Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2013, 10:31 AM   #2791
jabead
DIS Veteran

And our last update from Thursday is a great one from Ellen's anniversary dinner from the Grand Californian's...

Napa Rose

Ellen said, "We did the Chef's Counter on Thursday night (Aug. 22nd). Unfortunately, Andrew Sutton was not in attendance. In the future, if I ever dined here again, I would make sure he was cooking. Not that anything was miscooked or bad, just that for that much $$$, I want perfection in service and timing, and at the chef's counter maybe something special, or off-menu, too. Really what we had was small portions of many of the menu items. I can't really say there was anything I said "WOW, never had THAT before". And that was why I was disappointed, I guess. I was looking for "WOW" and I got "that's nice"."

"I made it VERY clear what we liked when the sous-chef asked our preferences - that we ate EVERYTHING, were foodies, and that I really loved truffles if he could throw in some of those somewhere."

First some menu pics...

"We ordered cocktails - I ordered the signature drink, and Pods got a grey goose."

"The olive bread was delicious!"

"An amuse bouche came of shrimp, immediately followed by our 1st course."

Ellen's 1st Course - Tangerine Lobster and Tempura Fried Avocado with Local Cherry Tomatoes and Lime Tabiko Caviar

Pod's 1st Course - "Smiling Tiger Salad" with Tempura Fried Lobster and Asian Greens with Coconut-Lime Vinaigrette

"We were doing the wine pairing. SO. We had shrimp and water, followed by lobster and water. We got the attention of the sous chef who was filling in for the chef, and asked him if we could have our wine pairing please and oh yeah, please cancel those cocktails. Insert roll of eyes."

"Sorry. Once the ball got rolling, everything tasted very good, and we certainly left stuffed to the gills, but we were looking for a total experience, and although they were very apologetic, and very nice, we left kind of sad. I would go back, but if Andrew Sutton was not in the house, I would just order off the menu and save some $$$."

"Next I had the scallop - I have to say, this was the first time i have ever had vanilla in a savory dish where I have enjoyed it. Usually it tastes too much like cake batter or something. But this was delicious."

Pan-Roasted Diver Scallop with a Sauce of Lobster and Lemon Accented with Vanilla

"Pods had the fish with the octopus, also really good."

Lemon Verbena Grilled Fish of the Day with Tender Spanish Octopus

"See, now i feel like a ***** because I said the meal didn't wow me! It all was very good, it was just not WOW - do you know what I mean? I wish they would have given us something more adventurous, something less safe."

"Next was the duck breast for me, it was a nice portion, and the mushroom risotto for Pods."

Roasted Maple Leaf Duck Breast with Fennel-Honey Puree, Pistachios, Baby Portabellas and Local Cherries

Morel Mushroom Risotto Accented with Imported Truffle Butter

"LOL- you must think I am CRAZY!!! Octopus and duck breast not adventurous enough, - but I wanted the pigeon, or something I couldn't guess, like I had been reading so many other people had had when they were sitting in my seat. THAT was the problem. If I had not read so much, I would have just been happy with a very nice meal - the bar was set waaaay tooo high for me."

"Then we both were given the mushroom cappuccino, which was nice."

"Then I had the lamb porterhouse and Pods had filet the - maybe this was off menu, because the preparations for steak I see are not exactly this."

"They also brought us truffle mac and cheese (because I had mentioned liking truffles)."

"For dessert, they offered us a champagne or a port (I was VERY happy to have a Veuve Cliquot), Pods had a port which was actually a tawny port."

"We chose our own desserts - I had Warm Dark Chocolate Truffle Cake - Baileys Coffee Ice Cream and Toasted Orange Essence. mostly because i wanted to try the ice cream!"

"Pods had Brooks Cherry Almond Pecan Cake - Mascarpone Brown Sugar Sour Cream Ice Cream and Port-Cherry Sauce - because one of the line cooks had told us this was the last day for it, and it was delicious- which it was!"

"Again - I am so sorry if it sounds like I am bad-mouthing this restaurant. I really don't mean to be, it was a beautiful meal. I just wish I had not gone in with the expectation of having something I had never tried before."

5 August Game Points Earned + 3 Bonus Points for menu pics

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

List of DISers with Upcoming Trips - and - Aug./Sept. Game - and - June/July Game

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan

Last edited by jabead; 09-01-2013 at 08:33 AM.
jabead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:32 AM   #2792
jabead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettegirl View Post
I am going Sept 24-29. Will be once again reporting to you the soft opening if the F&W Festival like last year. Can't wait.

Excellent...that's great news Lori!

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

List of DISers with Upcoming Trips - and - Aug./Sept. Game - and - June/July Game

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-31-2013, 10:40 AM   #2793
JintyB
Mouseketeer

Just checking in to say I'm back in the UK We had an amazing time and I'm already enjoying looking back through photos at all the things we got up to

I have three weeks of this thread to catch up on, so am looking forward to reading it with a cup of tea

Thanks to Barb (and Rachel) for all you do to keep this thread going. It makes me feel closer to the magic

Jeanette
JintyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:14 PM   #2794
smile4stamps
DIS Veteran

Location: Still in CA for work but my home and heart is in Colorado!

Ellen.. I completely agree with reading too much and then it falling short! This is what happened with us at V&A's Chef Table.. I was just expecting some extras cause we were at the Chef's Table and they never materialized.. The meal was excellent.. I was just expecting something more.. Especially for those prices!
smile4stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #2795
jabead
DIS Veteran

Now for our First Update of the Day from yesterday, sent to us by Chavaleh.

Polynesian Private Dining

She said, "Last night we ordered room service because Kona was a one hour wait and the sushi bar was also quite crowded. We got a volcano roll, shrimp tempura roll, lava roll, nigiri and plum wine."

5 August Game Points Earned + 1 Bonus Points for First Update of the Day

Old 08-31-2013, 01:46 PM   #2796
jabead
DIS Veteran

Then for breakfast yesterday morning, Chavaleh & her DH dined at the Polynesian's...

She said, "We ordered a press pot and I got the macadamia and pineapple pancakes and Thomas got the Tonga toast."

"I was defeated at slightly over one pancake...

...but Thomas downed all of his."

2 August Game Point Earned + 4 Bonus Points for sign, menu, misc. pic, and "Clean Plate" Club for Thomas

Old 08-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #2797
jabead
DIS Veteran

Then Chavaleh's last update from yesterday was sent from a private cabana on the Polynesian beach.

Pina Coladas

Cabana Fruit Platter

1 August Game Point Earned

Old 08-31-2013, 02:47 PM   #2798
JintyB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw50 View Post
[/CENTER]
[/B]
We also ate at BOG that night (we even got seated about 15 mins before our ADR time) but we had excellent service and even thought that the food was surprising good considering how many reviews have been less than stellar. Granted it was not to the level of the Signatures but very good for a 1 TS restaurant. Poor service seems to be a common thread of most bad reviews.

We were also in the West Wing and I can understand that it would be irritating to have so many people coming by to take pics if you were seated near the rose. Luckily we were seated almost as far away from the rose as you can get.
Sorry, I'm just getting caught up with the thread as we are only just home. In essence this didn't live up to our (high) expectations and I agree with you that service was more of a factor than the food.

We've all talked about this meal since and whilst it didn't live up to our expectations in terms of service, we do have fantastic memories (and photos) of our friend who just couldn't get his camera out in time to catch the Beast when he popped in and waved to the room. As this happened three times it just kept getting funnier

Jeanette
Old 08-31-2013, 03:42 PM   #2799
BlovesC
home is where the Yeti is!
When the ride attendants ask me to tug on the yellow strap on my seatbelt, I never do it. I just stare at them in defiance

Location: Originally Jersey Shore, now Central FL (hopefully not for much longer)

Ahhhh, those sushi pictures from the Poly make me so hungry!
BlovesC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:56 PM   #2800
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

So I have always wanted to stay at the Poly but know that you can get sushi and Lapu Lapu's on room service .... I REALLY want to stay at the Poly!
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:05 PM   #2801
Chavaleh
Mouseketeer

Neither were on the room service menu, we just called and asked. It was so nice but omgexpensive.... much like the rest of the trip but I keep reminding Thomas that it's our first week away alone together since we got married 20 years ago so we're due a splurge. Now I just have to tell the kids they'll be living on beans and ramen for the rest of the year. ;-)
Chavaleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:13 PM   #2802
JintyB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
So I have always wanted to stay at the Poly but know that you can get sushi and Lapu Lapu's on room service .... I REALLY want to stay at the Poly!
I'm sure they could whip one up for you in a Wetherspoon's?
Old 08-31-2013, 05:48 PM   #2803
OThopeful35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavaleh View Post
Neither were on the room service menu, we just called and asked. It was so nice but omgexpensive.... much like the rest of the trip but I keep reminding Thomas that it's our first week away alone together since we got married 20 years ago so we're due a splurge. Now I just have to tell the kids they'll be living on beans and ramen for the rest of the year. ;-)

POR~Aug 2010 (1st visit) POFQ Aug 2011 POP/POFQ Aug 2013
OThopeful35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:16 PM   #2804
jabead
DIS Veteran

Now for some more updates sent yesterday, starting with one from Jeanette (JintyB).

She said, "We met our friends in the evening and tried to eat at..."

"But there was a two hour wait. So we walked across to..."

"And..."

"And caught a bit of Illuminations - Reflections of Earth on the way."

Menu

"We shared appetisers:"

Jalepeno spinach cheese dip

Guacamole and chips

Veggie Quesidilla

Chicken Nachos

"These were all good but were massive - we could have all left happy after these alone."

"However, as if by magic, entrees arrived:"

"Shrimp and Scallop Penne Pasta - it completely disappeared so I'm guessing it was good!"

Mushroom Swiss Burger (with extra mushroom and veg and no burger!)

Hickory Bacon Burger

Big Brew Cheeseburger

"These photos are deceptive as these were the biggest plates of food ever! So, we forced down what we could - the burgers were delicious and the chips really fresh so we all felt bad about leaving so much food on the plate. Is this a British thing?"

"Of course, that didn't stop us ordering dessert, although we just ordered two between seven of us."

And for dessert...

Chocolate confusion

New York Cheesecake

"I would eat here again, food and service were excellent, but would make sure I arrived really hungry or share entrees."

5 August Game Points Earned + 5 Bonus Points for signs, menu, and misc. pics

Old 08-31-2013, 09:30 PM   #2805
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile4stamps View Post
Ellen.. I completely agree with reading too much and then it falling short! This is what happened with us at V&A's Chef Table.. I was just expecting some extras cause we were at the Chef's Table and they never materialized.. The meal was excellent.. I was just expecting something more.. Especially for those prices!
Thank you for saying that (although I am sorry you had a similar experience at V&A's)....It made me feel much better- I hated to sound like a rag over something that was cooked very, VERY well in every way- a bar set too high is never a good thing -or maybe, rarely, an OK thing.

Last edited by podsnel; 08-31-2013 at 09:44 PM.
podsnel is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: