Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #31
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskem96 View Post
Wow, this makes me really nervous. I'm allergic to shellfish and iodine and I get really sick if I swim in salt water. I wonder if the water will be a problem for me. Also my dad is on dialysis and has to be very careful about his salt intake. I'm guessing the same water is also fed through the fountain drink machines?
All the water onboard (preparing food, making ice, from the drink stations, from the tap in your room) is processed the same as bottled water (reverse osmosis and filtered). I've always found the water to taste good.

I don't know if there are (or could be) problems with allergies, or dialysis patients, but, if you're concerned, certainly you may bring onboard your own bottled water. Or purchase it onboard (much higher cost).

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #32
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskem96

Wow, this makes me really nervous. I'm allergic to shellfish and iodine and I get really sick if I swim in salt water. I wonder if the water will be a problem for me. Also my dad is on dialysis and has to be very careful about his salt intake. I'm guessing the same water is also fed through the fountain drink machines?
I'm so sorry for you not being able to swim in the ocean!
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #33
TiggerBouncy
Mouseketeer

My DW is highly allergic to shellfish, but had no problem with the water.

However you should find another place to dine for lobster night. Even though she did not order lobster, all the shells cracking put juice in the air and almost landed her in sick bay.

We booked Palo that night.
TiggerBouncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #34
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerBouncy View Post
My DW is highly allergic to shellfish, but had no problem with the water.

However you should find another place to dine for lobster night. Even though she did not order lobster, all the shells cracking put juice in the air and almost landed her in sick bay.

We booked Palo that night.
I've read that Palo also serves lobster on lobster night.

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
Old 04-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #35
sskem96
DIS Veteran

Is there a lobster night on the 4 day Dream? I hadn't read about that. I'm already nervous about the amount of seafood they serve. I don't even go into places like Red Lobster or Joe's Crab Shack, but I've read so much about how great they are with allergies on the ship I thought it would be ok.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #36
sskem96
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids

I'm so sorry for you not being able to swim in the ocean!
I was thinking I might just wade a little bit at CC. I'm guessing it was just the water that got in my mouth that caused a problem in the past, but I suppose it could be absorbed through my skin with enough exposure.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #37
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Is there a lobster night on the 4 day Dream? I hadn't read about that. I'm already nervous about the amount of seafood they serve. I don't even go into places like Red Lobster or Joe's Crab Shack, but I've read so much about how great they are with allergies on the ship I thought it would be ok.
The lobster is generally served on the Captain's Gala menu, so the 4 night cruise would most likely not have it.

The menus for the 4 night would be the 3 signature menus & Pirate menu.

Captain's Gala menu is usually only on the longer cruises.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #38
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Quote:
I understand that reverse osmosis removes all of the salt. Salt particles are larger than the openings in the filters. Someone mentioned that the food was salty. This is true but it is because they use too much salt in the food perpetration process, not because the water is salty. Most of the bottled water companies use the same reverse osmosis process that Disney does to purify the water.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #39
christymarie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I was thinking I might just wade a little bit at CC. I'm guessing it was just the water that got in my mouth that caused a problem in the past, but I suppose it could be absorbed through my skin with enough exposure.
I'm pretty sure the pools on the ship are salt water as well.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #40
clten
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by christymarie View Post
I'm pretty sure the pools on the ship are salt water as well.
No, most cruise lines do just fill their ships with ocean water. Disney uses the same water they process through reverse osmosis. So they are technically fresh water (though heavily chlorinated) pools.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #41
sskem96
DIS Veteran

Thanks! It sounds like it should be fine. At least I know there's bottled water available on board. If we have any problem with the ship's water, we'll just have to shell out the cash for bottled. I really don't want to carry on a case if it's not necessary.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #42
TiggerBouncy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
I've read that Palo also serves lobster on lobster night.
We just got off the Fantasy, where we booked Palo for Lobster night to avoid the shellfish. I can state with certainty that Palo did not serve lobster during lobster night. They had their regular menu (which I think may include a shellfish menu item, but it's a far cry from giving everyone lobster!).

My DW had Viel, and I had steak.
TiggerBouncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #43
jtkboston
Scheming to book another cruise

Boiled/condensed, not reverse osmosis (on Fantasy)

On the Fantasy, they had a "behind the scenes" video on one of the channels. They explained that to get potable water, they boil the sea water in a slight vacuum (boiling point about 70 C), then condense the steam.
They have lots of spare heat from the engines that they can use for this and other purposes.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #44
PWammy
Mouseketeer

Just sailed on the Dream, not sure I'll be doing another DCL for a while, but trust me, I will be bringing my own water on board, using it to brush my teeth, bringing it to meals, taking it into port; that ship water was SOOOOOO NASTY! I really think it depends on what your tap water tastes like ordinarily, this stuff was nothing like what I was accustomed to. So glad it was a quick, 3-night sailing.

Last edited by PWammy; 04-29-2013 at 09:03 PM.
PWammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #45
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkboston View Post
On the Fantasy, they had a "behind the scenes" video on one of the channels. They explained that to get potable water, they boil the sea water in a slight vacuum (boiling point about 70 C), then condense the steam.
They have lots of spare heat from the engines that they can use for this and other purposes.
Yes, that is one of the methods used. However, they can't make enough potable water just using that method for all the uses onboard. Reverse osmosis is another. They also take on water in some of the ports to fill the water reserve tanks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: