Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
blossombrd
Mouseketeer

Personal carry-on item on Delta

How large can a personal item be when flying Delta? The website says one personal item could be a briefcase or purse or camera case. I'm thinking about taking a tote bag and putting my camera, video camera, and purse inside that. Would that be allowed? I believe it has to fit under the seat in front of you, but I don't know how big that space is. What is your experience?
blossombrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
erinscreen
Mouseketeer

It sounds like you want to do exactly what I do: I have a larger bag that I keep all my essentials in (including my tablet, camera, purse) and take that as my carry-on instead of trying to wrestle two items. If you plan on checking your luggage, you are still allowed a purse and an additional carry-on. Depending on your flight (how full it is, how big the plane is), they may have you do a jetway check (valet) if you have a larger carry-on (like the size of a small suitcase).
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossombrd View Post
How large can a personal item be when flying Delta? The website says one personal item could be a briefcase or purse or camera case. I'm thinking about taking a tote bag and putting my camera, video camera, and purse inside that. Would that be allowed? I believe it has to fit under the seat in front of you, but I don't know how big that space is. What is your experience?
I've found Delta lets pretty much anything on. I couldn't believe one time a girl had a huge overstuffed bag and it would not fit into the overhead top to bottom. Instead of forcing her to check it, the F/A gave her a bag to take stuff out so that it would fit. Meanwhile she was blocking the aisle during boarding.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
letsgoreds
DIS Veteran

My experience is that they are not particular with the size...as long as they are each within the size requirements. I have seen some flight attendants crack down on people who try to bring on 3, requiring them to stick one in the other, etc.
letsgoreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:03 AM   #5
Kimberle
WL Vet

I fly Delta all the time. I've seen it "both" ways. Sometimes they are strict and sometime they are not. In general, your carryon (personal) should fit under the seat ahead of you.
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level

Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
blossombrd
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinscreen View Post
It sounds like you want to do exactly what I do: I have a larger bag that I keep all my essentials in (including my tablet, camera, purse) and take that as my carry-on instead of trying to wrestle two items. If you plan on checking your luggage, you are still allowed a purse and an additional carry-on. Depending on your flight (how full it is, how big the plane is), they may have you do a jetway check (valet) if you have a larger carry-on (like the size of a small suitcase).
I plan to have a small suitcase also as a carry-on as well as the tote bag. What is a jetway check and is there a charge for that?
blossombrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #7
ain0004
Mouseketeer

We always fly delta. I use one of the kids book bags for camera, purse, and so on and stow it under the seat in front of me. never had a problem.
ain0004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #8
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossombrd View Post
I plan to have a small suitcase also as a carry-on as well as the tote bag. What is a jetway check and is there a charge for that?
You will need to consolidate so you only have 2 bags when you board the plane (I think you are aware of that already).

If you are flying a small regional plane, you usually have to check larger carry-on baggage at the gate, as the overheads are really small and will only hold a purse/backpack sized item. There is no charge for this. You probably won't have to worry about this.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #9
rdevine10
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them- Walt Disney

When we fly delta we do the following for our family of 4:

we each have one small rolling suitcase (that fits the size requirements).

We then each carry on a backpack that will fit under the seat in front of us. (My purse must be able to fit into one of the bags prior to boarding).

We then usually check 1 suitcase with toiletries.

We have noticed since they started charging for bags they often at the gate will allow people to check for free to create room on full flights.
Too many childhood trips to count. 9/00- ASMovies, 5/05- Pop, 9/06- Pop, 9/07- Pop, 5/08-AKL & Summer Bay, 9/08- Pop, 4/09-Nick Hotel & Caribe Royal, 4/10-Bonnet Creek, 9/10- Pop, 4/11 Disney Dream Cruise-4night (Nassau & Castaway Cay x 2) & Bonnet Creek, 4/12 Carnival Legend Cruise (Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize & Cozumel) & CBR, 4/13- Bonnet Creek 8/13- Daytona Beach, RCCL Enchantment of the Seas (Nassau & Coco Cay) & Art of Animation! 4/2014- Carnival Freedom (Key West, Ocho Rios & Grand Cayman) & Caribe Royal 7/14- Daytona Beach & Holiday Inn Resort Lake Beuna Vista 8/14- Atlantis Resort, Paradise Island, Bahamas

rdevine10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: