Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 01:41 AM   #16
LittleBlackRaincloud
It's a disguise, not an attitude
Should wear a sun shirt for the next trip
Is haunted by visions of Elvis in the Mansion
All this talk has my uterus in a bunch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baliezer View Post
Not true!

I was stopped for trying to bring in a Starbucks Frappuccino in a glass bottle. It could have been a dangerous situation had I not thrown that away.
That's an interesting weapon of choice. I'd just grab one of the glasses/mugs on the shelf in the Emporium if needed.

Our Family: DH-Bruce , Me-Heather , DS7-Nathan , DS6-Nolan , DD4-Natalie
LittleBlackRaincloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #17
whoever
DIS Veteran

Is there a definitive list of disallowed items? I recall them looking into our bags but no idea what they were looking for.
whoever is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2013, 02:56 PM   #18
jenergy
I'm a human garbage disposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmband View Post
99% for show to give you a warm feeling
Seriously disney security is a joke. Anyone who wants to get something by them can do it easy and anyone who thinks they are safe because of the checkpoints is mistaken
You would be surprised. I guess if you really hid something but I think Disney security is less lenient as one would think and sees more than people think. I'm sure if someone is really adamant about bringing something in they could but that's true anywhere.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #19
disneydeb64
Got My Ears, Thank You : )

I hate to say it, but checking a backpack, bag, or purse is only just that. Realistically, anyone could wear or carry dangerous devices into the park, very easily. There are no pat-downs or even so much as a glance to the apparel visitors wear. I think we've all realized this since 9/11.
disneydeb64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #20
SMD
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't say it's 100% for show, they really do want to stop you from bringing in so much food that you won't buy anything in the parks. And alcohol, you have to buy your alcohol from the mouse. The CMs doing the bag check are not security, they switch out with the CMs at the turnstiles who scan tickets.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #21
jenergy
I'm a human garbage disposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydeb64 View Post
I hate to say it, but checking a backpack, bag, or purse is only just that. Realistically, anyone could wear or carry dangerous devices into the park, very easily. There are no pat-downs or even so much as a glance to the apparel visitors wear. I think we've all realized this since 9/11.
My boyfriend and I went through security and I just had a purse for them to check so we were quickly through with my boyfriend not even needing anything checked. He had forgotten that he had his knife stowed in his pants pocket which was pretty much concealed except for maybe 5% of it and they saw it and would not let us in. All we wanted to do was buy tickets so we tried walking away, waiting, then returning and a "plain" clothes security guard came out of no where and stopped us again before we even got back in line for security. You would be surprised....
Old 04-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #22
JalenJade
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoever View Post
Is there a definitive list of disallowed items? I recall them looking into our bags but no idea what they were looking for.
Pets (Service Animals are permitted and must be wearing an identifying assistive-companion vest; pets may be kept at the on-site kennel)
Wagons
Skateboards
Scooters (motorized and non-motorized)
Inline skates
Shoes with built-in wheels
Bicycles
Motorcycles
Tricycles
Unicycles
Pogo sticks
2-wheeled vehicles, including Segway™ Human Transporters
Strollers larger than 36" x 52"
Suitcases, backpacks or similar bags with wheels
Suitcases, backpacks or similar bags larger than 18" wide x 25" high x 37" deep (the size of our large rentable lockers)
Any trailer-like object that is pushed or towed by an ECV, wheelchair or stroller
Note: Guests are not permitted to pull items behind them. Any item that requires a Guest to pull it behind him or her, including a stroller, is not permitted into the theme parks.
Coolers larger than 6-pack sized are not permitted into the theme parks.
Note: Guest can store coolers up to 18" wide x 25" high x 37" deep in rentable large lockers located outside the Disneyland Park Main Entrance. Lockers are not refrigerated and availability is limited. Guests who need to refrigerate medication may do so at First Aid.
Exceptions may be made for special dietary or religious needs.
Alcoholic beverages
Any illegal substances
Folding chairs, with the exception of cane-chair and seat-walker mobility aids
Glass containers, with the exception of baby food containers, medicine or small perfume bottles (under 4 oz)
Water pistols, toy guns and replica weapons, with the exception of those sold in the Disneyland Resort
Sporting goods or equipment (e.g., baseball bats, helmets, hockey sticks, golf clubs, bows and arrows, camping equipment, chairs, stools, tables and Frisbees)
Weapons of any kind (including guns, knives, billy clubs, brass knuckles, nunchucks, stars and other martial arts equipment)
Self-defense equipment (pepper spray, mace, stun guns)
Restraining devices (e.g., handcuffs, zip ties) or any suspicious items (e.g., box cutters, razor blades, duct tape, wire)
Items that may be disruptive (e.g. laser pointers, slingshots, stink bombs, air horns)
Cremated remains (e.g., urns, vases, boxes)
Miscellaneous other items (tools, fire extinguishers, musical instruments, megaphones, pots and pans)
Professional photographers with professional cameras or recording equipment, who are visiting the Disneyland Resort with the intent to take photographs or recordings of people, Disneyland Resort properties, or icons for professional purposes must make prior arrangements with Disneyland Resort Media Relations.
Folding tripod stands or monopod stands that can fit inside a standard backpack are permitted.

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/faq/parks/#parks-q12
JalenJade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:07 PM   #23
DharmaLou
Once a Princess, Always a Princess

correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't TSA transportation security, not theme park security?
Old 04-25-2013, 11:41 PM   #24
Gatordude
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DharmaLou View Post
correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't TSA transportation security, not theme park security?
Believe so.

Yup
DD, 14
DS, 10

And, they all love DISNEY !!!

Quote:
It all started with a mouse....
Gatordude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:39 AM   #25
AZlady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JalenJade View Post

Pets (Service Animals are permitted and must be wearing an identifying assistive-companion vest; pets may be kept at the on-site kennel)
Wagons
Skateboards
Scooters (motorized and non-motorized)
Inline skates
Shoes with built-in wheels
Bicycles
Motorcycles
Tricycles
Unicycles
Pogo sticks
2-wheeled vehicles, including Segway™ Human Transporters
Strollers larger than 36" x 52"
Suitcases, backpacks or similar bags with wheels
Suitcases, backpacks or similar bags larger than 18" wide x 25" high x 37" deep (the size of our large rentable lockers)
Any trailer-like object that is pushed or towed by an ECV, wheelchair or stroller
Note: Guests are not permitted to pull items behind them. Any item that requires a Guest to pull it behind him or her, including a stroller, is not permitted into the theme parks.
Coolers larger than 6-pack sized are not permitted into the theme parks.
Note: Guest can store coolers up to 18" wide x 25" high x 37" deep in rentable large lockers located outside the Disneyland Park Main Entrance. Lockers are not refrigerated and availability is limited. Guests who need to refrigerate medication may do so at First Aid.
Exceptions may be made for special dietary or religious needs.
Alcoholic beverages
Any illegal substances
Folding chairs, with the exception of cane-chair and seat-walker mobility aids
Glass containers, with the exception of baby food containers, medicine or small perfume bottles (under 4 oz)
Water pistols, toy guns and replica weapons, with the exception of those sold in the Disneyland Resort
Sporting goods or equipment (e.g., baseball bats, helmets, hockey sticks, golf clubs, bows and arrows, camping equipment, chairs, stools, tables and Frisbees)
Weapons of any kind (including guns, knives, billy clubs, brass knuckles, nunchucks, stars and other martial arts equipment)
Self-defense equipment (pepper spray, mace, stun guns)
Restraining devices (e.g., handcuffs, zip ties) or any suspicious items (e.g., box cutters, razor blades, duct tape, wire)
Items that may be disruptive (e.g. laser pointers, slingshots, stink bombs, air horns)
Cremated remains (e.g., urns, vases, boxes)
Miscellaneous other items (tools, fire extinguishers, musical instruments, megaphones, pots and pans)
Professional photographers with professional cameras or recording equipment, who are visiting the Disneyland Resort with the intent to take photographs or recordings of people, Disneyland Resort properties, or icons for professional purposes must make prior arrangements with Disneyland Resort Media Relations.
Folding tripod stands or monopod stands that can fit inside a standard backpack are permitted.

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/faq/parks/#parks-q12
Darn- I was really looking forward to brining my hockey stick & fire extinguisher. Haha!
Thanks for sharing the list & link
Old 04-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #26
syudelson
Mouseketeer

Last January we were outside of Star Tours when security came by with a dog who "hit" on a bag in the bottom of a stroller. They were calling in backup and moving the stroller off to the side when we left.
syudelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #27
Purrkins
Mouseketeer

Disney's security is much more effective than one thinks and you are being scrutinized well before you enter bag check. Bag check is simply there to create a bottleneck to control the crowd while security behind-the-scenes does their job.

Pay enough attention and you'll notice plainclothes security on the tram from the parking lot to Downtown Disney and lots of plainclothes security milling about in front of bag check. (They all have Secret Service style earpieces)

Just don't point them out - I did that once with my wife and she looked and suddenly we had a 10 minute bag check. They checked every nook and cranny of my backpack to the point where I had to open my tupperware containers...

In my defense the security guy looked just like Samuel L. Jackson...
Purrkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #28
scarlet_ibis
"GET UP AND GET ON THE BUS!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by junmatno View Post
We were also there when the bombing happened, and the only thing I noticed different was the bomb/drug dogs in the park. We hasn't been in a few years so not sure if that kana regular thing.
We were also there that week. I noticed uniformed officers with dogs standing under the monorail tracks in DTD.
Off-property trips circa 1999, 1991, 1981
scarlet_ibis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #29
UnpokemonMom
Earning My Ears

My husband mentioned how subtle Disney security is in the parks (and these are just the uniformed guys wearing the white shirts). Our older son had a nosebleed while we were walking, and a security person came up in seconds (hadn't noticed him before) and pointed out the nearest first aid office.

I would think that in addition to the uniformed security, there must be a bunch of undercover security as well. At least, I hope so! I like being in the most magical place on earth and thinking my family is safe while there.
UnpokemonMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #30
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnpokemonMom View Post
I would think that in addition to the uniformed security, there must be a bunch of undercover security as well. At least, I hope so!
There are *so many* undercover people. Once you start looking for the earpieces, that's when you realize it.

I saw my first in a bathroom outside Space Mountain. First I saw a custodial CM going into each stall. I could hear her opening the little "trash" containers inside each stall, but she wasn't carrying a bag so she wasn't emptying the little cans. Just checking them.

I was washing my hands and looking around, because her behaviour was intriguing me, and I noticed a woman dressed in very very touristy sort of clothing. Shorts, casual top, teva type sandals. And then I saw the coiled wire going behind her ear and down into my shirt. She stopped to whisper with the custodial CM for a moment and then moved further into the bathroom.

That was a trip where we saw dogs out, too.

And now, when I get "bored" of the usual ways of enjoying my vacation, I look at peoples' ears, to see how many tourists aren't actually tourists. I like it!

Many many people have said (and I trust them) that the point of bag check is to slow people down so the real security work can happen. Observing people; their actions, behaviours, emotions. If they catch some knives and coffee bottles*, then it's all the better.

*yesterday was the MayDay rallies/protests in Seattle. One of the thing the BAD "protesters" (oh they are just jerks! I was working in Seattle during the WTO riots in '99 and the difference between the real protesters and the BAD "protesters" is night and day...a real protester doesn't come wearing black clothes and a face mask) were doing was getting glass bottles from the recycle bins on the sidewalks and stashing them away. And then later on they were throwing them at the police. You think a frappucino bottle couldn't do harm? You've never managed to drop one on your foot. And even if you don't intend to do harm, you've never cut the bottom of your toe open on someone else's broken bottle shards like I have. My sis in law tried to take one in with her once, and I'm glad they caught it. I was 14 when I cut my big toe on someone else's broken glass, and the scar is still huge and I still don't have total feeling in the bottom of my toe because of it.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: