Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 12:52 AM   #1
rdw
Mouseketeer

First Disney Cruise in Less than 2 days - Last Minute Tips?

I think I have read all of the tips - but I feel like my mind is going blank.

So, any last minute tips for a DCL newbie? (and it's been 7 years since I've been on a cruise).

Anything to make sure we don't miss on the first day? (where should we have lunch?)

Dinner on the first day?

We'll be on the Wonder - thanks!
rdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:59 AM   #2
dennes
Mouseketeer

Parrot Cay for lunch is the best bet. And line up for Palo brunch If you haven't got a reservation.

Take swimmers in your carry on

Have a blast. We are on the wonder in about 12 months . Enjoy enjoy enjoy

Disney world 2001, Disneyland and California Adventure 2001, Disney Wonder Pixar Pacific Coastal Cruise Sept 2012, Disneyland and California Adventure Sept 2012. LOVED Carsland!

Can't wait for April/May 2014. Trip of a lifetime with DH, DSs (7) and (11) Panama Canal cruise and WDW. Very exciting!
dennes is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-26-2013, 01:34 AM   #3
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

Make sure you have your passports and credit card.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:53 AM   #4
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Dinner on the first day will be based on your assigned dining rotation, listed as a series of letters on your Key to the World card. On the Wonder, A=Animator's Palate, T=Triton's, and P=Parrot Cay.

Your other options will be Beach Blanket, which will be a sit-down restaurant (is only a buffet during the day), room service, or quick service by the pool.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:07 AM   #5
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennes View Post

Take swimmers in your carry on
Wow that's a great tip. Free cruise. I hope I can fit in the carry on. I am a swimmer. Sorry had to do it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.

Last edited by aan1701; 04-26-2013 at 02:17 AM.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:00 AM   #6
dennes
Mouseketeer

Sorry that's kiwi talk. I forgot to speak US English lol. It took me about two weeks to be understood last September. Must go practice my US English

Disney world 2001, Disneyland and California Adventure 2001, Disney Wonder Pixar Pacific Coastal Cruise Sept 2012, Disneyland and California Adventure Sept 2012. LOVED Carsland!

Can't wait for April/May 2014. Trip of a lifetime with DH, DSs (7) and (11) Panama Canal cruise and WDW. Very exciting!
Old 04-26-2013, 05:04 AM   #7
omalley1118
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennes View Post
Sorry that's kiwi talk. I forgot to speak US English lol. It took me about two weeks to be understood last September. Must go practice my US English
How funny are you????

We like to have the first lunch poolside!!! We had the kids wear their suits under clothes and grabbed a table right next to the pool. One time, they were the first ones in... That being said, you have to get there early.

The most important thing to remember is to HAVE FUN!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2013, 05:06 AM   #8
dennes
Mouseketeer

My kids packed their swimmers/togs/swimsuits/trunks in our carry on luggage and we swam all afternoon

My advice - don't try to do everything - then you can justify another cruise we will be doing two in two years eeek!!

Old 04-26-2013, 06:02 AM   #9
MagicMe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
Dinner on the first day will be based on your assigned dining rotation, listed as a series of letters on your Key to the World card. On the Wonder, A=Animator's Palate, T=Triton's, and P=Parrot Cay.

Your other options will be Beach Blanket, which will be a sit-down restaurant (is only a buffet during the day), room service, or quick service by the pool.
Note that the sit down restaurant in Beach Blanket (or Topsiders or
Cabanas) is not usually available the first night.

My advise - just relax and enjoy!!!!
Disney Dream/AKL - JUL14; Disney Fantasy - SEP12; Disney Dream/OKW - OCT11; Disney Wonder - Alaska AUG11; Disney Magic WBTA - Sep10; Disney Magic - Sep08; WL - Dec07-MVMCP; OKW - Oct/Nov06-MNSSHP; Disney Wonder - Aug06; OKW - Sept05; Disneyland - Jun04; Offsite - Dec03-MVMCP; Poly - Aug02; POR/Wonder - Aug00; POR - Jul99; And many more...

MagicMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMe View Post
Note that the sit down restaurant in Beach Blanket (or Topsiders or
Cabanas) is not usually available the first night.
D'oh! Thanks. We always eat in the MDR the whole cruise so I never remember that it's not open the first night.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #11
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

If you like cheese, ask for a cheese plate when they bring you your bread.

Get cookies and milk delivered to you room at least once.

Go to the buffet for lunch on day 1, sit on the deck and eat or by the window.

don't try to do everything on board.

enjoy your cruise

rebook on board and save 10% and get an On Board Credit.

2014 - 4 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 1-Fantasy, 1-Magic
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

Magic-7, Wonder-5, Dream-7, Fantasy-3
3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 9, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
(23) 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy - 12/14
(24) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #12
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

If you bring your own goggles, masks, snorkels, fins, (I only use goggles and fins, but whatever you prefer for underwater viewing) you don't have to pay to snorkel at CC. I never leave home without mine! Don't forget an underwater camera or two!

Don't forget that you can bring some bottles of wine or rum or whatever you like (we also made margaritas) on board with you, unlike other cruise lines!

Lanyard holders for around your neck (they range in practical to super fancy) so that you always have your key card when you don't want to carry a purse around the ship.

A big must for me:
-DON'T forget tiaras for the ladies (all ages, if you want!) and DON'T forget your pirate costumes!

Have a packing checklist, I'm sure you do already. Also, whatever bag you are using (I use a Disney Princesses backpack purse for cruising embarkation so I can go hands free and not fight with a purse strap) and stick your signed cruise docs and passports in it already. Just load it all up in that bag and leave it on your table or next to your door or go ahead and put it in the car already!

Don't forget any medications that you can't get anyway else (like birth control, etc.) I also make sure and bring probiotics on hand for stomach upsets with the richer food.

Oh yeah! If you are cruising Port Canav, and are driving your own car, don't forget to fill up with gas in Orlando and make sure you have a big bag of quarters on you because there are lots and lots of tolls and exact change gets you through the toll lines quicker if you don't have to wait for change back from a booth employee! There are no ways to get to PC driving that I know of where you don't pay tolls. SCrounge up all those quarters from laundry or in junk drawers or old purses and make sure you have a whole bag of em!

Flip flops, nice sandal, and a pair of good walking shoes. Water shoes if you want.

If I think of anything else, I'll chime back in!

Don't forget your drinkie drinks!
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #13
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

the corollary to
"Don't try to do it all"
is
"Don't Try To EAT It All" ... been there, tried that, failed miserably!!

Like someone else said - all you need are the clothes on your back, your passport and credit card - AND prescription medications. Don't over stress the packing - you can "buy" your way out of anything that has been missed.

Last night packing tip -- make sure you have clothes / underwear / shoes for the next morning (disembarkation day).

Have fun - keep my ship safe. I'm getting on the Wonder on May 6 for the 14 night cruise to LA. Oh yea, I plan on having a very large bill to pay at the end of my cruise - so "Don't Drink It All"
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #14
MoxieandPixie
Mouseketeer

One of those hanging organizers for in the room is the best! Have some zip lock baggies to store various items. Sign up for tea with Alice right away if you want to go. Lunch at the buffet first day if you want to sit out and enjoy the view. In the dining room if you want a better meal, IMO.

1988 - Norwegian~2004 - RCCL Adventure of the Seas~6/2/2012 - DCL Magic~8/3/2013 - DCL Fantasy~4/5/15 - RCCL Quantum of the Seas
MoxieandPixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #15
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxieandPixie View Post
One of those hanging organizers for in the room is the best!
Just a reminder that if you bring one of these, it will need to be hung on existing hooks or bars in the room and not over any of the doors, per the recent rules change from DCL.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: