Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #31
disneypharm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Here in Denver there is little inventory and homes are getting multiple offers and driving prices up. I currently have my house in Kansas City for sale (moved to CO 4 1/2 years ago right as the bottom dropped out of the housing market) and inventory is low and I've had quite a bit of interest in my home (listed Saturday) but no offer yet. Definitely not as hot as Denver.

Jill in CO
I agree. We are in the suburb of Denver and it is definitely getting better. A neighbor's house got 3 offers the weekend it went on the market and the offer that was higher than the asking price got the house. It is 200K higher than what we paid 12 years ago but about 30K less than the peak. Zillow is definitely not accurate.
disneypharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #32
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
You think that is a big or small difference? Given that Zillow uses mathamatical formulas that don't take into account condition and other factors, I would consider their estimates generally amazingly close.
My family has a house that will be up for sale in the future, and I have found the appraisals to be out of touch with real selling prices. A house in the neighborhood appraised for $700,000, zillow had it at $800,000. The owner listed it for $999,950 and sold it for $899,950.
It depends on location, I think. Zillow here is stupid-wrong. They have my home as worth 82K and there's no way it would appraise at even half that. They also have the value of the house next door, which just sold for 22K, listed as 60K.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #33
disneymagicgirl
Been there, Done that, Going back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post

It depends on location, I think. Zillow here is stupid-wrong. They have my home as worth 82K and there's no way it would appraise at even half that. They also have the value of the house next door, which just sold for 22K, listed as 60K.
Wow, that's amazing pricing for homes! Most cars around our area are $60k. Not mine of course!
offsite in 1988,AKL 5/04,POP 6/05,ASMu 12/05 with MVMCP, ASMo 9/06 w/ MNSSHP,4/09 AKL, 9/09 MNSSHP & 7nt E.Carib DCL w/ Tortola, 10/10 Poly w/ MNSSHP, 10/11 POFQ w/ MNSSHP, 5/12 DCL Fantasy W. Carib and AKL/MK, 05/13 BC, 11/15 YC
disneymagicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #34
usd2bmd
DIS Veteran

We never really saw the dramatic increase in real estate values and luckily never saw them fall off the cliff either. Our house has steadily increased in value in the 20 years we have owned it. As long as it continues to steadily gain value I will be happy...you know what they say, "slow and steady wins the race!"
June 2002 - Off-site June 2005 - All-Star Movies Resort** August 2006 - Caribbean Beach Resort**September 2007 - Caribbean Beach Resort**August 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside**August 2009 - Port Orleans Riverside
February 2010 - Caribbean Cruise/Carnival Liberty**August 2011 - Caribbean Cruise Carnival Liberty**August 2013 - Eastern Caribbean Cruise Carnival Dream

usd2bmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #35
MinnieFan4ever

DIS Cast Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneypharm View Post
I agree. We are in the suburb of Denver and it is definitely getting better. A neighbor's house got 3 offers the weekend it went on the market and the offer that was higher than the asking price got the house. It is 200K higher than what we paid 12 years ago but about 30K less than the peak. Zillow is definitely not accurate.
Yikes! We are moving to the Denver area soon.
MinnieFan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:41 PM   #36
wendow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieFan4ever View Post
You might want to plan on renting for a bit. The market here is CRAZY and not in a good way for buyers.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:22 AM   #37
disneypharm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieFan4ever View Post
I wouldn't worry too much. Do your research online before moving. There are still some good areas with reasonable prices.
disneypharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:06 AM   #38
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

NW IL here and the market sucks. Our home is worth about what we paid for it 18 years ago. We have had it on the market for 2 years with no luck in selling it. The forclosures that are super cheap are selling to one local property management/realty company. The rest of us regular sellers are just sitting and waiting for buyers. I watched one house start at $300,000 and 3 years later sell for $125,000 and one that sold in one month for just under asking price so who knows. The news keeps saying sales are up in our area and realty is doing great but I certainly don't see that happening around me. I see a lot of forclosures being bought up and bringing down the price of regular properties though.

I guess it doesn't help that we have a very high unemployment rate either. There are very few jobs and a lot of people fighting for them.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #39
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
I can see that. But that has been my experience with appraisals too. Way off what houses actually are selling for. We sold my MIL's house in Probate, so had to get an appraisal. We actually sold the house before we got the appraisal. Listed for $110,000, sold for $105,000, which at the time was the highest selling price for that floor plan. Appraisal came in at $135,000. Both our Real Estate Agent, and the buyers Real Estate Agent could not figure where THAT number came from.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #40
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymagicgirl View Post
Wow, that's amazing pricing for homes! Most cars around our area are $60k. Not mine of course!
It is, and it has enabled us to do wonderful things. We took a gamble, burning through so much of our savings to buy this place, but not having a mortgage has been really liberating. We wouldn't have been able to consider private school for our girls or take as many vacations as we have... Heck, there have been times where it would have been a stretch just to keep up college & retirement contributions if we were still paying a mortgage every month.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #41
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

Zillow doesn't even list a price for my house. I think it thinks it's free.

But that graph is actually a perfect example of our home. It says that house prices are about the same as what they were in 2004. We bought in 2004-- and the value of our house is pretty much the same now as what we paid for it then. Prices are slowly going up.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #42
amylevan
DIS Veteran

I would take anything zillow says with a grain of salt. I live in a development all built by the same builder, and a couple of house away is the same model as us, just mirror imaged. I've been inside their house and there are no major differences in quality of things like flooring, kitchen & baths. Same acreage, but we have more of the wooded area cleared with grass planted. But, they are on the corner, so 1 side of their property is adjacent to a higher traffic road, which is NOT something I would assume would be desirable.

Zillow has their house as $43,000 more than ours.
2007 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
2008 - Fort Wilderness
2010 (x2) - Fort Wilderness
2012 - Fort Wilderness
2014 - Fort Wilderness
amylevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #43
disneymagicgirl
Been there, Done that, Going back!

Quote:

It is, and it has enabled us to do wonderful things. We took a gamble, burning through so much of our savings to buy this place, but not having a mortgage has been really liberating. We wouldn't have been able to consider private school for our girls or take as many vacations as we have... Heck, there have been times where it would have been a stretch just to keep up college & retirement contributions if we were still paying a mortgage every month.
Color me jealous!
offsite in 1988,AKL 5/04,POP 6/05,ASMu 12/05 with MVMCP, ASMo 9/06 w/ MNSSHP,4/09 AKL, 9/09 MNSSHP & 7nt E.Carib DCL w/ Tortola, 10/10 Poly w/ MNSSHP, 10/11 POFQ w/ MNSSHP, 5/12 DCL Fantasy W. Carib and AKL/MK, 05/13 BC, 11/15 YC
disneymagicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #44
emilymad
DIS Veteran

SEPA here. We bought in 2008 on the down swing. Our house would sell for about $30K less than what we bought it for. At the worst it was probably $55K less what we bought it at. I think things are starting to sell a little better. I live in a townhouse community where the difference in houses is never that great. There are always a dozen or so homes for sale. Some have been on the market for a long time but many seem to have sold in the past few months.

I use the realtor.com app. It gives you current list prices plus what houses sold for. I feel that it gives a slightly more accurate number than Zillow. It just gives the sale price so there is no way of knowing what the seller gave back to the buyer at closing.

The same builder is starting a new development next to ours but the houses are about 1,000 square feet smaller that my neighborhood. It is going to be interesting how that effects things.
emilymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:17 PM   #45
QVCshopper
DIS Veteran

I'll chime in from SE PA. We just put our house on the market (for about $100K more than we bought it for 11 years ago) and have had three showings scheduled in 24 hours, so I'm hoping it sells quick. One down the road sold in three days with multiple offers at asking price--but that was a four bedroom while ours is 3. We are the only ones in our whole town right now within a $15K gap. But I have to say that selling a house is quite stressful with three kids! It seems to me like the inventory was fairly more lush earlier this year and it's hit a lull, with not much available. We rushed to get on the market--took us just about ten days. Have never worked so hard in my life.
QVCshopper is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: