Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
RalphMouth
Obviously freaky things always can happen beyond anyones control
It's a blast.......you'll love it !!

Carthay Circle VS Wine Country For WOC Dining

do Carthay Circle diners get a better preferred viewing section than WCT ?

Carthay doesn't have a set menu ... I think I've read that you have to order a main entree and either a starter or desert .... correct ? what about children ?

which is a better choice ??
RalphMouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
KateDrake
DIS Veteran

I've only done Carthay Circle with the package, but it was awesome! I'd totally recommend doing it. I've never been a huge fan of WCT, so that just doesn't appeal to me.

At Carthay, you get to order off the regular menu. You just have to order one entree per person and either an appetizer or dessert for each person. Kids just have to order an item off the kids menu, no dessert or app required. We had four adults and DD4 in our group, and we got two apps and two desserts to split around the table. The food was awesome, we all left so full because we were full, but couldn't bear to leave a bite behind.

As far as the FPs go, as far as I could tell, it was the same area. We ate dinner kind of late and only arrived about 20 minutes before the show, so we didn't get to the lower levels, but we were still about mid-way down right on the rail. Great view!

Overall, I would totally do it again. The food was amazing, and WOC makes me cry every time!
KateDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2013, 11:41 PM   #3
Girimama33
"I've disgraced the forces of evil."

We ate at Carthay Circle last night for WOC. The meal and service was phenomenal. It was DH, DD (4) and myself. Our server told us DD only had to order an entree, and DH and I had to order an appetizer or dessert and an entree in order to get the WOC viewing. Children do not need to order an appetizer or dessert anymore.
We showed up about 15 minutes before the show started. We got a good view right above the steps around the center circle. I thought it was a good view. You can ask the server how many WOC viewing passes were slated for that day. Our server told us the space holds 900 guests in the CCT viewing section, and last night they didn't even give out 400.

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android

Last edited by Girimama33; 04-26-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Girimama33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

Last summer we did the CC WOC package and loved it. We like the food better than WCT anyway. Plus you can choose your own meal. The viewing area is better than WCT too. We went for lunch and asked for tickets to the second show. We had a great spot at the railing, and the area was not full at all. Very roomy and we didn't feel squished. The railings in the area were all taken by show time, but others who came later were back against the back railing and not pushed up against us. Lots of space in between. First show was probably more crowded, but less people are going to have tickets to that area than others anyway.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

For our upcoming trip we are actually doing the WOC dining packages at both WTC and Carthay Circle. Since my kids and DH wanted to try this restaurant, we decided to tack on the WOC package there. And when I read about Carthay Circle and what the requirements are for the WOC package, we decided to do that one as well....we like to get an entree or a dessert. I think I am more excited about the Carthay Circle package only because of where the viewing area is located .

PoohsFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
algae
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post
do Carthay Circle diners get a better preferred viewing section than WCT ?
Yup, as others said, CC has its own viewing area and it is better than the other restaurant areas. It feels more centered and wasn't very crowded on the 2 times we've been in that section.
algae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
RalphMouth
Obviously freaky things always can happen beyond anyones control
It's a blast.......you'll love it !!

One last question-

Do dinner guests get into a better viewing area than lunch guests ?
RalphMouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:10 PM   #8
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post
One last question-

Do dinner guests get into a better viewing area than lunch guests ?
No, you can ask for either show at lunch. We asked for the second show. And with an early enough dinner you can go to the first showing. So there is no lunch or dinner viewing. It is all in the same area.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #9
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by algae View Post
Yup, as others said, CC has its own viewing area and it is better than the other restaurant areas. It feels more centered and wasn't very crowded on the 2 times we've been in that section.
Maybe I missed it but I did not see others say that. And it is not the case that different dining options get you better viewing locations. There are some default locations the CMs send people but you are allowed to go wherever you want.

DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
algae
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
Maybe I missed it but I did not see others say that. And it is not the case that different dining options get you better viewing locations. There are some default locations the CMs send people but you are allowed to go wherever you want.

Um er, PoohsFan1 alluded to it. But I'll go on record to say that, when we were there, CC had its own viewing section as told to us by the wait staff at CC. The signs you look for to get to your viewing area (yellow, red, blue,..) include a Carthay Circle sign. I take that to mean CC has it's own area. Maybe there's another entrance to the same area that I didn't see, but I believe CC has its own area.

However, there's no difference between CC lunch and CC dinner AFAIK.
algae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #11
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by algae View Post
Um er, PoohsFan1 alluded to it. But I'll go on record to say that, when we were there, CC had its own viewing section as told to us by the wait staff at CC. The signs you look for to get to your viewing area (yellow, red, blue,..) include a Carthay Circle sign. I take that to mean CC has it's own area. Maybe there's another entrance to the same area that I didn't see, but I believe CC has its own area.

However, there's no difference between CC lunch and CC dinner AFAIK.
If they have started using signs for different default dining areas then that is relatively new. I have not seen that. But it remains the case that you can request to go anywhere and the CMs will let you. And "official" area for different dining venues are only default options which you do not have to follow.

DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #12
PixieDustD
Mouseketeer

I just listened to the Dis goes West podcast and they highly recommended the Carthay Circle option.

PixieDustD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:14 PM   #13
liesel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
If they have started using signs for different default dining areas then that is relatively new. I have not seen that. But it remains the case that you can request to go anywhere and the CMs will let you. And "official" area for different dining venues are only default options which you do not have to follow.

I saw WOC in January and noticed that they had separate signs for Carthay and WCT and they appeared to be separate viewing areas. Since this has changed, I think it would be a good idea not to assume that the CMs would let you choose between these two viewing areas. Hopefully someone who has been there recently or has an upcoming trip will be able to confirm this.

We also had lunch at Carthay on our departure day (MLK day, extremely busy)and were asked if we wanted WOC fastpasses. So they must have had some fastpasses to spare that day. I wonder if they even give out their allotted FPs on most days.

DLR: many times as a local 1984-1995, June 2009, December 2009, June 2010, October 2010 (day trip), October 2011, January 2012 Tinker Bell Half Marathon, July/August 2012, August/September 2012, January 2013 Tinker Bell Half Marathon, March 2013, Dumbo Double Dare August/September 2013, Tinker Bell Half Marathon January 2014

WDW: 1980, September 2008, February 2014 Princess Half Marathon-first coast to coast

Upcoming DLR trips: August 2014 Dumbo Double Dare 2: Liesel Strikes Back and first 10K with my DS, November 2014 Avengers Half Marathon (because I have a problem saying no to inaugural events), January 2015 Star Wars Half Marathon (see Avengers), May 2015 Tinker Bell Half Marathon and birthday trip

liesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #14
halfgirlhalfmouse
Earning My Ears

In general, I would have to say Carthay Circle when it comes to the food alone. My sister and her bf went on a date to Wine Country recently and they came back so upset with the quality of food and service they got. I have not gone so I cannot speak for myself, but being that they have both been fine dining servers I definitely trust their opinion.
halfgirlhalfmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #15
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by liesel View Post
I saw WOC in January and noticed that they had separate signs for Carthay and WCT and they appeared to be separate viewing areas. Since this has changed, I think it would be a good idea not to assume that the CMs would let you choose between these two viewing areas. Hopefully someone who has been there recently or has an upcoming trip will be able to confirm this.

We also had lunch at Carthay on our departure day (MLK day, extremely busy)and were asked if we wanted WOC fastpasses. So they must have had some fastpasses to spare that day. I wonder if they even give out their allotted FPs on most days.
They ask everyone who dines if they want FP, they don't guarantee that you will get one. DD and I ate there for lunch, we didn't have "WoC reservations" but we were able to get the FPs with no problems, we ordered 1 appetizer to share and a dessert to share and an entree each and qualified with no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfgirlhalfmouse View Post
In general, I would have to say Carthay Circle when it comes to the food alone. My sister and her bf went on a date to Wine Country recently and they came back so upset with the quality of food and service they got. I have not gone so I cannot speak for myself, but being that they have both been fine dining servers I definitely trust their opinion.
I feel the food/service at CCTR to be better than that at WCT. We did WCT for my birthday one year and the food was good but nothing great and the service was a bit slow. We weren't impressed.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: