Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #16
knan74
Kristin

TBH, the budget really isn't that big of a deal for us....I know it sounds bad and I hate saying it, but fiancι got a huge promotion last year (he's a software engineer) and he put aside 5 digits for it...so it's really not a huge deal at all....I just don't want to be so extravagant that I look back and regret spending so much. And as for the Disney gift cards, we have a wedding of almost 400 people and with it being the only thing on the registry and Disney's registry as well (I forgot about that and just looked and have over 1,000 dollars in gifts for the cruise and WDW), I know that it will be there...it's just weird knowing there's that tinnnny little chance that no one gets you a wedding gift...LOL.

So to be honest, we aren't really planning around money...we are more so "planning around a two week schedule that doesn't make us feel like huge money wasters and start off our marriage feeling crappy about spending money that we didn't feel was worth it".... We actually looked at non-Disney honeymoons and almost booked one for 16,000...so it's not a big deal at all, I'm just trying to be a good wife and find some savings SOMEWHERE so I can say "here, here, look!" hahaha, just kidding

September isn't an option as I am in grad school. My CM sisters, both on WDW and DL sites, said that Disney is really pushing the 18th of August this year as not being a drop off in sales so they said they would be shocked if the fall deal buster didn't affect me...and TBH, the rates are so nice then that it doesn't matter if it does. We also have each day of dining on our registry, and so far we have 5 days of deluxe dining bought for us (and if we don't go to WDW, it'll be transferable)

We also nearly always vacation in September but are only taking a 4 day one this year because of our long honeymoon in August...we are going to St. Lucia then....but because I'm a graduate student, I just really don't want to do part of my honeymoon during the school year especially because I'm a therapist and wouldn't be able to be reached for a long amount of time... I would just be way too stressed to enjoy it. And I'm off the entire summer (yay!) with no work or school at all to plan the wedding and relax and go to Yosemite in July, and the fairy tale castle we are getting married in had one available date between 2013 and 2015 and it is August 10th I also start school back on Labor Day so the timing is just too perfect for us to try to do anything else unfortunately

But we travel a lot so we could technically still be celebrating when we are in St. Lucia in September and in Bora Bora in November! I was also shocked the last couple of years in September about how much more crowded it's gotten since they started hitting them hard with the dining deals... both sisters used to work at WDW at the same time and they said that it wasn't until November that they realized the summer was over because of the September deals running into the MNSSHP and then they had a nice three weeks then HOLIDAYS! .... There used to be "amazing" times to go to WDW, but now it seems like it's crowded whenever. Maybe I just changed my mind after talking to them...the sister that works at DL now said when she worked at Magic Kingdom, she compared queue lines over the course of a year, every day at the same time outside of her building and at 2:00, it was the worst at Christmas and New Years, but on the lowest attendance day of the year, it was only 20 minutes shorter at 2:00.
As long as I get the nice prices and I'm out of there by December 20th and not taken there before January 2nd, I'm fine...I just only get one WDW honeymoon...

and so rides aren't really my worry....it's dining. So going when there's free dining would be a nightmare as I've always had issues changing ressys when those are going on...as of now, I have every restaurant I want from the 19th-24th so that's a huge thing too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jey12 View Post
I don't have any advice on longer vs. shorter cruises. I think one day on a DCL ship is better than none and you will have a nice time on either one. As for your budget I would strongly recommend you stay within what you can afford and plan on $0 as wedding gifts in the form of Disney gift cards. Will you get some as a gift? More than likely but planning around money you might or might not have is going to set you up for disappointment in the end. If you stay within your own budget any gift card you receive as a present will be a huge bonus. Depending on how much the gift cards come to you can then use it to upgrade rooms, add on services and other things.

Also is going in September an option at all? DCL prices are lower, WDW is offering free dining (usually), and the crowds are lower. In my experience. When DH and I were married we waited a month between the wedding and honeymoon. Married in Aug, and vacationed in Sept. There were many benefits to doing this. 1. We had another month of paychecks to pay for extras. 2. We were able to tie up loose ends with the wedding, such as thank you notes, ordering pictures, resting from the exhaustion the last few weeks leading up to a wedding causes, and about 100 other things you don't think about. 3. Planning a wedding is time consuming as is planning a trip. Breaking the two up to be a month apart allowed me to focus on one thing at a time. 4. The best part, we weren't rushed the night of, or the day after the wedding to hurry up and do all of these things because we had a plane to catch. 5. As I've said already, it's cheaper to vacation in Sept. than it is in Aug. Meaning you have more funds available to do the things you normally wouldn't.

Either way have a great time and congrats.

UPDATED: Aug 11 & 15- Dream BTB w/Concierge Honeymoon!

1988, 1992, 1993, 1994- Offsite--- May 1996-Contemporary (Main) --- Feb 2003- Carribbean Beach- Jamaica (Universal Dance Association National Championship) ---Jul 2005- Offsite (20th Birthday- July 4th, 2005)--- Aug 2006- Contemporary- Garden Bldg--- May 2009- All-Star Sports---Jul 2011- All-Star Music--- Aug 2011- Port Orleans French Quarter--- Dec 2011- Old Key West---Aug 2013- 4 Night Bahamas-DCL Dream---Aug 2013- USF/IoA/SW--Aug 2013- Coronado Springs (Honeymoon!!!)

Disney Sister 24- CM/DCP- WDW-May 2011- Jan 2012
Disney Sister 23- CM/DCP- WDW-May 2011- Jan 2012---DLR- Aug 2012-Present
knan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #17
knan74
Kristin

Love the suggestion....would you still suggest it knowing that

a) we order the same thing basically every night anyway
b) we won't get off for the ports as we have been to all of them
c) we already have very hard to get ressys for the 2nd week at WDW...
d) we are cruising mainly for the boat and experience...so if we aren't getting off at the ports and don't care about the menus, would it really be worth it to drive 3 hours for a ship that has a few differences but is essentially the same?

Thank you so much for your post...as I had considered the Fantasy more and more but realized the above points as well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justacruiser View Post
If I had $9K, I would keep the August 11, 2013 7A with the 4 Day Dream ($2,400). That would get you off the ship on the morning of the 15th. I would book two nights at WDW and go to the parks or what ever for those two days. Limit your budget to around $1,000-$1,400 for the two days. Should be easy enough. On the morning of the 17th, get up and get back to port for the Fantasy 7-night Western, Category 5D ($4,175). You get have 11 days worth or cruising with different ports, talent, menus and still get two days in at WDW, all under the $9K.

1988, 1992, 1993, 1994- Offsite--- May 1996-Contemporary (Main) --- Feb 2003- Carribbean Beach- Jamaica (Universal Dance Association National Championship) ---Jul 2005- Offsite (20th Birthday- July 4th, 2005)--- Aug 2006- Contemporary- Garden Bldg--- May 2009- All-Star Sports---Jul 2011- All-Star Music--- Aug 2011- Port Orleans French Quarter--- Dec 2011- Old Key West---Aug 2013- 4 Night Bahamas-DCL Dream---Aug 2013- USF/IoA/SW--Aug 2013- Coronado Springs (Honeymoon!!!)

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #18
knan74
Kristin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTrisha View Post
Then I would stick with the 4 night Dream and then WDW and everything else. I think you'll get a lot more bang for your buck at WDW for $1900 than the 3 night cruise.
I agree about WDW. And even more bang spending 3-4 night offsite and getting a flex pass to Universal and Sea World....

Old 04-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #19
knan74
Kristin

That's exactly my dream combo, like others have suggested!! I just don't know if I want to only spend 2 days at Disney at what is still considered "summer days" at the high rates and then drive 3 hours to Miami to board a ship that's exactly like the one I just got off of essentially considering that we could care less about the ports...like a B2B on the Dream and a 7 night on the Fantasy are virtually the same to us...we like CC but we've been everywhere else...might as well be driving 3 hours for a cruise to nowhere that I could get an hour away :-/

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
If there is room on the next cruise, you could book it onboard. If you see a *GT rate pop up before then, I would grab that though.

I would recommend the Dream/WDW/Fantasy combination, though not necessarily get a 5D to drop the price to allow for tips/spa treatments.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #20
calismic
Mouseketeer

If I could spend 11 days on 2 different Disney Ships I would do it in a heartbeat. I'm not a port person either and would still prefer 7 days on the Fantasy. There is always meat and potatoes on the menu and BELIEVE ME, if you want to eat the exact same thing every night the servers will make damned sure you do. =)
I have an obsession with mashed potatoes and even though it was on the menu only once on my last cruise, our server had mashed potatoes for me every night. They are fantastic!

calismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #21
davidls
DIS Veteran

I have to agree with everyone on here - if at all possible go for the 7 day cruise on the Fantasy. It seems like that is not an option, so, then I would do a B2B on the Dream. I would decide on a stateroom you want for the B2B. Because after your first leg of the B2B if you are not in the same stateroom for both you will have to pack up everything to have it moved to your new stateroom for the next leg of the B2B. If you have the same stateroom for both you can leave everything in the stateroom and not worry. Just remind your stateroom host/hostess that you will be keeping the stateroom for both cruises. A 3 or 4 day cruise is just not long enough to be able to see much at all on board the ship. My wife and I did a B2B on the Dream and we loved it, I know you and your new hubby will too. HAPPY CRUISING!!!!

Our 3rd & 4th Disney Cruise - 4 Day & 3 Day Bahamas "Back 2 Back Cruise" - Disney Dream - Sept. 2011
Our 5th Disney Christmas Cruise - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean - Disney Fantasy - December 2012
We Are
GOLD Now - Our 6th Disney Cruise - 14 Day Cruise - Panama Canal Crossing - Disney Wonder - Sept 2014

davidls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #22
knan74
Kristin

you are SO right! and the thing is, we go on vacations a lot to the Bahamas and the carribbean and we usually sit around and do nothing...so when thought about our honeymoon, we decided we wanted that to be available but we want jam-packed days of adventure...but Disney is perfect because you can essentially have both, depending on your mood...

I'm so glad I made this post because I have talked myself out of several options...

Right now I'm LEANING towards a B2B on the Dream Sunday through Sunday, a day at Universal and IoA, and then 6 days of WDW...when people started talking about going to the Fantasy for a new menu, I realized how happy I am with every single restaurant I booked for WDW (and even got a special "happy honeymoon" surprise ressy at Be our Guest)....I really can't pass that up, I don't think...

Now...how should I go about doing the B2B? We have already decided to cancel the current cruise next week and then immediately rebook with a local travel agency for OBC and a much cheaper fare than when we booked.... should I book the B2B now?? When would be the best time to do it go get optimal fares? Is one of the best benefits to a B2B not worrying about switching rooms so much that it's the primary concern when booking the 2nd one?? Also, what would you guys consider being an "exceptionally good" per night rate on the Dream? It it worth waiting til I'm onboard and then be ready to take whatever stateroom is available on August 15? It wouldn't be the end of the world if it were full as we could probably deal with doing the second sailing later....Or would paying for it now be worth the security of knowing the plan ahead of time? I feel like cutting it too close corrupts the reason for doing a B2B to begin with and adds a lot more headache...

I've also ruled out concierge....no reason for that. May keep my WDW ressy at Coronado Springs....but I also go back and forth with that and POR.... I also have one hotel I've never stayed at in WDW and it's Pop Century...and I hear amazing things about it...is it one to try while on my honeymoon or wait? Thank you guys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post
I would not forget your dream of at least a day or two running around the parks with those adorable newlywed ears on. Doesn't have to be a huge part of it, and if you have seen so much, just hit your favorites, no need to wear yourself out.

A 7 day DCL and a few WDW days would be the Disney Dreamer's honeymoon of a lifetime. There are nice things like Raglan Road to do on land at night as well.

I love it all. That's my vote, if it counts!

Who doesn't think EPCOT or MK at night with the gorgeous lights isn't beautiful and romantic? The cruise it great. But it's a ship. It's still great, but you can ony walk around it a few times and go up on deck so much. Experience both and what you love together.

I just really like land and sea! (Not like a full week of land, unless you want to, but at least a little!) And a 7 Day DCL sounds great! (As much as I loved my 3 day + 1 Land day, I know you will have an amazing honeymoon.)

Oh yeah. It's your honeymoon. Don't chock it soooo full of stuff. Have a nice time relaxing together too!

Old 04-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #23
knan74
Kristin

Thank you very much! Yes I'm leaning towards the B2B.... I'm going to try for the same room but it may not happen. Having family members that are CMs though, I know that Disney makes it easy for basically anything to happen so I'm not sweating it. Right now I have a guaranteed 7a (but not a last minute GT) and will be given a stateroom at 45 days out....so I'm waiting to see if there's an upgrade or a verandah suite...if I cancel the first one and rebook it like I'm planning on, I will probably fall pretty far back on the list to get upgraded so I will just do 7a again for the 2nd cruise and then call at the 45 day mark of the first cruise....everyone agree that that's doable??

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidls View Post
I have to agree with everyone on here - if at all possible go for the 7 day cruise on the Fantasy. It seems like that is not an option, so, then I would do a B2B on the Dream. I would decide on a stateroom you want for the B2B. Because after your first leg of the B2B if you are not in the same stateroom for both you will have to pack up everything to have it moved to your new stateroom for the next leg of the B2B. If you have the same stateroom for both you can leave everything in the stateroom and not worry. Just remind your stateroom host/hostess that you will be keeping the stateroom for both cruises. A 3 or 4 day cruise is just not long enough to be able to see much at all on board the ship. My wife and I did a B2B on the Dream and we loved it, I know you and your new hubby will too. HAPPY CRUISING!!!!

Old 04-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #24
Ana~n~Joseph
I cried like a baby when my 12 month old son met Mickey for the first time

I would do the first few days in Disney World staying at a deluxe resort and then a 7-night Fantasy cruise. I think I saw you mention that you would have to drive to Miami for the Fantasy..it actually sails out of Port Canaveral (45 min away from WDW) ..unless something has changed and I missed it. I think there's so much stuff to do onboard that you don't have to worry about getting off in the ports if you don't want to.

You said you weren't too worried about rides and that you would focus on food and shows so crowds shouldn't be that big of a worry I would think. Also, with a good plan and arriving at the parks at opening, you can get a lot of stuff done even if it's Christmas week (been there, done that )

Good luck!

Dec ‘95 – ASMusic; Dec ‘96 – ASMusic; Dec ‘97 – offsite; Dec ‘98 – ASMusic; Dec ‘99 ASMovies ; Aug ‘02 – ASMusic ; Jan ‘06 – CBR (Honeymoon); Sept ‘06 – Pop; Nov ‘06 – ASMusic; March ‘07 – POR; Sep ‘07 – Pop; Sept '07 - DLP; Feb ‘08 – Pop; Sept ‘08 – CSR; Jan ‘09 – Pop; Jan’ 09 – CR Club; March ‘10 – Boardwalk; Sept ‘10 – CSR; May ‘11 – CR; Sept '11 - AKL; Dec '11 - AKL Club; Dec '11 - Christmas Cruise - Disney Dream; September 2012 - AKL w/ BFF - November 2012 - Pop w/ DS + Mom & Disney Dream; April 2013 Disney Magic - Coming Up: October 2013 - AKL-Kidani - ToT 10 miler; Dec 2013 - Wilderness Lodge; Feb 2014 - Disney Dream & AKL/BWV; Aug 2014 - Disney Magic Med; Sept 2014 - BLT, AKL & Disney Dream w/ BFF; Jan 2015 - Pop Century; October 2015 - Wine & Dine Half; Nov 2015 - Disney Wonder;
Ana~n~Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #25
knan74
Kristin

LOL yesss this I know...I just have a hard time justifying the almost 7 hours roundtrip in possibly a rental car for it.... CM Sister 1 has cruised the Dream 4x and the Fantasy 3x and CM Sister 2 has done both 3x...and when I asked them, they said "NOO" before I could even finish... the one that still lives in Orlando said that she loves the Fantasy, it's amazing....but she can't justify driving herself 3x as far to get on it when the Dream is in her backyard. Her advice was: "This is your honeymoon.....yes, both ships are amazing and you need to see them both someday....but you vacation several times a year and your honeymoon is NOT the time to spend that much time driving to it. Stay on the Dream and get to know your staff really well and let them help you make a B2B incredibly more special every night instead of packing your stuff up three or four times during your honeymoon and spending that many hours in a car! Book the fantasy onboard the Dream and be happy knowing you will spend your 1 year anniversary there!"

Copy and pasted that....anyone agree with her?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismic View Post
If I could spend 11 days on 2 different Disney Ships I would do it in a heartbeat. I'm not a port person either and would still prefer 7 days on the Fantasy. There is always meat and potatoes on the menu and BELIEVE ME, if you want to eat the exact same thing every night the servers will make damned sure you do. =)
I have an obsession with mashed potatoes and even though it was on the menu only once on my last cruise, our server had mashed potatoes for me every night. They are fantastic!

Old 04-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #26
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

You keep saying Miami. Why would you go there? The Fantasy is out of Port Canaveral with the Dream.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #27
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Why do you think the Fantasy is sailing out of Miami? Both the Dream and Fantasy are sailing out of Port Canaveral. That's 1 hour vs. 4 to Miami from Orlando.

I know you're attached to WDW, but for a honeymoon I would spend as much time on the ship(s) as physically possible. I never sail for the ports or the food (except for the fact that I don't have to worry about the menu prices) and would happily take a cruise to nowhere every time—there really is that much to see and do onboard. Even an inside room is like being at a Deluxe resort. To me the Parks mean crowds and lines and excessive, persistent sweating... none of which I want on my honeymoon. And yes, your family is right that Disney is making a concerted effort not to have a low or high season in terms of capacity. For August, I would absolutely choose ships over parks without hesitating.

FWIW, we also did the Disney honeymoon registry for a guest list of about 120 and ended up with over $2500 on our registry card. Most of it was purchased the day of the wedding, so I got quite a shock when I got onboard and Guest Services told me how much there was, LOL!
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #28
knan74
Kristin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana~n~Joseph View Post
I would do the first few days in Disney World staying at a deluxe resort and then a 7-night Fantasy cruise. I think I saw you mention that you would have to drive to Miami for the Fantasy..it actually sails out of Port Canaveral (45 min away from WDW) ..unless something has changed and I missed it. I think there's so much stuff to do onboard that you don't have to worry about getting off in the ports if you don't want to.

You said you weren't too worried about rides and that you would focus on food and shows so crowds shouldn't be that big of a worry I would think. Also, with a good plan and arriving at the parks at opening, you can get a lot of stuff done even if it's Christmas week (been there, done that )

Good luck!
You're right, it does!! I totally told my sister wrong last night as she asked the same thing lol ... I've been up all night studying and my brain is mush....i'm confusing it with the other one that goes out of Miami....anyways! I still can't do the fantasy cause I'll miss the first embarkment and the 2nd week of our honeymoon is where I have the BEST dinner itinerary ever at WDW, 7 am'ed at 180+, and I just put way too much work into it and I was gifted the Be Our Guest reservation with some Disney honeymoon magic, and it just doesn't fit... even though it does sail out of PC (and my sister is going to kill me bc she fought with me for an hour last night while she was taking her Disney bus home) that it was in PC and I insisted it wasn't! AHH! But her saying that with us vacationing all the time, booking the Fantasy for our 1 year anniversary while OB the B2B would be just as nice....she also argues that doing the Fantasy would really impair my abilities at WDW for that week given I'd lose all of my reservations and the prices would be so much higher...

It just doesn't work for the Fantasy no matter where it departs from, unfortunately But I got my future husband to agree to a 1 year anniversary cruise on it back in May, so I know that I'm going eventually...I guess that's why I'm not that crazy about going on it
now...

Old 04-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #29
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

FWIW, the Fantasy is out of Port Canaveral, not Miami...
Old 04-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #30
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

So what did you decide? Sail on the 3 or 4 day Dream and do your Land WDW? If you have a choice, definitely don't do less than a 4 day Dream!

It's a great trip! Especially if you book the Fantasy while you are on it and don't have to come home without one booked and have the no more boat blues...
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: