Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #31
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiebee View Post
How do conventions usually impact the park?
We always seem to go during weeks that there are large conventions and we've honestly not found it to be an issue at the Parks, other than maybe Epcot during F&W at night but then again, Epcot is already crowded for F&W. We're booked this August from 18th-25th with the FD BB from last year and staying at CSR. I know there is a very large convention at that particular resort alone which starts the following week, I believe on the 26th of August and CSR had limited availability. I only know this because we had to tweak our dates twice already and I couldn't check-out later than the 25th as their was no availability in our room category. I also read there are a few other very large conventions at some of the other resorts so perhaps that combined with the FD BB made an impact on filling the resorts. For all those who have been patiently waiting, sending along some that you all get some sort of discount for the end of August!

mommyrosa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #32
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiebee View Post
How do conventions usually impact the park?
Evenings could see a slight increase in crowds and many conventions have an in-park private party. If you look at the calendars and see a 6pm closure at DHS, for example, it is likely closing early for a convention related party. On those nights, the non-convention crowds will have to head to MK and EPCOT because AK does not stay open very late.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #33
Team Bunch
Mouseketeer

We are still planning to come late August but very sad about free dining. Wondering how everyone is feeling about free dining being extended to October. We would move our dates to october if free dining was offered but if they are cutting back wonder if they won't extend it either.
Team Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #34
JollyHoliday
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
Evenings could see a slight increase in crowds and many conventions have an in-park private party. If you look at the calendars and see a 6pm closure at DHS, for example, it is likely closing early for a convention related party. On those nights, the non-convention crowds will have to head to MK and EPCOT because AK does not stay open very late.
Yes, I think you are right I just checked and on August 28 HS closes at 6 pm.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #35
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Bunch View Post
We are still planning to come late August but very sad about free dining. Wondering how everyone is feeling about free dining being extended to October. We would move our dates to october if free dining was offered but if they are cutting back wonder if they won't extend it either.
As someone going in October, I am hoping for the best, but expecting nothing. That is the best way to approach a Disney vacation for me. FD will really help us out this year more than ever. DH is a federal employee and will lose $1400 a month during the sequestration period. We are going with or without a discount, but it would sure be great to get some type of deal. At least we know that FD isn't dead, so that's a plus.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #36
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
I forgot about that..The only time we've gone during FD have been in the Fall months (Oct & Nov) so we are already used to MK closing early for either MNSSHP or MVMCP..haven't been impacted by an early closing at any other park though for a convention...we've been lucky

Old 04-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #37
JollyHoliday
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyrosa2 View Post
I forgot about that..The only time we've gone during FD have been in the Fall months (Oct & Nov) so we are already used to MK closing early for either MNSSHP or MVMCP..haven't been impacted by an early closing at any other park though for a convention...we've been lucky
We have always gone the last week in August with FD for about 6 years and also in April a couple weeks after easter. April is always much more crowded almost unbearable compared to August. Last August there were a few big conventions like tea party and some type of star wars convention. I did not notice anything different in the crowds and I can't remember the parks closing early. If the parks closed early last year we probably just planned around it with out noticing.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #38
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyHoliday View Post
We have always gone the last week in August with FD for about 6 years and also in April a couple weeks after easter. April is always much more crowded almost unbearable compared to August. Last August there were a few big conventions like tea party and some type of star wars convention. I did not notice anything different in the crowds and I can't remember the parks closing early. If the parks closed early last year we probably just planned around it with out noticing.
Thank you... very good to know. Last year was our first time going in August and we went the 2nd week with a RO pin code - free dining was starting the day we checked out and I was very pleasantly surprised by the crowd levels. Was starting to get a little nervous about going a little later this year after reading some past posts about FD making a huge impact on the end of August crowds.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #39
mskermit
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainK View Post
I am now impatiently waiting for late August discounts. Arriving 8/17 for 8 nights. I am now in AOA. LM room and see those rooms are now sold out. Thought it was a "slower period ". Hoping to upgrade to a deluxe if the 30% comes out....or free dining. I need one or the other to move. I called today and the CM told me to try again in July. I was like HUH???? JULY??!!

Please o please announce a discount!!!!!!
we are going aug 10-aug 17 in at AOA LM room and no discounts on those rooms its a suprise graduation trip so going either way.. but I did win a 1000.00 AAA gift card for my dinsey memory photo !!! that worked too
Caribbean Beach 08-12
POR Riverside 08-12
Art of Animation 08-13 & 03-14
Pop Century 9-14

mskermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #40
JollyHoliday
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyrosa2 View Post
Thank you... very good to know. Last year was our first time going in August and we went the 2nd week with a RO pin code - free dining was starting the day we checked out and I was very pleasantly surprised by the crowd levels. Was starting to get a little nervous about going a little later this year after reading some past posts about FD making a huge impact on the end of August crowds.
I really dont think it will be crowded even if fd was to be offered. It will be hot but not crowded.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #41
Jimmysmom0703
Mouseketeer

I cant see how Disney wouldnt do anything in between Aug 14 and Spet 2nd. Hopefully they will have something for those 3 weeks. I am going Aug 25/30 at AOA in LM but if no fd or room discount we might make it a shorter trip! Anyone agree?
Jimmysmom0703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #42
Sandmanswife9
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysmom0703 View Post
I cant see how Disney wouldnt do anything in between Aug 14 and Spet 2nd. Hopefully they will have something for those 3 weeks. I am going Aug 25/30 at AOA in LM but if no fd or room discount we might make it a shorter trip! Anyone agree?
I have to agree. No FD for us is going to be a bummer. We will end up paying $1400 for our trip, and that is way more than we planned. Might have to figure something else out as we have booked our air. So sad that they won't be offering it this year.
Sandmanswife9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #43
2Pirates2Princesses
DIS Veteran

It seems like the free dining timeframes are getting much smaller and less frequent . It doesn't surprise me though that they aren't offering a general public FD offer for August this year because last year only the very last week of August was included and this past Jan/Feb, the stay/play/dine promo was offered to the general public instead of free dining. Our last WDW trip was the third week of August in 2011 and we had our pick of either free dining or kids stay/play free. I feel for those who were planning to go the last two weeks of August and were hoping for FD since it was offered for so many years. Free dining really made it financially feasible for my family of six to stay onsite for our last WDW trip because a room only discount is minimal savings for us since our budget limits us to either two rooms or a family suite at the value resort level. September seems to be like a for sure month for FD since it is still the overall lowest crowd month at WDW and still hurricane season; but it is very tough for us to pull our kids out of school during that timeframe which made late August free dining so nice for our family.
2Pirates2Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #44
Coconuts
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Pirates2Princesses View Post
It seems like the free dining timeframes are getting much smaller and less frequent . It doesn't surprise me though that they aren't offering a general public FD offer for August this year because last year only the very last week of August was included and this past Jan/Feb, the stay/play/dine promo was offered to the general public instead of free dining. Our last WDW trip was the third week of August in 2011 and we had our pick of either free dining or kids stay/play free. I feel for those who were planning to go the last two weeks of August and were hoping for FD since it was offered for so many years. Free dining really made it financially feasible for my family of six to stay onsite for our last WDW trip because a room only discount is minimal savings for us since our budget limits us to either two rooms or a family suite at the value resort level. September seems to be like a for sure month for FD since it is still the overall lowest crowd month at WDW and still hurricane season; but it is very tough for us to pull our kids out of school during that timeframe which made late August free dining so nice for our family.
This is exactly the same situation for us, except we have a family of 5.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #45
DISzy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandmanswife9

I have to agree. No FD for us is going to be a bummer. We will end up paying $1400 for our trip, and that is way more than we planned. Might have to figure something else out as we have booked our air. So sad that they won't be offering it this year.
Don't lose hope yet. There is rumor of a RO discount for mid-August through September. It is not unusual for there to be both types of discounts offered in September.
DISzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: