Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #91
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
A 1930s-style British explorers' club that features a staff of flamboyant characters portrayed by improv actors. (on second thought forget this one never going to be popular)
You wound me, sir.

Kungaloosh!
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #92
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaGoat View Post
There is no way re-creating World of Colour in Florida would cost anywhere near 100 million dollars..... The original in Cali may have cost that much, but getting it going in Florida would be a fraction of the original cost, especially if it was almost an exact replica.
It depends. How much of the cost was attributed to research and development vs. implementation and capital costs? Has equipment developed become commodity items that can now be purchased on the market, or will everything still have to be made custom?

CA already had a controlled environment pool to build it in, so they didn't have that expense. How much would it cost to build a new one at WDW? How much to retrofit Fantasmic?

Overall, it may be a fraction, but I'm betting its probably a big fraction.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #93
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
You wound me, sir.

Kungaloosh!
Seeing if you were awake yet.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #94
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaGoat View Post
There is no way re-creating World of Colour in Florida would cost anywhere near 100 million dollars..... The original in Cali may have cost that much, but getting it going in Florida would be a fraction of the original cost, especially if it was almost an exact replica.
Speaking as an engineer, I can tell you it very well could cost $100 million. (and I had said $50-$100 million)

Yes, the design cost would be reduced somewhat, but construction costs tend to outweigh design costs by at least 5:1 if not 10:1. Let's say WoC cost $100 million to design and construct, and to be really generous 30 % of that was design. The re-design costs might be cut in half, as there's no way to replicate it 100% exactly. (This isn't soarin' - and even that they had to change the building design.) So that's still $15 million to redesign and $70 million to build it again, so $85 million instead of $100 million. A discount but no way a bargain.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK NEW TR
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #95
disneydreamgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drfate102
I don't think you could put a water show there at DTD. It is open fresh water in Flordia. Small gator or snake gets vaulted 60 to 70 feet in the air.
Would sure take that show to another level! On the OP, only real comment is that if truly new to the boards, maybe he or she doesn't know how to edit the subject? OP-Edit your first post and then click 'Go advanced' and you'll see the title box where you can adjust the title. I've been here a while and the title definitely caught my eye. I quickly realized it was not an official announcement though. Have a magical day all! Going to see our symphony today and it's all Disney music being featured.
DCL Fantasy-Oct'14 First-time cruisers!

Last edited by disneydreamgirl; 04-27-2013 at 10:50 AM.
disneydreamgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #96
Friendly Frog
DIS veteran with a mouse on her back.

My personal opinion is Fantasmic is good,World of Color is better but Illuminations is by far the best show. ( I love the flames as it is not something yo see often in a show.)
Friendly Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #97
dwelty
"God Bless 'em, let 'em pee"-Roy Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post

Agree. The setting isn't bad since space could be reserved along the water for viewing. But why would Disney ever want to deal with the cost and headaches (traffic, crowd control, etc.) involved with putting-on such a show each night?

It may draw some extra shoppers to Disney Springs but with most of the merchants and restauranteurs being non-Disney entities, there's just no reason for Disney to absorb those added costs.

Also Disney Springs presents the same problems with filtration. The waterway adjacent to DS runs all the way to Old Key West and POFQ. It would be a monumental undertaking to filter that water such that dirt, grime and other pollutants would not harm the equipment.
Not to mention that this lake is part of a larger Reedy Creek flood control system, and cannot be isolated and chlorinated.

dwelty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #98
dwelty
"God Bless 'em, let 'em pee"-Roy Disney

I don't see any reason to try and draw shoppers to one of the most crowded shopping venues I have ever been to. I have visited Downtown Disney in every month of the year and have found it incredibly crowded on each visit. In my opinion the expansion of Downtown Disney into Disney Springs is not so much to increase crowds as to take advantage of existing crowds by giving them more opportunity to spend. Of course Disney Springs will increase traffic, but I don't think Downtown Disney has ever suffered too much from attendance. Why spend millions on a water show when people will show up anyway?

dwelty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #99
michelleiada
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniegirl19 View Post
if I'm wrong i apologize I'm just saying what someone told me... to me i don't think it seems likely either but who knows with disney we will see

You used the words "it's official" when in fact it's not official! I'll believe this when I see it.

2012 BECAME DVC MEMBER AT BCV!

michelleiada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #100
michelleiada
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtucomp View Post
I always find it funny when people post that they should get rid of a show or attraction because it is dated.

For someone who visits WDW yearly it is an old show that has been going on since before the millenium. For someone who is making their first visit to EPCOT and sees the syncronized fireworks and music with fireballs it is quite impressive.

I saw Illuminations during the Millenium celebration. Now after seeing it many times I don't see it the same way but I still appreciate the show. My family is less impressed than I am.

I think that they could make changes to improve or modernize the show but as PP mentioned, World of Color would not fit right in the World Showcase area.
I agree. For those of us that frequent WDW it. Seems old but not to those that have never been. I have seen it dozens of times and still enjoy it. I also still LOVE Fantasmic.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #101
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleiada View Post
I agree. For those of us that frequent WDW it. Seems old but not to those that have never been. I have seen it dozens of times and still enjoy it. I also still LOVE Fantasmic.
Hey that HDDR show has to go, its been around FOREVER.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #102
michelleiada
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post

Hey that HDDR show has to go, its been around FOREVER.
That would be a SIN! HDDR IS AWESOME! I still love all that Disney does!

Old 05-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #103
circhead
Mouseketeer

I'll police myself.

I haven't been to HDDR for years but remember it as a good time.

Love Illuminations, love Wishes - hate Fantasmic. Never saw WOC figured it was similar to Fantasmic and avoided it when I was at DL last year for a wedding in the area.

As someone said to each their own - one person's hate is another person's love.
That's why we're individuals and not everything will appeal to all of us but Disney does a great job of having something for everyone.

Can't wait to get back. December 2013 MVMCP
Old 05-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #104
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by circhead View Post
I'll police myself.

I haven't been to HDDR for years but remember it as a good time.

Love Illuminations, love Wishes - hate Fantasmic. Never saw WOC figured it was similar to Fantasmic and avoided it when I was at DL last year for a wedding in the area.

As someone said to each their own - one person's hate is another person's love.
That's why we're individuals and not everything will appeal to all of us but Disney does a great job of having something for everyone.

Can't wait to get back. December 2013 MVMCP
I'm also not a Fantasmic fan. I have to ask. Have you seen any videos of WOC? Too me, I have only seen the videos, its not at all like Fantasmic, or Mickey's bad Acid trip as I call it, and looks amazing.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #105
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by circhead View Post
WOC is really nothing like Fantasmic - DL has its own version of Fantasmic that plays in Frontierland. While I do enjoy Fantasmic, WOC is stunning.

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009, April 2010 (F&W Festival!),
April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (Yacht Club, F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: