Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #1501
jabead
DIS Veteran

Next we have Wendydagny's update from their lunch yesterday at DHS'...

Wendy said, "We had the Fantasmic! package but actually had managed to see the show the night before. We were outside the cancellation window though, so we kept it even though I was very nervous about hating this."

"The kids had Minestrone Soup for their appetizer..."

"They loved this."

Crispy Calamari topped with grilled peppers and onions, served with dipping sauces

"DH had calamari, which was great quality. They loved the dipping sauce variety."

And Wendy had...

Fresh Mozzarella and Vine-ripened Tomatoes with marinated sweet onions, balsamic drizzle, basil-scented olive oil and fresh sweet basil

"Very nice flavors. DS said it was awesome."

Then for her entree, Wendy had...

Chicken Penne alla Vodka with Pancetta and Sweet Onions finished with Tomato-Basil Sauce, Cream, Vodka, and Pecorino Romano

"Very, very good."

Her DH chose...

Chicken Campanelle - wood-grilled chicken over Campanelle pasta tossed with four-cheese sauce with broccoflower, sun-dried tomatoes, fresh spinach and sweet onions

"Very rich, but delicious. Huge portions!!"

"DS had the Kids Spaghetti & Meatballs (already cut up). He cleaned his plate."

"DD had the Kids Cheese Flatbread. Much better than yesterday."

"Both kids had the cupcake for dessert..."

Spaghetti and Meatball Cupcake - a chocolate cupcake with "spaghetti" frosting and a chocolate "meatball" with a strawberry "marinara sauce" and white chocolate "cheese"

"DH and I got choose desserts. No platter."

Her DH's choice: Chocolate Cannoli Cake - Chocolate Cake filled with Cannoli filling topped with Nutella Ganache and served with a Chianti red wine sauce

"He would have preferred plain old cannoli."

Wendy's choice: Spumoni Gelato

"Delicious and very creamy."

"We absolutely loved this meal!!!"

3 July Game Points Earned + 2 Bonus Points for name/menu pic

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

List of DISers with Upcoming Trips - and - Aug./Sept. Game - and - June/July Game

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan
jabead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #1502
jabead
DIS Veteran

Our next update was sent to us by keypooh90 from their lunch today at...

She said, "I had the fish on a bun sandwich with cucumber and onion salad. This was delicious and is one of my favorite meals on property. The fish was very fresh and juicy."

"My mom had the Reuben with cucumber and onion salad. She said "This is my second favorite Reuben on property. It is delicious!"

"My sister had the hot dog (no chili) with a side of fries. She said "The hot dog was huge, tasty, and filling!"

"Our second snack today was at the glaces shop in France."

"My sister had the salted caramel ice cream in a cup. She said "the ice cream is very creamy but the salt taste is too heavy."

"My mom and I shared the adult version: cherry and chocolate ice cream with epic whipped vodka. The flavors worked well together and the bottom was very strong: pure vodka!"

6 July Game Points Earned + 5 Bonus Points for ESPN sign, ice cream menu, pics of DSis and keypooh

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

List of DISers with Upcoming Trips - and - Aug./Sept. Game - and - June/July Game

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #1503
jabead
DIS Veteran

And now we have an update from DonaldDoleWhip.

He said, "We're finally here! And for the first time ever, I got a decent pic of the Welcome Gate."

"Before heading to CR, we stopped at Yacht Club for breakfast."

"I've always loved the globe in the lobby. David, the greeter, told me that this is what people thought the world looked like in 1651! It's amazing how accurate cartographers could be back then."

"Breakfast was at Captain's Grille, but first, I rushed over to the International Gateway to renew my annual pass. Here are my pics from the walk."

Yacht Club Hallway

"I've never requested any particular characters or designs on my ticket, so this time I lucked out with Donald!"

"Then it was back to Captain's Grille for breakfast!"

Breakfast menu

"In spite of the other tempting options, we both went for the buffet. I took pictures of some of the more interesting buffet items."

"The smoked salmon accompaniments are excellent."

Baked Tomato Gratin and Warm Bread Pudding

Egg Whites with Spinach, Onion, and Tomato

Mickey Waffles...

with Mickey Butter

And lots of sugary toppings:

"I don't know what's in the Frittata of the Day, but it looked very cheesy."

"The roasted potatoes are topped with herb butter and caramelized onions. A chef told me that these are going to be replaced with a casserole-style potato dish in September."

"My first plate had smoked salmon with accompaniments (capers, onion, and a lemon wedge), hard boiled eggs, tomato gratin, watermelon, grapefruit, and the egg white dish. For me, this was an absolutely perfect breakfast. The fruit tasted fresh, the salmon was excellent with the briny capers, and I enjoyed the garlicky flavor of the egg whites."

"I actually got a second plate of food that was almost exactly the same! (The only difference is the fresh tomato, instead of tomato gratin.)"

"Two more photos from Captain's Grille. I love the nautical vibe here."

"The current price of the buffet is $18.99 per adult before tax. Quite reasonable for a Disney TS buffet. Also, since today is a holiday, TIW isn't valid. Not a problem, but I'm glad our TS meal for the day was a relatively inexpensive one!"

3 July Game Points Earned + 13 Bonus Points for sign, menu, buffet pics, and misc. other pics

Last edited by jabead; 07-04-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #1504
lisatav
Mouseketeer

Hi Barb, I sent you three emails today. Let me know if you got them or I'll resend. My phone has been all kinds of crazy today. Thanks!

Our Vacation Video- July 2013- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnZb5ySFhB8
My WDW trips
1993, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1998, & 2002- OFF
Dec. 02/Jan 03- All Star Sports
April 2007- Coronado Springs
Feb 2009 – OFF (Royal Plaza)
Aug 2009- POFQ
Jan. 2010- Pop Century
Jan 2012- Pop
Dec 12/Jan 13- Pop
July 2013-POR-Royal Room
Oct. 2013- OFF, MK + EP
Oct 2014- All-Star Movies

Last edited by lisatav; 07-04-2013 at 10:47 PM.
lisatav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #1505
jabead
DIS Veteran

Also dining at the Yacht Club were Wendydagny & family when they had dinner last night at...

"The kids had the Chicken Soup as an appetizer..."

"Both said it was good but DD complained about the appetizers being the same everywhere."

"DH had the Shrimp Cocktail..."

Shrimp Cocktail - fennel, chervil, Meyer lemon gel, house cocktail sauce

"He said it was the best he'd ever had."

"I had the cheese plate...

"This was kind of miss. Two of the cheeses were very stinky, and one was so hard it was difficult to get bites off to eat. Accompaniments were ok, but mushroom stuff was weird."

"For entrees, DS had Kids Mac and Cheese, which was great."

"DD had Kids Beef Skewers, which she said was just ok."

Kids Beef Skewers with Mashed Potatoes and Vegetables

"She only ate like half of her food."

8-oz Center Cut Filet Mignon with Mashed Potatoes, and Cabernet Wine Sauce

"I had the filet. It was good but not as good as steaks earlier in the week at all."

"I had asked to sub the Mac 'n cheese as my side but the waiter misunderstood and brought it in addition, as subs aren't allowed any more."

Truffle Mac & Cheese - Orecchiette Pasta and Reypenaer Cheese

"The taste of this was overpowering truffle flavor, I couldn't eat much of it."

28-oz Porterhouse with roasted garlic butter

"DH had the Porterhouse, which he liked and ate most of. He subbed the potato gratin for his side but said mine were better."

"For dessert, both kids had Mickey puzzles...

"I had the Peanut Butter Pretzel Cake..."

Peanut Butter and Pretzel Gianduja Cake with Salted Caramel Gelato and Liquid Ganache

"The cake was just ok, but the salted caramel gelato and peanut dust stuff under it was to die for."

"DH had the Lemon Blueberry dessert..."

Lemon and Blueberry with Meyer Lemon Curd, Graham Cracker, and Meringue

"He loved this. I personally preferred the old version with the cake and blueberry shooter."

3 July Game Points Earned + 1 Bonus Point for sign pic

Last edited by jabead; 07-04-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:40 PM   #1506
jabead
DIS Veteran

That's about the halfway point of the 25 or so updates we have received today. So be sure to check back tomorrow for the rest.

Good night everyone!

Old 07-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #1507
catho72
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone!

My name is Cathy and I'm a July reporter! We will be at BC 7/13-7/22 and I'm thrilled to be a part of this thread.

Traveling with me is my DH and our three kids...DD13, DS12 and DD10. This is our 7th trip in the past 6 years.

We have many fabulous reservations planned for our trip including a Wishes Dessert Party. I can't wait to share our trip with you all!

Before we arrive, I have lots of before we 18 hours straight thru from Chicago. When we arrive, I will be in desperate need of a and a

See you next week live from WDW!

2/02 Holiday Inn (now Nick Hotel) 2/08 POR 9/08 POR 6/09 Regal Sun/Windsor Hills 7/10 Windsor Hills 7/11 Windsor Hills/AKL/BLT 7/12 Beach Club/AKL 7/13 BC CL 2/14 POP/SSR for PHM weekend 6/14 POR/BC CL/AoA split stay

catho72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:22 AM   #1508
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Some great updates today
Love the look of the lemon dessert at YSH
Love the look of Mr DDW's AP as well
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #1509
dreamangelx
Earning My Ears

Just sent my report! Ate @ the fountain @ the Dolphin last night.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #1510
YCFAN

Have you seen my tag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catho72 View Post
Hi everyone!

My name is Cathy and I'm a July reporter! We will be at BC 7/13-7/22 and I'm thrilled to be a part of this thread.

Traveling with me is my DH and our three kids...DD13, DS12 and DD10. This is our 7th trip in the past 6 years.

We have many fabulous reservations planned for our trip including a Wishes Dessert Party. I can't wait to share our trip with you all!

Before we arrive, I have lots of before we 18 hours straight thru from Chicago. When we arrive, I will be in desperate need of a and a

See you next week live from WDW!
Looking forward to it Cathy!!
Old 07-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #1511
jabead
DIS Veteran

Let's begin today by checking in with DonaldDoleWhip following his breakfast yesterday at the Captain's Grille.

He said, "From the Yacht Club, we got back on the road and headed to the MK Resort Area."

"Soon enough, we could see CR in the distance!"

"When we arrived, the lobby was extremely busy. Today was a great day to be staying Club Level, so we could bypass the crowds and head straight to the Atrium Club!"

"Once we got upstairs, I immediately began taking pictures of the lounge."

"The view from the lounge is awesome!"

Food and beverage offerings:

"I tried the whole wheat chocolate chip cookie and really enjoyed it. I ended up having two more!"

5 July Game Points Earned + 5 Bonus Points for Lounge and Misc. pics

Last edited by jabead; 07-05-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #1512
jabead
DIS Veteran

Continuing with DonaldDoleWhip's update from the Contemporary Resort.

"We didn't have to wait at all for our room - we're in room 4848. It's all the way at the northern end of the building, as close to MK as possible."

"The rooms here have recently received a light refurbishment - I love the updates."

"We had a towel elephant waiting in our room when we arrived."

"My mom thanked our mousekeeper, Benny, for making it. A while later, she presented us with a second towel animal! My mom wants to keep both - they're adorable."

"Club level has been a pleasure so far - the staff is so friendly. In addition to the magic from Benny, we had a great conversation with Mary from Brooklyn."

"As for our view, it's wonderful."

"New Fantasyland!"

"Monorail Teal is all decked out for Monsters University."

Panoramic view:

Grand Floridian

"To be honest, I'm not a fan of the new DVC building. It looks oddly isolated from the rest of the resort, it overshadows the nearby Wedding Pavilion, and it's the reason why we lost a beautiful stretch of beach. Some DVC additions (VWL and BCV) blend in really well, but I'm skeptical about this one."

"Here are a few extra photos from CR."

Grand Canyon Concourse

Chef Mickey's

Contempo Cafe

"Wilderness Lodge, with Spaceship Earth, Swan, Dolphin, and Tower of Terror in the background."

Bay Lake Tower

Carpet design in the hallways:

"You know you're Disney-obsessed when you see three abstract circles and think it's a Hidden Mickey."

"Bonus pictures: a while ago, I turned away from my computer for a second and noticed a flash flood."

"A few seconds later, it had stopped completely. I guess that's Florida weather!"

10 Bonus Points for Misc. CR Pics

Last edited by jabead; 07-05-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #1513
jabead
DIS Veteran

One more update from DonaldDoleWhip, who sent pics of the Contemporary Resort's Room Service Menu.

5 Bonus Points for Menu Pics

Old 07-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #1514
Ginamarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulDisneytears View Post
So glad I found this thread! This looks quite fun, being a live food reporter. Our trip isn't until October and since I don't get to the World often enough to develop food faves I've scheduled us a bunch of places that seem to be solid favorites among the Dis community.

I'm curious, when do people send in updates for the most part? While waiting in line for an attraction, while still at the table, or once you're relaxing in your room?
I've usually sent my updates from the table, but if my phone battery is low, I wait until we are back at the hotel.
1980, 1987, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1997, 2003 (Ft Wilderness); Honeymoon 2002 (POFQ/Disney Magic), Sept 2003 (Disneyland!), Nov 2004 (CBR/Disney Magic), Dec. 2004 (Poly/CS), Aug 2005 (Disneyland), Oct/Nov 2005 (Pop), Olivia's 1st trip Dec 2006 (POFQ); Mom and Baby Trip, Oct 2007 (Pop); Pop/Disney Magic WB PC 5-10-08; Sal's First Trip Apr/May 2009 (POFQ); Big Family Trip Jan 2010 (POFQ); WL/Disney Magic EB TA Repo-4-10-10; Wine and Dine Half Marathon Oct 2010 (POR); Disney Wonder Alaska 6-21-11;Baby Owen's First Trip Aug 2011 (Ft Wilderness/BCV); ASSP May 2012; POFQ/YC Free Dining for our 10th Anniversary Sept 2012; Sisters Weekend Feb. 2013; Family Trip- Kidani Village/Freedom of the Seas Aug 2013; Surprised the kids- Pop Century July 2014 Coming soon: Disney Magic WB TA, Sept 2014; DSis's Disney Wedding Sept 2015

Ginamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #1515
jabead
DIS Veteran

Next in yesterday was JeannieKY's update from their dinner at DHS'...

"I had the chicken sandwich and Allison had the burger, both good. I was able to get the chicken sandwich without the sauce. Allison had the mousse and I had..."

"This was so good!"

5 July Game Points + 3 Bonus Points for sign and menu pics, patriotic themed cupcake

Last edited by jabead; 07-05-2013 at 03:47 PM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: