Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #76
SuperHappyFunTimes
RunDisney Races coming up: Wine & Dine, Glass Slipper Challenge, Tink
 
SuperHappyFunTimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 308

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan4mickey View Post
Is this princess challenge going to be hard to get in? Any chance they will give Perfect Princesses first option?
I'm not sure about the perfect princesses, but I'll bet it sells out pretty quickly. I've got my fingers crossed for pre-registration at Everest next weekend, but if not, my calendar is marked and I'll sign up when it opens.
SuperHappyFunTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #77
kappyfamily
DIS Veteran
 
kappyfamily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,866

Sitting in my hotel room right now the night before the Eugene half marathon. My husband just gave me the final "go for it" on doing not only the glass slipper challenge but the new coast 2 coast challenge! Super excited!
__________________
Avengers Half marathon
2014 Princess Half & Glass Slipper Challenge-Done! Tink 2014-Done! pixie dust: 2012 Disneyland Half Marathon- Done! 2012 Princess Half Marathon - Done!
Rock N Roll Portland- Done!: Seattle 1/2 - Done!: Rock N Roll Arizona - Done!: Heartbreaker 1/2 Portland - Done!: Lincoln City 1/2 - Done! Eugene 1/2 - Done! Vancouver USA 1/2- Done! Foot Traffic Flat 1/2 Oregon - Done! Oregon Wine Country 1/2 - Done! The Oregon 1/2 - Done! Portland 1/2 Marathon - Done! Rock N Roll Vegas - Done! Portland Holiday Half - Done!

Going for finishing 45 half marathons by 45!

--Dig Deep

Me , DH , DS19 , DD12
kappyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #78
Cripey
DIS Veteran
 
Cripey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 1,628

Hi! I think I'm in for this....just when I said I wouldn't be doing another Princess anytime soon. . The glass slipper got me...and I was planning on Tink anyway so I'm THRILLED to ad that pink C2C to the collection. I'm sure like always I'll start to freak out once I hit that final submit button at registration. This will be a first for me with the back to back race days.
__________________
-Summer -DBF -Crybaby -Penelope

Cripey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #79
kappyfamily
DIS Veteran
 
kappyfamily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
Hi! I think I'm in for this....just when I said I wouldn't be doing another Princess anytime soon. . The glass slipper got me...and I was planning on Tink anyway so I'm THRILLED to ad that pink C2C to the collection. I'm sure like always I'll start to freak out once I hit that final submit button at registration. This will be a first for me with the back to back race days.
Everything you said just summed up what I'm thinking!
__________________
Avengers Half marathon
2014 Princess Half & Glass Slipper Challenge-Done! Tink 2014-Done! pixie dust: 2012 Disneyland Half Marathon- Done! 2012 Princess Half Marathon - Done!
Rock N Roll Portland- Done!: Seattle 1/2 - Done!: Rock N Roll Arizona - Done!: Heartbreaker 1/2 Portland - Done!: Lincoln City 1/2 - Done! Eugene 1/2 - Done! Vancouver USA 1/2- Done! Foot Traffic Flat 1/2 Oregon - Done! Oregon Wine Country 1/2 - Done! The Oregon 1/2 - Done! Portland 1/2 Marathon - Done! Rock N Roll Vegas - Done! Portland Holiday Half - Done!

Going for finishing 45 half marathons by 45!

--Dig Deep

Me , DH , DS19 , DD12
kappyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #80
dewingedpixie
Mouseketeer
 
dewingedpixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista311 View Post
ohhh, don't give me any ideas! haha
That's what I'm doing LOL.

I'm running Tink.

Running DPH

Then I'm getting married on 2/24/14 at Disney World!
__________________
Pi}{ie

dewingedpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:23 PM   #81
longhorns2
DIS Veteran
 
longhorns2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin-ish, TX
Posts: 1,877

Called rundisney this morning. Some small updates in my blog.
__________________
Patty, aka Mommy to DS 1 DS 2 DD 1 DS 3 and DD 2

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #82
SAHDad
DIS Veteran
 
SAHDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,215

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista311 View Post
Oh, I am so excited!!

I haven't done a Disney race in years. Really missing it...was thinking of doing the marathon weekend races, but it didn't seem to work out with the whole wedding/honeymoon plans...

But this works out much better! And I'm a totally glass slipper kinda gal

And as the whole women/men thing....I think it's great that there are events that get those out there that normally wouldn't, and I'm a sucker for anything girly/pink. But....I totally understand why the men are frustrated with the corrals, too. I'm not fast enough to be competitive to win any ag awards or anything like that, but trying to get faster and hit my goal times is what keeps running fun and interesting to me...so I guess I'm a wanna-be competitive runner Based on the times for the corrals, I would be pretty upset if I was seeded in c, as it would be tough be able to run my own race. I would also imagine if I was a c runner, it wouldn't be much fun having a stampede of guys run past me running me at a much faster pace, either. It's kinda a lose-lose situation.

I personally think my idea of giving the elite runners (like the 1:30 or faster runners...the ones who actually would win the race), a 15 minute or so head start, ensuring a woman is the first person to cross the finish, is brilliant. Then you can seed runners by ability regardless of gender, so everyone can run their own race, safely. Problem solved!

My two cents
The corralling issue is the main reason that I won't be doing the Tink or Princess anytime soon. It's just too dangerous to deal with such a massive disparity of paces - I mean, putting anyone who can run a 1:45 in the same corral as a 2:44 pace? Really? (The other reason is that, anecdotally, I have heard that the women get progressively less friendly to male runners that farther up the pack you go.)

I have wondered why Disney does not just shunt men off to a secondary chute until the first woman has crossed the official finish line (with banner & confetti), and then close off the secondary at that point. Men already don't get awards, so it's not as though our times really matter to anyone other than ourselves.

I like that they added a 10k, and, given the general theming of the weekend, it really doesn't bug me much.
__________________
One of the MouseQuest podcast gang! Find it on iTunes.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
SAHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #83
dewingedpixie
Mouseketeer
 
dewingedpixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDad View Post
The corralling issue is the main reason that I won't be doing the Tink or Princess anytime soon. It's just too dangerous to deal with such a massive disparity of paces - I mean, putting anyone who can run a 1:45 in the same corral as a 2:44 pace? Really? (The other reason is that, anecdotally, I have heard that the women get progressively less friendly to male runners that farther up the pack you go.)

I have wondered why Disney does not just shunt men off to a secondary chute until the first woman has crossed the official finish line (with banner & confetti), and then close off the secondary at that point. Men already don't get awards, so it's not as though our times really matter to anyone other than ourselves.

I like that they added a 10k, and, given the general theming of the weekend, it really doesn't bug me much.
Its anyone <2:15 but I agree. I'm hoping they open a <2:00 corral this year for the ladies.

Nike segregates off the men, as does zooma, and diva doesn't even allow men. A lot of this is because they are women oriented races they want to ensure a woman will win, and to hype the girl power theme. Running used to be mostly a man's sport. Its races like this that have allowed many women to feel comfortable and come into the sport. I see why its done. I've run many many races and I wont lie as a woman the woman's races are very dear to my heart. I really like the vibe at them its very inclusive and wonderful. You don't get that at a 70.3 half iron you're on your own to get your *** to the line. That's all fine and dandy because I can get it done. However there is something special in celebrating women's athletic which were for so long discouraged, and so many women find intimidating. You can be feminine and strong. I really like that someone has made exercise inclusive of the ladies. So many of my friends never would have started without these types of races. I am happy they were there to include them making them love the sport.
__________________
Pi}{ie

dewingedpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #84
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher
 
roomthreeseventeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 8,041

I know people will disagree with me, but yes, because of the corral situation, I wish Disney would just say, "No men, please."
__________________
Amy, Patrick, Cosette and Herbie
Many trips as a kid! 2010 GF RPC (March) and AKL/BWI (Oct)
2012
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #85
SAHDad
DIS Veteran
 
SAHDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,215

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewingedpixie View Post
Its anyone <2:15 but I agree. I'm hoping they open a <2:00 corral this year for the ladies.

Nike segregates off the men, as does zooma, and diva doesn't even allow men. A lot of this is because they are women oriented races they want to ensure a woman will win, and to hype the girl power theme. Running used to be mostly a man's sport. Its races like this that have allowed many women to feel comfortable and come into the sport. I see why its done. I've run many many races and I wont lie as a woman the woman's races are very dear to my heart. I really like the vibe at them its very inclusive and wonderful. You don't get that at a 70.3 half iron you're on your own to get your *** to the line. That's all fine and dandy because I can get it done. However there is something special in celebrating women's athletic which were for so long discouraged, and so many women find intimidating. You can be feminine and strong. I really like that someone has made exercise inclusive of the ladies. So many of my friends never would have started without these types of races. I am happy they were there to include them making them love the sport.
OKay, for this year, corral C was2:45, IIRC. If they change it, they may still find that men have to be moved back another corral or two - a half is enough time that a fast man can start 14 minutes back, and make it up and win it. (He would have to be very fast, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility.)

The problem that I am having is that I have to explain to DS, who is 9, why women-only races are ok. I can start with women being excluded from distance running, until Switzer ran Boston in 1967. I can say that Boston prevented women from running until 1972. He points out (correctly) that both events happened before I was born, let alone him. I can point to Benoit-Samuelson winning the 1984 Olympic Women's marathon, and talk about Title IX*, and he points out that it, too, is older than I am. He doesn't see the point, and considers the whole thing to be terribly unfair, and, to be frank, I can see his perspective. The fact that his youngest sister has picked up on it does not help - as she says, I can do anything that you can, and other stuff too - because I am a girl and you are not.

* True story - a local running store decided to celebrate equality in sports by having a women-only half marathon. Women truly have gone from exclusion to exclusivity. . . . and here I thought that the goal was equality.

I like Disney adding more races. My bank account hates it, but I like it. I just wish Disney would take a more egalitarian view, but they are following the money. Women's races sell well. (The same people who pressed for women-only events a decade ago, because women were under-represented, are now pushing for more women-only events, because women are so well represented.)
__________________
One of the MouseQuest podcast gang! Find it on iTunes.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
SAHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #86
dewingedpixie
Mouseketeer
 
dewingedpixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDad View Post
OKay, for this year, corral C was2:45, IIRC. If they change it, they may still find that men have to be moved back another corral or two - a half is enough time that a fast man can start 14 minutes back, and make it up and win it. (He would have to be very fast, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility.)

The problem that I am having is that I have to explain to DS, who is 9, why women-only races are ok. I can start with women being excluded from distance running, until Switzer ran Boston in 1967. I can say that Boston prevented women from running until 1972. He points out (correctly) that both events happened before I was born, let alone him. I can point to Benoit-Samuelson winning the 1984 Olympic Women's marathon, and talk about Title IX*, and he points out that it, too, is older than I am. He doesn't see the point, and considers the whole thing to be terribly unfair, and, to be frank, I can see his perspective. The fact that his youngest sister has picked up on it does not help - as she says, I can do anything that you can, and other stuff too - because I am a girl and you are not.

* True story - a local running store decided to celebrate equality in sports by having a women-only half marathon. Women truly have gone from exclusion to exclusivity. . . . and here I thought that the goal was equality.

I like Disney adding more races. My bank account hates it, but I like it. I just wish Disney would take a more egalitarian view, but they are following the money. Women's races sell well. (The same people who pressed for women-only events a decade ago, because women were under-represented, are now pushing for more women-only events, because women are so well represented.)
Oh I agree it is a selling point. The women's races no offense are often also more fun than the men's ones. Why? Because they know it sells and women will do it. However I do know many women as stated that would not run were it not for these women's races to start them out. I'm an avid runner but I do love a good women's race there is a vibe you just don't get anywhere else. I just did Nike DC yesterday and the inclusiveness of making each runner's achievement special was there and that is what sells these races more than anything. The celebration that you are fabulous because you're doing this as an individual. These races really tailor to that market and celebrating your personal achievement asking why are you doing this, what are you celebrating etc. Women really buy into that, and I think that more races that are not just women centered should sell this theme because men would buy it too given the chance. However men's sports really want to sell the sport of the sport and don't think about I can sell this is fun. I think a star wars race or pirates race would go over excellent. They'd also get a lot of men on the couch off of it running and realizing they don't have to be Mr. Universe to run and have fun. Hell I'd run both myself even if I got beaten by a ton of guys!
__________________
Pi}{ie

dewingedpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #87
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 47,107

Quote:
A lot of this is because they are women oriented races they want to ensure a woman will win, and to hype the girl power theme.
For me, forcing men to the back is as far FROM girl power as you can get. What they are saying is "we have to put them men all the way back, cause them to trip over everything else, so there's a chance for a woman to win." And worse, they are DOING it.

And the fact of the matter is that a man is almost certain to win if it's a straight competition. There's nothing sexist in saying that most men can get bigger and stronger and even faster than most women. There's also nothing sexist in saying that a person born with uterus, ovaries, and a working endocrine system is far more likely to have a baby than a person born with the other bits and pieces. It is what it is.

And to push men to the back just to ensure that a woman will will is very very close to being disgusting to me. I couldn't take part in that.

In fact, being new to the running thing, it seems the antithesis of RUNNING. From everything I've read, from all the inspirational essays and blogs I've read, modern running is inclusive, is supportive, is happy. We're all mainly racing ourselves anyway, at the end of the day. But to exclude a group from being able to win? That's not inclusive or supportive.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDad View Post
The problem that I am having is that I have to explain to DS, who is 9, why women-only races are ok. ....

Women truly have gone from exclusion to exclusivity. . . . and here I thought that the goal was equality.
I'm with you.

I have 3 brothers and a husband and a son, and I cannot stand this turn of events and really wish I didn't know about it. I can be as good as I can be, and it doesn't bother me in the slightest if my brothers will ALWAYS be faster than me (well, I might beat out the middle one, since he smokes and is damaging his lungs), even if only because one has never stopped running while I did, and the other two are 6'3" with long long legs compared to my shrimpy legs and 5'3" body. My half-sis will also always be faster than me, since she's 25 years younger than me! But it's all OK, because I'm running against myself and have no need to skew the results by not allowing certain people to enter or have a good position.
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #88
SAHDad
DIS Veteran
 
SAHDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,215

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewingedpixie View Post
Oh I agree it is a selling point. The women's races no offense are often also more fun than the men's ones. Why? Because they know it sells and women will do it. However I do know many women as stated that would not run were it not for these women's races to start them out. I'm an avid runner but I do love a good women's race there is a vibe you just don't get anywhere else. I just did Nike DC yesterday and the inclusiveness of making each runner's achievement special was there and that is what sells these races more than anything. The celebration that you are fabulous because you're doing this as an individual. These races really tailor to that market and celebrating your personal achievement asking why are you doing this, what are you celebrating etc. Women really buy into that, and I think that more races that are not just women centered should sell this theme because men would buy it too given the chance. However men's sports really want to sell the sport of the sport and don't think about I can sell this is fun. I think a star wars race or pirates race would go over excellent. They'd also get a lot of men on the couch off of it running and realizing they don't have to be Mr. Universe to run and have fun. Hell I'd run both myself even if I got beaten by a ton of guys!
Yes, but because women's races sell well, and have the "fun vibe", I suspect that, if there is a Star Wars race, it will be women-centered.
__________________
One of the MouseQuest podcast gang! Find it on iTunes.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
SAHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #89
dewingedpixie
Mouseketeer
 
dewingedpixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post

And the fact of the matter is that a man is almost certain to win if it's a straight competition. There's nothing sexist in saying that most men can get bigger and stronger and even faster than most women. There's also nothing sexist in saying that a person born with uterus, ovaries, and a working endocrine system is far more likely to have a baby than a person born with the other bits and pieces. It is what it is.
Most of the time men will win, but there is something you dont know about the difference between men and women. Men are sprinters by nature, women are built for endurance. Men are taller typically with higher muscle mass this makes them innately faster. The man's job was to do the final kill, the woman's to run the prey to exhuastion. A women's extra fat and the tilt of their hips makes them quicker at recovery. This is why as the courses get longer this difference in time per mile gets smaller between men and women. It is also a fact that women recover from endurance races faster than men. So if you say had an ultra event with 5 fifty milers back to back on the 5th day you could probably have a woman win over a man fair and square simply because at this distance the time difference is much lower than in a 10 miler, and the woman would have a much larger advantage over the man in recovery. This is why in ultra events you see much smaller gaps between men and women finishers than in marathons. I truly believe as these sports grow you will see a woman over take a man in ultras, and eventually that may even become a place where you can and will see it become an equal competition between endurance and speed. I dont know how soon that will be but I do think we will see it.
__________________
Pi}{ie

dewingedpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #90
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher
 
roomthreeseventeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 8,041

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewingedpixie View Post
This is why as the courses get longer this difference in time per mile gets smaller between men and women. It is also a fact that women recover from endurance races faster than men.
This doesn't hold out by facts.

For example, the pace difference between men and women in the world record 5k is 29 seconds, but for the half it's 35 seconds/mile. By the time you get to the marathon, it's 27 seconds, but by the time you get to 50k, it's back up to 45 seconds.
__________________
Amy, Patrick, Cosette and Herbie
Many trips as a kid! 2010 GF RPC (March) and AKL/BWI (Oct)
2012
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: