Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2014, 02:43 PM   #1
disneybliss2
DIS Veteran

Which 1 of these 3 would you pick? Help us decide please!

'Ohana for the second time in the trip (both dinner), San Angel Inn, or Cape May Cafe clam buffet?

'Ohana for the second time in the trip
(It's our favorite restaurant & DH said he thinks it would be great to eat there twice. Though it's my favorite restaurant too, I'd rather keep it special eating there just once & have fun trying a restaurant we haven't eaten at yet.)

San Angel Inn
I want to try this place. The setting seems wonderful (my young daughters would love it) and I think we'd enjoy the food. DH thinks we can get authentic Mexican food in our hometown for a fraction of the price, so he's not wanting to go here. (We have a large Hispanic population in our town & we have authentic taquerias--not Tex Mex, but we never eat there--DH does some at lunch but it's mainly taco type offerings/carne asada, not meals, that he eats; we've never gone as a family).

Cape May Cafe dinner buffet
Since DH knows I'm not crazy about going to 'Ohana twice & he's not crazy about the idea of San Angel, though he's willing to go, he looked through the restaurant list and said he thinks Cape May's buffet sounded pretty good. I'm not so sure. With the exception of the salmon, shrimp, and cod, (DH also likes crab legs) we really wouldn't eat a lot of the other seafood offerings. I'm afraid we'd be stuck with bare-boned sides that don't seem that appealing...but I could be wrong & it may just be the place we need to try.

We'll be on the dining plan, so price isn't a factor. We're not looking to get the best bang for our dining credit buck, but the best meal.

So.....of these three options, which would you choose? Thanks for the help!!!

Last edited by disneybliss2; 01-12-2014 at 05:06 PM.
disneybliss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #2
Quin
DIS Veteran

Much as I like Ohana, I wouldn't repeat any restaurant during the trip (at least not for the same meal - breakfast and dinner can be worlds apart, even in the same location).

Price? Pretty much any restaurant at WDW, if you can get the cuisine at home you can get it for less $ at home. You have to kind of take that as a given. If you are on a Dining Plan it might help DH feel better, because a credit is a credit no matter what the price of the entrée is. I went to San Angel for the first time in 2013 and enjoyed it, but be sure that there are things that appeal on both the adult menu and the kids menu before you select this one.

Love Cape May but that's because I love crab legs and can't get them readily at home. If DH is the only one that will eat crab legs (does the rest of the family dislike them or just have no experience with them?) then it might not be as good a pick. They do have several meats besides the seafood. And a buffet does give everyone more leeway rather than being stuck with a single menu item that they end up disliking.

In part your choice should depend on where you are going to be that day. If you're going to be at Epcot the Biergarten in Germany has beautiful theming and a wide array of food choices; even picky eaters seem to do very well here. Coral Reef would also be a good choice with children - and like all WDW restaurants there is always a chicken dish and always a steak dish on the menu as well as seafood.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2014, 03:27 PM   #3
jimandami
DIS Veteran

I would choose San Angel Inn. Even if you can get good Mexican food at home, the setting is just wonderful and I think your kids would love it. It's one of our DS9 top 3 restaurants in all of Disney. Although we enjoy O'hana, I definitely wouldn't want to eat dinner there twice in one trip!
jimandami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:01 PM   #4
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybliss2 View Post
'Ohana for the second time in the trip (both dinner), San Angel Inn, or Cape May Cafe clam buffet?

'Ohana for the second time in the trip
(It's our favorite restaurant & DH said he thinks it would be great to eat there twice. Though it's my favorite restaurant too, I'd rather keep it special eating there just once & have fun trying a restaurant we haven't eaten at yet.)

San Angel Inn
I want to try this place. The setting seems wonderful (my young daughters would love it) and I think we'd enjoy the food. DH thinks we can get authentic Mexican food in our hometown for a fraction of the price, so he's not wanting to go here. (We have a large Hispanic population in our town & we have authentic eateries--not Tex Mex, but we never eat there--DH does some at lunch but it's mainly taco type offerings/carne asada, not meals, that he eats; we've never gone as a family).

Cape May Cafe dinner buffet
Since DH knows I'm not crazy about going to 'Ohana twice & he's not crazy about the idea of San Angel, though he's willing to go, he looked through the restaurant list and said he thinks Cape May's buffet sounded pretty good. I'm not so sure. With the exception of the salmon, shrimp, and cod, (DH also likes crab legs) we really wouldn't eat a lot of the other seafood offerings. I'm afraid we'd be stuck with bare-boned sides that don't seem that appealing...but I could be wrong & it may just be the place we need to try.

So.....of these three options, which would you choose? Thanks for the help!!!
You will get a lot of different opinions, but my choice would be Cape May. Cape May is one of our favorites and is a must do for us every trip. With that said, we aren't big seafood eaters, but we find plenty on the buffet to eat as there is a lot of variety, IMO.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #5
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead
Does anyone have any more secrets to add?

I'd eliminate Ohana first. IMO, there are way too many dining options to repeat any meal, esp. when you consider you would be getting the exact same food both times.

We're not really buffet fans. Even if we were, I've seen much bigger seafood buffets than Cape May. For example, Myrtle Beach buffets put it to shame. It does have it's fans though. If your DH refuses to try SAI, you should have a decent meal there.

That said, my vote goes to SAI. If you don't eat that type of food at home, it doesn't really matter that it's available. At least, to me it doesn't. Also, I know you said the food in your hometown isn't Tex-Mex, but if it's more like Northern Mexican this will be different. The atmosphere is great & the food is good. A word of warning... the atmosphere is aided by seating location. There are a few tables to the side near the restroom. I would tell them you're willing to wait for a table by the river. If that's not possible, tell them you'll take anything that isn't to the far right near the restrooms. Our one meal seated in that area was disappointing, due to the location. It's just not enjoyable when your view is of people entering & exiting a restroom.
(")_(")

tarheelmjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:12 PM   #6
disneybliss2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin View Post
Much as I like Ohana, I wouldn't repeat any restaurant during the trip (at least not for the same meal - breakfast and dinner can be worlds apart, even in the same location).

Price? Pretty much any restaurant at WDW, if you can get the cuisine at home you can get it for less $ at home. You have to kind of take that as a given. If you are on a Dining Plan it might help DH feel better, because a credit is a credit no matter what the price of the entrée is. I went to San Angel for the first time in 2013 and enjoyed it, but be sure that there are things that appeal on both the adult menu and the kids menu before you select this one.

Love Cape May but that's because I love crab legs and can't get them readily at home. If DH is the only one that will eat crab legs (does the rest of the family dislike them or just have no experience with them?) then it might not be as good a pick. They do have several meats besides the seafood. And a buffet does give everyone more leeway rather than being stuck with a single menu item that they end up disliking.

In part your choice should depend on where you are going to be that day. If you're going to be at Epcot the Biergarten in Germany has beautiful theming and a wide array of food choices; even picky eaters seem to do very well here. Coral Reef would also be a good choice with children - and like all WDW restaurants there is always a chicken dish and always a steak dish on the menu as well as seafood.
You're right, all restaurants at WDW will cost more, and we're on the dining plan (which I edited to add) so the cost is irrelevant. DH is the only one that has tried crab legs, but the rest of us would try them. We're game for trying new things. We don't like calamari, clams, scallops, or mussels so we were afraid there wouldn't be a lot of variety past that. My girls love buffets, because they like the idea of getting to try several things. Maybe this is our opportunity to try, and maybe like, the crab legs as well. Good to hear you had a good experience at Cape May.

I'll be interested to hear more people's thoughts.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:20 PM   #7
disneybliss2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandami View Post
I would choose San Angel Inn. Even if you can get good Mexican food at home, the setting is just wonderful and I think your kids would love it. It's one of our DS9 top 3 restaurants in all of Disney. Although we enjoy O'hana, I definitely wouldn't want to eat dinner there twice in one trip!
That's what I was thinking with my girls. I know they would love the unique setting, which to me adds to the experience and is part of the fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
You will get a lot of different opinions, but my choice would be Cape May. Cape May is one of our favorites and is a must do for us every trip. With that said, we aren't big seafood eaters, but we find plenty on the buffet to eat as there is a lot of variety, IMO.
Well, it's good to hear that there's still a lot of variety even without the seafood. Maybe I need to stop being so stubborn and try this place.

I knew I'd hear replies in favor of both. I'm glad (and surprised) that no one has chosen 'Ohana for a repeat on the same trip. Now I'm still torn between San Angel and Cape May. Decisions, decisions.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:21 PM   #8
joanchris
DIS Veteran

Definitely San Angel Inn. The setting is spectacular, the food very good. Cape May is very good, but, though there is food for everyone, I found I ate a lot of dessert on our last time there, because I'm not crazy about seafood, and the other offerings just didn't thrill me. For the price, I don't think it's worth it.
I would keep Ohana special. Twice in one trip might lessen that.
2008 May--Flower and Garden Festival, (offsite)
2005 Oct--Food and Wine Festival, Contemporary
1992 Carribean Beach Resort
1972 or 1973(?) Contemporary

Wishgirl's WISHtrip report
joanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:32 PM   #9
disneybliss2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanchris View Post
I would keep Ohana special. Twice in one trip might lessen that.
It's so funny that you said that. Those are the exact words I said to my husband!

Well, another vote for San Angel. This decision is so hard. I wouldn't do this, because I want the time together with my family, but my DH even suggested he and my oldest daughter go to Cape May to try it while my youngest and I go to San Angel and then we'd compare notes. I'll let the DIS experts weigh in and help tip us one direction or the other.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:46 PM   #10
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybliss2 View Post
I'm glad (and surprised) that no one has chosen 'Ohana for a repeat on the same trip.
We love Ohana, but I do agree with the others that I wouldn't go twice in 1 trip. With that said, I know how it feels to be torn between 2 places. As much as I look forward to making ADRs each trip, I always have a hard time choosing because we love trying new places, but we also have our favorites. Good luck with your decision.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:11 PM   #11
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Actually, in a couple of our 10 night trips we did eat dinner at 'Ohana twice! That's how much we both love it! No danger of it not remaining special to us when we only eat there once or twice a year!

Cape May is also one of our favorite places to go. DH loves the boiled shrimp and we both love the crab legs, fried shrimp and clam chowder - was actually seafood chowder last time we went, but we were able to get the clam chowder just by asking (they told us just to ask the trip before).
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:11 PM   #12
B-Ride
Getting My Disney Fix

We really like Cape May and there are other things to eat beside seafood - not just sides. They have lots of meat and pasta dishes as well.

If you are at Epcot that day you might want to give San Angel a whirl although we have never eaten there as the menu doesn't appeal to us as much as the atmosphere.
Disneyland Grand Californian 2014
B-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:50 PM   #13
Texas Barbie
Mouseketeer

I would actually go to ohana twice, just put as many days as possible between the visits. We went to San Angel last trip, and we looked at those menu a long time, trying to.figure out something we would eat. It wasn't what we expected at all. Cape May would be a second choice, because many seafood items don't do well on a steam table.
Texas Barbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:52 PM   #14
momof2minnies
DIS Veteran

Thumbs up

I vote for Cape May

Linda
2000 OKW First trip with the kids,2001 OKW First time for my parents,2002 Marriott Grande Vista/OKW,2003 MGV,2004 OKW,2005 March Disney cruise/SSR, July-MGV, 2007 CSR, 2008 Clearwater-day trip, Marathon 2009 OKW,Nov. 2009 CSR then the Magic,Marathon 2010 OKW,June 2010 AKL,Marathon 2011 OKW, Anniversary 2011 POFQ,Disney Dream+BC 2012,Disney Fantasy 2013,Anniversary 2013 POR, Jan 2014 OKW

4/08 First half marathon- Oleksak lumber- Ma., 2:23:35
10/08 Second half marathon-Applefest-Hollis,NH.,2:17:05
01/09 First full marathon- Disney-5:39:24
01/10 5K and Half marathon- with my brother- Disney-2:43:42
01/11 5k and Half marathon-Disney- 2:11:46
4/12 5k Castaway Cay on the Dream with Arynn
momof2minnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #15
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

San Angel. Would not want to go to the same place twice even though we love Ohana. And we are not fans of Cape May...blech! Not worth the cost (what? $45) for salads and mini desserts (though those desserts are yummy). The draw is the crab legs but they are so small...definitely not like those giants we see being pulled up on Deadliest Catch. They also have 1 fried seafood that is rotational (clams, shrimp or calamari...we've been on clam night-ICK and calamari night-not bad).

Last edited by lovin'fl; 01-12-2014 at 07:59 PM.
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: