Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
VACamm
DIS Veteran

I will be at WDW for my 11th trip in June... and I am embarrassed to say that I have never Resort Hopped or been to either of the water parks!!! We always spend all of our time at our WDW resort, parks, or Downtown Disney.

Am I alone? lol

How do you fit in Resort Hopping? I would love to see some other resorts (stayed at all Moderates and Pop).

Last edited by VACamm; 04-25-2013 at 12:56 PM.
VACamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
joshswif
Mouseketeer

You're not alone! I've never resort hopped either, sad to say!

This trip we're going for 9 days...one of them being a "rest" day out of the parks. So after sleeping in a little and eating breakfast, I'll definitely be getting some resort hopping in and I can't wait!
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACamm View Post
How do you fit in Resort Hopping? I would love to see some other resorts (stayed at all Moderates ans Pop).
We've found the best way for us is to schedule a meal at a resort restaurant. We get there a little early, look around the resort first, eat and then look around the resort a little after the meal as well.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
VroomVroomLightning
DIS Veteran

We usually have a day somewhere in our vacation that is just meant for a "do as you please" day. We usually travel with a large group, so a day of doing what you want is nice. One of the easiest resort hopping things to do is to see the monorail resorts. Just hop on and off as you are done. We also like to go to a park, and wait for the first bus to come. Whichever that may be then we go there!
Old 04-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

We planned on checking out specific resorts during our last trip to see if we would like to stay there. It is amazing how much you can get a feel for a resort in spending a little while there, walking around, and having a meal. We were impressed with some and were able to cross some others off of our list.

As far as fitting it in, we would usually visit a park then head from the park to whatever resort we wanted to see. One day we hit all 4 parks and 4 different resorts in between, but that was an extreme case. We usually pick a resort to head to based on what's close and where we want to go. For example, we took a bus to Port Orleans and checked it out on the way to Downtown Disney, and hopped on the boat from POR to DTD. Knowing the transportation options helps a lot.

It is funny how much we enjoy "resort hopping". Now we consider it a big part of the fun during our trips, and in our minds it is all part of the fun of being at Disney, whether we're in a park or at a resort.
GrandCalifornian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
VACamm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VroomVroomLightning
We usually have a day somewhere in our vacation that is just meant for a "do as you please" day. We usually travel with a large group, so a day of doing what you want is nice. One of the easiest resort hopping things to do is to see the monorail resorts. Just hop on and off as you are done. We also like to go to a park, and wait for the first bus to come. Whichever that may be then we go there!
That sounds fun.... the next bus game

Unfortunately we are going for 10 days and all ADRs are made after MUCH discussion with the family and they are all in parks or Downtown Disney..... I might look around to see if any good ADRs are left for monorail resorts. I realy want to see the Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge resorts....
Old 04-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
VACamm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandCalifornian
We planned on checking out specific resorts during our last trip to see if we would like to stay there. It is amazing how much you can get a feel for a resort in spending a little while there, walking around, and having a meal. We were impressed with some and were able to cross some others off of our list.

As far as fitting it in, we would usually visit a park then head from the park to whatever resort we wanted to see. One day we hit all 4 parks and 4 different resorts in between, but that was an extreme case. We usually pick a resort to head to based on what's close and where we want to go. For example, we took a bus to Port Orleans and checked it out on the way to Downtown Disney, and hopped on the boat from POR to DTD. Knowing the transportation options helps a lot.

It is funny how much we enjoy "resort hopping". Now we consider it a big part of the fun during our trips, and in our minds it is all part of the fun of being at Disney, whether we're in a park or at a resort.
That is a good point.... I need to study up on the transportation options for sure!
Old 04-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimley1968 View Post
We've found the best way for us is to schedule a meal at a resort restaurant. We get there a little early, look around the resort first, eat and then look around the resort a little after the meal as well.
Exactly what we do....
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACamm View Post
I realy want to see the Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge resorts....
An easy way to get both of these in is to go from MK to CR (either by walking or the Monorail), then hop on a boat to WL. It is a very short boat ride across Bay Lake, and there are boats that run in a continuous loop between CR, WL, and Fort Wilderness.

Once you're done at WL you can take a quick bus trip (less than 5 min) back to MK or there is a boat that takes a little longer but is a prettier trip. You could also do the whole process in reverse, starting at MK with a boat ride to WL, then boat to CR, then monorail to wherever you'd like. There are lots of options, all of them fun!
GrandCalifornian is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: