Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #16
khardy
Earning My Ears

Hope the pools are not too busy my daughter is super excited about swimming
khardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #17
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khardy View Post
It's probably best to prepare her for not being able to before you go and let her see the other things on the ship. There are not many times that anyone is actually able to do anything but stand or bob in the water. Swimming is definitely not something she will be able to do very much onboard.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #18
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by khardy View Post
As stated you have to go early or late. In our experience as the cruise progresses people figure this out and it slowly becomes more crowded each am and pm. So I suggest do this as early into the sailing as possible. Also bad weather closes the pools, so ....
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:21 PM   #19
amylia403
Disney Mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucijoy View Post
I was reading through this thread earlier and wanted to come back to make an observation. First, yes it is puzzling why Disney did not increase the pool size on the new ships (only been on the Magic; will be on the Dream May 12!) ; however, they didn't and obviously there are issues. So I thought about this novel idea that could improve some of the problems--what if parents took responsibility for and control of their children's actions? Something like, "Hey, sweetie, it's a bit crowded right now. Jumping in doing cannon balls/turning summer-salts/splashing around could get someone hurt. Let's just swim right now." Unfortunately, too many parents think vacation is a vacation from parenting and discipline. We may all have more enjoyable vacations if parents kindly taught their kids that their actions affect others. Even if the action itself is not wrong, it may not be the best choice under the circumstances. By the way, I am not anti-children. I have four who have managed to grow into fantastic young adults. Off the soap box now.
We are also going on the May 12th Dream! ...and I agree. I have 3 tweens with me, and they have already been given the rules. No jumping, no rough housing, no diving...etc. They will honestly probably just do the Aquaduck a few times and then avoid the pool crowds all together

amylia403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:50 PM   #20
CaliforniaGirl09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneylove5 View Post
We cruised on the Fantasy 4/13/13. The pools are extremely crowded and quite cloudy. My 12 and 10 year olds went in once. I would not allow an 8 and 4 year old in the pool if I wasn't physically in the pool with them. There are just too many people on top of each other and it's really hard to see them once they go under the water as the pool water is so cloudy. We LOVED the ship, but the pools are just way too small.
We were on same cruise as you, and totally agree. Our kids didn't go in at all.
CaliforniaGirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:55 PM   #21
Fjobe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Mandy~ View Post
I found Donald's pool to be just as others describe, but we really enjoyed mickeys pool with our 5 year old last year. It was crowded, but also so shallow that I never really worried about the kicking, jumping etc.
Your 8 year old probably won't want to hang out in the "baby" pool though.
This is how it was in the Mickey pool on our cruise also. It really was perfect for our 4 year old and 6 year old. Our son who is 9 was not thrilled about having to be in the Mickey pool, but I can't be in 2 places at once, so he wasn't able to go in the Donald pool. Anytime an extra adult from our group was getting in the water, he used that opportunity to ride the aquaduck.

Fjobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:47 AM   #22
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

We were on the Dream the first week of and had no real issues with the pools. You werent' going to swim laps or anything but there was certainly room to get it and move around a bit. We didn't find anything terrifying about them or any cloudiness to the water.

The hot-tub on the other hand was crazy. People would simply force themselves in even with no where to sit.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:29 AM   #23
Bookwood
DIS Veteran

so how is the Adult pool on Fantasy? Is it Adult soup?

Pam and DH Mike Wondering our way to Hawaii 10/14/2012

Pam and DH Mike (Retiring) through the Canal again 05/2015
Bookwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:40 AM   #24
missyp
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucijoy View Post
I was reading through this thread earlier and wanted to come back to make an observation. First, yes it is puzzling why Disney did not increase the pool size on the new ships (only been on the Magic; will be on the Dream May 12!) ; however, they didn't and obviously there are issues. So I thought about this novel idea that could improve some of the problems--what if parents took responsibility for and control of their children's actions? Something like, "Hey, sweetie, it's a bit crowded right now. Jumping in doing cannon balls/turning summer-salts/splashing around could get someone hurt. Let's just swim right now." Unfortunately, too many parents think vacation is a vacation from parenting and discipline. We may all have more enjoyable vacations if parents kindly taught their kids that their actions affect others. Even if the action itself is not wrong, it may not be the best choice under the circumstances. By the way, I am not anti-children. I have four who have managed to grow into fantastic young adults. Off the soap box now.

Lucy- how were the pools on the magic? Were they less crowded? We just booked a cruise on the Wonder after going on the Dream, wondering if the pool situation will be better

DCL Wonder- 04/14
DCL Dream- 02/13
missyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #25
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookwood View Post
so how is the Adult pool on Fantasy? Is it Adult soup?
Probably not. The Adult pool on the Dream was always basically empty
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:33 AM   #26
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyp View Post
Lucy- how were the pools on the magic? Were they less crowded? We just booked a cruise on the Wonder after going on the Dream, wondering if the pool situation will be better
I have cruised the Magic/Wonder three times... NEVER was "shocked" by what I saw at the pool as I was on the Dream.

IMHO part of the problem is the pools are basically close to the same size. The Dream/Fantasy class pools are only a little bigger. But there are LOTS more cruisers using the same space.... Design failure by Disney.
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:43 AM   #27
tmk0730
Mouseketeer

Are the pools/Aquaduck open on port days? Thanks!

tmk0730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #28
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmk0730 View Post
Are the pools/Aquaduck open on port days? Thanks!
Yes
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #29
anna08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsambam View Post
Wow. I cannot Disney designed these ships with such a design flaw. My daughter only wants to be in the pool. I am not depending thousands of dollars to limit her pool time, unless it is due to Disney Getting smart about this issue. We were on a fully booked Allure of the Seas last year, and there were NO issues ever with the pools. As much as I Iove Disney, I am apt to switch our booking to Royal. There is no reason that Disney doesn't try to fix this issue. Limit numbers, age limitations, stationing security by pools to prevent horseplay etc. Life guarding would be nearly impossible, but there has to be a fix.
My DD is a fish too, as I was when I was her age. I am very comfortable in the water (lifeguard for many years) and my DD is a strong swimmer for her age and I would not let my kids in the pools during the day this past cruise. I'm sure if you've been reading the pool threads you can figure out why.

But you SHOULD keep your DCL reservation because the activities and programming are awesome for kids. Go on excursions at every port - get to the beach as much as possible. On sea days, there is tons to do not on the pool decks. Then, when everyone else gets ready for dinner or the show, head to the pools and relax and watch a movie with the pools practically to yourself. She'll get her pool time in and you'll be able to watch her/them without worry.

My DD literally played in the water for 3 hours straight at Castaway Cay - I had to haul her in for lunch and then she went back out again. You will not feel water deprived, I promise!

Climbing back on my soapbox - make sure you add your feelings about the pools on your survey.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #30
Postal68
DIS Veteran

The pools can be packed. My daughters favorite time to go to the pool was at night(even though the air can be chilly) We sat there and watched the movie on the big screen and had our snacks while she swam in the very empty pool.
Postal68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: