Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #16
ChrizJen
I am not a Koala Bear at the zoo!!
Sorry about the lack of linkage
Oh, I can't believe what I let you people rope me into!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd2745 View Post
It's all good. I don't get upset over all this like some do.

To me, at least, a big part of it has to do with the fact that these days most cruises take place in tropical locations. When your days are mostly centered around beaches and activites like snorkeling and dolphin encounters, etc., I don't believe it lends itself well to switch to a formal atmosphere at night. Now, if you're talking about a transatlantic cruise where it is all sea days, I think that does lend itself to a much more formal atmosphere and I think formal nights are a lot more appropriate.
Well put! We went all out on our last cruise for formal night, and the pictures were nice, but it was SUCH a chore! I couldn't really put my finger on it, but I think you nailed it! It's the complete 180 you have to do to get all done up after a long day of fun in the sun...it adds a bit of "stiffness" to the otherwise relaxed, fun day you just had. We're definitely skipping formal night on this next cruise! If Khakis and a polo aren't enough, we won't be taking part. (and for the record, we're completely OK going to the buffet that night. Not complaining at all.)
Old 04-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #17
Buster131
Earning My Ears

I also like an excuse to get dressed up BUT not while cruising with a toddler. If it was just the wife and I, absolutely. Now, on the other hand, shorts to the MDRs for supper, not ok for me.
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #18
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell 766 View Post
I am probably in the minority, but I wish DCL would 'encourage' the rules more forcefully, especially on formal night. I love to see the ladies in formal gowns and the men in their dinner suits and bow ties. Makes for a real sense of occasion!!!
I guess it is the Brit in me!!!!

TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #19
JnDRader
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCisME View Post
Can men wear khaki shorts to dinner? If not, do they anyway?
I took 2 pair of nice khaki slacks. One pair was just a backup. They take so little space there's really not a good reason to not take a pair. If/when we do a cruise with a formal night I'll either rent on board or bring a suit. The people who flaunt the dress code stand out, and not in a good way.

JnDRader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #20
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
DCL still requests that shorts not be worn to the casual restaurant for dinner.
But as we can all read it's a request and is not required.

Dress Code
The dress code for dinner is cruise casual. However, you are requested to not wear tank tops, swim wear or shorts for dinner.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/sh...psider-buffet/
Really? I wasn't aware that it applied to the casual restaurant for dinner - we've always worn shorts there and never been eyed or questioned or anything (and yeah, I know they don't enforce the rules but we never saw anything that said please no shorts like we do for the main dining rooms). Thanks for pointing this out.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #21
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

We always dress nice for formal night, do updo's nice hair etc. Even on the carvnivals, we are a nice lookin' bunch! It's a great opportunity to take a dressy photo that only weddings etc. would afford the opportunity to do.
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:17 PM   #22
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

I too think formal nights will be history in a few years. Society has changed and continues to change. My Grandparents wore suits and dresses everywhere! I wore a tie evey single day by first 10 years I worked in a corporate 500 company and then we went to casual Fridays....and it was a slippery slope. Now every days is 'business casual'. I don't even have a suit that fits any more! I have 40 ties in my closset that I've not worn in 15 years except to funerals!

I equate the dinning on DCL to be on a par with Applebees, Outback, Ruby Tuesday and Olive Garden. When we go out to eat there, we dress 'business casual'. But it a wedding party or graduation party came in wearing tuxes and evening dresses, the would not be out of place. And if another family came in wearing shorts and Polos, they would not be out of place either.

I guess what I'm getting at is, you will only be out of place is you dress different than you dinner party. If they are all in suits and ties you will look like a dolt wearing shorts. Likewise, if they are all casual and you are in an top hat and tails.....

Live and let live!
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 9-day DCL Venice/Greece 6/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #23
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

DCL asks us not to wear shorts in the MDR. They have very little other requests of us while on board. DCL sets a dress code so that the MDR's create a nice atmosphere for us. And then some folks ask the question, well if I choose to wear what I want and ignore what they ask, what will they do to me? Choose a different dining experience or change cruise lines.

A PP posted that the spouse had always just worn shorts to dinner and truly didn't know about the dress code. Also stating that no CM informed them of the recommendation. Well, the CM's might not have because they know there is no informacement. And for sure the service team is not going to say anything, uhhhhh tip! But hopefully now that the PP noticed that shorts are not supposed to be worn, he will abide by the dress code.

It comes down to respecting the wishes of DCL. It doesn't matter what we want to wear for dinner in their MDR's. We should all conform to their request or as stated above, and dress accordingly or find another option.

Total: 21 DCL Cruises / Total Nights on Board: 117 / Favorite Ship: Magic

2014 - 3 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 1-Fantasy
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

MAGIC - 6, WONDER - 5, DREAM - 7, FANTASY - 3
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #24
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justacruiser View Post
DCL asks us not to wear shorts in the MDR. They have very little other requests of us while on board. DCL sets a dress code so that the MDR's create a nice atmosphere for us. And then some folks ask the question, well if I choose to wear what I want and ignore what they ask, what will they do to me? Choose a different dining experience or change cruise lines.

A PP posted that the spouse had always just worn shorts to dinner and truly didn't know about the dress code. Also stating that no CM informed them of the recommendation. Well, the CM's might not have because they know there is no informacement. And for sure the service team is not going to say anything, uhhhhh tip! But hopefully now that the PP noticed that shorts are not supposed to be worn, he will abide by the dress code.

It comes down to respecting the wishes of DCL. It doesn't matter what we want to wear for dinner in their MDR's. We should all conform to their request or as stated above, and dress accordingly or find another option.
It's not even about CM's saying anything - we've never noticed anything on DCL's website about dining (and until today I didn't know they had a separate Topsider's page - we had seen the main dining room recommendations with please no shorts) but even on the Navigators we hadn't noticed anything specifically for Topsiders about dress for dinner. They post about attire for the main dining room and we abide by that when we choose to eat there.

The thing is that if they don't want shorts in even the casual dining room for dinner, then the other dining option is room service or pizza from Pinocchio's because the other counter-service options close by dinner time. I really wish that DCL would change to a buffet option in Topsiders for dinner rather than just the seated option.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #25
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

Everything is good for dinner except for

MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #26
lesabrowning
Mouseketeer

I am in the "dress for dinner" camp. I also enjoy formal night. My husband has cruised with a tux and cruised with a suit on several cruise lines and he swears it is not a big deal. I would not have him buy/rent a tux if he did not own one, instead I would have him bring a suit. (No suit? Dark dress pants with a dress shirt and tie is respectable, even for formal night) I think it shows basic respect for DCL, the staff and your fellow passengers. It makes things special, at least for many of us. We also have kids and have traveled with them since they were infants, again not a big deal to dress them for dinner. Heck, short sailor suits ARE a pair if shorts appropriate in the MDR.... on a toddler. ha ha Dressing for dinner does not have to be expensive or uncomfortable. Shorts in the MDR is rude, in my opinion. (But I agree they should be allowed in the casual restaurants at dinner) How hard is it to swap those khaki shorts with a pair of khaki pants? Voila, problem solved and you look great : )

lesabrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #27
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

We got our cruise information for next month's cruise a little while back. In the packet it had dining room attire information. I do believe that they need to ensure that all cruisers are aware of the dress code request before they board the ship.

On DisneyCruise.COM I just placed "dress Code" in the search box at the top of the home page. The first item that pulled up is the following:

1. Onboard Dining Attire - FAQs In general, dinner attire for most meals on Disney Cruise Line is Cruise Casual  no shorts, swimwear or tank tops. Most cruises have special theme nights with attire requirements

I have never eaten dinner outside the MDR while on board. I have done the PALO brunch a couple of times. It would be nice to have a buffet at dinner option, but that would give guests more options than the MDR. They keep food costs down which keeps our costs down by having us eat in the MDR or pay for the options (besides the fast food options), which they can forecast. Having us all in the MDR also reduces DCL's server salary costs because they know we are going to tip. Allow the buffet every night, and some will not tip because they will never eat in the MDR's. It all has an economic trickle down effect.

Total: 21 DCL Cruises / Total Nights on Board: 117 / Favorite Ship: Magic

2014 - 3 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 1-Fantasy
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

MAGIC - 6, WONDER - 5, DREAM - 7, FANTASY - 3
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #28
Glfnjoe
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndNick View Post
Everything is good for dinner except for
ROTFL
I think I saw that couple on my first cruise on a "Fun Ship".
We have only cruised on Carnival and the first cruise there was some people that were a little over the top at dinner. On formal night they wore jeans and faux tux t-shirts. They really stood out.

Looking forward to our Dream cruise next month.
Glfnjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #29
lovetotraveltx
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCisME View Post
Thanks for all the replies. We are out shopping and all of a sudden I wasn't positive.

We do have formal attire for formal night, but might lean to shorts for the men for other dinner.
We live in a hot place. So, my husband's "uniform" is a polo and shorts with deck shoes. But, even he wouldn't wear them to dinner.

The dining rooms are very pretty and most people do change for dinner. I think a polo and khakis are more then fine but shorts IMHO are not appropriate.

Just my 2 cents.
lovetotraveltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #30
lovetotraveltx
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesabrowning View Post
I am in the "dress for dinner" camp. I also enjoy formal night. My husband has cruised with a tux and cruised with a suit on several cruise lines and he swears it is not a big deal. I would not have him buy/rent a tux if he did not own one, instead I would have him bring a suit. (No suit? Dark dress pants with a dress shirt and tie is respectable, even for formal night) I think it shows basic respect for DCL, the staff and your fellow passengers. It makes things special, at least for many of us. We also have kids and have traveled with them since they were infants, again not a big deal to dress them for dinner. Heck, short sailor suits ARE a pair if shorts appropriate in the MDR.... on a toddler. ha ha Dressing for dinner does not have to be expensive or uncomfortable. Shorts in the MDR is rude, in my opinion. (But I agree they should be allowed in the casual restaurants at dinner) How hard is it to swap those khaki shorts with a pair of khaki pants? Voila, problem solved and you look great : )
lovetotraveltx is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: