

The roads will be impacted on Saturday and Sunday with the half and full marathons.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #9
gopfans
Earning My Ears

The actual marathon is on Sunday the 12th. The half marathon is Saturday the 12th. You will have road closures both days. Folks will start coming on Wednesday or even before for the weekend since the 5k will be on Thursday and 10k Friday. With the addition of the Dopey Challenge and 10k race for 2014 plan for an even bigger crowd this year. Last year was very warm that weekend. Definite pool and shorts weather.

Disneyland 1/2 Marathon 2010
Wine and Dine 1/2 Marathon 2010
Disney World 1/2 Marathon 2011
Disneyland 1/2 Marathon 2011-Coast to Coast
Princess 1/2 Marathon 2012
**In Training** Disney World FULL Marathon 2013

Calling Animal Kingdom Villas Home since 2012
gopfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #10
Halle
DIS Veteran

We went January 22nd to 27th fabulous weather and low crowds.
Halle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #11
disfanforlife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopfans View Post
The actual marathon is on Sunday the 12th. The half marathon is Saturday the 12th. You will have road closures both days. Folks will start coming on Wednesday or even before for the weekend since the 5k will be on Thursday and 10k Friday. With the addition of the Dopey Challenge and 10k race for 2014 plan for an even bigger crowd this year. Last year was very warm that weekend. Definite pool and shorts weather.
Not as busy as spring break though? That is why we are changing our plans from march to January. If it is going to be just as crowded, then I might rethink the whole idea.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #12
disfanforlife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halle View Post
We went January 22nd to 27th fabulous weather and low crowds.
Girls go back to college on the 26 so that week is not good. I was thinking the week after marathon, but thought that would be busier with Martin Luther king holiday.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #13
disfanforlife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
The marathon weekend starts on Wednesday, Jan 8, with the Expo, on Thursday the 5K race, Friday the 10K race, Saturday half marathon and Sunday full marathon. And the family runs will be somewhere in there, too.

The roads will be impacted on Saturday and Sunday with the half and full marathons.
So, the events on Wednesday - Friday won't effect the parks too much? We would leave on Saturday. Probably not the same level of crowds as spring break in march?
Old 04-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #14
disfanforlife
DIS Veteran

When do the New Years crowds generally leave? I can move our trip earlier. I really want to go the least crowded week in January. We can travel anytime between Jan 1-23.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #15
drusba

DIS Veteran

Jan 1 is Wed. You will still have large Christmas size crowds until Friday, although they could last through the 4th. They will lighten fairly quickly after that. The hotel Christmas decorations will likely come down overnight between Jan 3 and 4. The will start taking park decorations down Jan 5 or 6 and those usually take a few days to take down completely. The marathon group comes in Wednesday as events start Thurs. However, the parks will actually not be real crowded during that weekend. You will have some blocked roads during the various race days although that usually ends by afternoon and it does not stop the park buses from running; they may just have some rerouting. After Sunday the 12, the marathon group will be gone and crowds will not be bad that whole week, The MLK group starts to move in Friday and crowds get heavy but it really is not hugely crowded during that time. After Jan 21, crowds will be fine again through the end of the month.

As to being warm enough for pools, it will be hit or miss. some years you can be there a week and have temps in high 70s all week and another year they can sit at 50 or below.What often occurs is that you get some warm days and some cool ones .

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: