Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 04:28 AM   #1
JalenJade
Mouseketeer

Cool Alcoholic beverage suggestions.

I'll admit, I'm not a big drinker, but I'd like some suggestions for drinks to ask for while I'm staying at the DLR. My only real requirements are no beers (Unless it actually tastes good... and smells good.) And lower sugar appreciated. (I'm diabetic but this isn't a dealbreaker.)

I know there's a generic drink menu but I've heard that it's probably not the best experience to order off that menu. I plan on spending at least 1 night at Trader Sam's and I will be trying out their unique drinks (Though off-menu suggestions welcome.)

I would most likely be more drawn to fruity drinks than not, though I am open to any suggestions.
JalenJade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
Congo Queen
DLand Devotee Since 1966

Drinks that contain both alcohol and fruit juices (thus making them fruity) will be high in sugar so are probably not ideal for a diabetic, but if that is indeed something you can over look, here are my fav specialty drinks from the Trader Sam's menu:
  • Shipwreck on the Rocks - Have too many of these and you'll be setting a course for Davy Jones' Locker! -- Bourbon with Freshly Muddled Lemon and Mint with Organic Agave Nectar.
  • Ginger's Pear-adise - When you put your hand out for this one be careful...Ginger snaps! -- Pear Vodka, Ginger Liqueur, Organic Agave Nectar, and Freshly Squeezed Lime Juice.
  • Lost Safari - Best served with a rhino chaser, this drink gets its point across in the end. Bottoms up! -- Dark and Spiced Rums, Tropical Juices, and Sam's Gorilla Grog.

At the Carthay Circle Lounge, I've had a Pimm's Punch, a Mojito, and a Negroni and all were excellent.
Congo Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
dawnball
bouncie bouncie...
You don't want the camels to spit on you

Wine? Unless the bottle's been open too long, or is corked, it's pretty hard to screw it up.

The standard bar menu has a banfi rosa regale (a sweeter, lightly sparkling red) that might suit you. It's also only 5% alcohol, so it's not going to hit you over the head in the heat.

At Carthay Circle lounge you might like a Ginger Rogers or an aviation. A Hemingway daiquiri might also be a good choice.

If you steer clear of mixed drinks that include "sweet and sour mix", "wildberry foam" and randomly flavored vodka, you'll probably do all right.
dawnball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

Try a glass of Magicale.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
jenergy
I'm a human garbage disposal

I'm always a big fan of Disney's sangria. I tried two cocktails (Croquet Tini & Midway Martini) inside DCA and they were wayyy too strong and sugary for me. Kind of felt like I was sipping shots the whole time - YUCK!
Old 04-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
Pinup Mommy
Making everyday a Dapper Day!!

If you are sharing. I usally like to buy a bottles of Dr. Loosen Riesling at the Hearthstone Lounge in GCH ($40.00) It is very refreshing and the markup on it in not bad. You can also buy it by the glass in DCA ($8.00)

DL local since 1980 ~ WDW 1986 ~ WDW 2000 Disney Contempary ~ WDW 2005 Disney Polynesian ~ AP holder since 2009 ~ DL's MNSSHP 2011&2012 ~ DCL Wonder 2012 Halloween Cruise

Pinup Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #7
SMD
DIS Veteran

It's probably not low sugar, but I liked the Pimm's Punch at Carthay Circle Lounge.

At Trader Sam's they will make substitutions. I got the Shipwreck on the Rocks for the souvenir glass and didn't really like it. My friend told me she substituted rum and had a regular mojito.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
cmpeter
DIS Veteran

I like fruiter drinks and tend to order lemon drops or mojitos. Not sure about the sugar issue there though.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
sarahb86
Earning My Ears

I can't help much since I almost always choose beer (and "smells good" is subjective!), but if you want a drink that you can walk around with, the Cozy Cone in Cars Land has a pomegranate lemonade and vodka. The one I got was pretty weak on the vodka, but it wasn't as sweet as the drinks from Trader Sam's...
sarahb86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
whoever
DIS Veteran

I know you said you don't really drink many beers, but I foudn the tower10 IPA they serve at the resort to be pretty delicious. I'm bringing a few 6 packs of a local IPA with me though, for winding down after the kids are settled in the room.
whoever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #11
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Who View Post
Try a glass of Magicale.
They don't call it Magicale anymore. It is now called it's true name, Rosa Regale. I get it at my World Market, it's amazing! Highly recommended!

OP try the white sangria, it's white wine with fruit, very very good! Or anything with a glow cube. LOL

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #12
SMD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahb86 View Post
I can't help much since I almost always choose beer (and "smells good" is subjective!), but if you want a drink that you can walk around with, the Cozy Cone in Cars Land has a pomegranate lemonade and vodka. The one I got was pretty weak on the vodka, but it wasn't as sweet as the drinks from Trader Sam's...
It's a pomegranate limeade, which IMO, is even better. I could hardly detect any vodka though, and would probably just get it as a soft drink if I tried it again. You can ask for soda water instead of Sprite in the cozy cone drinks, so that helps cut down on sugar.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #13
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
It's probably not low sugar, but I liked the Pimm's Punch at Carthay Circle Lounge.
Carthay Manhattan is excellent
Old 04-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #14
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
They don't call it Magicale anymore. It is now called it's true name, Rosa Regale. I get it at my World Market, it's amazing! Highly recommended!

OP try the white sangria, it's white wine with fruit, very very good! Or anything with a glow cube. LOL

Oh, that's going to make a couple of my friends really, really happy. Thanks!
Old 04-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #15
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
That is seriously good to know.

OP I would go for as simple as possible. Juice and alcohol are going to be bad enough, but if your blood sugar reacts anything like my husband's, if you get some fruity drink that's blended with some HFCS-sweetened stuff it might shoot your levels through the roof.

I like glow cubes and I like simple. I don't know the name of them, but there are a couple drinks made with organic juices, etc, and those taste really lovely.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: