Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
cheerupem0kidx0x
Earning My Ears

Help me decide!

We are going for 6 days (4 days in park) in September hopefully with free dining. Unless I can talk DH into adding 1 more day and then we can have 2 days at MK or 2 days at Epcot. Last time we went we were on somewhat of a budget (no free dining plan, we paid OOP) and packed snacks, ate off site a few times, and did some CS. We did eat at TRex, Sci Fi, 50s Prime Time Cafe, Via Napoli, Planet Hollywood, and Rainforest Cafe. The only one I really am dying to go back to is Trex because the Paleozoic Chicken sandwich I had was amazing lol and I have been craving it ever since! This time if we have free dining I definitely want to take advantage and do all the character meals and expensive places that we would never want to pay for OOP. We are not really breakfast people and probably wont make it to rope drop any of the days. Last time we planned on rope drop every day and the only day we made it was the day we had to be there for our YES program class. We are more stay til closing time and eat a big meal for late lunch/dinner type. Sorry this will be long lol. Here is what I have so far.

Wed Sept 25-Driving in from NC, probably will get there early enough to have a dinner. Debating on either Chef Mickeys or Trex. Trex was our first meal last time we went and we all loved it. But it would be fun to start off with character meal too...I was also thinking one of the dinner shows might be fun to start with but thatd be 2 TS credits. Is it worth it?

Thurs Sept 26-Spend the day at Epcot. I made dinner reservations for Akershus. Definitely want to do some kind of princess character dining for DD4. Then I planned on spending some of our snack credits at the booths that I read will be open for a "cast member preview" day, the day before the Food & Wine festival officially starts. And maybe using a CS credit if we get too hungry with just snacks. But there are about 10 other TS places I would love to eat here too! Teppen Edo, Le Cellier, Coral Reef, Biergarten, Garden Grill, La Hacienda de San Angel, Rose & Crown...

Fri Sept 27-Hollywood Studios day. I booked the Fantasmic Dinner package with Mama Mia. Im not overly thrilled about it. I have read mixed reviews about the food. Do we need Fantasmic reserved seating? I was just worried because there is only 1 show that night. Last time we went there were 2 shows, we went to the latest one and had amazing seats and only stood in line maybe 30-45 mins before showtime. It was our favorite show so we definitely want to go again. I wouldnt be upset if we dont have the best seats like we did before, but I dont want to end up missing it if it is packed. If we dont do the dinner package I think we would probably use CS credits here cause Id rather use my TS credits to try somewhere new than eat at 50s or Sci Fi again and none of the other TS places there sound that fun to me.

Sat Sept 28-Magic Kingdom day-I know its not a recommended day on easywdw but we really want to see the MSEP and wishes again. And its the only night that really worked out for us to go and see both of them. We were planning on trying to eat at BOG for lunch since dinner reservations are not gonna happen. This is the day I am most in debate about though...I have a reservation for Crystal Palace breakfast at 810, it would be nice to get in early but like I said we are not morning people or breakfast people really. Then I was thinking about a meal at CRT, cancel Akershus and eat somewhere else in Epcot, but I dont know if it is really worth 2 credits when we can do Akershus for 1 and DD4 isnt really gonna care as long as there is princesses she will be happy. So the other idea was to skip breakfast, do BOG lunch, and then do Chef Mickeys or 1900 park fare for dinner. If we get early dinner reservations for one of them, should that give us time to eat and get back over to MK in time to get a good spot for the parade and fireworks? We want to have good park time too though, so my third (or whatever we are on now lol) option for the day is to just do CS meals and have more park time.

Sun Sept 29-AK day. Last time we were here we didnt eat any of the food there We had YES program class that morning then as soon as it was done long story short my friend who came with us ran out of gas on the way to meet us there, so we had to leave and help her around lunch time. By then we were starving so we just ate at TGIFridays and then came back to the park and didnt eat again til later that night after we left. I was super disappointed cause the food at Flame Tree BBQ and Yak & Yeti smelled amazing. So I definitely want to eat at both, probably just CS Yak & Yeti. Eat one for lunch and one for dinner. Was also considering eating somewhere in DTD or at one of the resorts late that night if we have any TS credits left. Maybe Trex if we didnt go the first night or Wolfgang Puck. But idk if we will still be hungry after 2 CS meals.

Mon Sept 30-Come home If we happen to have a TS credit left and havent done Chef Mickeys yet was thinking of doing a breakfast here before we go. or 1900 Park Fare.

I hate making decisions!!! I wish we could just spend like 2 weeks here so I can eat everywhere I want!
Old 04-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
flinkerfrosch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerupem0kidx0x View Post
We are going for 6 days (4 days in park) in September hopefully with free dining. Unless I can talk DH into adding 1 more day and then we can have 2 days at MK or 2 days at Epcot. Last time we went we were on somewhat of a budget (no free dining plan, we paid OOP) and packed snacks, ate off site a few times, and did some CS. We did eat at TRex, Sci Fi, 50s Prime Time Cafe, Via Napoli, Planet Hollywood, and Rainforest Cafe. The only one I really am dying to go back to is Trex because the Paleozoic Chicken sandwich I had was amazing lol and I have been craving it ever since! This time if we have free dining I definitely want to take advantage and do all the character meals and expensive places that we would never want to pay for OOP. We are not really breakfast people and probably wont make it to rope drop any of the days. Last time we planned on rope drop every day and the only day we made it was the day we had to be there for our YES program class. We are more stay til closing time and eat a big meal for late lunch/dinner type. Sorry this will be long lol. Here is what I have so far.

Wed Sept 25-Driving in from NC, probably will get there early enough to have a dinner. Debating on either Chef Mickeys or Trex. Trex was our first meal last time we went and we all loved it. But it would be fun to start off with character meal too...I was also thinking one of the dinner shows might be fun to start with but thatd be 2 TS credits. Is it worth it?

Thurs Sept 26-Spend the day at Epcot. I made dinner reservations for Akershus. Definitely want to do some kind of princess character dining for DD4. Then I planned on spending some of our snack credits at the booths that I read will be open for a "cast member preview" day, the day before the Food & Wine festival officially starts. And maybe using a CS credit if we get too hungry with just snacks. But there are about 10 other TS places I would love to eat here too! Teppen Edo, Le Cellier, Coral Reef, Biergarten, Garden Grill, La Hacienda de San Angel, Rose & Crown...

Fri Sept 27-Hollywood Studios day. I booked the Fantasmic Dinner package with Mama Mia. Im not overly thrilled about it. I have read mixed reviews about the food. Do we need Fantasmic reserved seating? I was just worried because there is only 1 show that night. Last time we went there were 2 shows, we went to the latest one and had amazing seats and only stood in line maybe 30-45 mins before showtime. It was our favorite show so we definitely want to go again. I wouldnt be upset if we dont have the best seats like we did before, but I dont want to end up missing it if it is packed. If we dont do the dinner package I think we would probably use CS credits here cause Id rather use my TS credits to try somewhere new than eat at 50s or Sci Fi again and none of the other TS places there sound that fun to me.

Sat Sept 28-Magic Kingdom day-I know its not a recommended day on easywdw but we really want to see the MSEP and wishes again. And its the only night that really worked out for us to go and see both of them. We were planning on trying to eat at BOG for lunch since dinner reservations are not gonna happen. This is the day I am most in debate about though...I have a reservation for Crystal Palace breakfast at 810, it would be nice to get in early but like I said we are not morning people or breakfast people really. Then I was thinking about a meal at CRT, cancel Akershus and eat somewhere else in Epcot, but I dont know if it is really worth 2 credits when we can do Akershus for 1 and DD4 isnt really gonna care as long as there is princesses she will be happy. So the other idea was to skip breakfast, do BOG lunch, and then do Chef Mickeys or 1900 park fare for dinner. If we get early dinner reservations for one of them, should that give us time to eat and get back over to MK in time to get a good spot for the parade and fireworks? We want to have good park time too though, so my third (or whatever we are on now lol) option for the day is to just do CS meals and have more park time.

Sun Sept 29-AK day. Last time we were here we didnt eat any of the food there We had YES program class that morning then as soon as it was done long story short my friend who came with us ran out of gas on the way to meet us there, so we had to leave and help her around lunch time. By then we were starving so we just ate at TGIFridays and then came back to the park and didnt eat again til later that night after we left. I was super disappointed cause the food at Flame Tree BBQ and Yak & Yeti smelled amazing. So I definitely want to eat at both, probably just CS Yak & Yeti. Eat one for lunch and one for dinner. Was also considering eating somewhere in DTD or at one of the resorts late that night if we have any TS credits left. Maybe Trex if we didnt go the first night or Wolfgang Puck. But idk if we will still be hungry after 2 CS meals.

Mon Sept 30-Come home If we happen to have a TS credit left and havent done Chef Mickeys yet was thinking of doing a breakfast here before we go. or 1900 Park Fare.

I hate making decisions!!! I wish we could just spend like 2 weeks here so I can eat everywhere I want!
I'm sorry I can't help you with your questions because it will be my famlilies 1st time to WDW in Oct, but..I can tell you that free dining is coming in Sept, and your check in date falls in the right place! I think I read, Sept 2nd-25th, and it will be released on May 9th (from what I read)
I can't remember what thread I read it from, but its from very reliable sources!
If I can find it, I will let you know!
Good-luck with your decisions
flinkerfrosch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
btk2333
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerupem0kidx0x View Post

I almost never do the dining plan now, we tend to get APs and TiW card to get the AP room discount and the food discount, for us the math tends to work out saving us more- (but I won't rehash that argument here )that being said when we used to do the dining plan, we'd avoid 2 TS options. It makes it really hard to get your value at those restaurants, from our experience anyway and you run out of credits fast using them on Signature restaurants.

All of the options you listed for TS are good choices. Our favorites of the ones you mentioned are Le Cellier (Signature now though and can be hard to get ADR) If you are planning on having dinner at Akershus and eating at the F&W booths, I'm not sure you'll be hungry enough for another sit down meal, and you'll be using TS credits fast if you have a TS lunch and an Akershus dinner

It all depends on the time of the year whether or not you "need the dining package" We've gone to Fantasmic before with and without the package. The advantage of the package is that you know for sure you'll have a seat. September is not the most crowded time of year so you would have a pretty good shot of getting a seat regardless. however, if you know you'll be less stressed about getting a spot if you guarantee one, I'd recommend going for the dining package (vacation should be as low stress as possible!)

We've done Crystal Palace for breakfast early, and while it's good, it's also expensive, and not really great value on the dining plan. It is great to get in the park before it opens, you get some great photo opportunities! However, if you don't know how happy you'll be getting up early/ eating breakfast, I'd save your credits for something you know you'd enjoy. As I mentioned earlier, I'd avoid the 2 TS CRT and stick with Akershus if you think your daughter is going to be happy either way. I think your plan of skipping breakfast (or having a quick breakfast at the resort/snack/granola bars) and early lunch at BOG (be one of the first in line and eat early) would be my choice. Dinner is a conundrum- MSEP is at 8:00 and Wishes is at 9:00. How much do you care about being front and center on Main Street for the parade? If you ate at Chef Mickey's at 5:30, you could be done with dinner by 7:00, and at MK by 7:30. That is plenty of time to get a good view of the parade, but I'm not sure how early you guys like to be for the parade. We usually don't wait longer than that and just find a spot the best that we could. You will have plenty of time to get a good view of Wishes as you can follow the parade as they clear out and be front and center on Main Street.

We love counter service Yak and Yeti. Never eaten at Flame Tree, we love the Animal Kingdom Lodge restaurants if you feel like venturing over there. Boma, Jiko and Sanaa are all excellent.

Hope I gave you some information and didn't just ramble incessantly
We all vacation a little differently- and the fact that there are so many great places to eat is one of the things that keeps us coming back!!! Have fun planning!
btk2333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
cheerupem0kidx0x
Earning My Ears

Thanks so much that was a huge help! I think I will avoid the 2 TS credit places. Maybe another time we will do those. And as far as getting a spot for the MSEP as long as we can see Im not too worried about being front and center, last time we went we were in the front so its not something we havent experienced. But wishes I would like to get a good spot for because last time we didnt end up with the greatest spot.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: