Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #61
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzadi View Post
I find it quite interesting that a single episode would be sent each day. A friend acts on soap operas. They film at least 3 weeks in advance, so they have a cushion of shows in case there are problems, and of course, because the actors go on vacations & holidays. And when there was a stagehands strike a couple decades ago, they went into overtime, to film a good couple of months episodes to try to cover how long the strike might last. Of course, filming shows in advance is different from getting them sent on a feed to air each day.

What happens if something happens to the 4am feed? Either the signal cuts out & can't be re-established, there is a weather event like an earthquake, hurricane or natural disaster, like Hurricane Sandy which knocked out power for several days in some areas. So the whole country doesn't get Jeopardy, the 4th most watched syndicated show on TV, until the feed goes back up?

Strange that they wouldn't send out a whole week of shows. Maybe that area of FL, the OP lives in, is the ONE station that gets special treatment, and they get the extra episodes, in case something happens at Sony or where the feed gets sent from.
I know Ellen, Dr. Phil, Extra & Inside Edition all get distributed "Day Of". I think some shows have regular "secondary" feeds where a station had a problem with the primary feed, they can use the secondary. Or stations may call and arrange for another feed if there was a problem.

As for "why"... I'm guessing just make sure there aren't MORE mistakes with "wrong" shows airing. If the local station has all 5 M-F shows, there's a chance of someone pulling the wrong tape or setting up the wrong show in the server. That's just a guess though.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #62
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbb View Post
That's the update I'd like to know as well. However, that is the question the "expert" wants to know...he's still claiming that the OP is mistaken in what she saw (since won't acknowledge that she did, indeed, see Thursday's show on Wednesday). Anything to avoid admitting he was wrong, I guess.
I am not saying OP didn't, on Wednesday, see the last section of the show that aired in Orlando on Thursday. I am questioning whether the station made mistakes both days, and the show that aired Thursday was a previously aired show. Being ratings started on Thursday, that should should not have been a rerun.
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #63
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
I know Ellen, Dr. Phil, Extra & Inside Edition all get distributed "Day Of". I think some shows have regular "secondary" feeds where a station had a problem with the primary feed, they can use the secondary. Or stations may call and arrange for another feed if there was a problem.

As for "why"... I'm guessing just make sure there aren't MORE mistakes with "wrong" shows airing. If the local station has all 5 M-F shows, there's a chance of someone pulling the wrong tape or setting up the wrong show in the server. That's just a guess though.
And many stations now have shows fed directly off the internet into their severs at preset times. I'm thinking....like I posted...they had 2 errors, one on Wednesday and one on Thursday.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #64
Bonnie151
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
And many stations now have shows fed directly off the internet into their severs at preset times. I'm thinking....like I posted...they had 2 errors, one on Wednesday and one on Thursday.
Now I'm completely lost. How could there be two errors, unless you mean Jeopardy made the two errors? From what I've followed in the thread:

The Florida TV station showed the first half of Wednesday's programme plus the second half of Thursday's programme on Wednesday. (error on someone's part)

The rest of the nation's stations showed all of Wednesday's programme on Wednesday. (no error)

The Florida TV station showed all of Thursday's programme on Thursday. (no error. I think? Or did the Florida station show a different show again?))

The rest of the nation's stations showed all of Thursday's programme on Thursday. (no error)

I think the rerun vs new show is a red herring. The error is that this one station combined a present show with a future show (whether new or a rerun). Or am I misunderstanding what happened?

It's a very entertaining puzzle!

Yes I can spell, but my iPad quite often thinks I'd rather type gibberish.
Bonnie151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #65
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie151 View Post
Now I'm completely lost. How could there be two errors, unless you mean Jeopardy made the two errors? From what I've followed in the thread:

The Florida TV station showed the first half of Wednesday's programme plus the second half of Thursday's programme on Wednesday. (error on someone's part)

The rest of the nation's stations showed all of Wednesday's programme on Wednesday. (no error)

The Florida TV station showed all of Thursday's programme on Thursday. (no error. I think? Or did the Florida station show a different show again?))

The rest of the nation's stations showed all of Thursday's programme on Thursday. (no error)

I think the rerun vs new show is a red herring. The error is that this one station combined a present show with a future show (whether new or a rerun). Or am I misunderstanding what happened?

Given that Orlando saw what the rest of the country saw on Thursday and that the winner of the Thursday show was on the Friday show, I don't see how Orlando could possibly have shown an old episode on Thursday. So yes, I agree that the new show versus rerun is a red herring.
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #66
Ceila
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I vote for red herring. The poster who suggested that there were two errors does not want to deviate from what he said originally, which was that there is absolutely no way that the station could have aired part of Thursday's show on Wednesday. However, that appears to be exactly what happened.
Ceila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #67
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
I agree... where is the second error?

Here's another possibility... during the "primary" feed, 99% of the stations got it fine with no problem. There was some issue at the Orlando affiliate. So they take the "secondary" feed. However, the distributor messed up the secondary feed and incorrectly fed the next day's ending. Orlando airs the show they recorded.

The new show vs. old show I don't think was a red herring, because it did possibly offer an explanation. I don't feel like going back and reading the thread again, but I don't remember folks saying it was the same winner that was on the previous day's show (it's probably there, I just don't remember it).

In order for the Orlando station to air the next day's ending, the Jeopardy folks had to feed it. The local people who take the feeds and set them up (either on tape or in server) aren't watching for continuity issues. So it doesn't surprise me no one in Orlando caught this.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #68
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran

This thread is kinda of funny.

Everyone is wrong sometimes. Admitting it and moving on is the best way to handle it.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #69
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:

The new show vs. old show I don't think was a red herring, because it did possibly offer an explanation. I don't feel like going back and reading the thread again, but I don't remember folks saying it was the same winner that was on the previous day's show (it's probably there, I just don't remember it).
Sorry, it may not be on the thread (though I thought it was) - I watched the show. Based on comments by the OP, she and I watched the same show on Thursday AND the winner of Thursday's show was on the show that I saw Friday.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #70
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinehighway View Post
This thread is kinda of funny.

Everyone is wrong sometimes. Admitting it and moving on is the best way to handle it.
No. One thing I have learned over the last few years is that tvguy is never, ever wrong.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #71
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I agree... where is the second error?

Here's another possibility... during the "primary" feed, 99% of the stations got it fine with no problem. There was some issue at the Orlando affiliate. So they take the "secondary" feed. However, the distributor messed up the secondary feed and incorrectly fed the next day's ending. Orlando airs the show they recorded.

In order for the Orlando station to air the next day's ending, the Jeopardy folks had to feed it. The local people who take the feeds and set them up (either on tape or in server) aren't watching for continuity issues. So it doesn't surprise me no one in Orlando caught this.

The returning champion on the second show is one of the contestants from the first show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkTlTxj3iXQ
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #72
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjprincess View Post
The returning champion on the second show is one of the contestants from the first show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkTlTxj3iXQ
I know that *NOW*. But in the early pages of the thread, that wasn't indicated (that I can remember). Since I don't watch the show, I didn't realize the same contestant was on both shows. Until THAT information became available, having part of an older show air WAS a possibility, therefore not a red herring.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #73
Bonnie151
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I know that *NOW*. But in the early pages of the thread, that wasn't indicated (that I can remember). Since I don't watch the show, I didn't realize the same contestant was on both shows. Until THAT information became available, having part of an older show air WAS a possibility, therefore not a red herring.
The way I read it from the start, we could make a fairly educated guess that it was the case. In post #3 we were told:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbogen View Post
It's on my DVR, give me a minute and I will check it out.

The players before final jeopardy were Bill, Andy and Christina. The final category was The US Government. When they returned it was the same contestants and the same category. The answer was The State of the Union Address and they all got it correct.

Is that how yours ended?

The OP responded in post #4:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
Not at all! Ours started the same as yours. They went to a commercial and came back with Bill and two completely different contestants. The category was TV Spinoffs. I won't say who won because I have a feeling we saw the ending for tomorrow night because Alex said something about finishing off the week tomorrow. Too funny!

So we know that Bill was on the nationwide (other than Orlando) show on Wednesday and that he was also on the second half of the Orlando Wednesday show but with two other different contestants.

So unless there was some completely bizarre coincidence that Bill had been on Jeopardy at some earlier date as well and that this earlier date happened to be picked up in error by complete coincidence on Wednesday by the Orlando station, the new vs rerun question was a red herring from the start. I'd argue that the odds of Bill being on at an earlier date etc would be far to slim to consider seriously - the question of new vs rerun has no relevance to the error IMO.

This thread is so much fun!

Yes I can spell, but my iPad quite often thinks I'd rather type gibberish.
Bonnie151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #74
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:

So unless there was some completely bizarre coincidence that Bill had been on Jeopardy at some earlier date as well and that this earlier date happened to be picked up in error by complete coincidence on Wednesday by the Orlando station, the new vs rerun question was a red herring from the start. I'd argue that the odds of Bill being on at an earlier date etc would be far to slim to consider seriously - the question of new vs rerun has no relevance to the error IMO.

This thread is so much fun!
Especially since, earlier in the thread, we were told that it couldn't possibly be a re-run since the rating period had just started (by the same "expert" now claiming that it must have been a re-run).
Old 04-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #75
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I copied that from one of the posts on the first page. It's actually from the post right before tvguy said it was impossible.
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: