Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

Bahamas Cruise in February???

is it normally warm enough to enjoy everything? the pools, beach, etc? it would be a major bummer to book this, wait all these months for it, and then have it be to cool to do anything!
*4/2012: Mother/son trip ~ CBR *4/2013: 2nd Family trip ~ AoA Nemo/Disney Dream *8/2013: Kid-Free trip ~ YC
*8/2014: 2nd Kid-Free trip ~ WL
NEXT UP: *4/15: 3rd Family Trip ~ CSR!*
TJDisneymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

We have cruised the last week of February for 3 yrs in a row. THis year we did Bahamas. The weather was gorgeous, it wasn't too hot outside, but we could always sun on the deck or be in the pool. We got frriiieeedddd in Bahamas! Doesn't feel that hot, but wow that sun is a lot stronger than you think! We went to WDW on Feb 21,22 and it was 82 and sunny. We went on the cruise, came back on Mar 2, and it was 45! We literally ran around all the WDW parks, half to keep moving, half to keep warm! So you never know once you get back to FL what you will have that time of year.
The actual temperature of the ocean is about 70, so be prepared for that. My sis used a wetsuit, but I always swim and snorkel in it and never do. You just gotta be committed, but once in the water, it's fine.

But we had a blast, and we have had 3 good cruises in late Feb. If you are cruising before that, I couldn't really advise you much!

On the bright side, no hurricane season!
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

From what I've read, weather and water temp in February can vary greatly. We were on the Dream in mid Feb last year and we had fantastic weather. It was in the 50s in Orlando/Port Canaveral, but when we woke up in Nassau it was warm and sunny. I think it was low 80s and sunny from that point forward. The water at Blue Lagoon Island was chilly but swimmable. We had a gorgeous day at CC. The water was a bit cooler there than in Nassau, but we all swam. We were on the Fantasy in late March, and I thought the water was even colder than it was last February! I only went in up to my waist, and DD didn't want to go in at all. She spent a good chunk of the day on her float. Best $6 you'll ever spend!

Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014
Lisa Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Two Februarys ago my cousin and her family went on a 3 night Dream cruise. They coudln't go in the water, they didn't even get into bathing suits, while on CC really. It was rather cold. It was cold in Florida, too; we were there for WDW and Universal, and went out to Daytona the day they disembarked to visit, and we were all VERY cold. (my cousin and her kids might have grown up in FL, but we live in WA, so it wasn't just a relative cold)

This Feb we joined them on the same cruise, and it was absolutely lovely. The water at CC was quite chilly when I first tried to get in, but later in the day either it had warmed up or I had, and it was more tolerable. The sun was lovely when I was on my lounge chair, and it was just a gorgeous, gorgeous day. The whole cruise was lovely, weather-wise, actually.

So it can really vary. We were nervous, and I think there were people before and after our cruise who didn't have such good weather, but it's kind of what you get when you book during winter.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

I really enjoyed my mid April Dream this month. Water was still cold, but everything was 99% just right.

I think I will hope for Mid April next year also...
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDisneymama View Post
is it normally warm enough to enjoy everything? the pools, beach, etc? it would be a major bummer to book this, wait all these months for it, and then have it be to cool to do anything!
Well the pools and such are OK - to us, Castaway Cay is unswimmable (and we expected it to be that way). It's like that from Nov until June. The weather was fine in Feb - I felt that it was coolest in early Jan. It definitely depends on where you are from tho. There are people that will still swim at CC. I let my DD go in in a shortie wetsuit for about 2 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox97 View Post
Well the pools and such are OK - to us, Castaway Cay is unswimmable (and we expected it to be that way). It's like that from Nov until June.

unswimmable until June? lol. We just came back and the water was definitely swimmable! And I'm a wimp, I don't go in cold water at all....
*4/2012: Mother/son trip ~ CBR *4/2013: 2nd Family trip ~ AoA Nemo/Disney Dream *8/2013: Kid-Free trip ~ YC
Old 04-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:

unswimmable until June? lol. We just came back and the water was definitely swimmable! And I'm a wimp, I don't go in cold water at all....
Yep. I'm from Florida. I put a finger in in March and screamed like a little girl. It just starts to warm up in June for us but man do I love CC in August!!!! It's still warm thru Oct.; then the nights start to cool and the water temp begins to fall...

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Old 04-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #9
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox97 View Post
Yep. I'm from Florida. I put a finger in in March and screamed like a little girl. It just starts to warm up in June for us but man do I love CC in August!!!! It's still warm thru Oct.; then the nights start to cool and the water temp begins to fall...

lol, I just came back from WDW and the cruise and swore never again in April...... too HOT for me!
Old 04-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #10
kalc12345
DIS Veteran

In Feb the weather can be all over the place. We went the end of Feb first of March this year. The weather was not great. Our Nassau day it was in the low 70's. We did the Aquaduck and it was a little chilly, but doable. Our CC day was high 60's and just too cool to get in the water.

Last edited by kalc12345; 04-26-2013 at 06:27 PM.
kalc12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #11
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:

lol, I just came back from WDW and the cruise and swore never again in April...... too HOT for me!
It has been a warmer than average April for us!

Old 04-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #12
islandtimect
DIS Veteran

Feb in Bahamas is too cold for me to enjoy the water and sometimes the air temp too. This isn't the warm waters of the Caribbean. And if you are like most of us, a fun day in the waters and sunbathing at Castaway Cay is highlight of a Disney cruise. You could always get a warm week, but DCL is so expensive, I wouldn't do the Bahamas from Dec to Mar.
islandtimect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #13
sunryzez
Mouseketeer

I think it is hit or miss on if the weather will be freezing or not but Feb is usually one of the colder months so you will not be getting a super hot and sunny day. However, you might luck out and get a nice day in the 80's. I went in late Jan and it was freezing and I was devastated. But, the week before the guide was telling me it was mid 80's and sunny so you never know.
Bottom line if you are looking for super hot, perfect beach and ocean weather Feb is a gamble....but if thats not the selling point of your cruise then go for it!

sunryzez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:30 PM   #14
tmoor
Earning My Ears

January 2013 was nice weather

We went Jan 6 on the Dream and it was very nice in the Bahamas. The water was nowhere near as cool as we anticipated. It was in the mid to upper 70s. Orlando was pretty warm and humid.
tmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #15
TJDisneymama
DIS Veteran

Ugh, ok, guess i should go with april instead. I think we have a decent chance of nice weather in feb. But the odds arent good enough for me to risk it. I've been to the bahamas 5-6 times, always in the winter and never had a problem with cool weather, but maybe i've just been lucky. We only do 1 good vacation a year, i dont want to risk it being ruined by cold weather.....

Argh, I HATE waiting 'til April, it just makes the months between xmas and vacation seem SO LONG!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: