Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #16
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Nope
Old 04-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #17
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck
A textile factory in Savar, Bangladesh collapsed, killing over 200 people.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...ladesh-factory

Will this travesty make you consider changing your shopping habits and buy clothes from a country with work safety regulations (US, Canada, Europe...), or at least clothes that you can verify were made in decent conditions?
I already do. I hate stuff made in China and India. So I an an avid label reader.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #18
disprincess4ever
DIS Veteran

After taking a human geography studies course that focused on this topic, while the factories often are dangerous and workers have long hours, it provides jobs to those that otherwise would have none and just be farming enough to feed their family. While better regulations would be a good thing for human rights of the workers, companies would just outsource to another cheaper country.

Disney Fantasy: 7 night Western Caribbean June 2012
Disney Magic: 12 night Mediterranean w/ Venice June 2013, 4 night Bahaman April 2014
disprincess4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #19
superme80
DIS Veteran

It is very sad, but I can't afford to be picky about my clothes.
DH-42 ME-34 DS #1-5 DS #2 3 DS #3 1 year old
superme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #20
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

It's pretty hard to know the conditions where things are made. Many designer brands are largely assembled in sweatshops in third world countries and shipped to Europe for some minute amount of finishing that allows them to say the item was made there.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #21
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

I don't think it is any secret that buying clothes at Walmart supports this type of sweatshop. My habits won't change because I stopped buying from sweatshops years ago. It is actually not hard to find out where things are made. It's a choice to support and buy things made in our country. It's not a lot more expensive.

I guess after reading this thread I can make a new t shirt. " unemployed, it sure beats dead" because being unemployed IS by far preferable to being squished and tortured in a sweatshop. Until people start caring, nothing will change. Please, they wouldn't have jobs otherwise? That is a sad justification. If that is how you think you are helping people, please don't do me any favors. I'd rather take my chances with no job, thanks.That is just what some people tell themselves to absolve their own guilt.

Last edited by dakcp2001; 04-27-2013 at 10:57 AM.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #22
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Every dollar I spend is a vote for something. If I can make an informed choice I do. I think the argument that these people won't have jobs is a weak one. We could have said the same thing about slavery back in the day "Oh where will they go?.. what will they do?.. they won't be able to feed themselves". Then we argue out of the other side of our mouths about how terrible our economy is and how foreigners providing cheap labor are the culprit and a myriad of other outsourcing complaints.

My basic assertion is vote with your dollar or you have no right to complain.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:01 AM   #23
CPT Tripss
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
Even if there were a worldwide movement to stop buying the clothes, I'm not sure what good it would do. How would being unemployed help these people?

I can see that the world community needs to approach this, but it's a human rights issue, not a consumer issue.

It's not about not buying from Bangladesh, it's about them-- or somebody-- demanding proper working conditions for the people there.
You are right it is a human rights issue. What does it say about us when we spend our money in support of sweatshop owners?

Many brands and retailers require their contractors or manufacturers be inspected or certified as not using sweat shop practices and not exploiting child labor. It ain't perfect, but it's a start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
It's pretty hard to know the conditions where things are made. Many designer brands are largely assembled in sweatshops in third world countries and shipped to Europe for some minute amount of finishing that allows them to say the item was made there.
Our laws require that each country of manufacture be listed on the label.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:15 AM   #24
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

There are so many Human Rights groups that do magnificent work--here's a list of a few:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._organisations
(Sorry, it's Wikipedia, but I've got to get moving.)

I would think that working with them would probably be a more effective approach than posting on a Disney message board.

For what it's worth, the vast majority of the clothes I buy are American made. (And the ONLY thing I buy in Walmart is Halloween Candy-- I HATE that place!!)

What happened in that factory is horrible, and my prayers go out to the victims and their families. I'm just not sure that the approach taken by the OP is the one most likely to effect change.

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)

Last edited by Aliceacc; 04-26-2013 at 05:46 AM.
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:20 AM   #25
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
No it won't but I can say I do purchase a lot of clothing from American Apparel either directly or from companies that print on their blanks. They are the most comfortable shirts I own and I believe all of their clothing is manufactured in the United States.
I did not know that about American Apparel. Thanks

DD16 has a lot of shirts from Redbubble.com I noticed doing laundry today that they all have American Apparel tags and I know that the art on them comes from independent artists. It makes me want to give them more business

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #26
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

The death toll is now over 350. So sad.

I remember when I was young, there was a backlash against Kathy Lee when it was revealed her clothing line used sweat shop labor. Things have really changed since then. I also don't think the argument that they wouldn't have jobs otherwise is a good argument. We are talking about people making less than $40 a month and working in hazardous conditions. There's no justification for that in my opinion.
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #27
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto View Post
Every dollar I spend is a vote for something. If I can make an informed choice I do. I think the argument that these people won't have jobs is a weak one. We could have said the same thing about slavery back in the day "Oh where will they go?.. what will they do?.. they won't be able to feed themselves". Then we argue out of the other side of our mouths about how terrible our economy is and how foreigners providing cheap labor are the culprit and a myriad of other outsourcing complaints.

My basic assertion is vote with your dollar or you have no right to complain.
Exactly
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #28
Acklander
DIS Veteran

I'm not a big shopper anyway (prefer to spend my $$$ on experiences) so since I shop so little, I try to do research first. The other day, I was thinking that I needed some new polos so I googled American made polo shirts and several places came up. Yes, it would be easier to just pop over to Walmart or target, but I prefer to do it this way. I can't always get everything American made, but I try real hard. In the big picture, it doesn't make a difference but I always think of the story about the little boy throwing the star fish back in the ocean. It might not make much difference on my few polos, but it matters to the person making the polo.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #29
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acklander View Post
I'm not a big shopper anyway (prefer to spend my $$$ on experiences) so since I shop so little, I try to do research first. The other day, I was thinking that I needed some new polos so I googled American made polo shirts and several places came up. Yes, it would be easier to just pop over to Walmart or target, but I prefer to do it this way. I can't always get everything American made, but I try real hard. In the big picture, it doesn't make a difference but I always think of the story about the little boy throwing the star fish back in the ocean. It might not make much difference on my few polos, but it matters to the person making the polo.

I do think it makes a difference.

Why do you think our manufacturing industry left. Manufacturers figured out, they can make stuff cheaper and still sell it at a ridiculous markup thereby increasing their bottom line and we didn't care as long as we could get a tee shirt for 99cent.

we got exactly what we sow. cheap junk and no jobs.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #30
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

No.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: