Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #31
gotomu212
Mouseketeer

My husband and 5 year old do wear khaki shorts to a few of the dinners. Nice, clean shorts and polos with sweater vests like we would wear to a garden party (Conneticut casual for anyone you watches The Office).

I will say in 5 cruises with different table mates the men have always worn khakis to a few of the meals. So to the OP question, I would consider it a fairly common practice.

I apologize to anyone this offends, but kindly ask that you get out from underneath our table cloth since that's where all those naked knees are going.
gotomu212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #32
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotomu212 View Post
My husband and 5 year old do wear khaki shorts to a few of the dinners. Nice, clean shorts and polos with sweater vests like we would wear to a garden party (Conneticut casual for anyone you watches The Office).

I will say in 5 cruises with different table mates the men have always worn khakis to a few of the meals. So to the OP question, I would consider it a fairly common practice.

I apologize to anyone this offends, but kindly ask that you get out from underneath our table cloth since that's where all those naked knees are going.
you should not apolgize for your comment because as you stated, that is what you are going to do, regardless of the recommendations from DCL. I do not have a problem with a 5 year old wearing shorts, but do have a concern when adults choose to disregard DCL policy.

I am 100% for anyone writing DCL and asking that they change the dress code for the MDR dinner. I would support anyone requesting such a change. Maybe not support the request, but supporting anyone in the right to send a request. If Disney says that they like the current dress code, we all should support their decision or choose to dine elsewhere or maybe even change cruise lines.

I don't feel I have the right to go around and decide if I am going to follow a particular rule or not. I have the right to advocate for change or have the right to take my financial dollar elsewhere.

I am is no way trying to affend anyone, that is not my point but only to show another side of the issue. VR

Total: 21 DCL Cruises / Total Nights on Board: 117 / Favorite Ship: Magic

2014 - 3 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 1-Fantasy
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

MAGIC - 6, WONDER - 5, DREAM - 7, FANTASY - 3
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #33
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glfnjoe View Post
ROTFL
I think I saw that couple on my first cruise on a "Fun Ship".
We have only cruised on Carnival and the first cruise there was some people that were a little over the top at dinner. On formal night they wore jeans and faux tux t-shirts. They really stood out.

Looking forward to our Dream cruise next month.
I also saw 'that' couple on my cruise this past January and it was on the Fantasy! Been on several Carnival cruises and didn't see anyone dressed like that at dinner.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #34
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndNick View Post
Everything is good for dinner except for

Here's the thing that doesn't make sense though....those in the pics above would technically be "compliant" with the dress code/policy/request/rule/suggestion.

However, a man with a nice pair of khaki shorts, boat shoes, and a polo or button-down (meaning: collared) shirt is not. Now, wouldn't everyone think the "non-compliant" man is the one better or more appropriately dressed?

IMO, the code/policy/request/rule/suggestion is not very well written. I think they should have also stressed what you should wear - such as requiring collared shirts for men - instaed of just listing what you should not wear.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #35
Jajajuna
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnDRader View Post
The people who flaunt the dress code stand out, and not in a good way.
Ok ok ok... I'm so unsure of what to pack it's just a joke now. I didn't even realize there WAS a formal night until our notebook thingy came. I've never been on ANY cruise before (we are simply Disney World nuts).
So, I borrowed a dress to wear for formal night and I informed my DH that he'd need to pack his suit and he was like, "whaaaaaaa?!" But now there is a possibility we will "stand out in a bad way?"
Somebody please just tell me what to wear to formal night?? lol Is a long black dress with minimal beading at the waist too much? Does my DH need his suit coat or just a tie?
Jajajuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #36
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jajajuna View Post
Ok ok ok... I'm so unsure of what to pack it's just a joke now. I didn't even realize there WAS a formal night until our notebook thingy came. I've never been on ANY cruise before (we are simply Disney World nuts).
So, I borrowed a dress to wear for formal night and I informed my DH that he'd need to pack his suit and he was like, "whaaaaaaa?!" But now there is a possibility we will "stand out in a bad way?"
Somebody please just tell me what to wear to formal night?? lol Is a long black dress with minimal beading at the waist too much? Does my DH need his suit coat or just a tie?
For formal nights I've worn long gowns (with and without a tiara), cocktail midlength dress, dress black slacks with a sparkly top on various cruises. I've never felt overdressed or "out of place". DH usually wears his suit (with jacket and tie) for formal nights, and dress shirt and tie for semi-formal nights.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #37
GoofyTwinDad
Mouseketeer

If you come to the DIS for insight on wearing shorts you will probably get a 60-40% in favor of following DCL's "requested attire guidelines". On the other hand if you polled non-DIS'ers you would get a 80-20% in favor of wearing shorts to the MDR's IMHO. The large majority of those who cruise DCL do not belong to the DIS family. If you take this into account, that is why DCL will never enforce their guidelines. They realize they will never make everyone happy, making thr vast majority happy is part of their successful business strategy.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #38
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

I'll admit I felt terrible on our first cruise when we went to Royal Palette because for the first time I didn't double check my luggage and I brought no jeans for Pirate Night! So for Pirate night I was forced to wear my "dress" shorts to the MDR. We call them "dress" shorts where I am from because if it is 100 degrees outside no one is going to wear dress pants or a long dress unless you are actually in a Wedding.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #39
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

On formal night, I saw men in tshirt jeans and thin flip flops. Unreal...
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #40
carmie3377
Hi, I'm Carmen and I'm a Disneyholic.

Location: Exactly 983 miles from the Magic Kingdom and 1,541 from Disneyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve
On formal night, I saw men in tshirt jeans and thin flip flops. Unreal...
Yeah, on the 2011 pc cruise, I saw a young lady in VERY short denim cutoffs and others in workout attire. I don't think it's appropriate any night, much less formal night.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Aug/03 - 1st Trip DL Aug/04 - FW Cabins 1st trip WDW Jun/05 - WDW offsite Dec/06 - ASMo/OKW & MVMCP Jan/08 - POR BFF trip Sept-Oct/08 - AKV & MNSSHP Dec/09 - Pop*Disney Magic 7 nt Eastern w/ Tortola*Pop again Jan/11 - Disney Wonder 15 nt Panama Canal WB Nov/11 - Cor Spngs w/my honey Dec/11 - AKV Kidani w/ the kids Oct/12 - CR/Poly & MNSSHP Mar/13 - Disney Fantasy 7 nt Eastern w/San Juan May/13 - Disney Magic 6 nt Western w/my honey June/13 - SSR Girls Only Trip Sept/13 - Disneyland Paris w/my honey Oct/13 - BC & MNSSHP w/my honey

carmie3377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #41
tajz90
Mama D

Our last cruise, I saw a woman in a very short, very tight and very low cut sequin dress that looked a size too small accompanied by extremely high heels. I didn't think that was appropriate.

Dressy/formal/appropriate is subjective.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #42
Plaid Princess
Recovering CM, Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell 766 View Post
I am probably in the minority, but I wish DCL would 'encourage' the rules more forcefully, especially on formal night. I love to see the ladies in formal gowns and the men in their dinner suits and bow ties. Makes for a real sense of occasion!!!
I guess it is the Brit in me!!!!
I'm right there with you! Hubby and I dress up every night, even when it's not "formal night". It's part of the experience for us! It makes for better pictures, and gives me an excuse to wear my dressy clothes.

Of course, we dress in full pirate regalia on pirate night too.

Plaid Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #43
jk8
Mouseketeer

Come on people , just follow the dress code - no shorts.
jk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #44
yaddakal
Mouseketeer

First timer about to go on three night here....

We have matching pirate mickey tshirts for pirate night. Can we wear them to dining room?

Disney All Star Movies May 2009
Disney Port Orleans Riverside 2010
Disney Coronado Springs/Dream Cruise May 2013
Booked for Fantasy August 2014
yaddakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #45
mom2william
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaddakal View Post
First timer about to go on three night here....

We have matching pirate mickey tshirts for pirate night. Can we wear them to dining room?
Yes!!!
mom2william is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: