Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
DizBelle
CSI: Can't Stand Idiots
Slimy yet satisfying?

Weight loss surgery - does anyone REALLY need it?

I'm asking because I really don't know....

Is there truly anyone for whom diet and exercise won't work and therefore they have to have weight loss surgery in order to lose weight?

The point of weight loss surgery is to physically limit the amount of food one can take in. Food can also be limited just by not eating it. So why is surgery needed?

FTR - I know of 2 people that have had weight loss surgery. One died a few days later in the hospital and the other doesn't look like he's lost any weight (he may have actually lost weight but to my eye he looks about the same size).

Veni, vidi, Visa (I came, I saw, I shopped)

Some people should use a glue stick instead of chapstick.

====================================

DizBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

I actually know quite a few people who have had this surgery, including a family member.

The biggest issue (besides the health risks) is the hanging skin afterwards. A co worker of mine lost weight VERY quickly and her skin was hanging everywhere. The insurance would not pay for it so she had to dole out thousands of dollar to fix it.

My niece has the lapband. She lost LOTS of weight but tells no one she had it done, sort of like Starr Jones. She tells everyone exercise and lots of water Did she forget that her MOTHER is my big mouth SISTER?

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
Disneyland1084
OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
I'm not going to let that chickenhead nugget bother me
HEY!! Where is everyone?

My MIL got the lapband surgery, but still ate poorly and food she was to avoid. It stretched, so she had to have it removed. She then had gastric bypass, and still eats the wrong food. She really hasn't lost much. I love her, but she doesn't take care of herself.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
skylizard
DIS Veteran

I think there are extreme cases were it is necessary. Otherwise, I don't think it really solves the root of the problem in most cases.
I have a friend who had it done a few years ago and has lost a lot of weight. However, that person still makes poor eating choices. The lapband limits what they can eat, but said friend still choses to eat poorly (Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, McDs, etc). So instead of eating lots of unhealthy food, they are eating smaller amounts of unhealthy food.
skylizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
NaLisa
DIS Veteran

For morbidly obese people with serious health issues related to their weight and who have had difficulty losing weight for whatever reason, the benefits of the surgery are likely justified.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
SumWhrOvrThRanBo
Mouseketeer

Gastric Bypass patient here. It was the BEST decision I've ever made and the only regret I have is that I didn't decide to do it sooner. I've struggled with my weight since the 2nd grade-- I've tried diet & exercise -- I've done fad diets, diet pills, diet shakes, workout DVDs, gym memberships-- I've stuck with them and had little to no results-- at the time of surgery I weighed 313-- 2 years later the scale reads 167-- my ideal goal is 140-- I'd like to get there before my WDW trip in October.

Keith (daddy) Jayna (mama) Alyssa (17)
Ryan (15) Jacob (9) Nolan (7) Macy (06/15/12)
SumWhrOvrThRanBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
DizBelle
Slimy yet satisfying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylizard View Post
I think there are extreme cases were it is necessary. Otherwise, I don't think it really solves the root of the problem in most cases.
I have a friend who had it done a few years ago and has lost a lot of weight. However, that person still makes poor eating choices. The lapband limits what they can eat, but said friend still choses to eat poorly (Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, McDs, etc). So instead of eating lots of unhealthy food, they are eating smaller amounts of unhealthy food.
What kind of "extreme cases"?

Old 04-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

I don't think it is necessarily bad but also don't think it is the best approach. My biggest issue with the surgery is that it only addresses one aspect of the cause of the patient's obesity...eating too much. It doesn't teach them what they should be eating, address any emotional or psychological issues such as comfort eating, and doesn't address other lifestyle factors.

Losing a lot of weight should take time and should come from a lot of lifestyle changes. If these lifestyle changes are all done and, more importantly, stuck with for the remainder of your life, I do think most people will lose weight without surgery and keep it off long term. If a patient wants to speed up the process with surgery they can but if they ignore all the other issues and expect the surgery to be a catch all they will almost certainly end up gaining all the weight back.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
NaLisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumWhrOvrThRanBo View Post
Gastric Bypass patient here. It was the BEST decision I've ever made and the only regret I have is that I didn't decide to do it sooner. I've struggled with my weight since the 2nd grade-- I've tried diet & exercise -- I've done fad diets, diet pills, diet shakes, workout DVDs, gym memberships-- I've stuck with them and had little to no results-- at the time of surgery I weighed 313-- 2 years later the scale reads 167-- my ideal goal is 140-- I'd like to get there before my WDW trip in October.
Congrats and best of luck with those remaining unwanted pounds!
Old 04-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #10
DizBelle
Slimy yet satisfying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaLisa View Post
For morbidly obese people with serious health issues related to their weight and who have had difficulty losing weight for whatever reason, the benefits of the surgery are likely justified.
What kinds of difficulties?

Old 04-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #11
mckelvey72
Mouseketeer

Diet and exercise is definitely all you need....in addition to a HUGE amount of willpower and the desire to change your habits. I am not large but any means but wanted to lose 25 pounds prior to my Disney trip last year so I did P90X and a meal replacement shake called Shakeology. I changed some of my eating habits and I was successfull...in 90 days I had lost that 25 pounds and felt great. Since returning from the Disney trip, I did not make it a lifestyle change....and I gained it all back. Now onto my 2nd round.

If I understand correctly, the surgeries limit your intake of food...however if you eat the incorrect foods the surgery is not going to help.

I love P90X and am getting ready to do another round....after my broken ankle heals. But one thing I learned last year is that I can do it...but again, it is a lifestyle change and you have to have the desire to do it. Just look at Biggest Loser...it can be done. But a few of them have left the ranch and gained all the weight back cause they were not prepared to change their habits at home which is sad.

mckelvey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #12
skylizard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
I don't think it is necessarily bad but also don't think it is the best approach. My biggest issue with the surgery is that it only addresses one aspect of the cause of the patient's obesity...eating too much. It doesn't teach them what they should be eating, address any emotional or psychological issues such as comfort eating, and doesn't address other lifestyle factors.

Losing a lot of weight should take time and should come from a lot of lifestyle changes. If these lifestyle changes are all done and, more importantly, stuck with for the remainder of your life, I do think most people will lose weight without surgery and keep it off long term. If a patient wants to speed up the process with surgery they can but if they ignore all the other issues and expect the surgery to be a catch all they will almost certainly end up gaining all the weight back.
Well said
Old 04-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #13
DizBelle
Slimy yet satisfying?

Quote:
How did limiting food by sticking with a diet not work but limiting food by surgical change did? This is the part I don't understand...

Old 04-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #14
skylizard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Congrats!!
Old 04-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #15
DisReno
Mouseketeer

Most of the times, the underlying issue is not being addressed in surgery-which is addiction. Surgery cures the overeating for a time, but usually these men or women switch addictions.

My friend is in a chemical dependency recovery group and says that several woman have come into the group who had bypass surgery and are now alcoholics. They can't handle the alcohol, though, with their surgery, so even that has serious health consequences.

Overeating is not really about willpower-it's more about addictions and compulsions that need treatment.
DisReno is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: