Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #16
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

December 9, 2012. My family was dining at Akershus. My daughter (now 3, 2 at the time) has a speech delay and when you couple that with her shyness, you can understand why I was hesitant to do many character meals. However, my daughter absolutely loves Snow White. Her favorite color is yellow and she always talks about how much Snow White loves yellow, as well. My daughter loves apples and talks about how much Snow White loves apples (ironically, bananas used to be her favorite fruit until Snow White talked to her about apples, but that is another story). When I fix her hair in the morning, she always asks me to fix it like Snow White. This girl LOVES Snow White.

So we are talking to her all day about how we are going to dine with the princesses that night. She is so excited all keeps talking about how she is going to get to meet Snow White. Our reservation time rolls around and we go check in. She is jumping up and down and saying, "Snow White! Snow White!" We go and have our photo taken will Belle in her beautiful ball gown. My poor daughter, though, is just terrified. She knows she shouldn't be afraid of Belle, but she was just so darn shy. Belle was very understanding, talked about how Chip is shy at times, took a picture with us, and was done. We were seated and my daughter, Miss One Track Mind, is asking where Snow White is and when she will come around. We tell her soon.

In come the princesses! First to visit our table was Cinderella. We were a table of 5 adults and my daughter. Cinderella tries to talk to my daughter who just clings to me. Cinderella was polite and understanding, though, making sure to give our table just as much attention even though our daughter was so shy. Next up: Aurora. She was very good. She commented on my daughter's pink shirt and how pink was her Aunt Flora's favorite color. unfortunately, our shy little flower still said nothing. Aurora was fantastic with us and then went on her way. My daughter started looking around the room begging for Snow White. Well, guess who appeared next? Here came Snow White! While she was at the table next to us, our daughter was jumping up and down in her high chair and point out Snow White to anyone who would pay any attention. Snow White walks up to our table, says, "Hello Princess!" My poor little girl is star struck. She stares at Snow White with this ridiculous combination of goofy grin and open mouth. She can't say a word. Snow White is very patient, though. She tries to get our daughter to snap out of it, but no luck. It was time for her to move on. As soon as she leaves our table, my daughter snaps out of it long enough to be broken hearted. Her face just falls and she gets these little tears in her eyes as she looks and me and says, "Snow White's gone?" My heart broke for her.

Finally, Ariel came to our table. My daughter, just like with Cinderella and Aurora was too shy to speak. Ariel is not discouraged. She just keeps talking to my daughter as though she is responding. I don't know what kind of Under The Sea Voodoo Ariel worked on my daughter, but my daughter snapped out of it and was talking up a storm to this fabulous mermaid. It was fantastic. My daughter's face was so bright and she was loving her time with Ariel. Unfortunately, it was time for Ariel to go and whatever spell she had weaved was undone. She walked away, my daughter turns to me and says, "Is Snow White coming back?" and "Please Snow White?" It was so sad. Ariel, though, heard her. She comes back by our table and asked why our "shy little fish" was so sad. We explained that she was wanting to see Snow White. Ariel thought that meant that Snow White had skipped our table. We explained the whole situation about Snow White being her favorite, her shyness, how she was star stuck with Snow White, and how Ariel was the only one able to get her to even speak. Ariel said that she would see if Snow White could stop back by. Snow White did. Second verse same as the first. Our daughter was just too star stuck to say a word. Well, at least we tried again, right?

It was then time for the princess parade. Ariel comes by our table and asks our daughter if she will be Ariel's special partner in the parade. She takes my daughter by the hand and leads her around the room. My daughter's face was brighter than a Christmas tree and it was more than we could have ever hoped for. Ariel wasn't done, though. The parade was over but Ariel had other plans. She didn't bring our daughter back to our table. No, Ariel, holding my daughter's hand, leads her to this secluded corner of the room where Snow White happened to be waiting. Working her magic again, Ariel got my daughter out of her shell and talking to Snow White. The three of them had some special time together before it was time to say goodbye and head back to our table. It was our family's turn to be speechless.

Our daughter still talks about how much she love Snow White, how nice she was at that dinner, and how she is her favorite. For the rest of us, though, Ariel was the real miracle worker and became every else's favorite. I can't imagine more pixie dust being sprinkled on us for a trip.

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR* *2015 - CR*

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #17
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Every 2 years my father takes all his kids, their spouses and children on a family reunion to Disneyland. About 7 years ago, we weren't sure if we'd be able to make it, as my mother had just had heart surgery (7 bypasses and a stent), and it was touch and go for a while. We ended up being able to go, and on our first night there, we were all (20 people) bunched together on the ground waiting for the MSEP. Mom was in her wheelchair, surrounded by her grandchildren, and I remember her looking at everyone with a huge smile on her face. She said, "This is my idea of heaven!" And it was!

She passed away 3 years later, and we all talk about that moment when we are back in Disneyland. We are going again the first week in June, and our first stop will be at "Grandma's spot", so we can all have a moment to remember her, and how much she loved being in Disneyland with her children and grandchildren! That is my idea of heaven!

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors ~ Welcome to Last Chance ~ Last Chance Beauty Queen ~ Last Chance Knit and Stitch ~ The World According to Garp ~ The Bean Trees ~ I'll Be Seeing You ~ The Hours ~ Prodigal Summer ~ The Ocean at the End of the Lane ~ The Light Between Oceans
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #18
BlueStarryHat

Just picture everyone sitting at the computer in their underwear

In 2008, my niece and I were coming off Spaceship Earth and CMs were there handing out Year of a Million Dreams Ears. My niece was too cool for it, but I put mine on and the whole rest of the day CMs were congratulating me on my Ears.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #19
lorimay
DIS Veteran

So many trips with our kids from a very young age.

Now my 2 beautiful grandkids is awesome.

But hands down, Our daughter's 2008 Disney Wedding.
To be able to give her the wedding of her dreams was wonderful.

People still talk about it 5 years later.
To say it was amazing is an understatement.
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #20
MomofIndigo
Mouseketeer

Like everyone else there are so many I will narrow it down though:

-On our 1st anniversary we met some friends for F&W. Dopey is my favorite. While shopping in the Germany pavillion 4 guys ( I was the only woman on the trip) come rushing into the shop pulling me and screaming at me to come here. We turn the corner and there is Dopey. The line was full but one of our friends was a CM and convinced them to let me hug and take a pic w/ my Dopey.

- 1st trip with our DD, she was 2 (one month shy of turning 3). We meet Cinderella and she is just star struck. She is is just pointing at Cinderella. Being the wonderful princess she is, she pointed to her tiara then her eyeshadow and so on. Each time Indigo is moving closer and closer to Cinderella. Finally, we understand it is her red lips. (Mom does not wear lipstick). Well Cinderella gives her a big kiss on the cheek. Indigo runs over to mom and dad and looks at us and tattles on Cinderella "Cinderella got me red.." well that became the statement of the trip and it tickled Cinderella to pieces. She came over and gave her another kiss on the other cheek.

- DD's first hug to a character when she wasnt scared of them. She was three. It was Daisy Duck at EPCOT. She finally goes by herself and comes back jumping up and down "I am not scared anymore Mommy!"
Old 06-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #21
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran

Look on DGS's face (6yrs old) as he asked while explaining "Gram, Did you see what Minnie did? She grabbed me by my shirt, like this, pulled me close, like this, and then Gram she KISSED ME!

This was in Feb. On the Wonder, and was his first cruise.

Thanks Minnie
NFLDERS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:20 PM   #22
Crazie4daMouse
Mouseketeer

My best memory ever was when our family was chosen to dance with Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, Donald, Daisy, Chip, and Dale on the 2nd floor of the train station in 1997 during a show! DD was 6 and DS was 3. It was our 1st trip and it was truly a magical experience! We still talk about it to this day!
Old 06-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #23
Pugsly
Mouseketeer

Three come to mind.

On my son's first trip (he was 9), we were in AK, walking on the path towards Camp Minnie Mickey with no one else on the path (it was early in the morning before the first FoLK show). When who comes walking down the path but Minnie and Mickey - who, when they saw us "ran" to DS and covered him in hugs. It was truly magical.

Fast forward 11 years or so. The MK is where we always spend our last day. We had about 30 minutes or so before we needed to leave. We had ridden everything we wanted, bought as many souvenirs as we could fit into our suitcases. So DS and I just sat on one if the benches and stared at the castle for a long time. DS reached over and held my hand. And we spent the time talking about our favorite parts of the trip.

Last year, I flew solo (DS could not get away from school and my new DH and I had just returned from vacation a few days before and he needed to get back to work). I was meeting friends from England with whom we have traveled to WDW several times. We had not seen them in a few years. I was in HS, walking to our meeting spot, when all of a sudden, up run my friends (literally running) and their girls, all 4 of them wrapping me up in a huge hug. It was a great reunion!

14 trips and counting ...
1978-offsite 1998-POFQ 2000-ASMo 2001-ASMo, CSR 2003-ASMo 2003-Hotel Santa Fe (DLP) 2004-ASMo, WL 2008-Pop 2009-Poly 2011-Hilton Grand Vacation Club 2012-Carribbean Beach 2012-Disney Magic Western Carribbean 2013-Grand Californian 2014-AoA
Pugsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:33 PM   #24
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynis View Post
Every 2 years my father takes all his kids, their spouses and children on a family reunion to Disneyland. About 7 years ago, we weren't sure if we'd be able to make it, as my mother had just had heart surgery (7 bypasses and a stent), and it was touch and go for a while. We ended up being able to go, and on our first night there, we were all (20 people) bunched together on the ground waiting for the MSEP. Mom was in her wheelchair, surrounded by her grandchildren, and I remember her looking at everyone with a huge smile on her face. She said, "This is my idea of heaven!" And it was!

She passed away 3 years later, and we all talk about that moment when we are back in Disneyland. We are going again the first week in June, and our first stop will be at "Grandma's spot", so we can all have a moment to remember her, and how much she loved being in Disneyland with her children and grandchildren! That is my idea of heaven!
God Bless you, and your family. Do a at "Grandma's Spot"
NFLDERS is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: