Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
docjavadude
Earning My Ears

Hotel: Orlando Airport vs Cape Canaveral

Lots of previous posts (though a bit difficult to sort through), narrowing the decision...

We're flying in the afternoon before our cruise. Do you recommend staying near the airport or in Cape Canaveral? Which hotel(s) do you prefer? We're renting a car one-way before and after the cruise, so transportation is not an issue.

Thanks!
docjavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

I would say somewhere near Port Canaveral. Get all your traveling done on the day before your cruise so you can relax a little bit more while on vacation. And perhaps there is someplace interesting to grab a bite to eat between MCO and the Cape?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

how long is your flight? Will you be travel-weary and ready to relax when your flight lands, or will you be "up" for another hour of travel, this time in a car, to get to Port Canaveral so you won't have very far to go the next morning?

Do you want to go have dinner at Downtown Disney and stay at one of the hotels there, or would you rather crash at the MCO Hyatt?

If you opt to drive to Port Canaveral, Country Inn & Suites, and the Marriott Residence Inn are very close to the pier. If you know where to look, you can see your ship from the hotel. Especially if you're there when the ship pulls into port.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
Illini_Fan
Mouseketeer

We fly in the day before to MCO and then drive to the coast. Like one of the precious posters said, we like to get our travel done in one day

Also, we spend some time at the beach the day before

Hotel wise, we use the 4pts by Sheraton. But that is because I have lots of SPG points and the stay is free.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
docjavadude
Earning My Ears

Our flight is fairly routine, direct flight to MCO. So a bit of driving isn't a problem, nor is driving on Saturday morning -- might be more fun in Orlando area than the Cape for Friday evening (we've been to Cape/Cocoa before). Our main objectives will be:

a) Swimming pool for our daughter
b) Find good wine shop :-)
c) Easy, relaxed, fun evening with some good food
docjavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
shandrananette
Mouseketeer

Personally I prefer getting to Cape Canaveral the day before, so there's less travel time in the morning before you get to the cruise. I find it hard to wait. We stay in the Marriott Residence Inn - it was very nice, had a fine (not exceptional) pool and a basketball court to run around on for the two-year-old. We're staying again in November.

shandrananette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
ktmo
Mouseketeer

We flew in the day before our cruise and stayed in Port Canaveral. Our flight was delayed so we didn't get to MCO until around noon and then took awhile to get our car and then hour to PC. We were starving so we got something for lunch and by then it was almost 2pm. We really couldn't get into much after that.

I am thinking for our next cruise we will take a later flight and just stay at the airport and take the transfers to the port. Then we won't have to deal with the rental car return.
June 2012 - Caribbean Beach Resort
March 2013 - 4 nights on the Dream
October 2013 - Art of Animation
ktmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
thdarragh
Mouseketeer

We are flying in on a Thursday evening and driving to Port Canaveral area. We are staying at the Country Inn and Suites. It got good reviews on TripAdvisor and the $$ is right. We also have a suite with 2 bedrooms so we can spread out a bit. We plan to spend Friday at Kennedy Space Center and the beach before our cruise on Saturday. We prefer to be as close to the port as possible the day before the cruise because DW worries about getting delayed on Saturday. You know..."what if there is an accident on our way to the port on Saturday and we miss the boat"...kind of thing. So we "have" to be in the port area so we can walk to the terminal if necessary!! LOL.
thdarragh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #9
DayOhDisMom
Earning My Ears

We have stayed at the Hyatt MCO a number of time. Great stays each time.
DayOhDisMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: