Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 02:53 AM   #1
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

PC or concirge on the Fantasy?

I have a trip on the Fantasy booked for Jan. we are booked in a cat V. I really want to go but I also want to do the WBPC in May 2014. I really should not try to do both for financial reasons. I need to pick one. My preference is the 2 week trip but people rave about the new ship. I've been on the Wonder for a 2 week trip before and it was awesome. Keeping our Fantasy trip means not taking my son out of school and going on the PC means he'd miss two weeks. The school is fine with the absence (I'm in CA) so that's not an issue. So which would you do and why?
Old 04-26-2013, 04:16 AM   #2
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

The PC Educational reasons...

I've never done a PC cruise but they sound wonderful and very relaxing. I'd love for my kids to have that experience.
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-26-2013, 04:59 AM   #3
dennes
Mouseketeer

We have chosen the Panama Canal over a week ( or 5 days) on the Fantasy. My kids are really looking forwArd to it

Disney world 2001, Disneyland and California Adventure 2001, Disney Wonder Pixar Pacific Coastal Cruise Sept 2012, Disneyland and California Adventure Sept 2012. LOVED Carsland!

Can't wait for April/May 2014. Trip of a lifetime with DH, DSs (7) and (11) Panama Canal cruise and WDW. Very exciting!
dennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:32 AM   #4
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

The PC. Longer = better.

wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:01 AM   #5
baleeve
"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere -- I want it more than I can tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
I have a trip on the Fantasy booked for Jan. we are booked in a cat V. I really want to go but I also want to do the WBPC in May 2014. I really should not try to do both for financial reasons. I need to pick one. My preference is the 2 week trip but people rave about the new ship. I've been on the Wonder for a 2 week trip before and it was awesome. Keeping our Fantasy trip means not taking my son out of school and going on the PC means he'd miss two weeks. The school is fine with the absence (I'm in CA) so that's not an issue. So which would you do and why?
I don't know how old your son is but if he is past the 3rd grade I would vote for not taking him out of school. I know you said "its not an issue" but it does send him the wrong message about his education. School isn't always about learning (we can do that anywhere - obviously because many say the cruise is educational) school is about discipline and part of that is showing up everyday - even if it's homeschool. It's like working from home...you still have to get up, shower and get dressed. It shows your discipline.

As a single parent raising 3 boys, I would love to take my boys out of school to take a less expensive cruise but I can't send that kind of message. Not in this economy where so many are losing jobs and too many college graduates are having to work at fast food establishments due to lack of opportunity. Instead, I coupon, shop sales and stalk the internet for deals so I can afford to go when school is out.

I'm sorry if my response isn't popular but you posed the question. I respond out of respect and kindness.

THAT SAID, does the school support your decision? Will they allow you to turn in made up work? Will they allow for alternative assignments based on the cruise experience?

Only YOU know what is best for your family. I hope whichever decision you make you have peace with it and have a wonderful vacation.

Dance Team WDW Jul 80 Navy Graduation EPCOT Mar 88 Disneyland Mom 1 day trip April 88 Carnival Jubilee Aug 91 MK 1 day Mom Mar 95 Johns 1st visit POR Apr 96 WDW FWC Trip with Papa Sep 97 WDW FWC Family trip Dec 98 WDW POFQ/FWC - Work trip Mar 01 Sovereign of the Seas Sept 00 Owens 1st visit FWCG March 03 WDW 8 months prego w/Brady Jan 05 Carnival Fantasy Jun 07 WDW 1 day AK trip Mom Jan 08 Brady's 1st visit/Mardi Gras POFQ Feb 09 First Xmas at WDW/1st year remission celebration POP Dec 10 WDW AKL 4th yr remission celebration Aug 13 Magic/LBV/DTD Feb 2014
baleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:16 AM   #6
Kabuli1
DIS Veteran

Both!

Luv2, I am in sort of the same dilemma abut the southern route in 2014 and our shared Fantasy cruise in Jan! I want you on the Fantasy in Jan AND you should do PC! Therefore I suggest perhaps you can give up concierge and slum with the rest of us and thereby save some $$. You can always try to upgrade at the port. Or, wait for a PC until after the Wonder has her next major dry dock!

karyn
Kabuli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:20 AM   #7
Tami0220
Chip & Dale Fanatic

I have only done one cruise which was the PC, I am scheduled to do the Fantasy cat V in Sept. I don't have school aged children anymore, but my opinion would be based on how the child performs in school. If your child is a stellar student I wouldn't hesitate to go on the PC. If your child has difficulty in school I would have second thoughts. I do agree with the previous poster about discipline but, again based on the age and aptitude of the child the PC could be a great learning experience.

It doesn't sound like you have any other factors than the child in basing your decision. When I went on the PC there were more ports involved. I don't care much for the current ports or I would love to do it again. Think also of the crowd issue. You will probably have a much larger crowd on the Fantasy, not just because it is a larger ship but due to the length and time of year. Is your child very social? There were less than 300 children on our PC cruise.

Good luck in your decision. Either way it is a win win situation. Wouldn't it be nice if all our decisions in life could be like this . Have a great cruise

Tami & Mike
Tami0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #8
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by baleeve

I don't know how old your son is but if he is past the 3rd grade I would vote for not taking him out of school. I know you said "its not an issue" but it does send him the wrong message about his education. School isn't always about learning (we can do that anywhere - obviously because many say the cruise is educational) school is about discipline and part of that is showing up everyday - even if it's homeschool. It's like working from home...you still have to get up, shower and get dressed. It shows your discipline.

As a single parent raising 3 boys, I would love to take my boys out of school to take a less expensive cruise but I can't send that kind of message. Not in this economy where so many are losing jobs and too many college graduates are having to work at fast food establishments due to lack of opportunity. Instead, I coupon, shop sales and stalk the internet for deals so I can afford to go when school is out.

I'm sorry if my response isn't popular but you posed the question. I respond out of respect and kindness.

THAT SAID, does the school support your decision? Will they allow you to turn in made up work? Will they allow for alternative assignments based on the cruise experience?

Only YOU know what is best for your family. I hope whichever decision you make you have peace with it and have a wonderful vacation.
He will be in 1st grade. I should have elaborated but in California if you have your kid out for more than 3 days then you have the option of applying for independent study. You get a packet before you leave, do your work while you are gone, and turn it in when you get back. The school gets paid for the days you were gone and the missed data count as actual attendance. I took him out for the Hawaii cruise last year and he still had perfect attendance (has not missed for anything else...super healthy this year).

Last edited by luv2sleep; 04-26-2013 at 08:26 AM.
luv2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #9
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabuli1
Luv2, I am in sort of the same dilemma abut the southern route in 2014 and our shared Fantasy cruise in Jan! I want you on the Fantasy in Jan AND you should do PC! Therefore I suggest perhaps you can give up concierge and slum with the rest of us and thereby save some $$. You can always try to upgrade at the port. Or, wait for a PC until after the Wonder has her next major dry dock!

karyn
Haha! I know I should slum it, lol. Thing is I really wasn't that interested in the ports. I just wanted to try concierge. Otherwise the cruise itself doesn't seem that interesting. However, airfare would be reasonable because I can use points and I'd still like to take vacation then anyway. It's an off peak time because most kids are back at school. Our district has them out into mid Jan. so maybe we should just do both but I downgrade. Humm. More to think about.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 04-26-2013 at 08:31 AM.
luv2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
baleeve
"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere -- I want it more than I can tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
He will be in 1st grade. I should have elaborated but in California if you have your kid out for more than 3 days then you have the option of applying for independent study. You get a packet before you leave, do your work while you are gone, and turn it in when you get back. The school gets paid for the days you were gone and the missed data count as actual attendance. I took him out for the Hawaii cruise last year and he still had perfect attendance (has not missed for anything else...super healthy this year).
First grade....oh well...what's to think about?? DO IT!

There is no greater learning experience OR GIFT that you can give to a child than travel.

ENJOY!!!

Dance Team WDW Jul 80 Navy Graduation EPCOT Mar 88 Disneyland Mom 1 day trip April 88 Carnival Jubilee Aug 91 MK 1 day Mom Mar 95 Johns 1st visit POR Apr 96 WDW FWC Trip with Papa Sep 97 WDW FWC Family trip Dec 98 WDW POFQ/FWC - Work trip Mar 01 Sovereign of the Seas Sept 00 Owens 1st visit FWCG March 03 WDW 8 months prego w/Brady Jan 05 Carnival Fantasy Jun 07 WDW 1 day AK trip Mom Jan 08 Brady's 1st visit/Mardi Gras POFQ Feb 09 First Xmas at WDW/1st year remission celebration POP Dec 10 WDW AKL 4th yr remission celebration Aug 13 Magic/LBV/DTD Feb 2014
baleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #11
collectoraholic
Is it time to sail yet?

If you MUST choose, I'd do the Panama Canal. Hands down! The Fantasy will always be there to take cruises on...PC cruises are few and far between.

HTHs!
Old 04-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #12
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

I would take two weeks on the Wonder over a week on the Fantasy in a heartbeat, regardless of what category of room.

There is no better way to educate our children about the world and make them good citizens of humanity than travel. The American school system is far from the most effective and supportive way to instill a work ethic and a sense of discipline in life. If the school he's in is willing to let him do independent study, don't hesitate to book the PC cruise. Actually being on a ship going through the locks and learning about how long it took to build the canal and the coordinated effort required between communities/cultures/countries is an extraordinary opportunity.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #13
CaliforniaGirl09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
There is no better way to educate our children about the world and make them good citizens of humanity than travel. The American school system is far from the most effective and supportive way to instill a work ethic and a sense of discipline in life. If the school he's in is willing to let him do independent study, don't hesitate to book the PC cruise. Actually being on a ship going through the locks and learning about how long it took to build the canal and the coordinated effort required between communities/cultures/countries is an extraordinary opportunity.
I couldn't agree more and you beat me to the keyboard! We travel extensively with our children and it is far more educational than a textbook. Don't hesitate--go!
CaliforniaGirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #14
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Ok I'm thinking if downgrading on the Fantasy and trying for a port upgrade. This way I can do both.

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #15
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by collectoraholic View Post
If you MUST choose, I'd do the Panama Canal. Hands down! The Fantasy will always be there to take cruises on...PC cruises are few and far between.

HTHs!
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: