Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

After the tragedy in Bangaldash, will you change your clothes shopping habits?

A textile factory in Savar, Bangladesh collapsed, killing over 200 people.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...ladesh-factory

Will this travesty make you consider changing your shopping habits and buy clothes from a country with work safety regulations (US, Canada, Europe...), or at least clothes that you can verify were made in decent conditions?

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
Hoodie
Going to BC and GF with one week's planning
The snappers go for you and the painteds pee on you. Either way, they never seemed very grateful!

Nope.
Hoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
wvjules
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post

Will this travesty make you consider changing your shopping habits and buy clothes from a country with work safety regulations (US, Canada, Europe...), or at least clothes that you can verify were made in decent conditions?
No. I don't pay attention to where anything is made.
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

I just heard that on NPR. How horrible.

Will it make me change? Nope.

I would not even begin to figure out which clothing is made in a crappy factory VS a good factory. How are you supposed to discern the difference?
Old 04-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
scoutie
DIS Veteran

I looked to see which clothes were made in Bangledesh, and there is hardly any information on it. "Joe Fresh" clothes (which I've never heard of), is the only company I can get information on.

Quote:
What clothing companies don't outsource? Most of us would be walking around nude. There are only eight (very small) companies who make 80% of their clothing in the USA. Out of those eight, one company makes dog clothing, and another only makes T-shirts. As for researching Canadian and European clothing companies--I don't know where to begin.

Would I prefer to buy clothing from companies that pay their workers a decent wage and who are working in safe conditions? Yes. Do I have the knowledge to decide which companies follow decent practices? No.

Last edited by scoutie; 04-25-2013 at 01:09 PM.
scoutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
kimblebee
now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutie View Post
I looked to see which clothes were made in Bangledesh, and there is hardly any information on it. "Joe Fresh" clothes (which I've never heard of), is the only company I can get information on.

What clothing companies don't outsource? Most of us would be walking around nude. There are only eight (very small) companies who make 80% of their clothing in the USA.
Joe Fresh is a brand of clothing in one of our largest grocery store chains.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post

One of the reasons why work safety regulations exist now in the US is precisely because we also had a great, tragic disaster of our own where 146 women died on a fire. It's called the Triangle Factory Fire of 1911. The women died because they were trapped in the burning building, by hazards caused by managers who ignored basic fire regulations.

What needed to be changed and did change was by regulating and forcing how the manufacturers ran things. Change needs to happen at the root, not the end, consumer level.

You actually think that cutting profits for people who didn't give a jot about human lives and safety, in the first place, is going to make them spend what lesser dollars they get, on human safety? If they didn't care before, they aren't suddenly going to spend it when their budgets are squeezed. Human safety conditions would be the first areas to go.
Quote:
Because the managers had locked the doors to the stairwells and exits a common practice at the time to prevent pilferage and unauthorized breaks many of the workers who could not escape the burning building jumped from the eighth, ninth, and tenth floors to the streets below. The fire led to legislation requiring improved factory safety standards and helped spur the growth of the International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union, which fought for better working conditions for sweatshop workers.
There is a great PBS-TV documentary on it two years ago at the 100 anniversary of the fire. You can also read it on Wiki here: (all facts may or may not be correct)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangl...t_Factory_fire
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!

Last edited by Imzadi; 04-25-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #8
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzadi View Post
One of the reasons why work safety regulations exist now in the US is precisely because we also had a great, tragic disaster of our own where 146 women died on a fire. It's called the Triangle Factory Fire of 1911.
This was the first thing that came to my mind as I was posting the thread.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #9
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Like a PP, trying to figure out what clothing is really made in safe condition is near impossible, so, sadly, no it will not change my habits.

My husband is in manufacturing and has insisted for years that what really makes production in third world countries so much cheaper is that the factories do not have to meet environmental or safety regulations--actual pay level difference, while vast, are really not where the major savings come in.

I've often wondered what would happen if the countries that mandate safe working conditions and environmentally sound practices were to refuse trade from countries which do not, how that would change things? Would manufacturing at "home' become more common? Would it help the economy (influx of jobs) or hurt (added costs to consumers to buy items made safely)?

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #10
topolino
I don't mean those kind of gestures!
Not everything we eat needs to be healthy. Live a little!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzadi View Post
One of the reasons why work safety regulations exist now in the US is precisely because we also had a great, tragic disaster of our own where 146 women died on a fire. It's called the Triangle Factory Fire of 1911. The women died because they were trapped in the burning building, by hazards caused by managers who ignored basic fire regulations.

What needed to be changed and did change was by regulating and forcing how the manufacturers ran things. Change needs to happen at the root, not the end, consumer level.

You actually think that cutting profits for people who didn't give a jot about human lives and safety, in the first place, is going to make them spend what lesser dollars they get, on human safety? If they didn't care before, they aren't suddenly going to spend it when their budgets are squeezed. Human safety conditions would be the first areas to go.
There is a great PBS-TV documentary on it two years ago at the 100 anniversary of the fire. You can also read it on Wiki here: (all facts may or may not be correct)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangl...t_Factory_fire

And the best book on the tragedy is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Triangle-Fire-...words=triangle

Painstakingly researched and very well written. Definitely worth a read.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

No it won't but I can say I do purchase a lot of clothing from American Apparel either directly or from companies that print on their blanks. They are the most comfortable shirts I own and I believe all of their clothing is manufactured in the United States.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #12
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side

No. I don't plan on changing my clothes buying habits.

I get about 50% of my clothes from Goodwill, and the rest from Costco, Target, and Kohls. If the price is right, it fits me, and looks nice on me, I'll buy it. That's the criteria I use.

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #13
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerGirl84 View Post
No. I don't plan on changing my clothes buying habits.

I get about 50% of my clothes from Goodwill, and the rest from Costco, Target, and Kohls. If the price is right, it fits me, and looks nice on me, I'll buy it. That's the criteria I use.
Same here.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #14
NaLisa
DIS Veteran

I would love to be more conscientious in all my consumer habits, but it's just so logistically difficult and financially prohibitive.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #15
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Even if there were a worldwide movement to stop buying the clothes, I'm not sure what good it would do. How would being unemployed help these people?

I can see that the world community needs to approach this, but it's a human rights issue, not a consumer issue.

It's not about not buying from Bangladesh, it's about them-- or somebody-- demanding proper working conditions for the people there.

I just realized my ticker is wrong!! We leave July 29th!!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club We're going to the Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: