Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
Postal68
DIS Veteran

Concierge???

Is it really worth it? We're not doing Palo and we really don't see the sense in spending $500 for a Cabana that we really wouldn't be spending much time in it.

They are the main two advantages that we see.

We are already booked again in a category 4A on the Dream so the rooms aren't any different unless we upgraded to a suite, correct?

Also, if there were to be an upgrade available at check in to the suite, how much more (ballpark) would it possibly be?
Postal68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
Stitch'sCousin
DIS Veteran

For us, it was only about $400 more to book a cat. V for 3A2K for our 7 night 2014 western instead of a cat 4a so we went for it. The cat 4a and cat V are the same size, but we liked the idea of the lounge and sundeck for the cruise.
Stitch'sCousin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
mdurette
DIS Veteran

This was me up until 2 weeks ago. We sailed regular and was absolutely ok with it. Our friends sailed concierge. The lounge with food and drinks and the service didn't do anything for me. But.....OMG, they got a cabana and we were able to join them. I had the same attitude as you - I'm going to be on the beach anyway - what good is the Cabana for. Well ... the cabana itself was nice - stocked with everything you would need - but what impressed me (and had me upgrade to Conceirge for our next trip) was that they section off a huge section of beach just for Cabana guests. Seriously - it was a huge section and I never came across more than 10 people on the beach. It felt like you had your own piece of CC - which we did. It was awesome and yes, do I still think $500 is steep for what I call a shack with a fridge and shower - absolutely. But, now that I have been in it - I want it again.
mdurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch'sCousin View Post
For us, it was only about $400 more to book a cat. V for 3A2K for our 7 night 2014 western instead of a cat 4a so we went for it. The cat 4a and cat V are the same size, but we liked the idea of the lounge and sundeck for the cruise.
Last October, we upgraded from a ocean view (forgot the category) to concierge for $680, for DW & I it was a great decision. As noted above the lounge & the sun deck were great. Also the concierge team really made sure we had an exceptional cruise experience.

As I recall when we upgraded at the port last October, the upgrade charge for a 1 bedroom was $1,200.

One big problem, once you experience Concierge you won't want to go back to a standard stateroom. Witness the fact that we upgraded our cruise this past January to Concierge & have booked the 2013 & 14 NYE cruises as Concierge.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We are already booked again in a category 4A on the Dream so the rooms aren't any different unless we upgraded to a suite, correct?
Well, the size isn't any different, but the look of it is. And having the snacks and espresso and Evian waters available whenever the lounge is open is lovely. The free alcohol half an hour before the dining seatings was nice, too, though we barely took advantage of it. Even if you don't USE the concierge people to get much of anything extra, it's still not a bad thing to do.

FWIW, a cabana isn't a given with concierge; it's just a bit easier to get.

For our 3 night the change from our booked 4a to a V was $300 and change. WELL worth it, in our opinion.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:06 PM   #6
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

Not sure if it is worth it or not. Going on our first Disney cruise in October. We are doing the 5 night double dip. Since I do not like cruises (I was out voted) I booked us a one bedroom. Also, going to try and book one of the cabanas.

So keeping my fingers crossed it is worth the money.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
Namsupak
DIS Veteran

Posted this in response to a similar question earlier this month.

Well the first thing is that "worth" is really subjective. It would be very difficult to get a straight numerical value for what concierge provides. I'll list some of the benefits that matter to us. Also keep in mind that concierge on the new ships vs the classic ships is different. I'll comment mainly on the new ships as that is where the greatest cost differentiation lies.
  • booking excursions at the 120 day mark
  • shoreside concierge to call for any questions or requests
  • priority on changes to dining assignments
  • priority tendering
  • priority on nursery appointments
  • priority on specialty dining
  • Priority boarding
  • Concierge Lounge
  • Private Sun-deck
  • Complimentary Drinks before dinner
  • Snacks in the lounge
  • Borrow dvds
  • Borrow iPads
  • The concierge team acts as your one stop for everything, no need to go to guest services for anything
  • 100 minutes of free internet package
  • Special meet and greet with a character
  • If you stay in a suite you have the option of ordering main dining room to your room and also hot breakfast.
  • On debarkation you have continental room service if you are in a suite.
  • Royal suites get an unlimited internet package and also have the option of ordering palo to the room.
  • Usually some sort of Disney lithograph
  • You get a few extra bath products
  • Nice robes and slippers
  • little "gifts" from the concierge especially if you have kids
  • Better mattress and pillows - also the option of exchanging pillows

It really just depends on the experience you are looking for. When you travel do you pick value or deluxe accommodations? If you like privacy then concierge is excellent as well because you have a sun deck and a lounge that are generally less busy than the rest of the ship. Do you plan on using the amenities such as 120day excursion booking, and ordering the full menu from your suite.

For example we are booked in a category T on the Fantasy at high season which is about 20k. A V for us would have been about 14k, and a category 4 was in the neighborhood of about 9k.

Is it worth twice or one and a half times the cost of a standard room to travel concierge? If you make a comparison from a lower room then the difference is even greater.

One thing for us is we like verandah rooms, we also like space, so the jump up to concierge isn't that much. We find that it is worth it. We have done V's as well and they are fine too as we spend more time in the lounge or on the sun deck. When we do travel in a T we love the space but we also like the ability to order hot breakfast, for us this is a big thing and it gives us a lot of value.

Not having to wait in the guest services line is also a big plus, just relax in the lounge and catch the concierge. It really is just hard to put a number on how much it is worth, especially since the concierge teams work so hard to make your cruise even more special than it already is.

Take the price to upgrade now and it is usually about 50% of that to upgrade at port. Keep in mind that is just an estimate as the price is sometimes a little more or a little less.

Also we love a cabana so we generally book these every time we go to CC

WDW: 1998, March 2002, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, May 2008, Sept 2008, Dec 2009, Sept 2010, Jan 2011, July 2011, Jan 2012, Feb 2012, Aug 2012, Dec 2012
DCL: June 2008, Feb 2009, Dec 2009, Nov 2010, Jan 2011 (MV Dream), WBTA Sept 2011, Dec 2011, NYE Dream 2011-12, Jan 2012, March 2012 MV Fantasy, Dec 2012 Fantasy, May 2013 WBPC, Jan 2014
DLP: Sept 5, 2011
Coming Up: Sept 2014 WBTA
Namsupak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #8
Postal68
DIS Veteran

Funny, because going over this list, I don't think it would be beneficial to us
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namsupak View Post
  • booking excursions at the 120 day mark -we're not big on excursions and the one's we do like are usually easily booked
  • shoreside concierge to call for any questions or requests - I don't understand this or the benefit
  • priority on changes to dining assignments - we only need first seating, and we skip Enchanted Garden- not fans of it and no Palo for us
  • priority tendering - what does this mean?
  • priority on nursery appointments - N/A
  • priority on specialty dining - no interest for us
  • Priority boarding - I don't know if this matters to us because we always get in the earliest boarding groups
  • Concierge Lounge - eh
  • Private Sun-deck - not loungers or tanners
  • Complimentary Drinks before dinner - we have a few drinks, but is a few "free" drinks worth paying an extra $500-$1000
  • Snacks in the lounge - so you don't have to walk as far to get some snacks
  • Borrow dvds -ehhh, I'm on a cruise
  • Borrow iPads - do I really need an iPad?
  • The concierge team acts as your one stop for everything, no need to go to guest services for anything - I went to guest services exactly ONE time, to add tips to my bill. I did that later in the evening and had a 2 minute wait
  • 100 minutes of free internet package - not really necessary
  • Special meet and greet with a character - kids are grown out of the characters, we have to battle to get them to take a picture with them(they've been going to Disney almost every year of their lives DS 16/ DD 12)
  • If you stay in a suite you have the option of ordering main dining room to your room and also hot breakfast. - THIS IS NICE
  • On debarkation you have continental room service if you are in a suite. -Not bad
  • Royal suites get an unlimited internet package and also have the option of ordering palo to the room. -I would use it if I had it, but not needed
  • Usually some sort of Disney lithograph - again, is a "Free" lithograph worth the $500-$1000 more for concierge?
  • You get a few extra bath products -and...
  • Nice robes and slippers - could be fun, can you keep them?
  • little "gifts" from the concierge especially if you have kids - tween and teen, I don't know how excited they would be but I could see little one's loving it
  • Better mattress and pillows - also the option of exchanging pillows
    - sounds good but not a deal maker
We like to stay at nicer hotels, but budget is always a factor. Having a girl age 12, and a boy age 16, the extra room is always one of our determining factors of where to stay. I'm glad I asked because concierge doesn't seem like something that would be beneficial to us price-wise for the perks that it gives you other than maybe a one bedroom or Royal Suite. I also think if we did longer cruises it would be something more beneficial as well. On a four day, we really don't spend much time in the cabin anyway.

Maybe if it was only my wife and I we would take more advantage of some of those perks.
Postal68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:22 AM   #9
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

No you don't keep the robes and slippers.

The gifts for DS from concierge were arcade cards. Gave him 4 10-minute arcade cards.

If you are espresso drinkers, that is extra on the ship. Cappucinos went into our calculations (though again, it was only $300 and change for us to upgrade to category V for our cruise) b/c we are both coffee drinkers and like espresso. The machine in the lounge was VERY worth it for us, vs having to go up to the espresso place and pay them. I will say that the (free/included) snacks up at the coffee place were lovely, but having to pay for the drinks was not. We only did that once. Kept our snacking to the lounge after that.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 04-25-2013, 05:53 AM   #10
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post

The gifts for DS from concierge were arcade cards. Gave him 4 10-minute arcade cards.

If you are espresso drinkers, that is extra on the ship. Cappucinos went into our calculations (though again, it was only $300 and change for us to upgrade to category V for our cruise) b/c we are both coffee drinkers and like espresso. The machine in the lounge was VERY worth it for us, vs having to go up to the espresso place and pay them. I will say that the (free/included) snacks up at the coffee place were lovely, but having to pay for the drinks was not. We only did that once. Kept our snacking to the lounge after that.
Funny, the gifts must not change much. We have four kids and we got 4 10 minute arcade cards as a gift one day. I assumed it was because we have four kids. Sounds like they must always give 4 cards! So apparently if you have fewer siblings you win out.

We also drink espresso and we paid for it everyday at the Cove Bar.

To us the only benefit was the room. I feel like the room is worth the price. I wish I could just get the suite without concierge. Our next cruise is to Alaska and we are not doing concierge again. I loved the 2 bedroom suite but I was less impressed with the concierge aspect. I booked two of the larger connecting veranda rooms on the 8th floor for Alaska. Maybe I will be disappointed in the rooms, but maybe not. I was disappointed with concierge. We just got off the ship last week.

wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #11
wifey1220
DIS Veteran

Quote:

My room host said I could keep slippers but if I wanted the robe I had to purchase from gift shop. I have my dcl slippers on right now. Lol.

We upgraded at port so the cost was low and being concierge was fun but not worth it for us to book again. Maybe if we get a good deal at port. I would say the best part was big bathroom.
2003 offsite, 2005 ASmovies and free dining, 2006 ASmovies and free dining, 2007 ASmusic and free dining, 2008 Pop Century and free dining, 2009 ASmusic and free dining, 2011 Disney cruise and Pop Century, 2012 Cruise on dream , 2013 Disney cruise on the Fantasy, 2013dcl dream and por free dining, 2014 dcl magic 3 nt and 7 nt eastern
wifey1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #12
NCConch
Mouseketeer

I keep checking our cruise and there is a room available. I think we are going to take it - if the price is right.

1st Disney Cruise - Dec 26-29, 2013 on the Dream

NCConch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #13
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallakids View Post
Funny, the gifts must not change much. We have four kids and we got 4 10 minute arcade cards as a gift one day. I assumed it was because we have four kids. Sounds like they must always give 4 cards! So apparently if you have fewer siblings you win out.
And we thought it was because they knew we had family on the trip with 2 other kids, and they were being extra-sweet! Figured they were giving him 2, with 2 to give to his cousins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifey1220 View Post
My room host said I could keep slippers but if I wanted the robe I had to purchase from gift shop. I have my dcl slippers on right now. Lol.
Ooh, good to know.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #14
shandrananette
Mouseketeer

Quote:

And we thought it was because they knew we had family on the trip with 2 other kids, and they were being extra-sweet! Figured they were giving him 2, with 2 to give to his cousins.

Ooh, good to know.
They might have been. We only got two cards, if I recall.

shandrananette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #15
CaliforniaGirl09
DIS Veteran

We just got off fantasy concierge and only got 2 cards, too. It was an amazing experience. Worth every penny IMO.
CaliforniaGirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: