Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #46
dunnhorn
I'd rather be at Castaway Cay

Okay, how's this for a reply...

I know you want to go for the deep discounted WDW deals but it really is a drag to be pampered in luxury on a cruise just to depart the ship and do WDW commando style...

Would you consider renting DVC points for the first week and staying in a savannah view studio at AKV? Or in any studio at BLT? If that doesn't work, a studio anywhere would be great (OKW, Beach Club, Boardwalk.) Take your FDH to Disney - you love it so, you KNOW you want to walk around in the bride and groom mickey hats and matching T shirts... You will regret it if you dont. If/when you guys have kids - and you take those kids - every time you see a newlywed couple, you will think about it.

Okay - do the parks commando, stay in a Value or a DVC rental, show him everything there is to see about the area, THEN get on the cruise relaxation style! We absolutely loved the Fantasy, but personally I don't think it would make that much of a difference if you did a B2B or the Fantasy. Here is my reasoning... YOU ARE ON YOUR HONEYMOON! There is a fair chance you may not be "out and about" exploring everything on your own - doing excursions, etc. but the reality is, you may feel like ordering nothing but room service for 3 days in a row.

SO, as much as I love the Fantasy (and it was the best vacation we have ever had in our lives!) I would say do the B2B, get 2 days at Castaway, and this way you can catch some of the shows, and bag some of the shows, hang out in the adult areas and check out the spa specials. You'll earn 2 cruise credits towards that illustrious GOLD status (which you'll get after 5 cruises.) The fact of the matter is that if you are this big of a Disney fan... you will be on this cruise booking another one. Take a look at my sig line - when we went on the Wonder, we did it as an "experiment" and if you had asked me the week before, I was 1,000% positive we'd never do another cruise again. Well - guess what?

So - here's my recommendation - Do the first week @ Disney. Doesn't matter where you stay - the best is yet to come. The magic is everywhere. Check out the new Art of Animation resort, or rent DVC points to stay in a deluxe for much cheap. To rent points go to the DVC_Rental group on the yahoo groups to find someone, or go through DVC Dave or something like that (although that is more expensive.) If you rent DVC points, I believe you can get on the meal plan as well without having to buy tickets.

Next, I'd do the B2B cruise on the Dream. The main reason is that you are honeymooning, and on the 2nd cruise you guys can catch whatever you missed on the first leg. Work with a travel agent to see if they can get you in the same cabin so you don't have to pack up and move (what a PAIN!) I would NOT upgrade to a family suite. Just settle in and enjoy. It's not worth the pain of moving. Also, a travel agent might be able to get you OBC. I would say to try to do whatever you could do to get a verandah, because it's totally worth it. Navigator's verandah fine - but verandah. I would totally kill all expenses on the first half (i.e. stay at a Value) to exchange that for a B2B verandah on your honeymoon. I would also recommend considering staying in the forward of the ship, because that is where the spa and adult pool is located. The bars and Cabanas are aft.

I would say also get on the DCL meet boards and sign up for the Fish Extender exchange. Tell them you are on your honeymoon - that would be so fun. If it's too much - just do FE for the second leg of your B2B.

Then, when you are on your second cruise, rebook a dummy cruise, and then when the new dates are announced in October, move your dummy date to a Fantasy cruise in the future, using a travel agent so you can get that OBC, and rebooking discount and rebooking OBC. You won't get a cheaper fare than the first couple of days the cruise dates are announced. Book an Eastern Carrib - it is fantastic. I recommend dates in mid to late May. Or, you could set it for your 2nd anniversary or something like that.

Okay, now a note about the spa on the Dream. I wouldn't necessarily prebook any of that. They have spa specials on embarkation day, and also on port days, and you will be able to get in. I WOULD however pre-purchase the spa pass that gets you into the special room with heated chairs, an incredible view and the funky showers and such. Also, consider prebuying photo credits as well because you will want to be buying all those pictures they take!

Personally, I wouldn't book any excursions in Nassau. Maybe get off the ship to go to the market, maybe not. If you do want to do an excursion, I would say anything at Blue Lagoon is great. We went to Atlantis and just didn't think it was all that. Besides - if you ever go on another DCL cruise out of Port Canaveral again, there is a fair chance you will end up going to Nassau.

For the cruise, remember you can decorate your door with MAGNETIC art (no tape!) so that would be great fun on your B2B. Let everyone know you guys are honeymooning!

I've given a huge list of ideas, so I hope some of them help. Best wishes, have a MAGICAL time and just know I'm envious!

Leslie Ann
Me, DH, DS 12, DD 10

DVC Homes: SSR, HH, BLT, BWV, VWL
Resorts visited: Every WDW resort except for Coronado and Art of Animation. I am boycotting the Poly due to lack of hot tub.

4 day Disney WONDER May '09.
4 day Disney DREAM April '11.
7 day Disney FANTASY Western May '12.
7 day RCCL OASIS OF THE SEAS Eastern April '13
4 day Disney MAGIC March'14

Looking forward to the DVC MEMBER CRUISE on the Disney DREAM in 8/14, and a 7 day ALASKAN cruise on the Disney WONDER in June '15.

Last edited by dunnhorn; 04-25-2013 at 12:21 PM.
dunnhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #47
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

By the way.....

On your cruise, get your steaks, but ask the CM to bring you 1 entree each night that they recommend for you both to share. Tell them just to surprise you and you will try it. Will add a lot of spice to your traditional steaks, and you might like something. Just tell the server "whatever you want to bring". I don't think you will be disappointed, and it is FREE!!!!!!!

If you are completely unhappy after the first 2 nights, you can cancel your request.

Let us know.

2014 - 3 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 1-Fantasy
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

Magic-6, Wonder-5, Dream-7, Fantasy-3
3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 8, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
(22) 7 Night Southern Caribbean - Magic 2014
(23) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #48
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

I also understand about food sensitivities. Don't underestimate the power of Probiotics in case you do want to sample some of their other items! And you can explain to them any allergies you have as well. They seem to be quite helpful.
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #49
Feisty Fairy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by knan74 View Post
You're right, it does!! I totally told my sister wrong last night as she asked the same thing lol ... I've been up all night studying and my brain is mush....i'm confusing it with the other one that goes out of Miami....anyways! I still can't do the fantasy cause I'll miss the first embarkment and the 2nd week of our honeymoon is where I have the BEST dinner itinerary ever at WDW, 7 am'ed at 180+, and I just put way too much work into it and I was gifted the Be Our Guest reservation with some Disney honeymoon magic, and it just doesn't fit... even though it does sail out of PC (and my sister is going to kill me bc she fought with me for an hour last night while she was taking her Disney bus home) that it was in PC and I insisted it wasn't! AHH! But her saying that with us vacationing all the time, booking the Fantasy for our 1 year anniversary while OB the B2B would be just as nice....she also argues that doing the Fantasy would really impair my abilities at WDW for that week given I'd lose all of my reservations and the prices would be so much higher...

It just doesn't work for the Fantasy no matter where it departs from, unfortunately But I got my future husband to agree to a 1 year anniversary cruise on it back in May, so I know that I'm going eventually...I guess that's why I'm not that crazy about going on it
now...
Quote:
Oh that makes me feel so much better about the gift card!

I know what you're saying about the parks and it would be a lot easier to let the "land" part go if :

a) I didn't have dining reservations that most Disney foodies would pay a few hundred bucks to have...
b) my sister didn't work there...and she is unable to come to my wedding so it gives me a chance to see her ...

and yes, I did get confused with my ships about Miami...but Fantasy still doesn't work as I really can't let go of my Disney reservations...

Letting go of WDW also means letting go of a PAID FOR dinner at Victorias and Alberts and 5 days of 3 sit down dinners at the best restaurants on property....I know that cruises are amazing, they're my favorite vacation...but I don't know many people who would give up the opportunity to do this at WDW either....I also have Cirque tickets, a Fantasmic package (oh..yay...sarcastically....jk), a fireworks cruise package, 2 tours bought for me, and 2 carriage rides through POR.....I'll never get a chance to see the park as a newlywed like this again and have this many opportunities...plus it means getting to see my sister who would be my maid of honor if the mouse wasn't keeping her from me...
PLUS I have been promised a Fantasy cruise for our 1 year anniversary... I think I can handle the wait....it would be different if it was a once in a lifetime opportunity on there.
Quote:
Putting up this post helped so much as I was able to talk myself OUT of things when I thought it would be making a decision between several things....I basically learned that

1. Yes, I have been up all night and got the Fantasy confused with the Royal Carribbean one we were considering last night (we have tried out several options in our head)....regardless of where it departs from, it's just not the right timing for this trip. Two days during peak season pricing in August doesn't cut it for me at WDW and I'm NOT not doing the 4 night Dream....

2. My dining reservations and having the deluxe plan PAID for for SIX days now (yes someone just purchased it) is a lifetime opportunity. We can eat a total of 18 sit down meals (more like 12 or 13 with 2credit places) and we have an entire V&A meal bought for us as well as several fun little cruises and carriage rides as well as Cirque...AND someone with some strong fairy dust contacted me after months of not being able to get a table at Be Our Guest and told me that they were about to make some Disney magic happen for me....and asked me if I was available for Friday evening on the 23rd because they would be saving me a place at the Beast's castle for anytime I preferred....HOW do I just let that go?

I think those two explain it all plus, like I've said...the future hubby already looked at Fantasy prices for the one year anniversary and promised we would book OB for it as well as the cruise out of Venice next year to book OB....so yes, it will suck waiting another year to get on the Fantasy...but who gets to say they did a B2B dream and ALL of that on their honeymoon? It's def the right decision....Cruising is my preferred vacay but tradition will not allow me to give the parks only a couple days of consideration, especially when they are so important to me...Yes, I've been there a gazillion times, rode that a gazillion times...but my fiancé's family has taken Universal trips his whole life where my family did WDW.... and I get to see his face as he rides TT, Soarin, and SO many more of my faves for the FIRST TIME!! And seeing him happy is worth 10,000 dollars of OBC
I personally would go 7 nights Dream followed by just WDW. Less transferring from one place to another. And that way you get to keep all your dining plans. Which resort have you decided on? I have not stayed but visited POR and it was beautiful also have you considered the Cabins at Fort Wilderness. The actual resort is beautiful with things like horse riding extra but awesome.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #50
Suz D
DIS Veteran

A few things

1. Re: B2B. Pros- fun on the last night of the first cruise knowing you aren't finished with the cruise, nice already knowing your SR host and servers on the first night if the second cruise
Cons- same food/entertainment on the second cruise, bummer if you aren't in the same stateroom for the second leg, the day between the cruises is kind of weird with nothing open and having to attend safety drill again etc.

2. Definitely give serious thought to POR. It's such a romantic resort and so small that it just feels way less hectic. Stay away from values. We are totally value resort people but NOT on a honeymoon.

3. What about getting a place on the beach for a few days between the cruise and WDW? Do the 4 night on August 11th, somewhere lovely and relaxing on the beach, then WDW.

4. You could sail two different cruise lines. 4 nights with Disney and then 3 or 4 with another less expensive line and sail concierge?
Suz D is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: