Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #61
NaLisa
DIS Veteran
 
NaLisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,741

Quote:
Originally Posted by pls5286 View Post
I have just been approved for the gastric sleeve. My entire family has made changes already, even though they are not the ones that needed them. We are eating much healthier at home and my oldest son is preparing to go to water aerobics classes with me as soon as school is out so it will help his back.

I have tried many many times to loose weight and something will happen with my health and send me spiraling and the weight will come right back on.

I first approached this with my primary dr and he agreed with my laundry list of medical problems at 37, that the surgery will greatly benifit me. My neurologist, neurosurgeon and cardiologist are also very supportive.

I am ready for this lifestyle change so I can really enjoy the kids while they are still young! I miss being the me I used to be.
Best of luck to you!
__________________
Holding pattern
NaLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #62
gometros
WDWWDS Chief Weapons Inspector and Cruise Captain
Solemnly swears always to leave the tagging to the experts!! :p
 
gometros's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 7,458

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer

The surgery only addresses one aspect of the overall issue. The surgery doesn't change habits, compulsions, or anything else. It doesn't force anyone to become more active. All the counseling in the world won't really address the other aspects either, only the patient can truly address those aspects themselves. Counseling can help them get to the issues but it on them to actually make all the other lifestyle changes and stick with them for the rest of their lives. It isn't like there is a history of patients telling counselors or psychiatrists want they want to hear as opposed to the truth.

Far too often those other issues are not addressed and the surgery only becomes a short-term band-aid that doesn't work long term. Of course sometimes those other issues are addressed and the surgery is a success. Every patient gets to decide for themselves if the surgery will be a new life or just a temporary respite.
So what's is your point? We've already agreed that WLS is not a solution by itself. It's a tool and it all comes down to his the person getting WLS wields the tool that will determine how successful she or he will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pls5286
I have just been approved for the gastric sleeve. My entire family has made changes already, even though they are not the ones that needed them. We are eating much healthier at home and my oldest son is preparing to go to water aerobics classes with me as soon as school is out so it will help his back.

I have tried many many times to loose weight and something will happen with my health and send me spiraling and the weight will come right back on.

I first approached this with my primary dr and he agreed with my laundry list of medical problems at 37, that the surgery will greatly benifit me. My neurologist, neurosurgeon and cardiologist are also very supportive.

I am ready for this lifestyle change so I can really enjoy the kids while they are still young! I miss being the me I used to be.
Best of luck to you. I had the sleeve a year ago. If you need somebody to bounce things off of who has gone through it, feel free to PM me.
__________________
Sandy / @SandyCanetti / DVC '96
gometros is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #63
FireDancer
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 13,282

Quote:
Originally Posted by gometros View Post
So what's is your point? We've already agreed that WLS is not a solution by itself. It's a tool and it all comes down to his the person getting WLS wields the tool that will determine how successful she or he will be.
My point was exactly what you said, WLS is not a solution in itself and it comes down to other changes the patient makes. In the post you quoted I was answering a question albeit one conveyed with an emoticon.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #64
FergieTCat
No, I'm serious. And don't call me Shirley
Doug Wilson is a babe, but he can never take the place of my lust for George Clooney!
Has been known to escort squirrels across the street
 
FergieTCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Forest Hills, New York
Posts: 6,831

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
My point was exactly what you said, WLS is not a solution in itself and it comes down to other changes the patient makes. In the post you quoted I was answering a question albeit one conveyed with an emoticon.
Why do you care? Are you considering WLS?
__________________
Donna

Proud recipient of the FV Crazy Cat Lady Blue Ribbon

FergieTCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #65
ChristineNic
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middleburg, FL
Posts: 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
The surgery only addresses one aspect of the overall issue. The surgery doesn't change habits, compulsions, or anything else. It doesn't force anyone to become more active. All the counseling in the world won't really address the other aspects either, only the patient can truly address those aspects themselves.
Yes, the surgery only addresses some aspects of a very complex medical issue.

However, in my experience, the surgery helped me to overcome constant hunger (both physical and mental) and be satisfied with healthy portions of food. Because I had the physical saiety, I was able to learn to distinguish between actual hunger and "head" hunger, e.g. eating from habit because it's time for a meal; eating because I was bored, lonely, tired, depressed, or stressed; or eating because of thirst. I lost weight. I lost enough weight to resolve issues with sleep apnea, which consequently, helped to resolve long fatigue. Since I was not constantly fatigued, I became more active. As my activity increased, my energy increased and I started to exercise regularly. Regular exercise helped my knees, so I was no longer in pain. The increased activity and healthy diet lowered my blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol levels.

The surgery was the beginning point which made all of the other changes possible to attain and to maintain. I am very thankful that I had the surgery; because of the surgery, I was able to change my life.
ChristineNic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #66
FireDancer
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 13,282

Quote:
Originally Posted by FergieTCat View Post
Why do you care? Are you considering WLS?
I am participating in a discussion. Health and fitness topics interest me so I participate in the discussion about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineNic View Post
The surgery was the beginning point which made all of the other changes possible to attain and to maintain. I am very thankful that I had the surgery; because of the surgery, I was able to change my life.
And I think that is what it is designed to be, a new start. I think when WLS is used correctly, as you and many others here have used it, it is a good option. You perfectly illustrated all the advantages of being a healthy weight. How someone gets there and stays there isn't as important as doing it in my opinion.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #67
happygirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 18,180

Quote:
Originally Posted by pls5286 View Post
I have just been approved for the gastric sleeve. My entire family has made changes already, even though they are not the ones that needed them. We are eating much healthier at home and my oldest son is preparing to go to water aerobics classes with me as soon as school is out so it will help his back.

I have tried many many times to loose weight and something will happen with my health and send me spiraling and the weight will come right back on.

I first approached this with my primary dr and he agreed with my laundry list of medical problems at 37, that the surgery will greatly benifit me. My neurologist, neurosurgeon and cardiologist are also very supportive.

I am ready for this lifestyle change so I can really enjoy the kids while they are still young! I miss being the me I used to be.
Wishing you all the best!!!
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #68
Robinrs
DIS Veteran
 
Robinrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Atlanta, GA originally from Bklyn, New York
Posts: 41,565

Quote:
Originally Posted by pls5286 View Post
I have just been approved for the gastric sleeve. My entire family has made changes already, even though they are not the ones that needed them. We are eating much healthier at home and my oldest son is preparing to go to water aerobics classes with me as soon as school is out so it will help his back.

I have tried many many times to loose weight and something will happen with my health and send me spiraling and the weight will come right back on.

I first approached this with my primary dr and he agreed with my laundry list of medical problems at 37, that the surgery will greatly benifit me. My neurologist, neurosurgeon and cardiologist are also very supportive.

I am ready for this lifestyle change so I can really enjoy the kids while they are still young! I miss being the me I used to be.

Good luck!!
__________________

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #69
Robinrs
DIS Veteran
 
Robinrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Atlanta, GA originally from Bklyn, New York
Posts: 41,565

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
I am participating in a discussion. Health and fitness topics interest me so I participate in the discussion about them.



And I think that is what it is designed to be, a new start. I think when WLS is used correctly, as you and many others here have used it, it is a good option. You perfectly illustrated all the advantages of being a healthy weight. How someone gets there and stays there isn't as important as doing it in my opinion.
Health/fitness and losing 100 pounds are two different things. Same category, different experiences.

You may well be an expert on the first two but the last one... not.

It is so easy to preach when it's NOT your problem. Every single human being who is smart enough to turn on their laptops and participate online KNOWS the mantra. Eat better, exercise, you will get everything you need and want.

No one here is a child, everyone here KNOWS that.
__________________

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #70
LSmith
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,459

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinrs View Post
Health/fitness and losing 100 pounds are two different things. Same category, different experiences.

You may well be an expert on the first two but the last one... not.

It is so easy to preach when it's NOT your problem. Every single human being who is smart enough to turn on their laptops and participate online KNOWS the mantra. Eat better, exercise, you will get everything you need and want.

No one here is a child, everyone here KNOWS that.
Since when do you have to be an expert to have an opinion on the DIS? I see non experts on every thread weighing in their opinions.
LSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #71
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question
 
PrincessKsMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 12,191

Isn't this kind of liking asking why an alcoholic needs to go to meetings? Or why can't an alcoholic just control their drinking by drinking smaller portions? For me, you don't need alcohol to live, but you do need to eat. So it's liking asking an alcoholic to have 3 drinks a day, nothing more and spreading them out over the course of the day.

I'm fat. Have been for years. Why? Because of emotional issues, because some days it feels like I haven't been that skinny girl in so long that it's completely unattainable, because I haven't felt attractive or good about myself (physically) in years so why bother, because I'm lazy, because I like food too much, because it's there, because I'm afraid I won't be able to succeed, because some days I just don't care, because it's the role that others expect me to play, because every time I go to the gym and start watching what I'm eating my husband starts bringing home chips and ice cream, because some days it's just so hard....I could go on forever. None of them are excuses, but that doesn't make it any easier to overcome.

So please don't belittle the struggle by asking things like "why don't you just eat smaller portions?" because it is the same asking a depressed person "why don't you just be happy".
__________________
7/79 - Off site; 7/80 - Off site; 11/98 - Off site; 1/05 - CBR; 2/06 - ASMovies; 8/08 - ASMovies; 8/09 - CBR; 4/10 - CBR

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #72
FireDancer
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 13,282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinrs View Post
Health/fitness and losing 100 pounds are two different things. Same category, different experiences.

You may well be an expert on the first two but the last one... not.

It is so easy to preach when it's NOT your problem. Every single human being who is smart enough to turn on their laptops and participate online KNOWS the mantra. Eat better, exercise, you will get everything you need and want.

No one here is a child, everyone here KNOWS that.
You are right, I've never had to lose more than 10 pounds but that was because when I saw I was getting lazy and not living a healthy lifestyle I made changes and corrections. I assessed what I was eating and drinking, how much exercise I was getting, and started to read a lot more about the topics of health and fitness. After doing all of that I made changes and stuck with them. Had I waited longer and not made any changes I would have gotten heavier. I would have had to do the same things to lose the 100 pounds as opposed to the 10, I'd just have to wait a lot longer before I was back to what I should weigh but the cause and solution would have been the same, me.

When I see a problem I find a solution. I'm that way about everything in life, not just this topic. If that means changing a habit that means changing a habit and, like it or not, that is at the core of almost all weight loss whether it is 10 pounds or 300 pounds.

I like discussing these kinds of topics so I do. Considering my opinion on this topic (weight loss surgery) seems to match the opinion of many of those who have gone through it and succeeded I'm not sure why anyone is singling me out on this thread. I have never looked down on anyone who had to go the surgical route. My only reservation about it is those who don't go in ready to make all the changes needed along with the surgery.

Last edited by FireDancer; 04-26-2013 at 03:08 PM.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #73
NaLisa
DIS Veteran
 
NaLisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,741

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
You are right, I've never had to lose more than 10 pounds but that was because when I saw I was getting lazy and not living a healthy lifestyle I made changes and corrections. I assessed what I was eating and drinking, how much exercise I was getting, and started to read a lot more about the topics of health and fitness. After doing all of that I made changes and stuck with them. Had I waited longer and not made any changes I would have gotten heavier. I would have had to do the same things to lose the 100 pounds as opposed to the 10, I'd just have to wait a lot longer before I was back to what I should weigh but the cause and solution would have been the same, me.

When I see a problem I find a solution. I'm that way about everything in life, not just this topic. If that means changing a habit that means changing a habit and, like it or not, that is at the core of almost all weight loss whether it is 10 pounds or 300 pounds.

I like discussing these kinds of topics so I do. Considering my opinion on this topic (weight loss surgery) seems to match the opinion of many of those who have gone through it and succeeded I'm not sure why anyone is singling me out on this thread. I have never looked down on anyone who had to go the surgical route. My only reservation about it is those who don't go in ready to make all the changes needed along with the surgery.
I truly don't mean this snarky, but maybe you can look back over your posts on this thread and try to see how some of your comments came across as judgmental and/or superior. Even this one.
__________________
Holding pattern
NaLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #74
LSmith
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,459

Can someone please explain why when it comes to food addictions everyone is supposed to tread delicately and politically correctly and beat around the bush BUT if you are addicted to alcohol, drugs, bulimia, gambling, sex, tobacco, video games, etc. it's time for a serious intervention?

Why is food addiction treated differently when it is just as disabling?
LSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #75
Granny square
Always planning a trip!
 
Granny square's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,732

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSmith View Post
Can someone please explain why when it comes to food addictions everyone is supposed to tread delicately and politically correctly and beat around the bush BUT if you are addicted to alcohol, drugs, bulimia, gambling, sex, tobacco, video games, etc. it's time for a serious intervention?

Why is food addiction treated differently when it is just as disabling?
I think that all addictions are similar. And that people deserve to be treated with dignity regardless of their addiction. Snootiness isn't any more attractive than some of those issues. Lol, I'd take a day out with the crack addict who was my husbands BFF in grade school than some of the folks I see in print. But I usually am more comfortable with the sinners than the saints. and that is without any addictions except a tendency towards codependency.

As far as surgery a friend from church had Lapband 4 years ago that has helped her lose 147 pounds. Interestingly she says she never felt full until her surgery and correct fill levels. She also has to have remarkable steadfastness since it would be easy to eat around the band. It just works as a tool.

If a tool helps people whether weight loss surgery, Antabuse or vivetrol, or the patch all the more power to the people who use them.
__________________
wishing I was at the beach!
Granny square is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: