Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
lulusmom
Earning My Ears

Port or Starboard - Does it matter?

We've decide to book a veranda cabin for our cruise and I was wondering if it matters what side of the ship you are on. Are there things you can see on one side that you can see on the other?
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulusmom View Post
We've decide to book a veranda cabin for our cruise and I was wondering if it matters what side of the ship you are on. Are there things you can see on one side that you can see on the other?
Which itinerary are you on? That might make a difference in terms of whether your cabin will have a view of the port when docked or not - subject to whether or not the ship "backs in" or pulls in frontways. We enjoy people watching so having a cabin that is on the side where the ship typically faces the pier is fun for us.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
lulusmom
Earning My Ears

We're looking at the Southern Caribbean on the Magic.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

Quote:
You can only see the Left side of the ship from the Port Side and you can only see the Right side of the ship from the Starboard side.

You can check your ports and figure ot what you will be able to see on each side. Some people like looking out at the ocean in the port and some like looking at the island or city. In Alaska it goes up and comes back the same way so you will get to see everything. Panama Canal the best view is from the front and back of the ship. The biggest difference to me is Castaway Cay. I would want to see the bay. Someone else will have to tell you if that is port or starboard.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

The ships usually back into Castaway Cay, so the starboard (right) side would face the bay. Unless the ship is doing some sort of maintenance or safety drill for the crew that makes it necessary to pull straight into the dock.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
E ticket rider
Ferb's Best Friend

Quote:
Starboard side faces Castaway Cay beaches, port side faces the pier. The ships pretty much always back in at CC. I've seen a few pictures of the ships moored head in at CC, but we've always been backed in when we've been there. Ships don't always get the same berth in some ports of call (take Nassau, for instance), so there's no guarantee that a certain side will be on the pier side.

"The only thing predictable about life is its unpredictability" - Remy
E ticket rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #7
MikeAndNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
The ships usually back into Castaway Cay, so the starboard (right) side would face the bay. Unless the ship is doing some sort of maintenance or safety drill for the crew that makes it necessary to pull straight into the dock.
When I was searching to see what side I found these video's of each side of CC. It shows you what you can see from each side when you are stuck at CC because of weather.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t44d-LabYI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ff1kKSXBQQ
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Old 04-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
lulusmom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndNick View Post
You can check your ports and figure ot what you will be able to see on each side. Some people like looking out at the ocean in the port and some like looking at the island or city. In Alaska it goes up and comes back the same way so you will get to see everything. Panama Canal the best view is from the front and back of the ship. The biggest difference to me is Castaway Cay. I would want to see the bay. Someone else will have to tell you if that is port or starboard.
What's the best way to do this?

I looked at the map on the DCL website. It looks like the majority of the islands would be seen from the Port side as we are sailing.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
MikeAndNick

Quote:
What's the best way to do this?

I looked at the map on the DCL website. It looks like the majority of the islands would be seen from the Port side as we are sailing.
I am a computer programmer and I spend much of my day on Google. What I did to figure out is Google "cruise ship port Disney St. Maarten" and look at the Images that are returned of Disney ships in port. The other way is what you are doing, ask people on the DISboard. They will tell you what they know. Everything can change based on weather and what ships are in port.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #10
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by E ticket rider View Post
Starboard side faces Castaway Cay beaches, port side faces the pier. The ships pretty much always back in at CC. I've seen a few pictures of the ships moored head in at CC, but we've always been backed in when we've been there. Ships don't always get the same berth in some ports of call (take Nassau, for instance), so there's no guarantee that a certain side will be on the pier side.
I watched us dock from the BBB deck on our last trip to CC and enjoyed being able to see both views. The view of CC from the starboard side was nice, but I really enjoyed watching us leave from the port side both times we were there. The CM's waving with their big old Mickey Hands is cute.

I was making myself crazy with the choice for our upcoming Panama Canal trip and finally picked starboard for two reasons. You can see the fireworks from the starboard verandahs and, I think, the sun will be stronger on the port side (south) on the actual canal crossing day. If I'm wrong on that one, we'll just watch from one of the decks. I'm a big big big Deck 4 fan, so I'll just park myself there.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #11
Stinkerbell1973
DIS Veteran

We were port side on our recent Fantasy sailing. Yes, our view was of the pier at Castaway Cay, but we didn't spend any time on the boat really there. Our view of St. Thomas though was of the bay and it was soooo nice. We got back to the ship that day around 3, and DH and I sat out on the verandah and read and just took it all in. Super relaxing.
Another point to consider about Castaway Cay is this....we had never been there before (this was our first DCL cruise) and I had not read this anywhere. We were out on the verandah as the ship was pulling out. Several CM's stood on the pier with their Mickey gloves on and waved goodbye to us. Many folks (including DH and me) were yelling "BYE!" and "THANK YOU" and the CM's were yelling back to us. And at the end....the CM's all bowed to us! And everyone standing on their verandahs or on any decks facing them just started clapping. It was a very moving moment and I'm not ashamed to say it brought tears to my eyes. Probably sounds cheesy in translation, but it was one of my favorite moments on the cruise because it was unexpected and it was so....."Disney".

Finally - port side, you get AMAZING sunrises from your verandah as you travel down to the islands and AMAZING sunsets as you travel back to Port Canaveral. Did I mention they were AMAZING???

Oct 08, Oct 09, Sept 10, Feb 11, Sept 13 - Ft. Wilderness | Mar 11 - All Star Sports | Sept 11 - Pop Century
Dec 11 - Christmas at Fort Wilderness | Feb 12 - Coronado Springs | Oct 12 - Paradise Pier (Disneyland) | Dec 12 - Port Orleans French Quarter | Dec 13 - Caribbean Beach

Disney Fantasy - Apr 2013, Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic - May/June 2014, Mediterranean

Sept 14 - Fort Wilderness
Stinkerbell1973 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: